Possible overfill of oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 199 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Possible overfill of oil

According to the manual for my 2020 GTC, there's a drop down on the dash that allows you to check the oil without popping the hood. Seems that was untrue. After searxhing under the hood for the fourth time, I finally find the 'hidden' dipstick. I checked it and it showed nothing on the stick. Soooo, I started to slowly add oil. It took a whole quart to show anything. Then, I find out NOPE! Gotta get the temp up to 200 degrees, idle the car for a few minutes, turn off, wait 3 minutes and THEN check. Something about the oil thermostat needing to open.

Now, I have an overfill idiot light on the dash. I've not driven the car to get it up to temp with all this torrential rain we're having in Houston now. Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2024, 07:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTR
Just drain some out from the sump tank. Easily done with the right tools.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Green_Hell
Just drain some out from the sump tank. Easily done with the right tools.
Where’s the sump tank? And what tools? I’ve done this once on my Macan. I was able to access the oil filter and swap it out. That’s one quart. It works. But the new GTC? No idea. But I’m a fast study.
Old 07-25-2024, 08:15 PM

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by ///Bruce
Where’s the sump tank? And what tools? I’ve done this once on my Macan. I was able to access the oil filter and swap it out. That’s one quart. It works. But the new GTC? No idea. But I’m a fast study.

Use large syringe or anything that can suck the extra oil from the tank via the larger round fill opening next to the dipstick. You will have to attach a tube to the syringe because the oil is deep inside the reservoir.

Last edited by G. P; 07-25-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
My car was overfilled by a couple of quarts when I bought it. The Chevy dealer had tried to change the oil and didn't know how. I'm a boater, just used my boat fluid transfer pump.

Last edited by Eyeman89; 07-25-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 772 Posts
G550
Can you post a pic of where the hidden dipstick is located?
Old 07-26-2024, 09:03 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by streborx
Can you post a pic of where the hidden dipstick is located?
No "hidden" dipstick. You can extract oil from the dipstick tube or from the oil fill located next to the dipstick, both under the bonnet on the driver's side. Look at the pictures above.
In terms of the tools to extract, here is a picture of a cheap amazon one.

Old 07-26-2024, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Green_Hell
No "hidden" dipstick. You can extract oil from the dipstick tube or from the oil fill located next to the dipstick, both under the bonnet on the driver's side. Look at the pictures above.
In terms of the tools to extract, here is a picture of a cheap amazon one.
My understanding is that the GTC has the M178 engine, the high-end 4L V8 TT in the Mercedes M176/M177/M178 engine group. My G550 has the low-end M176, but I've never found a dipstick anywhere, and am wondering if there's a dipstick in the M178, if there's one on the M176 also. My interest is not oil extraction (my oil filter is on the engine block bottom -- need to shimmy underneath to change the filter -- might as well pull the drain plug while I'm there), but oil level check. My OM states that the M176 oil capacity is 10 qts (9.5 L), but an oil change with filter needs only 9.5 qts. (9 L) or else I get an overfill instrument panel warning. Just wondering if there's an old fashioned way of checking the oil level. I know the M178 is a dry sump oil delivery, so maybe there's a dipstick only on this version.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:14 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
My understanding is that the GTC has the M178 engine, the high-end 4L V8 TT in the Mercedes M176/M177/M178 engine group. My G550 has the low-end M176, but I've never found a dipstick anywhere, and am wondering if there's a dipstick in the M178, if there's one on the M176 also. My interest is not oil extraction (my oil filter is on the engine block bottom -- need to shimmy underneath to change the filter -- might as well pull the drain plug while I'm there), but oil level check. My OM states that the M176 oil capacity is 10 qts (9.5 L), but an oil change with filter needs only 9.5 qts. (9 L) or else I get an overfill instrument panel warning. Just wondering if there's an old fashioned way of checking the oil level. I know the M178 is a dry sump oil delivery, so maybe there's a dipstick only on this version.
Yes thr GTC has an old fashioned dipstick.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:16 AM

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 AMG GTC Solar Beam Yellow
According to the manual for my 2020 GTC, there's a drop down on the dash that allows you to check the oil without popping the hood. Seems that was untrue. After searxhing under the hood for the fourth time, I finally find the 'hidden' dipstick. I checked it and it showed nothing on the stick. Soooo, I started to slowly add oil. It took a whole quart to show anything. Then, I find out NOPE! Gotta get the temp up to 200 degrees, idle the car for a few minutes, turn off, wait 3 minutes and THEN check. Something about the oil thermostat needing to open.

Now, I have an overfill idiot light on the dash. I've not driven the car to get it up to temp with all this torrential rain we're having in Houston now. Any ideas?
OK Bruce...did you steal the car away from your wife? 😁
Old 07-26-2024, 11:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by GTConn
Yes thr GTC has an old fashioned dipstick.
I like old fashioned stuff : ) It just works better and more accurate.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:45 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I like old fashioned stuff : ) It just works better and more accurate.
Old fashioned dip stick but new age measurement timing. Make sure you follow the process, idle time and measurement time to be accurate.
Old 07-26-2024, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
The M177 and M178 are handbuilt AMG engines based on the M176. The M178 is the M177 with a dry sump instead of a wet sump. The M176 is an assembly line built Mercedes engine. Whether it has a dipstick depends on the model. The M177 in my C63S has a dipstick. It came in handy during my European Delivery trip when the oil sensor was malfunctioning and incorrectly told me to add oil. The dipstick is on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine. It's red if it's there. The M177 in the E63S on the other hand doesn't have a physical dipstick. It has an electronic dipstick instead, accessible through COMAND/MBUX. Generally the engine either has the physical dipstick or the electronic dipstick, but not both at the same time. Non-AMG models generally don't have physical dipsticks. The G may be an exception since it's an offroad vehicle and more rugged than the regular Mercedes commuter cars.

Old 07-26-2024, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by superswiss
The M177 and M178 are handbuilt AMG engines based on the M176. The M178 is the M177 with a dry sump instead of a wet sump. The M176 is an assembly line built Mercedes engine. Whether it has a dipstick depends on the model. The M177 in my C63S has a dipstick. It came in handy during my European Delivery trip when the oil sensor was malfunctioning and incorrectly told me to add oil. The dipstick is on the passenger side towards the rear of the engine. It's red if it's there. The M177 in the E63S on the other hand doesn't have a physical dipstick. It has an electronic dipstick instead, accessible through COMAND/MBUX. Generally the engine either has the physical dipstick or the electronic dipstick, but not both at the same time. Non-AMG models generally don't have physical dipsticks. The G may be an exception since it's an offroad vehicle and more rugged than the regular Mercedes commuter cars.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I've never found anything resembling this red knob in this location. I suspect the M176 is lacking the dipstick and tube, and is plugged. Possibly capable of being retrofitted -- I might pursue knowing at least where it could be.
The following users liked this post:
superswiss (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the 2020 GTC it’s on the left side almost hidden behind the filler. The warning has not reappeared since. I did buy an extractor for the next time this happens. Thanks all.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I checked my M176 again this morning, and there's nothing resembling a dipstick in this area of the engine compartment. Next time I do an oil change, I'll inspect that area of the lower engine block to see if there's a plug where a dipstick tube would fit. Can anyone tell me about the dipstick itself? Is it the old fashioned flat metal type (that always works) or is it the goofy new round plastic tip that's impossible to see oil?
Old 07-27-2024, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked my M176 again this morning, and there's nothing resembling a dipstick in this area of the engine compartment. Next time I do an oil change, I'll inspect that area of the lower engine block to see if there's a plug where a dipstick tube would fit. Can anyone tell me about the dipstick itself? Is it the old fashioned flat metal type (that always works) or is it the goofy new round plastic tip that's impossible to see oil?
Seems there was a 'previous' and 'current' way to check oil level. On a youtube video it showed a drop down menu on the dash. It's not there on my 2020. So, for the 3rd or 4th time under the hood I finally found it almost hidden. I'll post a pic later today to show you.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I've never had a problem accessing the electronic dash display for the oil level, but I simply dislike having to drive my car 20 minutes after changing the oil to confirm the fill level. I can't imagine this is how MB service department techs operate, and with them dispensing oil from bulk containers, there seems to be an always present chance of incorrect fill. My X7 has electronic oil measurement on the instrument panel, but it also has a well-concealed (and undocumented) dipstick. But it's impossible to read its red plastic tip. The dipstick itself is a flexible round cable. I attempted to insert a skinny flat dipstick, but the shape of the tube prevented it from entering more than about 4". I wonder about the engineers who are always redesigning stuff that works so that it doesn't.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've never had a problem accessing the electronic dash display for the oil level, but I simply dislike having to drive my car 20 minutes after changing the oil to confirm the fill level. I can't imagine this is how MB service department techs operate, and with them dispensing oil from bulk containers, there seems to be an always present chance of incorrect fill. My X7 has electronic oil measurement on the instrument panel, but it also has a well-concealed (and undocumented) dipstick. But it's impossible to read its red plastic tip. The dipstick itself is a flexible round cable. I attempted to insert a skinny flat dipstick, but the shape of the tube prevented it from entering more than about 4". I wonder about the engineers who are always redesigning stuff that works so that it doesn't.
I have the same issue with my Macan. No dipstick. Gotta drive it then nickel and dime the level over a weeks time get it to where I want it then monitor it until the next oil change.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here’s where the dipstick is located on my 2020:

Old 07-27-2024, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
That's one thing I really liked about using a mityvac and suction, it's stoopid easy to measure the exact amount that comes out. That's a good place to start when refilling.
Old 07-27-2024, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
I have the same issue with my Macan. No dipstick. Gotta drive it then nickel and dime the level over a weeks time get it to where I want it then monitor it until the next oil change.
I had the electronic dipstick in my Audi RS5 prior to my AMG. That V8 engine like my previous Audi like almost all Audis was an oil burner. It went through 1 qt about every 3-4k miles and having the electronic gauge was convenient to keep an eye on the level. Audi considers it normal if an engine burns up to 1qt every 1000 miles. I didn't have issues topping off, though. I saw my indy how to do it. Had to turn on the ignition, then bring up the gauge display and then filled 1/2 qt, waited about 30 seconds for the display to catch up, then proceeded with a 1/4 qt, 1/8 qt and so on, until it showed the level at max. No need to drive around and monitor the level over the next two weeks. It was kinda nice not having to mess with a finicky dipstick, wiping it and getting my hands all dirty, given that I had to do it regularly. The M177/178 are not known to burn oil, so if you find you have to top off, then something is going on with the engine. This is my first performance car in over 10 years that doesn't constantly need to be topped off. I no longer need to stock quarts of oil in my garage.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (07-27-2024)