C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 C300 NO START

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
It sounds like a vacuum under the hood if you have the issue you'll definitely hear it. You can actually save the pump by taking it apart and blowing the carbon dust out(there's a guy on YouTube who did it) But if you don't check the valves it's just going to happen again. The carbon build up and the dumb paper seal they use is bound to fail. It's 400$ for each valve. I took the lower one apart, cleaned and used gasket maker to re build it. It's been holding up ever since. Pumps you can buy on rock auto for 250$ I think there's even a cheaper place. It's so easy to diy. The dealer ship wants like $800 for the pump and $400 each valve plus labour it's expensive but if you diy it's cheap.

I have a detailed thread posted somewhere with pictures. I'll link it when I'm on my computer.
The following users liked this post:
xsever (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xsever
​​​​​​Knock on wood indeed. can you tell us more about the secondary air pump problem and what you found?
Here are some pictures look at the carbon build up and even some condensation gets and and messes up the pump.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 C300 NO START-photo168.jpg   2012 C300 NO START-photo324.jpg   2012 C300 NO START-photo717.jpg   2012 C300 NO START-photo408.jpg  
xsever (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by MB Marko
It sounds like a vacuum under the hood if you have the issue you'll definitely hear it. You can actually save the pump by taking it apart and blowing the carbon dust out(there's a guy on YouTube who did it) But if you don't check the valves it's just going to happen again. The carbon build up and the dumb paper seal they use is bound to fail. It's 400$ for each valve. I took the lower one apart, cleaned and used gasket maker to re build it. It's been holding up ever since. Pumps you can buy on rock auto for 250$ I think there's even a cheaper place. It's so easy to diy. The dealer ship wants like $800 for the pump and $400 each valve plus labour it's expensive but if you diy it's cheap.
We call them the stealership for a reason. Thank you for the detailed write-up and pictures. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
So it turns out it was the STARTER...I check it but when I pulled it out and tested it on bench the Solenoid was good but the stater motor bad..
So I did the ESL motor for notting but at least it was only 20 bucks and I don't have to worry about it now...

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C-250 Sedan 2012
Yes they DO fail. My 2012 C250 W204 won't start, steering locked, transmission locked in Park; doors open recognizing the key, radio works, lights work, seat mnotors work, horn does not work, dash gauges do not work, but message to take key with you does work. Turn key and NOTHING happens. Battery ok (a few months old, authentic expensive MB battery). Had to tow it home and will have to tow it to my indy mechanic on Monday. The car just came out of the shop two weeks ago for a brand new high pressure fuel pump. I have never had a car that was so fragile and unreliable. This car is beautiful and fast, but it lives at the mechanic's more than it lives at home. My file on repair and maintenace bills is already almost two inches thick. It is paid for, and I can't wait to get rid of it. Strongly doubt I will ever get an MB again.I have had several BMWs, even British and Italian sports cars with LESS problems than this car !
Old 08-03-2019, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Medsyspro
Yes they DO fail. My 2012 C250 W204 won't start, steering locked, transmission locked in Park; doors open recognizing the key, radio works, lights work, seat mnotors work, horn does not work, dash gauges do not work, but message to take key with you does work. Turn key and NOTHING happens. Battery ok (a few months old, authentic expensive MB battery). Had to tow it home and will have to tow it to my indy mechanic on Monday. The car just came out of the shop two weeks ago for a brand new high pressure fuel pump. I have never had a car that was so fragile and unreliable. This car is beautiful and fast, but it lives at the mechanic's more than it lives at home. My file on repair and maintenace bills is already almost two inches thick. It is paid for, and I can't wait to get rid of it. Strongly doubt I will ever get an MB again.I have had several BMWs, even British and Italian sports cars with LESS problems than this car !
Lmao if you think a British car is more reliable good luck to you sir. BMW's love to leak oil if your oaky with topping up oil once a month then go for that.

Get a Lexus if you want rock solid reliability, my C300 has been super reliable. Just know almost every car that has less than a v6 your asking for more issues.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C-250 Sedan 2012
Lmao if you think a British car is more reliable good luck to you sir. BMW's love to leak oil if your oaky with topping up oil once a month then go for that.

Get a Lexus if you want rock solid reliability, my C300 has been super reliable. Just know almost every car that has less than a v6 your asking for more issues.
Interesting comment on the 6 cyl vs less than 6. Although I don't want to get out of topic on this forum, why would you say that is the case? Interested to hear your point. Thank you.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting comment on the 6 cyl vs less than 6. Although I don't want to get out of topic on this forum, why would you say that is the case? Interested to hear your point. Thank you.
You just see the most threads on any forum Bmw, Mercedes, Chevorlet those are ones I follow constantly. Majority of the people with issues have the smaller engines. There's always something going on, I personally i could write a whole novel on why I think their not the best choice.

I think the strain on parts, the design and they way people drive are all factors. It's like pushing things to the limit things break and yes it's easier to push a small engine to its limits, and people do it more often than not.

Why do people get C250's? Majority people say cost of going up to a 300 or 350 and another factor would be gas mileage even though it's not to far off. I would bet those 2 points would end up on 99% of people's top 5 list.

Like my 2.9L Chevy truck I've thrown 10 times more money into than my mercedes and I've had the Mercedes for 4-5 years the truck I've had for 6 months lol. It just feels like I strain every part on the engine when I hammer down the gas or even drive it civility, but on the Mercedes it's hard to push the c300 and c350 to their limits on the day to day driving aspect.

I hate to bash the c250 I just know a lot of people who moved on very quickly from it due to the repairs. If you DIY any w204 is a gem to own. If you have to pay people to fix them your going to burn a big hole in your pocket with the c250.

Search through 10-15 pages and you'll see more issues with them than any other car.

I don't blame you from wanting to move on but I would advise anyone to stay away from any thing under a v6 or similar type engine. Do a lot of research and join forums, read up on common issues.
Moto_Guzzi (08-08-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
The M271 engine found in the 250 is prone to the following failures: stretched timing chain, failure of high-pressure fuel pump, and problems with the turbo. None of these problems exists for the M272 engine which is found in the C300 from 2008 to 2012. In 2013, the C300 became equipped with the newly-introduced M276 direct-injection engine which had its own fair share of problems.

As a rule of thumb, I always stay away from first-year and second-year engines and transmissions as this is when the teething problems appear and get fixed. Hence why I got a 2012 C300 4MATIC Sport which is equipped with the last version of the M272 engine and the trusted-by-then 7G+ transmission.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic, 2007 GL450, 2008 C300, 2018 GLE63 AMG

Key Failed!!!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Engineering trends

You just see the most threads on any forum Bmw, Mercedes, Chevorlet those are ones I follow constantly. Majority of the people with issues have the smaller engines. There's always something going on, I personally i could write a whole novel on why I think their not the best choice.

I think the strain on parts, the design and they way people drive are all factors. It's like pushing things to the limit things break and yes it's easier to push a small engine to its limits, and people do it more often than not.

Why do people get C250's? Majority people say cost of going up to a 300 or 350 and another factor would be gas mileage even though it's not to far off. I would bet those 2 points would end up on 99% of people's top 5 list.

Like my 2.9L Chevy truck I've thrown 10 times more money into than my mercedes and I've had the Mercedes for 4-5 years the truck I've had for 6 months lol. It just feels like I strain every part on the engine when I hammer down the gas or even drive it civility, but on the Mercedes it's hard to push the c300 and c350 to their limits on the day to day driving aspect.

I hate to bash the c250 I just know a lot of people who moved on very quickly from it due to the repairs. If you DIY any w204 is a gem to own. If you have to pay people to fix them your going to burn a big hole in your pocket with the c250.

Search through 10-15 pages and you'll see more issues with them than any other car.

I don't blame you from wanting to move on but I would advise anyone to stay away from any thing under a v6 or similar type engine. Do a lot of research and join forums, read up on common issues.
Enginering/Bussiness Trends: Tapping the most power out of smaller and smaller engines, of course theres a trade off=Reliability in the long run. If you buy a new car and keep it for 3 years, then repeat the cycle , not much matter to you, but the next guy buying 2nd hand will see headaches.The 2nd hand trading will facing huge problems in future, I for instance will never ever buy a modern 2nd hand vehicle, even if you fix it yourself, you still dealing with the aftermath of the same engineering trend.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 87 Likes on 84 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I don't know that I would agree with that. I would think if a four cylinder engine is properly engineered and good quality materials and manufacturing processes are used why couldn't a 4 cylinder engine be just as reliable and long lived as a V6 or V8 or anything else as long as it is properly maintained?