C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire wear issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C320 sport 2003, c300 4matic sport 2013, 2018 GLE63 AMG
Tire wear issue

Wear is not even.
I can lift some od the rubber and feel metal wires right where my finger is
Firestone alignment results
2013 c300 40k miles stock tires.

has anyone seen this type of wear? What can be an issue? I did an alignment in april at the firestone and now thats what has happened to my tire. I was doing a plug because of nail and knoticed that tire tred shifted i guess towards the outside of the car and the insed is ripped in some parts of the tire but air is not leaking, i can feel metal wires when i lift some of the ripped rubber.

Original continental tires on original 17 rims
Old 06-02-2017, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
^It's hard to see in this picture, but it appears to me your tires are underinflated. Why?

It seems both the inner and outer sides of the tire suffer a bit more wear than the middle. Now, it might very well be fine PSI wise, but that's my first guess. On any other car if you see excessive wear in the middle, the tires are overinflated, and if you see excessive wear on the outer shoulders, the tires are underinflated.

On a W204, it's a crapshoot.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
^It's hard to see in this picture, but it appears to me your tires are underinflated. Why?

It seems both the inner and outer sides of the tire suffer a bit more wear than the middle. Now, it might very well be fine PSI wise, but that's my first guess. On any other car if you see excessive wear in the middle, the tires are overinflated, and if you see excessive wear on the outer shoulders, the tires are underinflated.

On a W204, it's a crapshoot.
i keep it at 33-34 psi, maybe i should change my struts with springs but inner outer shoulder has more wear then outer shoulder.
Thanks for reply
Old 06-03-2017, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by arkim989
i keep it at 33-34 psi, maybe i should change my struts with springs but inner outer shoulder has more wear then outer shoulder.
Thanks for reply
Yeah Ok then this is above my paygrade. Your tire pressures look fine - so perhaps it could be the shocks but I can't explain why your alignment appears to be perfect then - how often do you do an alignment?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Just wondered whether you are hard on tyres? Heavy cornering?

Are you driving on harsh, lose or steep surfaces?

My OEM Bridgestones failed similarly. I took it to be a poor quality tyre. The next set Mitchelin Primacy held up well.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Carsy

My OEM Bridgestones failed similarly. I took it to be a poor quality tyre. The next set Mitchelin Primacy held up well.
I thought about this too.

My Michelin Primacys have fared well (or extremely well given the feedback on this thread). However, I only see the outer shoulder of the tire being a bit more worn than the rest (just like every car I've owned because this Penguin likes to drive HARD ). The inner shoulder of all 4 tires don't have any pronounced/excessive wear.

Curious - did your Bridgestones have excessive inner tire wear as well?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:26 PM

Yeah Ok then this is above my paygrade. Your tire pressures look fine - so perhaps it could be the shocks but I can't explain why your alignment appears to be perfect then - how often do you do an alignment?
i did alignment one time this year in february and one in november last year.. i think it shoks as well because i cant stick two fingers vertically in between tire and fender.

Originally Posted by Carsy

i actually dont do heavy cornering at all, i drive in boston and roads suck here but i do avoid every potholes and bumps a lot. I want to kill this tyres before getting mitchelin sports. Rear tyres are just like new. Do you know by any chance if i can keep continental tyres in the back and put mitchelin on front? Rims are staggered.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
i did alignment one time this year in february and one in november last year.. i think it shoks as well because i cant stick two fingers vertically in between tire and fender.

i actually dont do heavy cornering at all, i drive in boston and roads suck here but i do avoid every potholes and bumps a lot. I want to kill this tyres before getting mitchelin sports. Rear tyres are just like new. Do you know by any chance if i can keep continental tyres in the back and put mitchelin on front? Rims are staggered.
Don't mix tires like that unless you want to die.

Not worth saving the few hundred dollars.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2017 AMG GT, 2015 ML350, 2013 C300
I have the same inner / outside wear on my front tires. The PSI was at 32. I have since bumped them up to 36 PSI.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by M~Factor
I have the same inner / outside wear on my front tires. The PSI was at 32. I have since bumped them up to 36 PSI.
Did that help?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by M~Factor
im going to try the same, roads suck here tho, i want to see how it will drive. Its not going to explode when driving right? As you can see in the picture my tire is ripped a little.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
im going to try the same, roads suck here tho, i want to see how it will drive. Its not going to explode when driving right? As you can see in the picture my tire is ripped a little.
As long as the tire pressure you put in is less than the tire pressure on the side wall that indicates what the max cold tire pressure is, you'll be fine.

So to answer your question, no, it won't explode and yes it'll be fine.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport

It's like that in the front with gap and a little more in the back on mine..
Old 06-06-2017, 02:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
OP...to me it seems like your biggest problem is the overall age of the tire, and in my experience, the primary cause of tread separation is dry/brittle/old tires. The "general" shelf life of a tire is around 6 years, but depending on environmental conditions and how they are stored, this value varies. You may have a 2013, but keep in mind your tires may have been manufactured before that year.

This leads me to a conversation I had with another enthusiast, in that while some tires tote very high wear values (UTQG), depending on the driver, the tire may expire well before they reach the wear bars. In these scenarios, it would have benefited the driver more by going with a lower wear rating tire and an overall increase of grip. You basically want to find a balance of age vs treadwear.

If I was in your shoes, I would replace those tires...or at the very minimum avoid doing any high speed runs in fear of a blowout.

Also, keep in mind as the tire ages, the compound also changes (regardless of wear). So if you are used to cornering a spot at a certain speed, don't expect the same tires to behave the same 5 years later even though the amount of tread is the same.

FYI, I'm currently on Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have been on them since I replaced the OEM set at 30k miles. I have 80k now and to be honest, I'd never go back, but I do live in CA and my car never sees snow. BUT...seeing as you are in a 4-matic, I'd look into the AS3+ instead.

Last edited by edgalang; 06-06-2017 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good advice.JC
Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Don't mix tires like that unless you want to die.

Not worth saving the few hundred dollars.

Penguin,
I am not sure what your experience in tires is but I can 100% assure you that you will not die if you mix two brands as long as they are the proper size, speed & load rating, compound type (summer, AS, Summer etc) and on the same axle.

I work in the auto industry for someone that installs 4 Million yes, 4 Million tires a year on cars. Is it ideal, of course not. Could you damage your car, unlikely, die? Not unless you put two summer tires and two winter tires and then decide to go driving in heavy snow or you decide to put all seasons up front and high performance Z rated or higher tires on your hi-po car and then go over 150 miles an hour . Two compatible all season tires of the appropriate size on the same axle by two different manufacturers should not be an issue. Just adding some clarity to the topic
Old 06-06-2017, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good clarity!
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Penguin,
I am not sure what your experience in tires is but I can 100% assure you that you will not die if you mix two brands as long as they are the proper size, speed & load rating, compound type (summer, AS, Summer etc) and on the same axle.

I work in the auto industry for someone that installs 4 Million yes, 4 Million tires a year on cars. Is it ideal, of course not. Could you damage your car, unlikely, die? Not unless you put two summer tires and two winter tires and then decide to go driving in heavy snow or you decide to put all seasons up front and high performance Z rated or higher tires on your hi-po car and then go over 150 miles an hour . Two compatible all season tires of the appropriate size on the same axle by two different manufacturers should not be an issue. Just adding some clarity to the topic
I agree saying one will die mixing tires is extreme but I'm dead against mixing tires because of one thing in particular. You can match speed rating/load index, maybe match general compound type at best or what not. But... Every tire has different handling characteristics, every tire behaves differently even if small and that can cause a accident vs not having one. Plus, tire manufacturers do not tell the general public their tire compound makeup and structure so ur just guessing.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Just204
I agree saying one will die mixing tires is extreme but I'm dead against mixing tires because of one thing in particular. You can match speed rating/load index, maybe match general compound type at best or what not. But... Every tire has different handling characteristics, every tire behaves differently even if small and that can cause a accident vs not having one. Plus, tire manufacturers do not tell the general public their tire compound makeup and structure so ur just guessing.
This. If you're doodling around town, it's no biggie, but in the off chance you hydroplane driving 70mph when it's 35F out...

You want all 4 tires to be the same.

Now if you want to live on the edge, sure, mix and match tires, heck have 4 tires that are all different, go nuts! YOLO, right?

As far as what I would do, no thanks. I don't risk the 4 tiny contact patches on my vehicle.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
"This. If you're doodling around town, it's no biggie, but in the off chance you hydroplane driving 70mph when it's 35F out..."

If you are hydroplaning your tires are not making ANY contact with the road, so at that point what difference would it make what tires you have on?

Yes, I am only kidding.....couldn't resist. Sorry.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2005 Porsche 911, 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 2012 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Guys,
As I said it is not ideal and not something I would do, just wanted to add clarity on the you will die comment.
Alfa,
Technically you are correct. If you are hydro planing, the tires won't make a difference since none of them are making contact, but to Penguin's point, once they do make contact, different tires will behave differently which will affect how the vehicle handles coming back in contact with the pavement.
Clearly, 4 matched tires (including staggered fitments) replaced at the same time is ideal for all situations but unless you get in a situation like the 4 wheel hydroplane no one should die.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Atlas Grey
Guys,
As I said it is not ideal and not something I would do, just wanted to add clarity on the you will die comment.
Alfa,
Technically you are correct. If you are hydro planing, the tires won't make a difference since none of them are making contact, but to Penguin's point, once they do make contact, different tires will behave differently which will affect how the vehicle handles coming back in contact with the pavement.
Clearly, 4 matched tires (including staggered fitments) replaced at the same time is ideal for all situations but unless you get in a situation like the 4 wheel hydroplane no one should die.
Umm...

Some tires are more effective at resisting hydroplaning, and some tires are worse. The worst case scenario is this case is either

All 4 tires hydroplane and 2 tires end up grabbing traction first
Or all 4 tires hydroplane and none end up grabbing traction until it's too late.

If all 4 tires hydroplane and they all end up getting traction at some point but at different points, that can also be a problem.

Anyways, the point here is

Is it worth a $300 savings or $500 savings and be screwed in the off chance in an emergency scenario? Well, that's up to each person.

I also buy insurance. I'm worried about a rainy day. I also understand some choose to live on the edge...so...there is that. To each their own.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C220 CDI SLK 200
If the alignment and tire pressures are OK the next thing I would be checking are the bushes in the suspension. Next would be the Struts