C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

EIS, ESL, or Key faulty? 2013 C250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation EIS, ESL, or Key faulty? 2013 C250

I can put the key in and hear the ESL motor turn. I can turn the key to position 1, 2, and start but the car won’t start. It happens occasionally.

When the car doesn’t start, I notice the display and cluster lights will shut off when turning to position 1, when it does work they will stay on. There are times where the dash lights and display will turn on and the car will start if I leave the key in the start position for a few seconds.

I replaced the motor in the ESL hoping it would fix it but it did not.

The key also doesn't function at times with the buttons not working and the red light not flashing. Does the key still turn in the ignition even if the key is dead? The battery was replaced hoping it would solve the key problem.

What do you guys think? Bad EIS, bad ESL, key, or neither?

SIDE NOTE: I just bought this car for a real cheap price because of this problem and a few others that I have since fixed.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,020 Likes on 948 Posts
1999 E300TD
Spend a couple of more bucks on a good short test. That test will point you to the issue. Your FUYAA wont work!!
Old 10-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Spend a couple of more bucks on a good short test. That test will point you to the issue. Your FUYAA wont work!!
managed to fix the problem without spending any money. Noticed the key only worked sometimes when unlocking door so I assumed the battery had a bad connection. Took the whole thing apart, fixed the connectors, cleaned it up well, and put it all back together.

Key fob works perfectly and the car starts every time now.
The following users liked this post:
indyuberdriver (10-21-2020)
Old 09-10-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C250
I'm have a similar issue but I get no cluster lights when trying to start,nothing happens but do get the message remove key so assuming it's recognizing key fob, can turn radio on so assuming battery alright only a year old, any ideas as to what could be going on?
Old 09-11-2022, 07:25 PM

2010 C 300
This sounds very similar to my issue that I have described in a few other threads. Car will intermittently not recognize the key — sometimes it only takes a second, other times it can take up to 20 minutes. Absolutely infuriating.

@JVMV Can you describe how you cleaned up and fixed the connections in the key? I would love to give that a go.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:37 PM

Mercedes c300 w204
Please help me asap before the holidays!

Originally Posted by RA021223
managed to fix the problem without spending any money. Noticed the key only worked sometimes when unlocking door so I assumed the battery had a bad connection. Took the whole thing apart, fixed the connectors, cleaned it up well, and put it all back together.

Key fob works perfectly and the car starts every time now.
Okay so I am having similar problemproblem stranded 6 hours from home and 3 hours from any known mercedes dealerships or even certified technicians!! My 2008 c300 has had esl replaced already about 6 months ago and has been strong ever since but recently about a month ago when I got in the car to go to the grocery store nothing happened when I inserted my key into the ignition. Usually the steering lock would whir and unlock and my cluster would come on then I would start the car very easily with only barely turning the key to start then releasing it and it would continue to start up the rest of the way on its own. So when I stuck my key in and nothing g happened I turned it on and still nothing......then I proceeded to go all the way and try to crank it holding the key in the start position for about 3 to 5 seconds and then all at once everything happened! The Steering lock unlocked and the gages came on and the car started up no problem and it drove normal and I had no issues out of it for about a week of it starting like that which to me was very strange But I blew it off because I thought maybe it was some kind of software update Or something. Then it got to where I would get in it and try to start it and I would hold it in a start position for 3 to 5 seconds and it wouldn't do anything at all So I would turn the key back off and then try again maybe about 5 to 10 times and finally it would crank again this went on for about a week and it got to wear I could barely get it to start in about 20 to 30 tries and finally on my way to Houston we Stopped at whataburger and i try to crank it again and it will not start at all and nothing on the dash comes on no lights whatsoever when I stick the key in it doesn't do anything! anybody have any information on this please let me know immediately sitting here in the freezing cold With a very limited budget so I need to make sure that I figure out the problem before I try to fix it
Old 12-17-2022, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 331 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD, 2013 C250, 2015 GLK350, 2005 ML350, 2003 E320
The car really needs to be scanned to see where the failure is occurring. I would assume the key battery has been changed just in case. It sounds like the EIS but that’s an expensive and difficult repair to undertake without being sure.

“… sitting here in the freezing cold…” Is the car still in the Whataburger parking lot? I hope not. In what part of Houston is it located? There are about 8 Mercedes dealers in Houston so you’re near one no matter where you are, but I assume you don’t want to go that route. If it’s on the north side, PM me and I’ll give the names of 2 reliable independent shops if you want to try that.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:40 PM

Mercedes c300 w204
It's in huntsville to be exact. I was hoping it was the key does that sound likely?

As fir the eis I actually took it out myself already and inspected it but I already put it back in. I would love to have the info to the people you mentioned as I can't seem to find anybody who wants to fool with it due to holidays being so close. Anyways is there anyway to test the key somewhere to see if it's good or not? I figure if they test the key and it's good then that leaves me with the eis and I can just have it towed at that point. Also if maybe me Taking the eis back off and taking it and the key somewhere would save me ti.e and money that would be awesome I'm very mechanically inclined and I am on a very limited budget
Old 12-18-2022, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 331 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD, 2013 C250, 2015 GLK350, 2005 ML350, 2003 E320
Okay.
I’ve sent you the names of 2 shops to your Private Message inbox on this forum. I have used them both. They won’t know who Odd Piggy is, so just tell them that an MB World member recommended them.
I don’t know how busy either of them are, but give it a try.

The high end scanners can test the key. I don’t know any other way. I suppose either of those shops could do it. Those can scan the whole Drive Authorization System to pinpoint where the failure is. If you have a second key you could try it. If it works, it’s not the key. If it doesn’t, then some other component is at fault. The EIS is expensive and the problem with jumping to it is that that the DAS is a combination of the key, EIS, shift controller, ECU, and ESL.

If all else fails, Mercedes Benz of the Woodlands services my wife’s SUV and I have no complaints.
Good luck.