C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

battery issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation battery issue?

Hello! first post hoping some of you Mercedes pros can help me out! Recently my car radio has started dying about 10-15 minutes into driving my 2012 C300, then shortly after all the lights on my cluster will come on including the red battery symbol and ill start to lose power until the car dies. ill let the car sit for alittle bit and the power will come back. i recently had my battery tested and it came back good, its only a year old, and i changed my alternator and it fixed the issue for about a day and now its doing it again. I looked for the axillary battery in all the locations youtube told me it could be, under the passenger dash, the trunk and the right side of the steering column and couldn't find it anywhere, I'm starting to think maybe it doesn't have one but i don't know if that's even possible. Thank you for reading this and your time! any help or direction would be highly appreciated!

Last edited by DevWolfe; Today at 12:12 AM.
Old Today, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,777 Likes on 1,315 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
In your car, do you have ECO Start/Stop? The secondary battery is only to support the Start/Stop function.

The problem definitely sounds like an alternator issue. Where did you get the replacement? On other cars, I have gotten a "remanufactured" alternator from an auto parts store chain and it died within a month. Doesn't matter that it had a lifetime warranty, it was still a pain to replace.

Other than that, you need to scan your car with a Mercedes specific scanner, such as XENTRY. I don't know if you are new to Mercedes or not, but if you are going to keep your car, I recommend investing in long-term service and joining @BenzNinja . You will get XENTRY, WIS/ASRA, EPC, and lifetime diagnostic support provided remotely.

Last edited by JettaRed; Today at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BenzNinja (Today)
Old Today, 09:15 AM

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
325Ci, 325Cic, C300
^ This. If that's an Autozone alternator, they are quite literally, junk. As pointed out, lifetime warranty means nothing if you're on the hook for labor.
Old Today, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 386 Likes on 326 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I would think if there was an issue with the aux battery (if your car even has one?) the message on the dash would say something like "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction". I'm speculating.

Have you scanned the car with a Mercedes specific obd scanner, that may lead you in the right direction.

If you have a multimeter see the battery voltage with the car off then again with the car running, it should jump to something like 14v with it running.

I think an autoparts store can test the alternator. Out of curiosity I was looking around at used alternators and wondered how I would know its still good, then came across something on Autozone I think it was saying they can bench test an alternator even out of the car. I never had it done so not sure if everyone does it.

When I was getting the red battery warning I bought an inexpensive battery tester which shows the charging voltage which is handy. From the readings I ruled out the alternator.