C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

M271 running rich - Code p0172 and P2188

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 kompressor sport
M271 running rich - Code p0172 and P2188

Hello I’m new owner of a c180 engine m271. Just learning about it and could use some advice on steps to a smooth ride and better mpg.

Ive got a 2008 c180 1.8 petrol kompressor sport with 109k miles from the auction as a cat N - (minor rear end damage). I don’t know anything else about the history of the car.

Engine light popped up and I got these reoccurring codes p2188 and p0172 - rich idle bank 1.

The acceleration is laggy at times and the engine is quite loud. It sounds like a loud fan on all the time. Low mpg and just a bit lazy overall. Gear change is lazy with 1st dragging.

My maf reading was 3-7 g/sec at idle and hit 25-30 g/sec when rpm increased.

STFT ranged 14 to -25
LTFT ranged 0 to -15

o2 sensor bank 1 = 1.24 and 3.14
o2 sensor bank 2 = 0 and 0.92

My odb reader is just a cheap one and the readings don’t show consistently throughout the drive for some reason - gives me a couple mins at a time.

I cleaned maf and no change, then found that the pipe going from maf to supercharger wasn’t on properly but fixing that made no change.

I bought the breather hose (with valve)that goes from air intake to engine block. So taken out throttle body, intake, fuel rail and supercharger. I’m thinking to change supercharger oil while it’s out, is it worth it?.

With the sc out I could remove the full 4 part breather hose and valve. The top hose didn’t seem bad, aswell as the one of the other joints hoses underneath but the valve cracked off as I tried to remove it from the pipe and I could see it was hardened and brittle in that part.
new one will be installed.

Breather hose and valve

Breather hose and valve

aside from that I realised that the there was oil in the ecu + connectors, not a lot but it was you could see shiney oil residue. I cleaned it with some electrical cleaner but need to go over again because I didn’t want to bend the pins and these still some in the gaps.

checked the camshaft sensors and yep they were oily and a couple drips came out on release, magnets are oily, and a few of the other connectors are oily. Not leaking bad but glazed. I noticed around the back of the engine is covered in oil, any idea what this is? I’m hearing it can be a rear seal?.

back of engine

more oil

Even though it seemed pretty dry from the outside I’m going to check the o2 sensors for oil. I’ve read these can go when the oil gets to them.

Was planning on
1.replacing the magnets
2. Buy camshaft extension leads to prevent further leaks reaching ecu
3. Clean out wire loom, ecu and ecu connectors with cleaner and blow thru with air until oil is gone
4. clean throttle body, air intake and other removed Parts
5. Replace o2 sensors (if necessary) and camshaft sensors? Or will a clean work? Since there are no direct codes for either. if anyone knows the optimal readings I should be aiming for, can you share the info?

I’ve just got a mb scan tool off a friend but I’m going to have to get readings after I do the work and put it all back together again.

After I will change oil, plugs and filters.

Old 06-26-2024, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
This is just quick based on your measurements.
Your LTFT is zero at idle, which should rule out leaking injectors. However, it goes to -15 as you come off idle, so the system is always trying to lean out the mixture by quite a lot. Poor fuel economy means it probably is running rich. The MAF seems to be responding but I don’t have data on what the ranges should be. I haven’t bothered much with STFT as it varies a lot.

You have eliminated exhaust leaks which can invalidate O2 sensor data. After remedial work on the wiring harnesses, magnets, etc, I would be concerned with the O2 sensors and the MAF even though you’re not getting DTCs. Be aware that if the oil actually got into the ECU, it could be compromised. Also, the M271 has been known for deposit buildup on the valves affecting performance.

In the U.S. the C250 M271 EVO was the only I4 model available. There were renegade tuners who would actually change the programming of the ECU to increase output and cause problems as a result. I don’t know if this is applicable to the UK, but since you have no history, I mention it.

Being the owner of a Mercedes without service history may make this more of a resurrection than a repair. Good luck going forward.
The following users liked this post:
Missing10 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 307 Likes on 263 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
Sounds like you are going in the right direction.

I wouldnt replace the sensors until you get the work done and scan it with the MB scanner.

Valve cover may be leaking.

Looks like there is some cracking on the drive belt you may want to replace while you are at it.
Old 06-26-2024, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
For your codes P0172 and P2188, indicating a rich condition on Bank 1, there are several steps you can take to improve your car's performance and fuel efficiency.

Firstly, check the MAF sensor. While your MAF readings seem within a typical range, it's worth cleaning the MAF sensor or replacing it if it's faulty. A dirty or malfunctioning MAF sensor can cause inaccurate readings, leading to a rich fuel mixture.

Your O2 sensor readings appear off, especially on Bank 2. Faulty O2 sensors can send incorrect signals to the engine control unit, causing it to enrich the fuel mixture. Replacing any faulty O2 sensors could help resolve the issue.
CaliBenzDriver (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 kompressor sport
Thanks for the advice and opinions guys, i may just buy a new MAF after I clean out the wiring and ecu. But next thing is checking if these o2 sensors.

I’ll have a look at the valve cover for the oil leak probably and do the magnets after along with the rest.

Once everything is cleaned and put back together I’ll get the readings. Hopefully I can get done this week and get some readings on the mb scan tool.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,334 Likes on 2,218 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
mixed up

2xBanks... 1x LTFT ...
It looks like there could be data error.

( No ) Is this M271 a 4Cyl divided in 2 Banks then we're missing LTFT2 !
> Some L4 are trimmed in 2x separate cyl. banks then 2x LTFT

( Yes ) or a 4Cyl with 1x upstream/ 1x downstream lambda/O2 sensors and a single LTFT1 ?
> Then don't compare upstream lambda with downstream O2.

At any rate it is burning rich...
A new upstream lambda sensor

How old are plugs, boots, could, injectors??
​​​

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-26-2024 at 05:28 PM.
Odd Piggy (06-26-2024)