C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 - radio unit squeaking over bumps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
W204 - radio unit squeaking over bumps

So pretend you're sitting in your W204

Take your pointer finger, and push hard against the plastic near the buttons on the head units (say on the edge). You hear that slight creaking sound?

I hear that when driving over bumps. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Any ideas on how to pull the head unit? Maybe if I put some WD40 where the plastic center console meets the soft touch leather that might help the squeaking?

Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
Have the same problem. Would be interested if there is actually anything you can do.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Mgloznao
Have the same problem. Would be interested if there is actually anything you can do.
I found a Youtube video about how to do this.

It involves first removing the wood/aluminum trim that goes from the center console to the passenger seat.

Then it involves removing the airvent in the center console.

Then it involves removing two bolts that hold on the headunit.

I don't think I'll be trying this since I break things more often than not as I have Jeremy Clarkson's hands when it comes to breaking things.

I may try adding some WD40 in the gaps between the plastic and the soft touch leather in the center console.

It's not enough noise that it royally pisses me off, but it is an irritant. Will report back.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 Sport 3.0L V6
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I found a Youtube video about how to do this.

It involves first removing the wood/aluminum trim that goes from the center console to the passenger seat.

Then it involves removing the airvent in the center console.

Then it involves removing two bolts that hold on the headunit.

I don't think I'll be trying this since I break things more often than not as I have Jeremy Clarkson's hands when it comes to breaking things.

I may try adding some WD40 in the gaps between the plastic and the soft touch leather in the center console.

It's not enough noise that it royally pisses me off, but it is an irritant. Will report back.
What model year do you have? I have a 2011 with the Pop-Up screen and I assume the video was on the face lifted version. I figure it is probably more hassle than it is worth but if there is a loose bolt that could be tightened down that will eliminate that sound I would be the happiest SOB on the planet. I can't stand that rattle or the rear deck rattle either but oh well
Old 04-26-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Mgloznao
What model year do you have? I have a 2011 with the Pop-Up screen and I assume the video was on the face lifted version. I figure it is probably more hassle than it is worth but if there is a loose bolt that could be tightened down that will eliminate that sound I would be the happiest SOB on the planet. I can't stand that rattle or the rear deck rattle either but oh well
I have a 2012. The screen is not a pop up.

I suspect the sound is coming from the edges where the plastic edge meets the soft touch leather.

Sigh.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
let me tell you

do NOT try and pull the entire dashboard

you will die
Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C300 Sport
Are you positive it is the radio? I was having a squeak issue over bumps and since its under warranty I had the dealer go over the car....

The problem was the metal shim pieces on the brake pads that align them. The grease tends to wear out over time and causes a squeak over bumps. Just an idea to keep your mind open to.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by 97 GSX 97
Are you positive it is the radio? I was having a squeak issue over bumps and since its under warranty I had the dealer go over the car....

The problem was the metal shim pieces on the brake pads that align them. The grease tends to wear out over time and causes a squeak over bumps. Just an idea to keep your mind open to.
Yeah, I'm certain. If I push hard on the plastic pieces on the center console, I can replicate the exact squeak...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 E300 2018 Atlas 2020 911 C2S
I think we all have this plastic cracking noise when we go over bumps. If you feel edge/contact point between the radio and climate control, you'll see why it's cracking over bumps.

I plan to remove the radio and put a soft felt tape so that the contact point is not plastic to plastic.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Tanqueray
I think we all have this plastic cracking noise when we go over bumps. If you feel edge/contact point between the radio and climate control, you'll see why it's cracking over bumps.

I plan to remove the radio and put a soft felt tape so that the contact point is not plastic to plastic.
Can you please take a video or something when you do this? I think this would help many of us as our cars suffer from this issue. Thank you
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM

Can you please take a video or something when you do this? I think this would help many of us as our cars suffer from this issue. Thank you

There's this great youtube video that explains how to remove the entire dash trim, all the way down to the climate control unit. Following this video, I was able to remove the trim pieces, audio and climate unit.

You do need that hook tool, so you can insert the hook into the small hole on the sides of the vents to fold in a tab so the vent trim can be removed.

I will most likely be doing another round of trim piece removal next week and if I have time, I will take some pictures of the hook tool process, as this is the only confusing part in the video.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Holy heavens. With my hands (since I lack opposable thumbs), I may just ask a body shop to do this with me. Can you please report back if your fix solves the squeaks?

Thank you
Old 05-24-2017, 09:32 PM

Holy heavens. With my hands (since I lack opposable thumbs), I may just ask a body shop to do this with me. Can you please report back if your fix solves the squeaks?

Thank you
If you have a reputable car audio shop near you, it's a perfect place for small job like this. They are always removing and installing trims and audio units, so they should have no problem remove the trim for you. Once, the trim pieces are removed, ask them to place some felt tape around the edges of the pieces that are in contact with each other.

I will update you soon.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Tanqueray
If you have a reputable car audio shop near you, it's a perfect place for small job like this. They are always removing and installing trims and audio units, so they should have no problem remove the trim for you. Once, the trim pieces are removed, ask them to place some felt tape around the edges of the pieces that are in contact with each other.

I will update you soon.
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks in advance for the follow up. We wait patiently for the result! Danke!