C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C300 Sport - WONT START!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300
2009 C300 Sport - WONT START!

Hi guys, today wasn't such a great day for me and my girlfriend. We went to the beach, had a great time. When time comes to leave we hop in the car and start heading out of the beach park. At the exit of the beach park my lights start to go out, (CHECK PARKING LAMPS, FOG LIGHTS, SIDEMARKERS, ETC) so as a regular mercedes driver I turn the car off and turn it back on and it showed the same message. So I ignored it, I drove off and like 10 seconds later going at 15 MPH my car shuts off out of the blue and steering wheel stiffed up with like 5 cars behind me on a 1 lane road. I try to turn on the car and drive it towards the curb it turns off like 2 seconds after engine start and wheel stiffed again. Sitting at the curb waiting for the tow truck something very out of the ordinary started happening. All front end lights were flashing, and my horn would honk like 3-5 times every other few seconds with the key OFF the ignition. Now that it has been towed to my house it will not start at all anymore and all these weird symptoms stopped. The only weird symptom that's happening now is that if I unlock/lock the car the right low beam light is the only light that stays on while the light switch is on the O. Guys if you have any idea what's going on and why my car wont start please help I'm desperate. I'm sure it's not the ESL or ESI because I've tested the wheel lock and it's functioning fine as I was able to push my car in my driveway and steer it in also I turned on the alarm and put the fob in the socket and it turned off. I checked all fuses, seems to be fine. I think it might be something electrical causing the car not to turn on and that right low-beam to be turned on for no reason. Thanks for reading and helping.

Last edited by jetlonestar; 07-29-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
You mentioned electrical, then I'm thinking about the battery and the alternator.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:13 AM

2009 c300
Hey thanks for the response, I don't believe it's the battery nor the alternator to be honest. The battery is fully charged brand new actually. I just get the ABS ESP SRS, inoperative messages & won't start
Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Take the car to a shop.

You have an issue with the chassis CAN or the front sam.

Any chance the floor is wet on the right side? Water leaks from clogged sunroof drains are the primary cause of 204 electrical problems. You can lift the right side carpet and find a pool of water, the bus bars will be wet and corroded, everything loses signal and shuts down. I've had some where just replacing the bus bar and cleaning the harness connectors is sufficient, others have needed harness repairs. Also be sure you fix the source of the leak, unless it was you leaving the sunroof open or something that can be easily prevented.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 AM

2009 c300
Thank you so much for your info, I forgot to mention that we both got in the car SOAKING(DRENCHED & DRIPPING) wet because it began to pour on our way to the car. Could it be that we may have wet some type of electrical sockets on either the driver or passenger side under the seat or god knows Where?

@ItalianJoe1 your statement seems most accurate as I didn't even mention anything getting wet. I believe it's something inn the cabin either under the seats or the mats like you said

PS: I don't want to have to take it to a shop, I can fix the car myself if I'm able to figure out the problem. I am having a diagnostic coming Monday but trying to figure it out as I need the car like asap..

Last edited by jetlonestar; 07-30-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM

2009 c300
Update: I've removed both front mats didn't find any bars on the passenger side but I didn't find 3 on the driver side. Floors weren't flooded but driver side mat was soaked in the cushion and DRIPPING water near the bars... I didn't feel any wetness near the cables though I am now blow drying the area to see if it'll make a change. I'll keep you updated. Please post if you have any ideas or information
Old 07-30-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Unplug the bus bars and check the connections, make sure there's no water in them. If any corrosion happens on the board inside, just replace them, they are cheap enough.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:16 PM

2009 c300
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Unplug the bus bars and check the connections, make sure there's no water in them. If any corrosion happens on the board inside, just replace them, they are cheap enough.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I have the car sitting in the sun with the battery off. I'll blow dry all plugs and put the interior back together before plugging up the battery. Before the diagnosis guy comes in, is there any bus bars in the rear interior I should be worried about?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by jetlonestar
I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I have the car sitting in the sun with the battery off. I'll blow dry all plugs and put the interior back together before plugging up the battery. Before the diagnosis guy comes in, is there any bus bars in the rear interior I should be worried about?
I believe all the interior ones are in the front footwells, it varies from car to car though, depending on the version of harness it has.