C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 C300 4Matic OE Tuning Long term usage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport / '11 C63
2008 C300 4Matic OE Tuning Long term usage?

Hello all, I'm new around here and just purchased a 2008 C300 4Matic. So as I have been researching, more and more I have come to understand the minor feel of being under powered many speak of with this car.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the car and plan on keeping it for many years to come or until the tranny craps out as many say the 4Matic is a pos in that dept.

While I have been reading this forum and a few others I see many that will do an ECU Tune, I understand Kleemann to be the best but out of my price range and I can't afford to be without the car for weeks at a time to send off the ECU.

I have been looking at OE Tuning's options with the my genius flash. But how is the longevity of this ECM flash, I have read a few saying it's a decent flash but after that first week or so no more feedback.

Has this ECM flash proven to be a good overall one that will last and doesn't kill anything after say 6 years of running it?

I do appreciate any feedback on this that is possible. As I tear into it and try new things you all have been a wonderful source of material, I have verified I only have one issue that may crop up with the M272 platform which is the solenoid leaking oil as long as my research and VIN decode was accurate.

I guess aside from Tranny that will die on me any day now from the way many talk about the 4Matics, is that due to weight? I thought from what I could research it has same tranny as RWD C300?

Already done some basic service such as oil, air filters, cabin filters. Need to look at doing tranny service to hopefully keep it alive, I bought it as is which may have been stupid but I didn't run into any of the death tranny threads for the 4Matic until after purchase.

It's a 2008 with 71k miles on it so was banking on it being taken care of nicely but I finally dug deep enough and found out it hasn't been serviced by MB since 2011 and 29k miles on it, so I'm kinda freaked out now as I have no idea if it had the 39k mileage tranny service.

If I do an OE Tune will it possibly force the tranny to fail sooner by putting that smidge more strain on it, does anyone have any experience with running a tune on a 4Matic C300? I seem to largely find only RWD reports of ECU tune.

Sorry for the rambling, have a lot on my plate and mind with this thing now.

My w202 C280 from 1997 is still driving like a dream and enjoy it, Hoping for the same out of this C300.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Wait, what's your concern about the tranny? I'm not kleemenn turning expert, but what is your concern about the transmission? If you do your flushes the transmission should last you long time............................
Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Only concern with tranny is I do have a whine at high speeds, sounds to emanate from the middle or rear. From what I have read that's a good sign tranny is possibly not so great of shape.

Just from reading I guess the 4Matics give the tranny a bit more of a rough time I guess and tend to have issues more frequently compared to RWD models.

My main concern right now is if the OE Tuner ECU tune is efficient and stable to maintain the platform use for more than 4 years.

I guess since nobody is saying it's causing issues for them years later it is a good one, but just thought I'd see if I could fine somewhere that people may have actual experience with it.

Also am I missing any other option out there that doesn't involve me having to remove my ECU?

Last edited by catmandoob; 05-20-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

No replies are typically good, at least no horror stories.

From more reading and research I can find a few posts mentioning no issues after 3 years of use so I think I may lean towards an OE Tuning ecu flash.

I had my first oops with getting some new shoes on the ol girl so now I don't have any functioning TPMS senors, but after I get those taken care of I should be good.

I know the OE tune won't be amazing but figure it will slightly help it.

Also, the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1's feel amazingly better than the Conti's I replaced, wow the handling is amazing on my back country roads!!
Old 06-02-2017, 05:14 PM

Well, I got with Dennis at OE Tuning and ordered it all, got the my genius and sent file. Now to wait a few days and see what comes of it as he said they were really busy right now. Was hoping it would be a one day thing but with time comes good things, right haha

Out of curiosity if anyone has ran a tune for a while would you mind chiming in and saying how it has went for long term use?

I'm hoping the cost will be worth it even if it is ever so slightly barely noticeable.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
i dont understand this.
the 204 is not a powerful car, its not extraordinarily fast or maneuverable, by any stretch. id venture it would prob get beat out by most full sized pickup trucks off the line.

if you want long term, reliable, use why on earth would you push the limits or change the parameters set by the factory? do you believe these guys know better with an over the phone tune than the people who made the car? they don't. but they do want your money. my suggestion is to buy a more powerful sedan if thats what you're looking for. you bought the wrong car.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 PM

Very good and valid point, I'm more so after a bit faster response and shifting, top speed removal is moot as I'll never use this at that high of speed.

And of course they want my money haha, I guess I could have went with that throttle thingy but figured I'd just give this a shot, not that much money imo.

But on the other hand it may just well grenade it, good thing these are cheaper than sentras.

EDIT: Welp, going for the long term, been out of warranty so no worry there. Went ahead and flashed it with their file. Will chime back after I get to drive it a little bit more. So far nothing except I do notice a bit more on downshift. Probably a slight tweak to torque curve usage. Can't say it gave me anything at all yet.

So far placebo says it did a nice subtle change. hahaha

Last edited by catmandoob; 06-03-2017 at 11:02 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-04-2017, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 547 Likes on 483 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I bought my car with 55k miles

have 64k now, not even a full year of ownership

have spent $6k on repairs made between 60k and 62k miles

one was the transfer case

resulting in new trans

resulting in $5k spent

a haiku for mbworld

have not equipped my tune cause I'll be doing exhaust mods...and fear something will break.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input Adi, I'm going to service my transmission next month and then start to look at the transfer case. I guess that is the weak point from my reading on these if you have 4Matic.

I have been doing mainly cosmetic so far aside from the tune. OE Tune has given a little in the mid range where it would feel a tid bit flat. SO far gas mileage is about 1 mpg better even on my short 15 mile trips I'm getting 19mpg etc when I was at 17-18 mpg.

I'm going to try to keep a tab on this and every few months chime in just in case others are finding some good deals like I did and scoop one of these up. As of now, I'd say the Tune was a decent investment. At certain scenarios it does feel like it woke it up a smidget, but damn the tranny still changes gears like a grandma.

I know these have a bit more HP than the old straight 6's but it just now feels close to my C280 from '97. I won't buy a benz new but I love buying them for a few $k all day long hahaha.