C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2008 C300 brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic
2008 C300 brakes

Hello all who wonder upon my first thread and thank you for reading. I purchased my 2008 C300 about 18 months ago used and honestly have love it from the moment i turned the key the first time. Recently I have noticed pulsing during braking and had a few dash errors go off specifically the brake warning. Ive known for sometime now that major work would need to be done and so im beginning to organize a parts listing for my car.

Hoping one or more of my feelow forum members can point me in the direction of full brake kits and brake lines as I plan to do them myself in the very near future. Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,042 Likes on 965 Posts
1999 E300TD
Get off the couch and Go here for parts definition
Mercedes-Benz Electronic Spare Parts Catalogue Online
Old 06-25-2020, 09:48 PM

2012 C300
Brake kits

Go check fcp euro, they don't have all the parts but the quality and price of their products are really sweet.

Btw I don't suggest anyone diy a major maintenance on brake system include change the brake lines. (ignore me if ur a pro)😂 and do upload some pictures after you done the job! Good luck
Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
I don't have any parts lists but I will tell you I just did a brake line replacement and figured out you will need special flares for Mercedes lines. The flare tools you get at autozone and such will not work for Mercedes.

I was able to find flare adapters that worked fine. I believe it was called a "bubble flare" instead of the US standard "double flare".
Old 07-23-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by indyuberdriver
I don't have any parts lists but I will tell you I just did a brake line replacement and figured out you will need special flares for Mercedes lines. The flare tools you get at autozone and such will not work for Mercedes.

I was able to find flare adapters that worked fine. I believe it was called a "bubble flare" instead of the US standard "double flare".
I’m pretty sure the poster is talking about the rubber brake lines at each wheel, which do not require any special tools
Old 09-14-2020, 05:06 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic

Hi did you replace the whole brake line ? I have 2009 c300 4matic and the right rear line is rusted and leaking right about the control arm. can someone direct me where I could get the whole kit without going to the dealership ?
Old 09-14-2020, 05:29 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by nismosr
Hi did you replace the whole brake line ? I have 2009 c300 4matic and the right rear line is rusted and leaking right about the control arm. can someone direct me where I could get the whole kit without going to the dealership ?
I did replace the entire brake line. There were corroded spots through the entire line, even though it was only leaking at one point. It was a matter of time so I just replaced the whole thing. It was the first time I've messed with brake lines and there was a slight learning curve, but if you're mechanically inclined it's not a terribly difficult job.

There isn't really a "kit" for it. I even called the dealer and they would only sell me overpriced 3/16 brake line I could get from autozone anyway.

I found the brake line at Advance Auto was marginally less expensive than autozone, if you have those locally. I bought a brake flaring tool but the flare tool only creates the US standard "double flare" rather than the European standard "bubble flare" so in addition to the flare tool, I also had to buy adapters from NAPA. Essentially the adapter is just a small length of brake line with a double flare on one side (to mate up to the flares you make with the flare tool) and a bubble flare on the other side (to make up with the Mercedes brakes).

It uses 3/16 brake line and I recommend using nickel copper brake line (while it's a bit more expensive) because it won't rust and corrode like the old line and you won't be right back here doing this again.

The whole job replacing both rear brake lines, adapters, all the tools necessary cost me about $200 doing it myself.

You could maybe get away with simply replacing a shorter length of brake line if the rest of your line looks good, but of course the rest of the line may eventually rust. If you do just replace a partial line, you can get away with just some 3/16 brake line, union's, flare tool. In either case I do NOT recommend using conpression fittings. A regular brake line union is cheap and easy to use.

​​​​​If I remember correctly, for the whole job replacing two lines I used:

(2) 25ft rolls 3/16 nickel copper brake line
(4) bubble flare adapters
(4) brake line threaded tips to attach to the adapter
(1) brake line flare tool
(1) brake line cutter

A quick search on Amazon found nickel copper line with the threaded tips for a pretty good price (half what I paid).
The following users liked this post:
WOT48 (04-07-2021)
Old 09-14-2020, 06:13 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic
I did replace the entire brake line. There were corroded spots through the entire line, even though it was only leaking at one point. It was a matter of time so I just replaced the whole thing. It was the first time I've messed with brake lines and there was a slight learning curve, but if you're mechanically inclined it's not a terribly difficult job.

There isn't really a "kit" for it. I even called the dealer and they would only sell me overpriced 3/16 brake line I could get from autozone anyway.

I found the brake line at Advance Auto was marginally less expensive than autozone, if you have those locally. I bought a brake flaring tool but the flare tool only creates the US standard "double flare" rather than the European standard "bubble flare" so in addition to the flare tool, I also had to buy adapters from NAPA. Essentially the adapter is just a small length of brake line with a double flare on one side (to mate up to the flares you make with the flare tool) and a bubble flare on the other side (to make up with the Mercedes brakes).

It uses 3/16 brake line and I recommend using nickel copper brake line (while it's a bit more expensive) because it won't rust and corrode like the old line and you won't be right back here doing this again.

The whole job replacing both rear brake lines, adapters, all the tools necessary cost me about $200 doing it myself.

You could maybe get away with simply replacing a shorter length of brake line if the rest of your line looks good, but of course the rest of the line may eventually rust. If you do just replace a partial line, you can get away with just some 3/16 brake line, union's, flare tool. In either case I do NOT recommend using conpression fittings. A regular brake line union is cheap and easy to use.

​​​​​If I remember correctly, for the whole job replacing two lines I used:

(2) 25ft rolls 3/16 nickel copper brake line
(4) bubble flare adapters
(4) brake line threaded tips to attach to the adapter
(1) brake line flare tool
(1) brake line cutter

A quick search on Amazon found nickel copper line with the threaded tips for a pretty good price (half what I paid).
Indy,

thank you for the quick reply I will have my Brother read this since he’s doing the work, he’s the mechanic. Are all the parts bought from autozone ?
Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by nismosr
Indy,

thank you for the quick reply I will have my Brother read this since he’s doing the work, he’s the mechanic. Are all the parts bought from autozone ?
I ended up getting them from a few different auto stores because I didn't know what all I needed when I started but I found it all locally. Online would be cheaper but obviously sometimes you can't wait for parts.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic Sport
Indy,

Did you reuse the OEM connectors(the threaded connectors to the brake hose) on the new 3/16 lines? if not, what size connectors should I get?
Thanks

Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by WOT48
Indy,

Did you reuse the OEM connectors(the threaded connectors to the brake hose) on the new 3/16 lines? if not, what size connectors should I get?
Thanks
I did not. I found that the brake lines I bought were US standard flares and the Mercedes uses a "bubble flare". So I got new connectors and bubble flare adapters from NAPA auto parts. The bubble flare adapters were like an 8" length of brake line with a double flare on one side (to match up with the brake lines my flare tool made a flare on) and a "bubble flare" on the other side to mate with the Mercedes factory parts.

Otherwise standard 3/16 brake line connectors worked fine. I bought a brake line flare tool for the job.
The following users liked this post:
WOT48 (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic Sport
Thumbs up

I did not. I found that the brake lines I bought were US standard flares and the Mercedes uses a "bubble flare". So I got new connectors and bubble flare adapters from NAPA auto parts. The bubble flare adapters were like an 8" length of brake line with a double flare on one side (to match up with the brake lines my flare tool made a flare on) and a "bubble flare" on the other side to mate with the Mercedes factory parts.

Otherwise standard 3/16 brake line connectors worked fine. I bought a brake line flare tool for the job.
Thanks for the quick reply.