Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
W204 C300 COMAND audio cutting out >

W204 C300 COMAND audio cutting out

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Old 07-23-2018, 02:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 190E 2.3-16V; 2011 C300 M/T

I'm hoping the community can save my bacon on what could be a massive invoice at the dealer...

I have a 2011 C300 Sport with the Navi/multimedia upgrade (flip out screen). Here's what happens -

When I start the car in the morning, the music and COMAND all work fine. If I shut the car off after getting to my destination, but restart it again too soon after shutting down the car, the speakers will emit what I can only describe as a pitchy "popping" sound in rapid succession, followed by a steady, softer "pop" that remains unless I turn the system off (using the main power button while the car is running); turning it right back on again or doing a soft reset don't bring the audio back. The screen is lit, the music files will show as playing, NAVI works... it's just that nothing has sound, and the radio can't tune anything (as in, it can't find radio stations, which I'm assuming is because it can't detect prerequisite audio which would indicate a clear radio station). If I leave the car off for 30 minutes or so, everything works fine. Also, it's not EVERY time that this cut out occurs, but it's frequent enough that I need to fix it. When I explained the issue to a service manager at a local MB dealer, he struggled to follow and suggested I'd need a full diagnostic done ($$$) on the system. My experience with the dealer is that their answer to everything is replacement.

To the best of my understanding of electronics, it's almost as though the COMAND is entering a lengthy 'sleep mode' sequence that can't be interrupted or errors arise (kinda like Windows). If it's been just a few minutes from powering off the car (like the length of time it takes to pump gas), the COMAND shutdown/sleep is essentially 'interrupted' thereby glitching the amplifier. When the car is off for more than 15-20 minutes it enters a full shutdown, so it's able to properly boot thereafter.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c63 w204
Hi! did you fix it ?I have the same problem no one know what is the problem.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larandres View Post
Hi! did you fix it ?I have the same problem no one know what is the problem.
I'm still dealing with it. No one has been forthcoming with information and a trip to the dealership amounted to nothing but some 'bro' service manager making me feel like I'm either stupid or crazy.

My best guess at this stage is that it's the main AMP unit, and it's heat related. If the stereo is on for a length of time, and I shut the car off and then back on again, the sound will cut out (no sound, just intermittent 'pops'). Likewise, if it's a particularly hot day the stereo won't play. Just silence with an intermittent popping sound.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2009 C350
i had the same issue with h/k sound on my c350 , sorted by buying a new AMP.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300 w204
Originally Posted by Ricky190 View Post
I'm hoping the community can save my bacon on what could be a massive invoice at the dealer...

I have a 2011 C300 Sport with the Navi/multimedia upgrade (flip out screen). Here's what happens -

When I start the car in the morning, the music and COMAND all work fine. If I shut the car off after getting to my destination, but restart it again too soon after shutting down the car, the speakers will emit what I can only describe as a pitchy "popping" sound in rapid succession, followed by a steady, softer "pop" that remains unless I turn the system off (using the main power button while the car is running); turning it right back on again or doing a soft reset don't bring the audio back. The screen is lit, the music files will show as playing, NAVI works... it's just that nothing has sound, and the radio can't tune anything (as in, it can't find radio stations, which I'm assuming is because it can't detect prerequisite audio which would indicate a clear radio station). If I leave the car off for 30 minutes or so, everything works fine. Also, it's not EVERY time that this cut out occurs, but it's frequent enough that I need to fix it. When I explained the issue to a service manager at a local MB dealer, he struggled to follow and suggested I'd need a full diagnostic done ($$$) on the system. My experience with the dealer is that their answer to everything is replacement.

To the best of my understanding of electronics, it's almost as though the COMAND is entering a lengthy 'sleep mode' sequence that can't be interrupted or errors arise (kinda like Windows). If it's been just a few minutes from powering off the car (like the length of time it takes to pump gas), the COMAND shutdown/sleep is essentially 'interrupted' thereby glitching the amplifier. When the car is off for more than 15-20 minutes it enters a full shutdown, so it's able to properly boot thereafter.
Did you find the issue with this? Great explanation as this is exactly was I'm experiencing. Maybe an AMP?

Old 12-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff75 View Post
Did you find the issue with this? Great explanation as this is exactly was I'm experiencing. Maybe an AMP?
Spot on. I'm thinking it's amp too, but I haven't bought one yet. I'm currently dealing with my 30-pin connector in the glovebox not working. It's either not receiving power or it's not being read by the firmware... or something else. I'm f**king pissed because it's likely a trip to the dealership to get bent over a barrel for software updates. I'll ask the tech about the amp when I make that appointment and report back.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C300 w204
Any updates Ricky?