Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint. - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint. >

Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint.

C-Class (W204) 2008-Present: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint.

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-11-2018, 09:12 AM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint.

A thread from the S class forum got me thinking about this - devil's in the details here, so pls refrain from skimming and commenting :-)

It is a pretty fundamental understanding that the more gears you have for a transmission the better the fuel economy is. This makes sense - anyone who has ever ridden a bike will know that the more gears you have = the easier it is for you to get started, and once you get going, the more gears you have = the less hard you have to work. It is also a generally accepted understanding that a 9 speed gearbox is more fuel efficient than a 4 speed gearbox, but probably less efficient than a CVT which has 1400+ settings.

Anyways, why then, is it also accepted that using Comfort mode on all MB sedans, such as the W204 is the more fuel efficient of the two (versus sport mode)? In C mode, you're starting off with second gear, thus bypassing first gear altogether. It would appear to me that starting off in first gear is more fuel efficient. That said, I do understand that Sport mode holds gears longer, and thus causes a drop in fuel mileage, but why didn't MB start off C mode in first gear, and continue to have it do what it does now, which is to upshift as early as possible?

Either the German engineers are idiots, or I am, and it's most likely the latter, but I still don't get this.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:54 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 434
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
C204
For comfort, I guess, as the name suggests.
dol4er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by dol4er View Post
For comfort, I guess, as the name suggests.
Given that argument then, what you're suggesting is that if the vehicle starts off in gear 2, as opposed to gear 1, in comfort mode, that the ride would be more comfortable. Yeah, I don't buy that. The shift from gear 1->2 is one of the smoothest shifts in our cars, so that doesn't make sense either.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 895
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
...not sure about the fuel efficiency standpoint, but from a comfort standpoint, this holds true. The W204 is not the only one I know that does this. For example, you can start a modern day Corvette in 4th since it has enough torque to get your going. It simply provides a smoother start (assuming the car in question has enough low end torque to do this). You'll also spin the tires less if driven on wet/icy roads.

As for the bike analogy (I'm a recreational cycler as well), no one starts in 1st (aka the granny gear).
edgalang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
First gear is pretty crap in our cars for normal driving unless you're going to race or push it at stoplights.

It does that little rpm flourish thing and shifts at like 5mph or something, so I'm sure the action of shifting itself is less fuel efficient than starting at lower rpm's in second gear.
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:58 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Man, this is why I, proverbially, love you guys. Answering my question using an analogy I used. Love it!

That said, it seems to me this first gear is pretty useless then. Not sure why MB even bothered with the first gear, because as was pointed out upthread, other carmakers actually use their first gear. wtf was MB thinking?
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
7 is a lucky number
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 895
Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
1st is still used if you need to accelerate out of the hole, and is used if you want to produce the lowest 0-60 time. I personally go in sports mode (utilizing 1st gear) when I'm in stop and go traffic, and need to merge into a clear lane from a dead stop. It's also useful when doing autocross or when you want to drive like a jackass.
edgalang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 380
Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
1st is still used if you need to accelerate out of the hole, and is used if you want to produce the lowest 0-60 time. I personally go in sports mode (utilizing 1st gear) when I'm in stop and go traffic, and need to merge into a clear lane from a dead stop. It's also useful when doing autocross or when you want to drive like a jackass.
Haha, my car hasn't seen comfort mode in months..You really have to come to a full stop for it to go to 1st anyways and once you stop I prefer a faster take off and love how fast it shifts 1st to 2nd.
ltwargssf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:09 AM
  #10  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 760
Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
2005 CLK 320
C Comfort mode started as W Winter mode with Mercedes. You would use W mode in snow or ice to reduce the torque and hence reduce wheel spin and tire wear. Then in 2005 I believe, they renamed it to Comfort.

I do use Comfort mode a lot for --comfort, not because the shift from 1 to 2 is not smooth, but because I would need to worry less about throttle finesse especially when pulling in and out of tight parking spaces and where precision is needed.
xsever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 434
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
C204
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Man, this is why I, proverbially, love you guys. Answering my question using an analogy I used. Love it!

That said, it seems to me this first gear is pretty useless then. Not sure why MB even bothered with the first gear, because as was pointed out upthread, other carmakers actually use their first gear. wtf was MB thinking?
Quite the opposite, 1 -> 2 is the only rough shift out of all other shifts between gears. If you drive around and you want comfort, why would you need the 1st gear? If you step on the gas, of course you will go through 1st gear even in Comfort mode.

Why would it be useless? If you decide to start quickly, you will need 1st gear. Aren't we discussing Comfort mode? If you are driving on Comfort mode, I guess you want to feel comfortable. I do not get your point at all.
dol4er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 201
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
2011 C300 Luxury
Starting in 2nd Gear has nothing to do with fuel economy. It’s for comfort. The 90s S Class (w140) did this by default.
I take it that you’ve probably never driven a stick shift. If you stay in first gear, it is twitchy, very sensitive, very abrupt acceleration etc. All of which is not elegant and smooth. Think if someone trying to take a drink from a glass of water while you’re about to drive.. more likely they’ll spill if you start in gear 1.
Does that mean gear 1 is useless? No. There are many instances where starting in gear 1 is useful, such as the need to overtake the car next to you when the light turns green, etc.
95Sinned420 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:09 AM
  #13  
Super Member
 
xsever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 760
Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420 View Post
Does that mean gear 1 is useless? No. There are many instances where starting in gear 1 is useful, such as the need to overtake the car next to you when the light turns green, etc.
or trying to take off uphill from a standstill. You'll need the 1st gear then.
xsever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 136
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
I'd like to change gears here a bit and hear what folks think is the reason for having 2 reverse ratio gears ?
gamma300C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:09 AM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gamma300C View Post
I'd like to change gears here a bit and hear what folks think is the reason for having 2 reverse ratio gears ?
I tell my friends it's handy if you're ever running from the cops in reverse.
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adi-Benz For This Useful Post:
superangrypenguin (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:51 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by gamma300C View Post
I'd like to change gears here a bit and hear what folks think is the reason for having 2 reverse ratio gears ?
Clearly you've never done a reverse drag race...
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California
Posts: 343
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
My C250 coupe has two transmission setting "E" for economy and 'S' for sport.................the default is E (you need to push S to get a 1st gear start).

The E setting got my attention early (a 440 mile round trip to Carmel which calc'd out at just under 35 MPG. Made my day/weekend).

Nice car.



ez

Last edited by ezshift5; 03-12-2018 at 11:08 AM.
ezshift5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 AM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
Also if I remember correctly, sport doesn't use 7th gear.
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz View Post
Also if I remember correctly, sport doesn't use 7th gear.
Wait, seriously?! Well I can try this tomorrow on a road trip but I'm genuinely surprised if this is the case.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 380
Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz View Post
Also if I remember correctly, sport doesn't use 7th gear.
No that's not true, Im in sport by default and do a lot of highway, definitely goes into 7th gear at around 116-118km/h.
ltwargssf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
Idk maybe another false rumor I remember.

I'll try later.
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Adi-Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 200 Times in 180 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC
I wouldn't say I necesarrily confirmed this, however I went 160km/h off the ramp so I'm sure I'd had to have used 7th gear lol.
Adi-Benz is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 380
Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz View Post
I wouldn't say I necesarrily confirmed this, however I went 160km/h off the ramp so I'm sure I'd had to have used 7th gear lol.
lool, well I can confirm because when I do long trips I'm always at 118-120km/h since it shifts into 7th gear right at about 116km/h, thats how I get the best mpg, got it as low at 8.0L/100km
ltwargssf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 AM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Odd Piggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, Texas (area)
Posts: 40
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2013 C250, 2015 GLK350
The fuel consumption of my C250 is so low that I don't think it matters much which setting is used. The fact that the car will select 1st gear automatically if the throttle is pushed briskly from a standing start makes it sensible for my driving style to leave it in "C" all the time. First gear on my 722.9 transmission is 13.49:1 and so first would be used only up to 2-3 MPH in most cases. Even with 2nd gear starts, the gearing makes me first away from the suburban traffic signals most of the time anyway.

I had a 2003 E320 and the "C" was "W" as noted by xsever. Somewhere between there and 2013 that change was made. That earlier car also had the 2 reverse gears (722.6 5 speed transmission). i believe the owner's manual said it was for backing on icy roads in winter just like the starting in second, because it selected the higher of the two reverse gears in "W."

Compared to the E320, the C250 is like a rocket powered skate board (lighter car, same torque at lower engine speed, and better gearing), so either selection is better than the 5 speed.
Odd Piggy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:34 AM
  #25  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 136
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
2009 MB C300 Sport 4matic
"That earlier car also had the 2 reverse gears (722.6 5 speed transmission). i believe the owner's manual said it was for backing on icy roads in winter just like the starting in second, because it selected the higher of the two reverse gears in "W."

Interesting explanation for my W204's reverse gears..would apply if in "C" mode only then I suppose or not?
gamma300C is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comfort/sport mode makes no sense, from a fuel efficiency standpoint.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: