C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car just won't align :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Car just won't align :(

I've been trying to get my car aligned since I purchased it about 2 years ago. It has been to the dealer for an alignment (with caster bolts added) and several several corrections since then. Every time the car is delivered I have the reports showing everything in spec. Then within a day or so I notice it's back to drifting or pulling to the right.

In that time it has also gotten new tires. I replaced the contiprocontacts with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. But it hasn't helped with the alignment problems. I have also gotten several road force balances done.

Often times they mess up the steering wheel too. It usually comes back anywhere between 2-4 degrees off center which drives me nuts.

I used a independent Mercedes shop this last time. Despite the wheel being to the left by 2.5 degrees the car felt better balanced but it feels like it's starting to pull right more and more as the days go by.

I'll go back to the shop but I'm at a loss here. Numerous alignments, caster bolts, new tires, road force balances, etc. and the car just wants to pull right. Should I just tell the shop to make the car pull left? lol This isn't a case of road camber. I know what that feels like.

It wouldn't be so bad but as sensitive and twitchy as the steering is in these cars it can get a bit tiring to drive.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E350
Sounds like an issue with one side of your car. As you drive, settings change (toe, camber, etc). Have you checked all components? Seems maybe the right side is allowing the wheel to pull out under load (that didn't sound right). This would also explain the wheel being off. If they set it straight and did the alignment, as the car drives and pulls slightly to one side the steering wheel would follow suit.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Thanks for the reply. I suspect they may do a little more digging around when I bring the car back. Whatever it is must not be obvious.

I think in this case the wheel was just a little off at the time the alignment was set. The last time the dealer had it off to the right. But I've been wondering why nobody can seem to make the steering wheel straight. Perhaps I'm too picky at being annoyed by 1.5 to 3 degrees but I notice it.

Some years ago I had to bring my VW to a shop that specialized in manual alignments. That's all they do. The place looked like a leftover from the 1950s. I was told they were highly recommended for Mercedes cars as well. I'm not sure why the old fashioned way would be better. But they did an amazing alignment.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
can you show us the alignment print out?
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts
2020 C300, 2013 C250, 2000 Boxster S
Originally Posted by michail71
Thanks for the reply. I suspect they may do a little more digging around when I bring the car back. Whatever it is must not be obvious.

I think in this case the wheel was just a little off at the time the alignment was set. The last time the dealer had it off to the right. But I've been wondering why nobody can seem to make the steering wheel straight. Perhaps I'm too picky at being annoyed by 1.5 to 3 degrees but I notice it.

Some years ago I had to bring my VW to a shop that specialized in manual alignments. That's all they do. The place looked like a leftover from the 1950s. I was told they were highly recommended for Mercedes cars as well. I'm not sure why the old fashioned way would be better. But they did an amazing alignment.
Any chance you might have a right front brake caliper that is not releasing fully and causing the vehicle to pull to the right? Alignment shouldn't drift off after only a couple of days. The off-centre steering wheel should be just the shop making sure the wheel is centred and locked in position before adjusting the tie rods.
The following users liked this post:
michail71 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport

If you notice the steering wheel off center no way is it >3*. Just the way you are sitting can cause that type of affect no offense.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
My father once bought a pickup that was pulling to the right on accelleration and to the left on braking. We investigated and found a fixed component liked to the steering bent, but covered with mud, so difficult to see at 1st glance. If something is bend out of design, it will allow you the settings, but react out of norm as the suspention change height.
Try to push the car up and down and see if the front wheels stays in direction.
The following users liked this post:
michail71 (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Just204
If you notice the steering wheel off center no way is it >3*. Just the way you are sitting can cause that type of affect no offense.
That's just what the digital level says. But I do see it quite a bit. I'll show some photos of that offset.

** edit **

The math works out to 0.625 inches per foot for 3 degrees.

Last edited by michail71; 08-06-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
My father once bought a pickup that was pulling to the right on accelleration and to the left on braking. We investigated and found a fixed component liked to the steering bent, but covered with mud, so difficult to see at 1st glance. If something is bend out of design, it will allow you the settings, but react out of norm as the suspention change height.
Try to push the car up and down and see if the front wheels stays in direction.
Mine is pulling while just coasting at speed. I tested on a 2 lane road and it will pull up the road camber if I'm on the wrong side of the road. Funny thing is the wheel moves perfectly into the straight position when I let go.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by alynch
Any chance you might have a right front brake caliper that is not releasing fully and causing the vehicle to pull to the right? Alignment shouldn't drift off after only a couple of days. The off-centre steering wheel should be just the shop making sure the wheel is centred and locked in position before adjusting the tie rods.
Thanks, I don't have any unusual brake wear but I'll double check.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Did you get the camber/caster bolt kit as an add on to help with this exact problem?
Old 08-06-2017, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Did you get the camber/caster bolt kit as an add on to help with this exact problem?
That went on the first time I got an alignment. I'm not sure the reasons at that time.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by Just204
can you show us the alignment print out?
Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails Car just won't align :(-20170806_202344.jpg  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
you mentioned the dealer did one of the alignments? why not keep bringing it back there until they get it right?

im going through similar situation with GLK. put new tires on, and asked the local shop to NOT do an alignment. they did... and it went from going straight as an arrow to slightly pulling right and the steering wheel is ever so slightly cocked right as well. truck is at the dealer right now for a alignment. hopefully they'll get it right.

i would trust a dealer that does these cars day in and day out for something like an alignment over an indy.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by B737
you mentioned the dealer did one of the alignments? why not keep bringing it back there until they get it right?
I did many times. But it has been close to two year since the first attempt and the dealer is far away. There is a closer dealership but they won't correct the work from the other location. With that and the appointment process the dealerships use they wore me down.

Originally Posted by B737
i would trust a dealer that does these cars day in and day out for something like an alignment over an indy.
I used to think the same way but I've had enough borked up dealership services. I like being able to meet and talk with the mechanics directly.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
The indy shop finally got the alignment! OMG, I finally feel like I don't hate my car anymore. The steering on these cars is so light and sensitive it can be a misery when it's off.

I needed to get a set of bolts for the front right. It has gotten a little odd in that the dealer said they installed them on the front left but the shop said there are none there. Either way I needed them on the right and the dealer never could get it aligned.

The shop was hesitant to recommend installing them as there was no guarantee it would fix the issue. He said some Mercedes cars just don't want to align properly.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
The indy shop finally got the alignment! OMG, I finally feel like I don't hate my car anymore. The steering on these cars is so light and sensitive it can be a misery when it's off.

I needed to get a set of bolts for the front right. It has gotten a little odd in that the dealer said they installed them on the front left but the shop said there are none there. Either way I needed them on the right and the dealer never could get it aligned.

The shop was hesitant to recommend installing them as there was no guarantee it would fix the issue. He said some Mercedes cars just don't want to align properly.
Camber and caster bolts are what is required for a perfect alignment. I think your dealer is comprised of idiots.

Get the bolt kit and have them do it again. If they can't get it within spec then tell them you'll write into MBUSA.

There are specs for a reason.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C250 Sport
I'm never going to a dealership again. I've had bad experiences at multiple dealerships. It's perfect now and I think they'd only screw it up.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
I'm never going to a dealership again. I've had bad experiences at multiple dealerships. It's perfect now and I think they'd only screw it up.

Dealership here could not get my car to drive straight either. Always pulled to the right. I brought it back and they said it was fine.

Bull****.

I took my car to the auto body shop that fixes all the dealership cars and they did a perfect job for less than what the dealer charges.

My car drives perfect now as of yesterday morning. I would rather spend the $100 then try and go back to the dealership for a 3rd time.