Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics* >

ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*

 
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 AM
  #51  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 w204 c220 CDI SPORT.
Hi mate

the nec inside the esl dont fry
it simply deactivates itself to stop damage occuring as it does not know the motor position either lock or unlock. The ebay motors are total junk
i use genuine motors when repairing 👍
never had a comeback from any of the 100+ ive fixed

what did you do with your old esl ?
want to sell me it if its not hacked !
i know some drill huge holes to get the pins out lol

dave
dave11674 is offline  
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 AM
  #52  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 531
Liked 89 Times in 82 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by WOT48 View Post
Just wanted to add my car to the electronic steering lock (ESL) failure list. 2010 C300 with less than 60K miles.

ESL suddenly stopped working on the first hot day of this year, no response after inserting the key. After wiggled the steering wheel a few times, I got it to work.
And it worked for the next 2 weeks, then stop working again, I was luckily to got it started after insert the key in and out a few times.

Thinking the motor is going bad, I ordered a motor from eBay(btw, all the motor on ebay/Amazon are basically from the same factory).
My ESL was in unlock position, so I didn't have to take the whole steering column out. You do however, need to remove the airbag and steering wheel.
Removed the four bolts holding the column, lower it, then loosen the 13 mm nut holding ESL, push the bolt in and pull it out.

Opened the ESL, swapped the motor. Put everything back, turned the key, nothing! it's completely silent !
Looks like the NEC chip on the circuit board is fried.

Found a local guy from eBay who does ESL repair. Removed the Electronic Ignition System(EIS) from the car and send him the three parts - ESL, EIS and the key.

He confirmed it's the chip that's bad, so I have two emulators to choose from:
1) An emulator chip that replaces the NEC chip on the original ESL. It will make the factory ESL work again.
2) A complete black box emulator that replaces the factory ESL.

I opted for the black box emulator, since I'm not going to install the ESL back into the column, also the aftermarket emulator has no moving parts.
I velcro the emulator under the dash, I can easily remove it if it failed. After programming the emulator to communicate with the EIS, everything is working again.

The black box emulator makes a sound when activated, it's different than the original ESL motor whine. It's a higher pitch chirp.
I was told the emulator does not have any moving parts, the chirping sound is from a speaker inside to indicate it's working.

Also, they can not program two emulators to the same EIS/Key, I wanted a backup emulator but that is not possible.

Let's see how long this emulator last...

Been running my Chinese emulator for the last 3 years with no issues. The Mercedes ESL is just a bad design with cheap parts and the emulator improved on the original design by relocating the chip and circuit board to reduce heat resulting in a longer life span.I wouldn't worry able it failing on you any time soon.
ltwargssf is offline  
The following users liked this post: ltwargssf
WOT48 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM
  #53  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 531
Liked 89 Times in 82 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by dave11674 View Post
Hi mate

the nec inside the esl dont fry
it simply deactivates itself to stop damage occuring as it does not know the motor position either lock or unlock. The ebay motors are total junk
i use genuine motors when repairing ��
never had a comeback from any of the 100+ ive fixed

what did you do with your old esl ?
want to sell me it if its not hacked !
i know some drill huge holes to get the pins out lol

dave
Pretty sure there's no difference in "genuine motors" and ebay ones, they're all cheap Chinese motors that mercedes gets from the same supplier.
ltwargssf is offline  
Old 07-07-2018, 09:14 AM
  #54  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic Sport
The guy doing the repair sent me this photo, looks like he had problem resetting the NEC chip.



I'm keeping the original ESL, just in case I need it in the future.

Found a motor replacement guide. Wish I've read this earlier.
https://www.keyprogtools.com/images/...y%20manual.pdf

Last edited by WOT48; 07-17-2018 at 02:34 PM.
WOT48 is offline  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:10 AM
  #55  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The North Fork
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1985 300TD turbodiesel
What chassis car is this

Hey Knowbenz,
Thanks so much for the great post. I have a 1999 W210.025 turbodiesel and after some diagnosing including hooking the DAS up to the car, I am pretty sure it is the EIS. I can send the EIS and ESL along with a key and a guy I found on YouTube can fix the EIS for me. You mentioned that you have done this many times. What chassis was this based on? I am guessing W204. Have you ever done it on a W210? If so it the ESL the same - can I drill the hole in the side instead of having to drill the bolt out?

Thanks

Doug
riethoven is offline  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 AM
  #56  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by riethoven View Post
Hey Knowbenz,
Thanks so much for the great post. I have a 1999 W210.025 turbodiesel and after some diagnosing including hooking the DAS up to the car, I am pretty sure it is the EIS. I can send the EIS and ESL along with a key and a guy I found on YouTube can fix the EIS for me. You mentioned that you have done this many times. What chassis was this based on? I am guessing W204. Have you ever done it on a W210? If so it the ESL the same - can I drill the hole in the side instead of having to drill the bolt out?

Thanks

Doug
No the steering lock on those are different. Did you get one of those little red light rings for testing the coil in EIS?
knowbenz is offline  
Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SA
Posts: 371
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Originally Posted by knowbenz View Post
I think they just used some really poor quality brushed that fall apart
Do you know if they corrected this problem, they must have known from the beginning examining/investigating the 1st failures, so can I relax with myne replaced-? , or is doomsday coming again-? (The motor does look like from a radion control car),
Moto_Guzzi is offline  
Old 07-20-2018, 12:50 AM
  #58  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post
Do you know if they corrected this problem, they must have known from the beginning examining/investigating the 1st failures, so can I relax with myne replaced-? , or is doomsday coming again-? (The motor does look like from a radion control car),
That I couldn't tell you, I'm not a small electric motor engineer but I would expect they made some kind of improvement. I would think that Mercedes would upgrade the failing part in new units but as far as the aftermarket parts all over Ebay I have no clue.
knowbenz is offline  
Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 PM
  #59  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ItalianJoe1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 3,529
Liked 682 Times in 568 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by knowbenz View Post
That I couldn't tell you, I'm not a small electric motor engineer but I would expect they made some kind of improvement. I would think that Mercedes would upgrade the failing part in new units but as far as the aftermarket parts all over Ebay I have no clue.
We still see them failing in 2013-2014 cars, if they hadn't fixed them by then, I doubt they will.
ItalianJoe1 is offline  
Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM
  #60  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 glk350
W204 esl DIY question

Had a question, I have a 2010 glk350 with this w204 esl issue and I was fortunate that when it happened to me it was unlocked so removing esl was easy. I have purchased the motor, and ready to install but have one question that I haven't been able to find or I just need a specific answer from the pros who have dealt with this. When I install motor do I rotate the gear so as to keep it in the unlocked position just as I removed it or do I put in lock position. It's probably a duh answer but with the cost of repair at dealer I want to be sure. Right now I'm going for the rotate to unlock as that's when I removed the power cable and was set last, but dont want to connect to verify functionality and bust the esl.
Juanocuevas2 is offline  
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 PM
  #61  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2010 c250 cgi, 2001 Porsche Boxster S
When I replaced the motor in my ESL unit I kept the gear in the same location as it was when I opened it - ie unlocked. It worked fine when back together.
Cbr944 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Cbr944:
John Wu (07-25-2018), Juanocuevas2 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:34 AM
  #62  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 View Post
We still see them failing in 2013-2014 cars, if they hadn't fixed them by then, I doubt they will.
well that answers that LOL
knowbenz is offline  
Old 07-25-2018, 09:36 AM
  #63  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Juanocuevas2 View Post
Had a question, I have a 2010 glk350 with this w204 esl issue and I was fortunate that when it happened to me it was unlocked so removing esl was easy. I have purchased the motor, and ready to install but have one question that I haven't been able to find or I just need a specific answer from the pros who have dealt with this. When I install motor do I rotate the gear so as to keep it in the unlocked position just as I removed it or do I put in lock position. It's probably a duh answer but with the cost of repair at dealer I want to be sure. Right now I'm going for the rotate to unlock as that's when I removed the power cable and was set last, but dont want to connect to verify functionality and bust the esl.
If it is in fact all the way unlocked then leave it that way. If it was unlocked enough to remove but didn't quite hit the microswitches you may be screwed if it sees it in an intermediate position
knowbenz is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 12:15 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for this detail instruction on how to replace ESL motor!!!
Secondly, I really wish no one have to go through this.

Last Sunday, I car (2008 C300 RWD with 140,000km and push start button), left parking light bulb out was triggered. Its' the eyebrow bulb on driver side headlight. Upon inspection, it wasn't the bulb. It was crack in bulb wiring which caused the short, triggered the warning.
This is known issue, which I knew about, and just need layer of liquid electrical tape to insulate wires again. To do so, need to removed the headlight assembly.

Removing headlight assembly requires removal of front bumper. Not whole bumper, but at least the side you are working on.
Sunday morning, I turn the steering wheel all the way to right, so I gain access to plastic rivets which holds the bumper on left side. SHUT THE CAR OFF WITH STEERING TURNED ALL THE WAY TO RIGHT.
Remove headlight, insulate wires with liquid electrical tape and let it dry.
On that evening, reinstalled headlight assembly and bumper, and went inside the car to test.
...
...
nothing....
When I put in the key into ignition, I hear some clicking noise around steering column area, but ESL won't unlock the steering wheel, hence no start.
Tried again with my 2nd key.
still nothing...
****... Thought this was the ESL issue everyone talks about on the forum.
One last hope, connected battery charger and let battery charged over night for last hope and went to bed.

On Monday morning, tried again with battery fully charged, still nothing....
****.....
My garage is double tandem garage where cars are parked front and back, and my car was parked deep inside with steering turned all the way to right....
Even for towing it to dealer, there was no freaking way to tow this car until I free up the steering wheel some how.
Then I remembered I purchased replacement ESL motor about a year ago from ebay for $10, for just in case...

Here we go,
Move front seat all the way to back
Disconnect battery
Remove cluster trim -> w204 tech article by pelican parts
Remove airbag, steering wheel and steering column switches -> w204 tech article by pelican parts
Remove footwall under panel
Remove steering column --> 1 T45 (difficult access and mark shaft and u-joint with sharpie) and 4 E12

Placed the steering column in my work bench and start drilling the hole to unlock steering shaft manually.
Rotate the gear clockwise (push up) manually with flat head screw driver until locking bolt moves enough to get ESL out.
Got ESL out
Take 4 pins out with hammering and swearing. This is difficult. used T5, T6, T7.
Remove the cover for ESL and take may pictures.
Remove T10 bolt that holds the circuit board.
Once circuit board is out, take may pictures again.
With motor out, you can rotate the gear and see how the mechanism works. Just be careful with it.
Rotate the gear so mechanism sets in UNLOCK position to dead end.
Close the cover with both micro-switches in depressed position and re-install 4 pins
Install everything back and start praying.

At this moment, good 5 hrs has been passed and I was really praying... haha
Connected battery and VOILA!!! The car STARTED!!!!
I couldn't believe it.. hahaha Everything works again!

Now, I'm not sure how reliable this $10 ebay motor is, so I'll probably go with emulator route later since I don't want to do this again.

For your reference... garbage.
white46 is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by white46:
Colin G (09-17-2018), John Wu (09-12-2018), PelicanParts.com (09-13-2018), superangrypenguin (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:10 PM
  #65  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,128
Liked 149 Times in 137 Posts
W204
HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh. great photo!
superangrypenguin is offline  
Old 09-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  #66  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
Thanks!
I've been wrenching my own cars past 15+ years and I must say dealing with electronics and modules are the most painful.
white46 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 AM
  #67  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 c300
Hi guys,

First and foremost thank you so much for this post. It has been immensely helpful. My question is whether I can open up the unit and simply replace the motor and be back on the road. I had all the classic symptoms of failure, key goes in and nothing happens when turning it to crank motor, other than all radio functions, unlocking doors etc functioning totally normally. Steering of course stuck in locked position. And no sound of the ESL unlocking as usual.

The one thing is, when opening the door, I didn't get the message "dont forget key." Although tbh I don't ever recall seeing this message even when the unit was working when I opened my door while the keys were in the EIS.

Does this mean my EIS has also gone bad and will need reprogramming?

Trying to decide whether I can do this myself of have to send it out to someone to have it repaired.
02'topaz is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
Hey,
I think I do recall seeing "don't forget key" message after my ESL gone bad.
Even to send it out to someone to have it repaired, you'll need to unlock ESL manually somehow, like described in this thread.
Having said that, I was in the same boat as you, and was able to replace the motor and able to start the car.
white46 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 PM
  #69  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Hey,
I think I do recall seeing "don't forget key" message after my ESL gone bad.
Even to send it out to someone to have it repaired, you'll need to unlock ESL manually somehow, like described in this thread.
Having said that, I was in the same boat as you, and was able to replace the motor and able to start the car.
thanks very much. I have the esl out along with EIS. Just wasnít sure if this is a ďfatal errorĒ that will require reprogramming etc as opposed to simple replacement of the motor. Was wondering if itís a fatal error since Iím not getting that key message.

I also cut the bolt on the ESL which now needs replacement per recommendation from a repair guy. Only to find this thread later to see how to properly remove the ESL. Anyone know which bolt I could replace this with if I do this on my own?
02'topaz is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
Not sure on "fatal error", but from this thread, "fatal error" occurs when ESL is dead in the middle. sounds like....
I was lucky enough to replacing motor fixed it.

As for the bolt...
If you remove 4 pins on ESL and take it apart, you'll see the bolt head is in funny shape. Found it in ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...0AAOSwj4dbmQXC

But if I was in your position, I would go with emulator route, so that I don't have to worry about bolt and motor all together.
white46 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 01:46 PM
  #71  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Not sure on "fatal error", but from this thread, "fatal error" occurs when ESL is dead in the middle. sounds like....
I was lucky enough to replacing motor fixed it.

As for the bolt...
If you remove 4 pins on ESL and take it apart, you'll see the bolt head is in funny shape. Found it in ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...0AAOSwj4dbmQXC

But if I was in your position, I would go with emulator route, so that I don't have to worry about bolt and motor all together.

thank you again. Especially for the eBay bolt link!

any chance you could recommend a reasonable emulator vendor? I assume the unit still needs to be shipped to be programmed by emulator programmers?

And then I just plug in the emulator and donít even install the esl back I assume?
02'topaz is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 366
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
08 C300
Yes, I believe EIS and a key need to be shipped out and programmed with emulator.
From what I know, you connect green plug to emulator and leave ESL out from the car.
As for the vendor, since I haven't dealt with one, I cannot say much.
white46 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 PM
  #73  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by 02'topaz View Post



thank you again. Especially for the eBay bolt link!

any chance you could recommend a reasonable emulator vendor? I assume the unit still needs to be shipped to be programmed by emulator programmers?

And then I just plug in the emulator and donít even install the esl back I assume?

There are many ESL repair service on eBay.

You need to ship the ESL unit, EIS ( the ignition key lock) and your key to the have them repair or reprogram.

If you get the emulator, there is no need to install the ESL back. I velcro mine to the side of the steering column.

WOT48 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM
  #74  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by WOT48 View Post
There are many ESL repair service on eBay.

You need to ship the ESL unit, EIS ( the ignition key lock) and your key to the have them repair or reprogram.

If you get the emulator, there is no need to install the ESL back. I velcro mine to the side of the steering column.
I just looked it up on Ebay, Theres a guy in Russia that took my pics for his ad lol
knowbenz is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 06:35 PM
  #75  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
2010 c250 cgi, 2001 Porsche Boxster S
Originally Posted by WOT48 View Post
There are many ESL repair service on eBay.

You need to ship the ESL unit, EIS ( the ignition key lock) and your key to the have them repair or reprogram.

If you get the emulator, there is no need to install the ESL back. I velcro mine to the side of the steering column.
The same is true if you just take out the ESL and replace the old motor with a new one, providing the ESL is still functional (ie you can remove it from the steering column when it is unlocked). This is a $10 fix, and you don't have to reinstall - you can Velcro or attach the repaired ESL to the steering column with zip ties. This achieves the same result as an emulator, except you don't need to get anything programmed. Only downside is there is still a mechanical device which might fail sometime in the future (lifetime possibly ~5,000+ actuations, or 5-10 years?). Chances are, the replacement of the motor will outlast the life of the car. Worst case, replace it again in 4 or 5 years...
Cbr944 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: