C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Joyauto Apple CarPlay Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
none
Joyauto Apple CarPlay Retrofit

I wanted to see if anyone here installed Joyeauto’s version of Apple carplay in their 2011-2014 W204 (NTG 4.5 - 4.7).

If so, what is your feedback using CarPlay over wired or wireless (WiFi) and also how is the audio quality for music and phone conversations?

I know there is an old post in the W212 forum, but I wanted feedback specific to W204s.

Product:

https://www.joyeauto.com/mercedes-be...play-solution/

Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM

none
I just wanted to give an update.
I ended up purchasing this carplay module and it is working out really great. Wireless Apple CarPlay is working great. It also supports android mirror and android auto if you use a dongle.

Last edited by inittab; 09-13-2019 at 01:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by inittab:
ceevee (11-04-2019), Surge (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
C350
I have the Kremersino version. They're all super similar. Its pretty slick. Initially I had it configured to use the AUX port in the glovebox and that sounded meh. Then I got into the command menus and setup the aux directly from the box and you couldn't tell it isn't factory input. Only real downside is the system needs to be on AUX to work. If you goto radio or something you need to switch video back to the original UI to change it back since there isn't a direct access aux button.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM

none
Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
I have the Kremersino version. They're all super similar. Its pretty slick. Initially I had it configured to use the AUX port in the glovebox and that sounded meh. Then I got into the command menus and setup the aux directly from the box and you couldn't tell it isn't factory input. Only real downside is the system needs to be on AUX to work. If you goto radio or something you need to switch video back to the original UI to change it back since there isn't a direct access aux button.
I had Best Buy install my unit for $60. They put the USB in the glove box so I could use wired CarPlay or do a firmware update if I needed to. Thus far, I’ve been using wireless CarPlay without any issues. I set the HU to use the AUX port and have left it in that configuration.

I had to enable audio boost in the module settings on the Joyeauto and reduce the software volume to 30% from the max which was 40% so heavy base didn’t distort.

The audio quality is as good as factory Bluetooth and I also do not have any issues with the mic or Siri.

This is the exact unit I bought:
Joyeauto WIFI Wireless Apple Carplay Car Play For Mercedes A B C E G GL ML Class NTG4.5 4.7 W204 Android/iOS Mirroring/Auto

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Ni1SZMbm

Last edited by inittab; 09-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Surge (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C250 Coupe
how much is it? there aint no price!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:14 PM

none
Originally Posted by ChazThePhoenix
how much is it? there aint no price!
On AliExpress:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/lbsZe5sk

Sellers website:
https://www.joyeauto.com/mercedes-be...play-solution/

I got my package via DHL just a few days after ordering.

If you have questions, you can reach Kevin @ Joyeauto at +86 15822077416 or send him a message on WhatsApp with that same number. He’s is very responsive and technical.

Remember they are on China Standard Time, so night time is their day time if you are in the US.

Last edited by inittab; 09-13-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Surge (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 PM

C350
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...1bb94c4dEgMwUn

For the one I have. A little cheaper than the joyauto one. No appreciable differences from all the research I did.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:25 AM

none
Are you able to power on your MB HU even with the key out of the ignition?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM

C350
Originally Posted by inittab
Are you able to power on your MB HU even with the key out of the ignition?
I run it without the car on, but key out is a little nebulous for me. I have keyless go.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:54 AM

none
I run it without the car on, but key out is a little nebulous for me. I have keyless go.
Can you try it and let me know? It seems very odd.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 AM

C350
Can you try it and let me know? It seems very odd.
I'm not sure what you want me to test. what is odd?
Key out, ignition set to off
  1. Try to power HU
    1. Does the HU turn on
    2. Does carplay turn on
Mine behaves exactly as it did before power-wise, but like I said- keyless go.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM

none
I'm not sure what you want me to test. what is odd?
Key out, ignition set to off
  1. Try to power HU
    1. Does the HU turn on
    2. Does carplay turn on
Mine behaves exactly as it did before power-wise, but like I said- keyless go.
So to be clear, 1 and 2 are both “yes” for you?
I am starting to think that this may have been the default behavior with my car before the install.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class 220D Business 2012
Smile

I just wanted to give an update.
I ended up purchasing this carplay module and it is working out really great. Wireless Apple CarPlay is working great. It also supports android mirror and android auto if you use a dongle.
This is great, I have the same exact model and was wondering about feasibility of this kind of thing.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:
1. While I have iOS, my wife's phone is Android - what kind of "dongle" is required to use her phone with the same system?
2. Does the package arrive with any kind of instructions? I'm trying to see how easy this is to install. I understand you let someone else do this for you - was there a specific reason other than "didn't want to be bothered with it"?
3. Honest question: isn't the built-in screen of a much lower resolution than our own phone's? I mean, just having a phone mount with the phone in is clearly much cheaper - what do you see as an advantage now that you've been using this for a month?
4. What is the microphone for? Can't we use the car's system for incoming calls?
5. Are there any inconveniences that you've seen in the month since you've had it?

Thanks in advance for any info, it's much appreciated!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:24 AM

none
For updates jump over to this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7876104
Old 10-16-2019, 10:09 AM

C350
Originally Posted by ddotlic
This is great, I have the same exact model and was wondering about feasibility of this kind of thing.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions:
1. While I have iOS, my wife's phone is Android - what kind of "dongle" is required to use her phone with the same system?
2. Does the package arrive with any kind of instructions? I'm trying to see how easy this is to install. I understand you let someone else do this for you - was there a specific reason other than "didn't want to be bothered with it"?
3. Honest question: isn't the built-in screen of a much lower resolution than our own phone's? I mean, just having a phone mount with the phone in is clearly much cheaper - what do you see as an advantage now that you've been using this for a month?
4. What is the microphone for? Can't we use the car's system for incoming calls?
5. Are there any inconveniences that you've seen in the month since you've had it?

Thanks in advance for any info, it's much appreciated!
I have a kremosino one, but they're extremely similar
1) USB cable.
2) I got a word doc emailed to me. If you want a look, PM me your email.
3) Yes it is lower, but the since it it so much further from your face the resolution looks fine. Its not noticably pixelated. Advantages- bigger screen. I don't have to drag my phone out of my pocket anymore. The interaction model is allows physical controls and is somewhat simpler, to help keep your eyes on the road. In Waze you don't get ads for example. However I mostly got it since I'm legally obligated to. You can't even touch your phone while driving, not even to check the route on your GPS. Carplay is legal.
4) Siri. You can still use the car for calls, or you can route it all through the new box if you want.
5) once in awhile the carplay crashes and restarts while you are using it. Not enough to be worrisome, but enough to know its not a OEM product. Biggest issue is you need to be on AUX to hear audio. there is no direct access button for it so if you want to listen to the radio you need to switch back to the old UI to hear carplay and you won't get nav instructions,etc while you're listening to the radio. The box doesn't control the audio source, the HU does.
ddotlic (10-16-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 08:58 AM

C63 AMG W204
Timely post as I was considering investing in one of these a few months back, but another member of the online C63 owners group put me off as he said the GPS on his similar unit was atrocious and he frequently missed turnings when using Waze for example because it couldn't keep up with the location.
What experience have you guys had using it with the nav apps on your phones?
Old 07-11-2020, 03:33 AM

W204 2012
They use your phones Gps so as long as your phone has good gps they work fine. I have to take mine out of my pocket and it work fine.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:29 PM

C350
Yah. Occasionally if I have my phone in a weird place it'll give not so good location. If you're a person who uses the rear pocket you'll probably have a bad time. The pocket on the side of the door sometimes has issues, but it probably has a lot to do with how you mount the unit itself. Mine is on the passenger side by the cabin filter, so opposite side of the stack. I think you can get in in behind the LCD if you dismount that and it might have better signal overall.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:18 PM
wsc

BMW E46
Anyone have videos on running the box into the globe box?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:40 PM

C300 2014
Audio issue

Hello ,
I ended getting this for my c300 2015 model.
evsrything works fine except there is no audio
i am able to connect fine using car play / android auto but there is no audio what so ever.
please let me know if i have to enable something.