C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

All signs on dashboard flashed on and car lost power in the middle of driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200k
All signs on dashboard flashed on and car lost power in the middle of driving?

Something strange happened to my w204

So when I was reversing and stop and then change the gear to D, suddenly the car lost power and couldn't drive forward nor reverse at all... all the signs such as abs, engine light, battery turned on as if you're in the turn on ac/music position (the key position before turning on engine) I tried to switch the gear to R or D and the gear could moved but still no power on the engine. The steering wheel was also heavy to move to. After long few seconds and after turning off the engine and turning it on again, suddenly it had power to move again.

I tried to turn on my key in that position where it shows all the engine, abs signs on, and I tried to move the gear but it was rock solid, meaning you're not supposed to be able to move the gear while it's in that position.

Wtf wrong with my car? 2 months ago the ESL just died on me. Now I'm really thinking to get rid of it.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C200 Blueefficiency CDI
That's a weird one! I would definitely get a proper scan done, to see if something is stored after the incident. Other than that just hope for the best I guess
Old 03-07-2024, 08:29 PM

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Engine died on load change. Happens to me when I'm changing from R to D while loading the steering. That said, that issue has not presented itself after I replaced the engine mounts.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,635 Likes on 2,419 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
SCARRY ENGINE QUIT....

Originally Posted by Samsungbenz08
Something strange happened to my w204

So when I was reversing and stop and then change the gear to D, suddenly the car lost power and couldn't drive forward nor reverse at all... all the signs such as abs, engine light, battery turned on as if you're in the turn on ac/music position (the key position before turning on engine) I tried to switch the gear to R or D and the gear could moved but still no power on the engine. The steering wheel was also heavy to move to. After long few seconds and after turning off the engine and turning it on again, suddenly it had power to move again.

I tried to turn on my key in that position where it shows all the engine, abs signs on, and I tried to move the gear but it was rock solid, meaning you're not supposed to be able to move the gear while it's in that position.

Wtf wrong with my car? 2 months ago the ESL just died on me. Now I'm really thinking to get rid of it.
Something drastic caused your engine to stop. You should get this car serviced for safety concerns. Loosing power randomly is never a good option.

You want to scan your chassis for faults with a Launch scanner cReadet Elite for MB or better such as professionals like @BenzNinja

It could be a lot of things including low fuel delivery or low voltage controlled by ECU.

Refrain from replacing too many good parts in a rush.

I bet one of the popular electrical issues crashed a VIP module on the CAN-C. How convenient - Good luck sorting out painted GND + floating main GND strap + exhausted batteries.

A collection of items all nicely stringed.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-08-2024 at 02:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 75 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes w204 4matic sport
I had something similar but not on my Mercedes. For a while, while driving my Subaru it would just randomly kill its self. I mean everything! Engine,lights, everything dead 100%. Only way to restart was a battery reset. Then it was like nothing ever happened, until it happened again. No clue what it was, acidently by chance found my turbo recirc bov was disconnected from the hose to recirculate the excess air back to the intake. Re-attached and it never happened again. No idea why that would kill my car but yah. I’d say it might be to do with the engine. But get it scanned.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
I had twice happenned to me where I started the car crank the steering left to get out of parking space, engine died. Restart ok. Months later reversing out of garage, turning sharp right, engine died. Restart, never happenned again. Did not see anything on dash. The engine died before I could pull away in both cases.