C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Newbie with ESL trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c300
Newbie with ESL trouble

Howdy All,
I am brand new to this forum and to MB. I would like to thank you in advance for any help. I have been a Jaguar Tech for 15 years, 4 years ago I left the shop and started a fabrication/welding shop and now I own my first MB.
Here's the story, I performed an oil change replaced the rear tail lamp bulb and set the tire pressures I thought I was ready to give the car to my wife for her first drive and ill be damned if the car would not start and the ignition would not turn on. I performed a little research and with the help from this forum I removed the steering column and ESL, I replaced the motor and plugged it in to test it. Worked great I reconnected the battery and the ignition came on. I then went to reinstall the ESL and found I had forgot the small black plastic motor retainer. Pulled it back apart installed the u-shaped clip in front of the motor and now nothing works!! No ignition and not only that but there is no "clicking" sound when the key is inserted. I have had it apart multiple times to make sure it is all oriented correctly and it looks like it is all good. I removed the new motor and when I apply power to it it works great. I am at a loss any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
Should always disassemble esl in unlocked state. Meaning you need to unplug it while the key is still inserted. If the micro switches changed state from what the mcu had in memory to when you plugged it back in then the controller stops working.
you need to desolder the mcu and repair the software now.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 PM

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Russell Ormerod is right..... It's called hash error. You will need repairing with specific software which can take hours. For my customers I offer a genuine steering lock replacement or emulators. 9 out of 10 people go for the emulator. It's cheaper and no moving parts. If you are in the US, send me a PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c300
Thanks for the information, I have removed the EIS and sent it with the keys to get programed to a emulator. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes C250 Coupe
Here we have a good example of teamwork at its' best. Very positive to see. A plus for all...........

ez sends (had a recent ESL issue with our C250 coupe - 37550 odometer. Non-factory extended warranty covered most of the dealership's one grand botton line parts and labor. Incidentally this was the first issue since 2014 purchase).

Old 12-05-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC SPORT
Originally Posted by MBENZTECH
Russell Ormerod is right..... It's called hash error. You will need repairing with specific software which can take hours. For my customers I offer a genuine steering lock replacement or emulators. 9 out of 10 people go for the emulator. It's cheaper and no moving parts. If you are in the US, send me a PM.
Sending you a PM

I am in US and am thinking might be a good idea to do a preemptive strike on this. I am a bit confused on what exactly a locksmith does... Or how common it is to find one who knows how to do (whatever)