Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics* >

ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*

 
Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 AM
  #101  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GLK350 4MATIC
Thanks for sharing the detailed information on how to replace this motor. I got the following symptoms on my 2010 GLK yesterday:
-Key turns to ignition and on position, nothing happens
-3 sets of double clicks coming from the steering column area (sounds like a relay firing)
-Lock/Unlock features work
-Remove Key From Ignition displayed on screen
-Steering wheel can be rotated whether the key is inserted or not, does this mean the ESL failed in the unlock position?

I am suspecting the ESL motor failed, and in the unlock position fortunately. Ironically the motors are available for $24 on Amazon Prime. Hopefully it is a quick fix thanks to this thread!
torquefordays is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM
  #102  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
w202 c180
Would this be about the same for a w202? I can only find the motors for w204 :-) Thanks in advance
Max Thomsson is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 PM
  #103  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Max Thomsson View Post
Would this be about the same for a w202? I can only find the motors for w204 :-) Thanks in advance
No, its completely different. What is wrong with yours? w202 is much simpler to deal with
knowbenz is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 PM
  #104  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
N/A
For me, the steering wonít go up and down but it will go back and forward. Currently locked in up position
PatronasF1AMG is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 AM
  #105  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by PatronasF1AMG View Post
For me, the steering wonít go up and down but it will go back and forward. Currently locked in up position
This has absolutely nothing to do with the steering lock mentioned in this thread.
knowbenz is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 AM
  #106  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2008 C300
Cbr944ís suggestion to replace the motor and leave the ESL uninstalled and easy to access seems an obvious better option over the cost and delay of the emulator route. Am I missing something that would suggest otherwise?
JimMBC300 is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 06:54 AM
  #107  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c180 1998
Unhappy

Originally Posted by knowbenz View Post
No, its completely different. What is wrong with yours? w202 is much simpler to deal with
One day the key just stopped working after i had been away for 10 minutes, cant unlock doors with the buttons and cant even unlock the steeringlock. I had my mercedes dealer look at it and they said it was the ignition lock, but it would cost the same to fix it that i bought the car for.

Its a 1998 manual if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by kaptenkrok; 03-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.
kaptenkrok is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 02:20 PM
  #108  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by kaptenkrok View Post
One day the key just stopped working after i had been away for 10 minutes, cant unlock doors with the buttons and cant even unlock the steeringlock. I had my mercedes dealer look at it and they said it was the ignition lock, but it would cost the same to fix it that i bought the car for.

Its a 1998 manual if that helps.

Thanks in advance
The steering lock won't make the door locks stop working. If it is in fact the steering lock on that car you can buy a $25 emulator online and wire it in. Pop the cover off the ESL and run the lock out.
knowbenz is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:40 PM
  #109  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c180 1998
Do you think its the key otherwise? Since the remote unlock and ignition lock/steering lock stopped working at the exact same time? (i only have one to test with)

Edit: the key does light up red when i press the buttons and sends signal (checked with camera)

Last edited by kaptenkrok; 03-10-2019 at 06:01 PM.
kaptenkrok is offline  
Old 03-11-2019, 11:17 PM
  #110  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by kaptenkrok View Post
Do you think its the key otherwise? Since the remote unlock and ignition lock/steering lock stopped working at the exact same time? (i only have one to test with)

Edit: the key does light up red when i press the buttons and sends signal (checked with camera)
Could be, the inductive coils always fall off the circuit board in the key. You can slide it out and see if it's hanging on by a thread or loose
knowbenz is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 AM
  #111  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 C300
Removing ESL

So I think my ESL is failing. Occasionally the car will just not start, the steering column adjusts itself but I donít think the ESL is unlocking. After a while, and sometimes with wiggling the steering wheel, you will hear the high-pitched noise and it will start again. It then fails within a few weeks.

I think I would like to just replace the motor. I appreciate all the advice here, and the pictures are very helpful. I still have a couple questions, maybe someone can assist?

I plan on trying to change to motor in the ESL while the ESL is unlocked with the key in the ignition.

1. Is it possible to remove the ESL without pulling the entire steering column? ( iíve seen references to this other places But no pics)

2. Iíve seen some vendors like Simon touch saying that changing the motor without ďrepairing the Nec motor positionĒ Will kill the board. Has anyone had experience with this?

thanks!
jcoo is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 AM
  #112  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by jcoo View Post
So I think my ESL is failing. Occasionally the car will just not start, the steering column adjusts itself but I donít think the ESL is unlocking. After a while, and sometimes with wiggling the steering wheel, you will hear the high-pitched noise and it will start again. It then fails within a few weeks.

I think I would like to just replace the motor. I appreciate all the advice here, and the pictures are very helpful. I still have a couple questions, maybe someone can assist?

I plan on trying to change to motor in the ESL while the ESL is unlocked with the key in the ignition.

1. Is it possible to remove the ESL without pulling the entire steering column? ( iíve seen references to this other places But no pics)

2. Iíve seen some vendors like Simon touch saying that changing the motor without ďrepairing the Nec motor positionĒ Will kill the board. Has anyone had experience with this?

thanks!
1. Yes it is possible
2. If you take it apart and assemble in the same position you can do without programing,
knowbenz is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM
  #113  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W204
Maybe someone can help me with my problem: I was driven with my car, then I parked and put out the key. 5 Minutes later I wanted to continue driving but my car doesnt start again. The speedometer display is working fine and I also hear sound from the radio. After research in the Internet I found out that it has to be the ESL, because it could be locked and doesnt unlock again after put the key in and so the car doesnt start. Today I finally removed my ESL and for my surprise it was unlocked and now I dont know what to do. Is it still possible that the motor of the ESL is defekt? This would mean that before parking, the ESL was in unlocked position and after I put the key out, the ESL doesn't go back to lock position. Is this possible? So now the mechanic is in unlocked position, but what is with the elecronic? Is the chip now thinking that he is in locked position because he gets the signal after I put the key out? Or doesn't it make any difference what the electronic is thinking? Does it even make sense that it is the ESL? Because like I said the ESL is unlocked and the car still doesnt start.

Last edited by CSKAMoskva11; 03-27-2019 at 03:57 PM.
CSKAMoskva11 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 PM
  #114  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by CSKAMoskva11 View Post
Maybe someone can help me with my problem: I was driven with my car, then I parked and put out the key. 5 Minutes later I wanted to continue driving but my car doesnt start again. The speedometer display is working fine and I also hear sound from the radio. After research in the Internet I found out that it has to be the ESL, because it could be locked and doesnt unlock again after put the key in and so the car doesnt start. Today I finally removed my ESL and for my surprise it was unlocked and now I dont know what to do. Is it still possible that the motor of the ESL is defekt? This would mean that before parking, the ESL was in unlocked position and after I put the key out, the ESL doesn't go back to lock position. Is this possible? So now the mechanic is in unlocked position, but what is with the elecronic? Is the chip now thinking that he is in locked position because he gets the signal after I put the key out? Or doesn't it make any difference what the electronic is thinking? Does it even make sense that it is the ESL? Because like I said the ESL is unlocked and the car still doesnt start.
Happens all the time, it will get stuck locked or unlocked, or in an intermediate position which is what sets that fatal error when you unplug it.
knowbenz is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 AM
  #115  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W204
I just put out the Motor of the ESL and connect it to 12 V. The motor is working I also connected the ESL back in the car and put the key in and meanwhile measured the Voltage at the ESL motor if something happens, but there is no voltage at the Motor. The 12V at the circuit board are ok. Is it now the chip that is broken or is it more likely that the ignition lock is defekt. With my second key I have the same problem
CSKAMoskva11 is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM
  #116  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 510
Liked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by CSKAMoskva11 View Post
I just put out the Motor of the ESL and connect it to 12 V. The motor is working I also connected the ESL back in the car and put the key in and meanwhile measured the Voltage at the ESL motor if something happens, but there is no voltage at the Motor. The 12V at the circuit board are ok. Is it now the chip that is broken or is it more likely that the ignition lock is defekt. With my second key I have the same problem
Its likely especially that you took it all apart. Should have had it properly diagnosed first. Take it to a shop with SD and scan for codes. EIS typically has a fault code for mechanical defect or something along those lines when the ESL goes bad
knowbenz is offline  
Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 AM
  #117  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2011 C63 amg
First i want to Say that I wish I saw your post 1st before attempting any of this

So when I was pulling A part the assembly I ripped off one of the micro switches by accident. I'm pretty sure I can solder it back on but just in case That doesn't work How do I get an emulator programmed to my EIS? Is there a way for me To program myself The only Emulator I have seen is sold by a guy luckily In my same city but he wants $300 And I know that's Not much but he is saying that it will take 24 to 48 hours minimum before he can get it returned.
KoreanAmgfreak is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: ESL Steering lock motor replacement *lots of pics*


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: