C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Costco tire ruined one of my wheels finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
Costco tire ruined one of my wheels finish

So I bought a set of Michelin Pilot sport 4s (hope you guys enjoy them btw lol) and decided to have Costco tire mount and balance them, I expressed great concern about them to be careful and they assured me that their machines do not touch the wheels at all??? I went ahead and paid. Looked all over the lip of the wheels and surprisingly no rashes or anything. Got home and actually noticed that the guy who was balancing the wheels either used a f**cking screw driver or scraper to remove the old weight. The one picture I attached is the most severe but there’s some light scratching on the other ones too. So I’m not sure what to do, should I file a claim with Costco? I paid a lot of money for theses wheels and it hurts me that they got somewhat messed up lol. I mean it doesnt look so serious but every time I look at the wheels on the car it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Blockheads! I hate the way tire places trash your wheels. Had many frustrating experiences like this too. The one that really drives me nuts is when they roll your wheel across the shop floor and let it flop over onto the face.

I actually take my Porsche wheels and tires to a wheel refinishing place tor mount and balance because I know they care about wheels!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by BenzAMG99
So I bought a set of Michelin Pilot sport 4s (hope you guys enjoy them btw lol) and decided to have Costco tire mount and balance them, I expressed great concern about them to be careful and they assured me that their machines do not touch the wheels at all??? I went ahead and paid. Looked all over the lip of the wheels and surprisingly no rashes or anything. Got home and actually noticed that the guy who was balancing the wheels either used a f**cking screw driver or scraper to remove the old weight. The one picture I attached is the most severe but there’s some light scratching on the other ones too. So I’m not sure what to do, should I file a claim with Costco? I paid a lot of money for theses wheels and it hurts me that they got somewhat messed up lol. I mean it doesnt look so serious but every time I look at the wheels on the car it sticks out like a sore thumb.
That's not surprising, unfortunately. At the very least, make sure you take some paint (meant for calipers due to the heat in that area) and spray paint that area. I don't know if it will rust and/or corrode, but it's worth covering that part up.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I got lucky I guess. Not a single scratch, it's like no one touched em.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
I got lucky I guess. Not a single scratch, it's like no one touched em.
I'm just going to make a statement here and say you absolutely got lucky. Costco folks are dealing with mass market cars and the mass majority of people don't care about their cars. Rims/wheels and such - I only ever let a dealer touch them. They know how an*al some of us are with our cars, and rightly so "best or nothing" BS that they use
Old 10-01-2018, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm just going to make a statement here and say you absolutely got lucky. Costco folks are dealing with mass market cars and the mass majority of people don't care about their cars. Rims/wheels and such - I only ever let a dealer touch them. They know how an*al some of us are with our cars, and rightly so "best or nothing" BS that they use
I should clarify I didn't go to Costco (none nearby). For my tire sizes most average places wouldnt mount, their machines couldn't do ones that thin I guess (not that thin but ok) so I took it to a shop I got recommended that sells wheels/tires, privately owned (Black forest Tire? In WI) and they did a good job.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550
i'd be pissed! what is their policy on claims once you have left the facility, though? i'd imagine they would put up a fight since you didnt say anything while there -- or did you? either way I would say something or start a claim with them!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 70 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
I hate to say this but I have to, you went to Costco.... what did you expect?

listen, you get what you pay for and you chose one of the cheapest prices to mount tires on expensive rims. The 2 should not go together. They are probably going to blow you off and ignore you, at least you could hold a dealership accountable and they would fix it (at least where I am). I'm super an*l about 2 things with my cars, the ride and brakes. I hate vibrations like no other. Thankfully, I'm a BMW tech and on my free time can afford to spend 45min force matching a(1) wheel and tire so I can have a good ride while not scratching my rims. But I hate to say even dealers don't pay their techs to do a true road force/road match anymore because y'all don't want to pay for the time it takes , we just have better equipment and generally give a d*mn about not doing a crappy job.

But I am sorry you had to go through this man.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by Just204
I hate to say this but I have to, you went to Costco.... what did you expect?

listen, you get what you pay for and you chose one of the cheapest prices to mount tires on expensive rims. The 2 should not go together. They are probably going to blow you off and ignore you, at least you could hold a dealership accountable and they would fix it (at least where I am). I'm super an*l about 2 things with my cars, the ride and brakes. I hate vibrations like no other. Thankfully, I'm a BMW tech and on my free time can afford to spend 45min force matching a(1) wheel and tire so I can have a good ride while not scratching my rims. But I hate to say even dealers don't pay their techs to do a true road force/road match anymore because y'all don't want to pay for the time it takes , we just have better equipment and generally give a d*mn about not doing a crappy job.

But I am sorry you had to go through this man.
Thanks, I guess I learned my lesson hahah I’ll just cover it up with touch up paint. But I did let Costco aware about this and they said they will contact me soon.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 PM

C63s
Hey guys wanted to an update if anybody cared lol. A third party claim company for Costco contacted me today requesting the photos and an estimate from a wheel repair shop. Luckily there was one away from me that’s a 2 minute walk lmao. Brought my car there had them check it out and write me an estimate of $150 to repair and powder coat the wheels. I sent them a photo of the estimate and not even 15 minutes later the gentlemen from the claim company had told me that Costco had indeed damaged the wheels and would send me a check for $150. So I’m really happy that I actually stood up and told them about the situation and not just let it pass on.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 241 Posts
2016 S550, 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid
Very good to hear ... let's hope the feedback goes back to the manager and tech at Costco so they take better care of the next customer!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
yes **** happens, but as long as they man up, it's all good.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
2008 C-230 4Matic Sport
Make them pay.

Fountain Tire up here in Canada, messed up 3 of my wheels. I even supplied a soft socket (nylon covered wheel lug socket) to avoid wheel rash.

The morons did not use it and used one of their old, rusty metal ones. The morons also removed the old weights with an angle grinder!

They were dicks so I put in a BBB claim, a visa chargeback and got all my cash refunded plus they paid for refinishing 3 wheels.

You have to babysit everyone these days.