C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Looking to purchase a C

Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350, X3 M-Sport, ROUSH
Looking to purchase a C

Hi guys, been lurking for long time now researching and reading threads, but I'm still left wondering some things and I always like to hear what current owners think about their car.

I've owned and continue to own luxury brands for long time now, and I'm looking to get away from BMW completely after years in their vehicles because the poor customer service/reliability drains me so I'm stepping away to look at different makes.

My wife currently owns a ML and loves it, and I cannot deny the fit and secure feeling it has is > than that of BMW.

I've been looking at adding a C-class as my daily driver, specific to the 2013-2014 year, and still left with questions (which I'm sure we always have!):

- Any issues I should be aware of with these years?

- Specific packages I should want/avoid?

-I keep cross comparing the 300 vs 350, and besides the subtle exterior variations and slight hp gains, which I realize makes a big difference in driver satisfaction, is there anything else I'm missing between the 2?

- I live in Canada, so 4matic is a must as we get dumped on heavily where I live in central region, so those of you who see snow, how does she handle in the snow? I also realize snow tires make a world of difference and will grab a set if I go forward with purchasing a C

- With me being from Canada, would a GLK be a better buy vs a C-Class?

- Lastly, those of you who own the model years I'm looking at, any regrets? how you liking it? would you do it all again?

I always hate looking for my new daily driver, as I'm continually cross-shopping and comparing, and where I live it is always a serious debate between car vs. suv vs. truck, though a truck would be great the gas mileage is terrible and even a high trim level (I was considering a Denali) leaves something to be desired to that of German makers. The Audi lineup has caught my attention with the Q5 and my old salesman now works there as well who has been chirping in my ear about the A4 as well, but it also makes me ponder should I be looking at a GLK, which personally I rather like the older style compared to new, but also is slightly aimed at feminine market imo.

Thanks for any help and feedback you guys can offer me

Last edited by WPGMB1; 05-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
I have a 2013 C300 as a daily. My only gripe about it is not having better headlights which you get with C350.

oh, also, being too small for my needs... so, if I had to do it over again, I would buy a bigger E350.

Last edited by M~Factor; 05-24-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
You can definitely get the C350 with 4matic. However, it only comes as a two door coupe.

I personally wish I would have waited a little longer for the prices to drop to get a C350 instead of the 2012 C300 I have. The car has been great in the year and a half I have owned it, I just wish it had more power. I don't think the car is not under powered by any means, just sometimes unsatisfying in the throttle response and shift points they have programmed in. The C350 would be much more sporty in that regard. Other than that it has been a great experience owning it so far.

In snow it is very sure footed and stable and I have never had snow tires. No problems in that regard. If you have dedicated snow tires you can pretty much go anywhere.

By 2014 the cars were fully sorted. Me personally I would make sure you have the Harman Kardon and COMMAND. You see so many posts about owners that don' have that and then try and retrofit a better stereo, navigation or a back up camera. Every other option/package is pretty much up to your own preference. I am not aware of anything that is to be avoided.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
I'd buy up to an including a 2012 C300 4matic - I'd personally avoid direct injected engines as no one knows how that will last long term, and if indications from other manufacterers are to be believed - those engines may not last long. The 2012 C300 was the last latest W204 that was made without direct injection (and the only one post facelift). The C350 prior to the facelift also doesn't have direct injection, but that's a much worse car to the post facelift car from a reliability/interior looks perspective, IMHO.

Avoid direct injection cars, especially in Canada where it's cold and fuel dilution is prone (from an oil perspective) with DI cars.

I hate the GLK. The pretty vertical windshield gives it pretty bad wind noise!!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
I was in the same boat as you few months ago and ended up getting a 2014 C300 Sport 4Matic with 19k miles.. I did that after doing a lot of research..

2013-2014 C300 have the M276 Engines which is 3.5 liter six cylinder which is the same as in C350 but purposely detuned by Mercedes. However you can the ECU reprogrammed by different vendors such as Renntech, Eurocharged, Kleemann and so on to get the full potent.

4Matic is awesome in the snow in New England here. I use all weather tires but if you are planning on buying a winter set you can pretty drive anywhere.

Try to get the car with Harman Kardon and Navigation command.. Backup camera as well as installing after market can be a hassle..

One thing you might not like are the yellow halogen lights but that can be easily upgraded with an HID conversion kit and you will have those awesome white LED lights.. unless you wanna buy the car with the lighting package.

Good luck with your purchase.. Just try getting something with as low miles as possible.. it really helps..
Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by M~Factor
I have a 2013 C300 as a daily. My only gripe about it is not having better headlights which you get with C350. However in your case, C300 comes with 4Matic. C350 do not.

oh, also, being too small for my needs... so, if I had to do it over again, I would buy a bigger E350.
You could've gotten the nicer bixenon headlights in a C300. You just needed to have a specific package. My 14 C300 came with the bixenon adaptive headlights.

Originally Posted by WPGMB1
Hi guys, been lurking for long time now researching and reading threads, but I'm still left wondering some things and I always like to hear what current owners think about their car.

I've owned and continue to own luxury brands for long time now, and I'm looking to get away from BMW completely after years in their vehicles because the poor customer service/reliability drains me so I'm stepping away to look at different makes.

My wife currently owns a ML and loves it, and I cannot deny the fit and secure feeling it has is > than that of BMW.

I've been looking at adding a C-class as my daily driver, specific to the 2013-2014 year, and still left with questions (which I'm sure we always have!):

- Any issues I should be aware of with these years?

- Specific packages I should want/avoid?

-I keep cross comparing the 300 vs 350, and besides the subtle exterior variations and slight hp gains, which I realize makes a big difference in driver satisfaction, is there anything else I'm missing between the 2?

- I live in Canada, so 4matic is a must as we get dumped on heavily where I live in central region, so those of you who see snow, how does she handle in the snow? I also realize snow tires make a world of difference and will grab a set if I go forward with purchasing a C

- With me being from Canada, would a GLK be a better buy vs a C-Class?

- Lastly, those of you who own the model years I'm looking at, any regrets? how you liking it? would you do it all again?

I always hate looking for my new daily driver, as I'm continually cross-shopping and comparing, and where I live it is always a serious debate between car vs. suv vs. truck, though a truck would be great the gas mileage is terrible and even a high trim level (I was considering a Denali) leaves something to be desired to that of German makers. The Audi lineup has caught my attention with the Q5 and my old salesman now works there as well who has been chirping in my ear about the A4 as well, but it also makes me ponder should I be looking at a GLK, which personally I rather like the older style compared to new, but also is slightly aimed at feminine market imo.

Thanks for any help and feedback you guys can offer me
Personally I had some specific wants when buying my C. I went with a 2014 C300 Sport with the headlight and sport amg interior package. This means I have the brighter headlights, amg mats with red trim, suede seat inserts, suede door panels, double red stitching throughout, amg flat bottom steering wheel, aluminum door and dash trim, and red seatbelts. Personally wthout these features I wasn't a fan of the C. They seem blah to me otherwise.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 C350 4matic coupe
I bought my used 2013 C350 4matic coupe a year ago.

When I was searching the used market, only one option was a must have. The adaptive HID headlight. And surprisingly, I found my car EXACTLY with that one and only option of the adaptive HID headlight and nothing else. WEIRD! A lot of other C350 coupes i was finding on the used market did have 18" AMG rims, nav, back up camera, but no adaptive HID lights

The car does come with, as standard equipment, with heated seats, pano roof, Harmon Kardon stereo. It DOES NOT have..... Navigation, back up camera, 18" inch rims (I have the 17" AMG rims), blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise, automatic pre collision braking, leather, push button start, etc. No options other than the adaptive HIDs.

Navigation I could do without, cause we all know how quickly in dash navigation systems become outdated. It would have been nice to have the back up camera, but that's bundled with the navigation. I didn't care if it was RWD or 4matic since this was my fun car (but getting the 4matic was a bonus). I didn't care about the exterior color or the interior color, as long as it wasn't the sand interior (I have black on black. The sand interior is not only geriatric, it does not come with the flat bottom steering wheel).

My previous Merc was an '05 C55 AMG.

On paper, the C350 doesn't match power and performance numbers of the C55, but the C350 has enough power to satisfy in the New York City area driving environment. And I find the steering and handling of the C350 better than my old C55.

I don't need 18" rims on the C350. Hit a road imperfection, and it really riles up the car. And the steering response is so quick, I have to warn my friends about it before they take my car for a test drive. If you're driving down the highway making minor steering corrections like in a Camry, in the C350 you'll wind up making a full lane change. Having 18" rims will only exacerbate these attributes.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Such great cars...

as a magazine described it... the 300 is zippy, the 350 is quick. The 300 to me is pretty quick for day to day driving, especially once you get acquainted with the transmission and know when to punch it. Also handles, steers and rides perfectly imo.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C300 Sport
i have a black 2014 C300 Sport (w/ Command NAV, HK audio, AMG styling/rear spoiler, AMG wheels) i bought earlier this year. I have put on about 5k miles, and no issues at all so far. HP is adequate, but not great, wish i had more (more = $)

Like others said, options wanted vary from person to person. I'm also on the same boat I wish I had bought one with HID adaptive lights, adaptive cruise/lane assist, Keyless GO, but then again, there's issue of money

one thing i truly dont like about my car is the ugly (IMO) knob wheels to control AC/heat temp and the dial pad/numbers. For a 2014 year model car, i would expect a more digitized/modern controls.

only you know what you can afford/pay for.

all and all, i really like my purchase (this is my first benzo)
Old 05-25-2017, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by jlp187
i have a black 2014 C300 Sport (w/ Command NAV, HK audio, AMG styling/rear spoiler, AMG wheels) i bought earlier this year. I have put on about 5k miles, and no issues at all so far. HP is adequate, but not great, wish i had more (more = $)

Like others said, options wanted vary from person to person. I'm also on the same boat I wish I had bought one with HID adaptive lights, adaptive cruise/lane assist, Keyless GO, but then again, there's issue of money

one thing i truly dont like about my car is the ugly (IMO) knob wheels to control AC/heat temp and the dial pad/numbers. For a 2014 year model car, i would expect a more digitized/modern controls.

only you know what you can afford/pay for.

all and all, i really like my purchase (this is my first benzo)
Agreed, the HVAC control is the one part that lets this car down. It's a carry over from the pre face lifted W204 as well.

Much prefer the new W205/E class/S class type HVAC with the shiny toggles. Those look nice - although the W205 C class is full of build issues, so in this case I guess I can suffer with the W204
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Agreed, the HVAC control is the one part that lets this car down. It's a carry over from the pre face lifted W204 as well.

Much prefer the new W205/E class/S class type HVAC with the shiny toggles. Those look nice - although the W205 C class is full of build issues, so in this case I guess I can suffer with the W204
Is the W205 full of build issues? Never heard that... but good to hear lol.

I like the climate controls, they are classic and ergonomic. Anything analog that works just as well as the digital is nice and makes the digital extraneous.

Look at what the brand new, $160k G63 AMG uses...

I could just go on and on all day how the W204 is the crown jewel of perfected, simplified and ergonomic engineering.

I'm sure others would laugh at this.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
I could just go on and on all day how the W204 is the crown jewel of perfected, simplified and ergonomic engineering.

I'm sure others would laugh at this.
you're kidding right?
---edit---
i had to erase my post cause this has got to be a joke

Last edited by B737; 05-26-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Alfadude
You can definitely get the C350 with 4matic. However, it only comes as a two door coupe.

The guy sitting right next to me at work has a 2104 C350 4matic sedan, not a coupe. Almost all the 4matic C350's in my city are sedans.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 PM

2008 W204
Originally Posted by B737
you're kidding right?
---edit---
i had to erase my post cause this has got to be a joke
Name a sedan that is more ergonomic than the w204
Old 05-26-2017, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
Name a sedan that is more ergonomic than the w204
Not to derail this thread, but in what manner?

Ergonomics is a very subjective topic.

Personally I think the Maybach 62 was a more ergonomic sedan but I don't think that's a fair comparison
Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 PM

2008 W204
Not to derail this thread, but in what manner?

Ergonomics is a very subjective topic.

Personally I think the Maybach 62 was a more ergonomic sedan but I don't think that's a fair comparison
ergonomic: relating to or designed for efficiency and comfort in the working environment.

W204 = all that is necessary for daily driving: comfort, sport, safety, efficiency, simplicity, reliability, style, modesty, and quality. Nothing extreme or extraneous... but all well done.

Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:42 AM

2012 GLK
really, i still think you're just pulling our legs here but i'll have a go at it...

the 204 interior is stuffed full of fake leather and vinyl. it's wrapped entirely in cheap crappy plastics. there is zero use of any quality materials through its cabin. It is not any different than a GM or toyota. You can reach everything from your seat in almost every passenger vehicle on the market.

example? god forbid you and your passenger have a drink in each of the only two cup holders, there is no place to put sunglasses, wallets, or small belongings within easy reach without stowing someplace inconvenient. the 204 could not be further from setting any standards interior wise.

a ten year old accord is more ergonomic than this vehicle. but that's just the nature of European cars.

Last edited by B737; 05-27-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
really, i still think you're just pulling our legs here but i'll have a go at it...

the 204 interior is stuffed full of fake leather and vinyl. it's wrapped entirely in cheap crappy plastics. there is zero use of any quality materials through its cabin. It is not any different than a GM or toyota. You can reach everything from your seat in almost every passenger vehicle on the market.

example? god forbid you and your passenger have a drink in each of the only two cup holders, there is no place to put sunglasses, wallets, or small belongings within easy reach without stowing someplace inconvenient. the 204 could not be further from setting any standards interior wise.

a ten year old accord is more ergonomic than this vehicle. but that's just the nature of European cars.
What does the material used in a vehicle have anything to do with ergonomics?

You are also, again, making unsubstantiated claims here.

For example, you claim that the plastics used are "cheap crappy" - cite?
You also insinuate that the vinyl/fake leather used is also cheaper than other mainstream vehicles? - cite?

You have no access to the COGS of any of the materials used here, and so even if that was relevant to the topic about ergonomics, your post is still full of conjecture and not factual in any way.

*Since you took this thread off tangent, I don't disagree with you that there is plenty of vinyl and fake leather (really - just vinyl) used. I will say that I actually prefer this having owned vehicles that were covered in traditional leather. MBTex has simply worn a lot better than traditional leather, and I was || close to getting a designo edition C class but glad I did not - but again, we are going on a tangent here
Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM

2012 GLK
you dont need to cite work to see that it's all the same crappy plastic and vinyl used in every other similar mainstream vehicle out there. the 204 is on par with every other vehicle in its middle of the road class. It is not out of the ordinary or especially nice.

go look at nicer cars, and you will see what a higher quality interior looks like. yes i read your post about the S-Class and it was laughable. An A8, S or Designo S is entering into the realm of a quality, thought out, interior. if you need a citation, go sit in one again and look more carefully. there is no comparison to our mundane cabin and materials.

Ergonomic? def not. you should not have to stuff your wallet or other belongings into a tiny net on the other side of the center console in front of the passenger to stow it for a short drive. there should be places that are not behind doors, to place everyday items on your person while using the vehicle. any perceived 'awesome ergonomics' are simply a coincidental byproduct of the small cabin. have a look at a Honda or Toyota, when it comes to being people friendly, it is pretty obvious when you sit inside one, that it was made for humans.

German cars are not made for humans really, they are definitely not made to be worked on by humans. I keep buying them because i am masochistic.

Last edited by B737; 05-27-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:28 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
I think things for the most part are laid out within easy reach and logically placed with a generally quality feel, but I don't think any more so than a lot of other brands. A few of my personal ergonomic observations:

-The parking brake position/deign makes it too easy to hit when getting in or out of the car.

-The short stalk to adjust the steering wheel is easy to hit when the steering wheel is adjusted down a little and towards the driver.

-I do like the shape/feel of the buttons for the heated seats the way they are rounded at the bottom a little to match the shape of your finger tip.

-I like the feel and sound of the round temperature adjusting buttons. Simple and easy to use. Position of the them, along with the other HVAC controls is too low and hard to see when driving.

-I am mixed on the split opening on the bin in the console between the seats. Nice in that it is a compact opening as opposed to having to raise and move back a large cover, but the positioning of the buttons is both awkward and seems harder to activate than it needs to be.

-Love the seat adjustments up on the door. Much better than the usual position near the bottom of the seat where it is difficult to adjust when the door is closed.

-The COMMAND knob feels cheap when moving it front/back/left right; much better when twisting.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
you dont need to cite work to see that it's all the same crappy plastic and vinyl used in every other similar mainstream vehicle out there. the 204 is on par with every other vehicle in its middle of the road class. It is not out of the ordinary or especially nice.

go look at nicer cars, and you will see what a higher quality interior looks like. yes i read your post about the S-Class and it was laughable. An A8, S or Designo S is entering into the realm of a quality, thought out, interior. if you need a citation, go sit in one again and look more carefully. there is no comparison to our mundane cabin and materials.

Ergonomic? def not. you should not have to stuff your wallet or other belongings into a tiny net on the other side of the center console in front of the passenger to stow it for a short drive. there should be places that are not behind doors, to place everyday items on your person while using the vehicle. any perceived 'awesome ergonomics' are simply a coincidental byproduct of the small cabin. have a look at a Honda or Toyota, when it comes to being people friendly, it is pretty obvious when you sit inside one, that it was made for humans.

German cars are not made for humans really, they are definitely not made to be worked on by humans. I keep buying them because i am masochistic.
Based on this post you are assuming the the plastic in a C class is different than the plastic used on the S class? No, I don't think so.

Is the MBTex worse on the C class than the E class? No, I don't think so.

Would a general plebian choose to own a C/E class over an Accord? I think so.

I don't have an issue with the storage design on the C class. Then again I'm not the typical American with 3 large cokes from McDonalds and an ever increasing waistline

If you think the C class has poor storage, I'd urge you to drive an Italian supercar
Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 PM

2012 GLK
Based on this post you are assuming the the plastic in a C class is different than the plastic used on the S class? No, I don't think so.

Is the MBTex worse on the C class than the E class? No, I don't think so.

Would a general plebian choose to own a C/E class over an Accord? I think so.

I don't have an issue with the storage design on the C class. Then again I'm not the typical American with 3 large cokes from McDonalds and an ever increasing waistline

If you think the C class has poor storage, I'd urge you to drive an Italian supercar
i already own a car that came from the factory with zero cup holders, it's german too, also a pain in the nuts to work on.

and yes the build of an S class interior is worlds apart from that of a C class. cant comment on E but i would suspect it's ahead as well. Although my only experience with E was years ago.

no ones throwing insults here, except you. but each time you post it's evident how much MB koolaid you drink and how little real awareness you have outside the brand.

and about your "plebian" people. these plebeians who drive a new accord or toyota can also afford a 204 series vehicle. yet are smart enough to drive the more reliable vehicle. there is a reason hondas, toyotas hold their resale value and MB does not.

some people in this thread are putting the 204 on a pedestal as far as build and ergonomics, and that couldnt be the further from reality, it is quite ordinary. I'm just here to keep things real.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
i already own a car that came from the factory with zero cup holders, it's german too, also a pain in the nuts to work on.

and yes the build of an S class interior is worlds apart from that of a C class. cant comment on E but i would suspect it's ahead as well. Although my only experience with E was years ago.

no ones throwing insults here, except you. but each time you post it's evident how much MB koolaid you drink and how little real awareness you have outside the brand.

and about your "plebian" people. these plebeians who drive a new accord or toyota can also afford a 204 series vehicle. yet are smart enough to drive the more reliable vehicle. there is a reason hondas, toyotas hold their resale value and MB does not.

some people in this thread are putting the 204 on a pedestal as far as build and ergonomics, and that couldnt be the further from reality, it is quite ordinary. I'm just here to keep things real.

A W204 is not an S class, and it's not a Rolls. The fact that you are equating a build quality of an Accord as the same as a C class is laughable.

According to truedelta and other sources, a W204 is actually more reliable than an Accord. You love spewing posts that are not based in actual fact and when asked to cite you often deflect.

I never put the C class on a high pedestal. Again, I ask you if the plastic used on a S are the same or not as a C - and yet you deflect.

I highly doubt MB sources a different plastic for use on a C class vs a S vs a B, it just makes no sense from an economy of scale perspective and there is no perceivable difference in the plastic used on either series production vehicle.

But hey, continue going on and on with your baseless posts.

Why are you even on this board anyways, troll? Actually, based on your own argument, you're an idiot for owning a Mercedes. LOL
Old 05-27-2017, 12:58 PM

2012 GLK
They are dude. go have a look at a top tier trim class of a honda or toyota, same stuff.

I am idiot for not owning 3 hondas or toyotas, yes. they are more practical, easy to work on, and the interior is essentially the same. do they look as nice? def not. Are they as much fun? no, they are boring and basic (im not calling the 204 fun by any stretch, it's an ordinary means of transportation).

im here because i want to learn and share information, but the koolaid is thick.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:03 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
If you haven't seen a high trim level Honda or Mazda or something similar I would suggest you have a look. There are a lot of very nice high quality looking and feeling interiors out there even at lower price points these days. Just because it is a Mercedes doesn't mean anything. Look at the pre-face lift W204s. They looked rather spartan and somewhat cheap back when they were new and even with the face lift there are things that are hardly what I would say scream "luxury". Not saying it is a piece of crap and I do like the interior overall, but you have to look at it for what it is: a more entry level Mercedes and built to a price point where compromises are made. like pretty much any other car that list for under $50K.

My previous car was a 2005 Jaguar, which was a direct competitor to the C Class and 3 series BMW. Overall I thought the quality of the and feel of the interior pieces was better than my current car. Had a real factory carbon fiber dash and had a mix of leather/pleathera/alcantara seats. As much as I liked that, there were still some of the plastic surfaces that you wonder why the finish and texture weren't better.
The following users liked this post:
B737 (05-27-2017)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a C