C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Suddenly key won't unlock steering wheel and won't turn on car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E200 (2013)
Suddenly key won't unlock steering wheel and won't turn on car

Hello guys,
I own a Benz C200CDI 2007.
Yesterday I parked car and when I returned I faced a problem with my car.
Car didn't turn on. After I inserted the key in I didn't hear the sound of steering wheel unlocked but instead I heard an low signal "tick tock" a few times and the screen of steering wheel won't change, the radio won't turn on and even if I try to start the car it won't give any other sound.
I tried over 15 times and still nothing, I couldn't hear the steering wheel unlocking sound after inserting the key in, all I could hear was the tick tock tick tock low sound coming from the back of steering wheel.
I saw a few videos on YouTube how this will helped me and I did :
  1. I went to fuse panel on the back of car and pushed all fuses (maybe any was loose)
  2. I did something like key reset, I long pressed lock and unlock keys for like 30 seconds.
I tried again to start car and it worked. I tried several times and still was working.
I took it to a car service and they couldn't read any fault code.
All they gave me were theories and guesses what may have happened but I can't just change a part just because they guess it.

Anyone here ever had same problem? How did you managed to resolve it?
Let me know please,
Best Regards
Old 04-15-2019, 04:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 78 Posts
W204 C220CDI 2011
Search is your friend :
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...n-t-start.html
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Welcome to mercedes Sudden-Death problem, but you manage to get it alive again, I assume you riding a living dead merc, so if that is so it might march on forevever.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:42 AM

@Moto_Guzzi It happened again, Crazy thing. You called it right "Sudden-Death".
This time I had more time to observe it.
When I hit the unlock button on my key, all lights of my W204 Benz will turn on (Including speed dashboard, fuel dashboard, temperature etc.)
As soon as I open the door everything will shut down except speed dashboard light (fuel dashboard, temperature etc everything off).
I can notice that even if I am inside, hit unlock key to open the car, all lights will turn on, after I insert the key everything will be same like I mentioned earlier.
After I inserted the key in I didn't hear the sound of steering wheel unlocked but instead I heard an low signal "tick tock" a few times and the screen of steering wheel won't change, the radio won't turn on and even if I try to start the car it won't give any other sound.
I tried after 3 hours, it got back alive, no error messages on dashboard, nothing.
I went to an car repair shop and they couldn't find a fault code, all they said was "We should test if is this or if is that", but I can't just change all parts until I find the right one, it will cost me a new car.
I will go to an authorized MB Repair shop today.
On symptoms, anyone can tell for sure where stands the problem?
Old 04-30-2019, 06:06 AM

Sudden death:
When myne did this the most obvious symptom- sound was the "whirr-sound" when you insert the key was missing, I did notice that after the steering lock was replaced this "whirr-sound" was faster than I was used to. The lock is the cheaper part here.

((Battery fail:You saying you did not hear the unlock whirr-sound, so maybe not this scenario....
The "Tick-Tock" sound, does it come from the engine bay area where the relays are-? I had this with a 8 year old failed battery symptom. The voltage was still 12V(rest period no attempt to start, and 11V when attemp was made),relay preventing the starter from engaging draining collapsing the battery totally and than you may have more problems.
This is just my rough experience here, dont know the exact flowchart details. I was advised to buy a quality more expensive battery for my car, not a generalised cheaper battery type (up to a 1/3rd of the prise)).

Would be interesting to know what your problem turned out to be.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 04-30-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 AM

@Moto_Guzzi It looked like the car wouldn't recognize the key at all. Something with electric failure.
Also, I connected with cables my battery with another car battery (Without disconnecting cables of my battery). I tried to start it and I got no result. I left cables connected for 1 minute only actually.

Sometimes, I was able hear the low-dead sound of steering wheel unlock sound but that wouldn't be enough to unlock the car.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM

I have heard if you wiggle the steering wheel, it may work, but not sure if this may break the camels back finally if its the steering lock, but probably a last resort try if stuck at a difficult location. I never had any previous or other car I own do this type of a thing to me, and this W204 model was claimed to be tested for 25million miles.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:11 AM

2005 c240
Key wont turn

I installed a used steering column into 05 c240 now key won't turn and steering wheel is locked