C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

JL-Motoring Big Fin Diffuser, Not fitting correctly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2016 | 06:41 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 2010 4Matic Sport AMG Package
JL-Motoring Big Fin Diffuser, Not fitting correctly

I bought my first Big fin diffuser back in mid-july had it installed by professionals, but then the diffuser begun to show like a crack in the diffuser and started to sag out. I couldn't return it because I had someone else installed.

First Diffuser

First Diffser Close up

So I then bought another one thinking maybe that it was either my mechanic or either a imperfection. I went ahead and installed the new one with nothing but my hand no tools what so ever.

Second Diffuser

Second diffuser close up

Wondering if anyone had the same issue or can help me with a fix... There no way I'm paying for this one if I can't get it fixed, I'll be making a claim on my CC.
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Where did you buy it? Link?
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:49 PM

R8, C63, C300
Same thing happened to me with carbon fiber. I went back to OEM. Mine was a Vorsteiner diffuser that I spent almost $1000 on. Expensive mistake, never again. These carbon fiber diffusers are a PITA to install and when you do get it installed, there is no flex/give in it so when you hit a bump, it cracks and/or stretches out the bumper.
The following users liked this post:
Rtarson (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I'm looking for a big fin diffuser, eventually to buy, on a side note any recommendations?
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by black lavender
Same thing happened to me with carbon fiber. I went back to OEM. Mine was a Vorsteiner diffuser that I spent almost $1000 on. Expensive mistake, never again. These carbon fiber diffusers are a PITA to install and when you do get it installed, there is no flex/give in it so when you hit a bump, it cracks and/or stretches out the bumper.
Thanks for letting me know this... I'm trying to find maybe a body shop that can get this installed without having the bumper on the car. I'm too afraid off doing cause if I make a mistake it's out of me pocket...

Thanks for the tip and glade I'm not the only one with this ****ty issue.
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I'm looking for a big fin diffuser, eventually to buy, on a side note any recommendations?
jl-motoring.com is where I bought mine, but each diffuser I have received seems to be one of a kind (in a bad way). When buying carbon fiber demand photos before buying also be very careful with it, the grade of Carbon Fiber these company use is like complete ****. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche they use carbon fiber to sub out for metal somehow I don't believe these CF Diffuser, spoiler, front splitters company's are the same stuff they use for cars that have CF for OEM because this **** does not hold.
Old 08-04-2016 | 06:59 PM

Sorry I can't but help notice your forums signature, but wheres your car lol it all says (wife's car) did she like claim all your cars or something like that
Old 08-04-2016 | 07:17 PM

R8, C63, C300
Originally Posted by Rtarson
Sorry I can't but help notice your forums signature, but wheres your car lol it all says (wife's car) did she like claim all your cars or something like that
Happy wife, Happy life

The Mercedes body shop installed mine and they told me it took 3 mechanics to get it on.

http://www.rwcarbon.com/ is probably your best bet.
Old 08-04-2016 | 07:23 PM

Happy wife, Happy life .
^ If you say so! I like the people who have like a SLS AMG and a License Plate that says "No Wife" or "No Kids".

BTW I'm probably going to call PayPal tomorrow put a hold on the order that way they will be more attentive to my issue.
Old 08-04-2016 | 07:30 PM

2014 C300 Sport
Mine was a facelift diffuser, but I just bought a Taiwanese ebay CF diffuser and it has held up great so far...
Old 08-04-2016 | 09:48 PM

2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
I would pm JL who is a sponsor here and see if they can't help you out prior to placing a dispute. I have not been on this forum long but a long time car forum user and when these things happen its maybe best to start with a pm and give them a chance. Just a thought
Old 08-06-2016 | 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
I would pm JL who is a sponsor here and see if they can't help you out prior to placing a dispute. I have not been on this forum long but a long time car forum user and when these things happen its maybe best to start with a pm and give them a chance. Just a thought
I been emailing him constently everytime I bring up returning it to get fixed or replaced they are not to fond of it. Being I bought 2 of the same product and both did exactly the same I outta get the best support ever.

Trust me Ive been trying to work with them.
Old 08-06-2016 | 11:24 AM

2011 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sedan
Lol, just had to make a thread huh...I've told you many times, find a different mechanic. Your mechanic took ONE WEEK to install an Xpipe + muffler delete a job that is a 1 hour job with a capable shop. I'm sure he's a good repair mechanic though. Take the diffuser to a Body Shop, I'm almost positive it;s the way you are installing it dude. I kept telling you to install it with the bumper off which you said you DID, but above you said you didn't. Did you even try a heat gun yet? James isn't fond of returning because he knows your just installing it wrong. I can tell as much as him that this is your first time modding a car lol. You also bought JL's DTM Spoiler and a front lip which you told me is spot on, not to mention almost all my CF parts are from JL-Motoring and never had a complaint (among the many others who bought from them). Granted these are aftermarket pieces made from moldings from who knows when, I think its unlikely that JL would send you two diffusers with the same exact problem. The only problem is with your install my dude!

I already linked it to you, but for everybody else here's how finicky these diffusers can be...The fitment on this looked horrible compared to this post...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-correct.html

How it looks now on his IG with the same diffuser...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHBKKZSB...bjornthebear97

Last edited by mr.brightside; 08-06-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2016 | 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mr.brightside
Lol, just had to make a thread huh...I've told you many times, find a different mechanic. Your mechanic took ONE WEEK to install an Xpipe + muffler delete a job that is a 1 hour job with a capable shop. I'm sure he's a good repair mechanic though. Take the diffuser to a Body Shop, I'm almost positive it;s the way you are installing it dude. I kept telling you to install it with the bumper off which you said you DID, but above you said you didn't. Did you even try a heat gun yet? James isn't fond of returning because he knows your just installing it wrong. I can tell as much as him that this is your first time modding a car lol. You also bought JL's DTM Spoiler and a front lip which you told me is spot on, not to mention almost all my CF parts are from JL-Motoring and never had a complaint (among the many others who bought from them). Granted these are aftermarket pieces made from moldings from who knows when, I think its unlikely that JL would send you two diffusers with the same exact problem. The only problem is with your install my dude!

I already linked it to you, but for everybody else here's how finicky these diffusers can be...The fitment on this looked horrible compared to this post...

Yeah and thank you for the link but his looks like it's just not holding mine keeps bending. Im gonna take a heat gun to it tonight but two of the clips are missing/james cut it off. And where the part is sagging down is where a clip use to be.

There was a spot on the spoiler but i'm guessing once the 3M tape was on the back it didnt allow light to go through it causing it not to look bad. I've attach a photo of the spoiler.

I got no issue with the spoiler because it seems to worked out. I'm just not happy with the diffuser because it just doesnt look repairable to me.
Attached Thumbnails JL-Motoring Big Fin Diffuser, Not fitting correctly-20160804_103249.jpg  
Old 08-06-2016 | 12:35 PM

I installed the new diffuser myself this time and not the mechanic.
Old 08-06-2016 | 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mr.brightside

I'm just confused and stuck, ****s getting really pricey. But if you were in my position bought 2x 450$ diffuser and both don't look good and in upstate NY where CF is not a normally seen metrial on cars in upsate NY no ones expierced with it.

I just wish I just paid james to fly out here and install

I'm just at a all time loss and fustrated, it makes me sick to my stomach cause I just basically pisst my money away.
Old 08-06-2016 | 10:53 PM

2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
I hope you get this figured out. Although, I would have to agree with mr.brightside... These can be VERY tricky to install perfectly. I would take it to an experienced BODY SHOP.
These require a different skill then a mechanic, body work is a different ball game, generally people good at one thing, are not the greatest at the other, mostly because they become so good at one by focusing their attentions on it.

Cracked CF? You'll have quite a job to repair it... Hindsight 20/20.

I wish you the best of luck with this.
Old 08-07-2016 | 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Josh.A.Hussey
I hope you get this figured out. Although, I would have to agree with mr.brightside... These can be VERY tricky to install perfectly. I would take it to an experienced BODY SHOP.
These require a different skill then a mechanic, body work is a different ball game, generally people good at one thing, are not the greatest at the other, mostly because they become so good at one by focusing their attentions on it.

Cracked CF? You'll have quite a job to repair it... Hindsight 20/20.

Well james was gonna fix my last diffuser for me, but instead I bought another one. So gonna see if james will repair my newly purchased diffuser so I can bring it to a body shop to install.
Old 08-08-2016 | 06:46 PM

2017 C43 AMG, 2010 C350 4Matic, 9 Motorcycles
Originally Posted by Rtarson
Well james was gonna fix my last diffuser for me, but instead I bought another one. So gonna see if james will repair my newly purchased diffuser so I can bring it to a body shop to install.
Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-09-2016 | 09:30 PM

Let us know how it goes!
And to others that wanted to know about what happen!

IT WAS NOT ME AND NOT or HOW I INSTALLED THE DIFFUSER OR WHO INSTALLED IT. IT WAS THE JUNKY *** DIFFUSER IT'S SELF! DO NOT BUY!!

JL-Motoring Lips and Spoiler turned out fine but ask picture of the back of the diffusers before you buy before you go through this 1 month journey like I did

So I received my 1st JL-Motoring diffuser on July 28th 2016 had my mechanic who I know personally and trust a lot. They installed it said it was fine then over lapped it self.
(1Week and Half went by)

Bought another (because james said couldn't honor return because it was installed by someone else) JL-Motoring Diffuser and received it by the way he said he was going to send "goodies" like CF keychains, Lanyards, Sticker NEVER GOT THEM, installed it my self with the hardware my mechanic used on the previous one. It cracked yet another time same location.

(2 Weeks go by)
I got knocked down telling I installed it wrong, or I didn't take off the bumper *ladi dadi daa* again, so I said to james you either return it or repair it. He then did something I thought was very nice.. He sent me a brand new one I then received it payed a very proffesinal car/body shop installers that work 70$ HOUR (did take off bumper) that came to 300$ it was only place that would work with CF. Installed it, didn't crack this time but it was bowing out and could see the crevasse/bumper behind it. Theres nothing else to say its hand down a ****ty product!
I smashed the **** out of the old diffuser Watch the video: Here

(Current Day/Today)
Received RW Carbon Diffuser C63 style I think a angel came around and granted me with a product that actual worth while I'm so happy my head it relieved. The build quality of the diffuser feels like the OEM diffuser with carbon fiber over it (which is good) Did not crack, did not bow out, fits 100%!

TOO DISCLOUSE: James is offering a refund on the second purchased diffuser(which was not destroyed).

Last edited by Rtarson; 09-09-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2016 | 10:09 PM

These can be VERY tricky to install perfectly. I would take it to an experienced BODY SHOP.

@mr.brightside and @Josh.A.Hussey

It's not tricky to install the diffuser is a piece of ****, licking ***, **** sucking ***** not worth my time at all.

Also mr.brightside, Fidel, or what ever your name I still don't know what it is. I looked at your mods post your diffuser came with plastic tabs that clip in was not zip ties nor did you have a diffuser with that flimsy *** metal tabs... I wasn't installing diffuser wrong, wasn't because I didn't take off the bumper (which I payed $300 for) it was neither. Nor do I need to take a heat gun to every diffuser I get . It's simple. Its a ****ty product.

I'm happy it's done and over with. But I wish that I didn't do have the **** I did. Going to remove the Side splitters (that didn't even have CF on the edges), removing the spoiler and putting a genuine mercedes black spoiler, and should have just saved up and got new AMG rims. But yah wouldn't know till I tried.

Keeping CF Front lip and RW Carbon Diffuser
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:35 PM

2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
You should get a refund for both of those pieces of garbage that broke and not just one. I'd still be very angry if I was in your situation.

For all your headaches and bad customer service you experienced, that JL place just got added to my never deal with list. I can go get garbage at the dollar store and don't have to mail order it.
The following users liked this post:
Rtarson (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Colin G
You should get a refund for both of those pieces of garbage that broke and not just one. I'd still be very angry if I was in your situation.

For all your headaches and bad customer service you experienced, that JL place just got added to my never deal with list. I can go get garbage at the dollar store and don't have to mail order it.
I think he's famous for the Front lips but the Spoiler was a bit piece of garbage and the Diffuser was the biggest piece of ***** known demand!

If you look at the photo, that's not dirt(in the corner)! That's what that piece of **** looks like on black paint when it hits light.

Old 09-10-2016 | 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Colin G

I'm glad someone can compare to me and my position! At least my car no longer looks like a ricer *** hole
Old 09-10-2016 | 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
Get RW Carbon had best/perfect luck with them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: JL-Motoring Big Fin Diffuser, Not fitting correctly