C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to retrofit " Memory Seat function " ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
How to retrofit " Memory Seat function " ?

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about swapping my driver side 2 way power seat to a memory seat for a while.
So I picked up a driver side memory seat plus the door panel with memory switch and the blue wire for a decent price today. I did not grab the wires from under the driver seat carpet as they were already been cut off from the connectors. There is a black control box under the memory seat and one of the connector is different from my original connector from under the driver seat carpet.

The first picture is the memory seat and the second picture is my original 2 way power seat, as you can see # 3 connectors are different but #1 and #2 connectors should be plug n play.

Memory seat

Non-memory power seat

The connector which plugs into the Non-Memory seat switch is 12 pins whereas the #3 connector from Memory seat is 14 pins.

Anyone had tried to retrofit the memory seat and actually figure out how to make it work?

Last edited by snap; 04-14-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
There are two output connector #3 and #4 form the back of the control box for the memory seat whereas there is only one output connector # for the 2way power seat.
Other than that, the two motors and its plugged wires from these two seats are identical.

Memory seat

2way power seat

Anyone knows what I missed or how to make the memory function to work?

Old 04-11-2020, 10:44 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
As we discussed in our private messages, I decided not to attempt to use the memory seat function when I swapped some C63 AMG seats into my W203 C230. C63 seats in a W203

Here's what I can tell you based on my experience:
1. The yellow connector is for the air bags. It looks like this will be "plug and play" for you.
2. The long black connector with two wires is for the seat heaters - again this should be "plug and play."

Now for the hard part - the memory control. Here I am just providing some suggestions based on very limited experience tampering with my seats, but I did not attempt to make the memory function of my C63 seats work. There were just too many differences between the W204 and W203 and I would have been required to buy two door panels with memory controls before I could even begin to figure it out.

First, the memory seats have more seat motors than the non-memory "two-way power" seats. The two way seats have two motors - One to tilt the seat back and one to tilt the front of the seat bottom cushion. On the memory seats in the C63 I had three motors. The additional motor moved the entire seat fore and aft.

In post 8 of my C63 seat thread, I discuss the large wiring harnesses in the C63 seat. Note that there are 12 pins assigned in the large white connector (connector #3 in your fourth photo) and two are empty. In the two-way power seats, two wires connect to each motor. On the C63 seats (and I think the same is true for your memory seats) four wires go to each motor. That explains the twelve wires (3 motors X 4 wires each.) The reason there are four wires connected to each motor is that one circuit with two wires is for the manual input from the door controls and the second circuit with two wires is for input from the memory. Fortunately, you don't need to do anything with this.

By the process of elimination, I conclude that the black 6-pin connector (connector #4 in your fourth photo) may be for inputs from the seat controls on the door. Check to see where the wires from the black connector go. If they connect to the front of the seat (connector #2 in your first photo) that strongly suggests that they accept the input from your door controller.

Please post what you find out.
The following users liked this post:
DjaKRAbb (12-10-2020)