C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Automobile mag article

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Automobile mag article

Sounds promising.... I think I'd forgo the Airmatic for the regular comfort suspension....

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...-class-review/
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by alsyli
Sounds promising.... I think I'd forgo the Airmatic for the regular comfort suspension....

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...-class-review/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ss-review.html

"We are told the standard steel sprung set-up is near to Comfort but more forcefully damped to prevent the float."

Sounds like how my dad used to describe a proper Mercedes suspension. "Soft springs and hard dampers."

I'm just gald they are moving away from out BMWing BMW.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-10-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I'm just gald they are moving away from out BMWing BMW.
When did they even try to do that?? If the gap has closed, I think it's because BMW (mistakenly) was moving closer to MB with softer, less engaging dynamics. Early reports suggest the 2 and 4 Series may turn that around, but the volume leading 3 is still off-target.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 990 Likes on 725 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
When did they even try to do that?? If the gap has closed, I think it's because BMW (mistakenly) was moving closer to MB with softer, less engaging dynamics. Early reports suggest the 2 and 4 Series may turn that around, but the volume leading 3 is still off-target.
Note I used the word tried. Don't take my word for it read Road and Tracks assessment. Better articulation of my point. I had a W201 2.6 5spd. IMHO more of a true Mercedes than the subsequent models. This report gives me hope that Mercedes is returning to their roots.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...nz-c400-4matic
Old 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Benz certainly tried to make W203 & W204 more like the 3 Series but a little more refined. Recently BMW has moved 3 Series more in the traditional Benz direction & tried to make the damn things more comfortable.

Where I come from Benz way outsells BMW due to solidity, refinement & durability. All Benz cars sell at a premium here over BMW pricing.

In SA conditions BMW cars don't make old bones well. All performance models tested by our local Car magazine in the last 10 years have broken down while under test. They are fragile if you use the performance so what is the point.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-01-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Note I used the word tried. Don't take my word for it read Road and Tracks assessment. Better articulation of my point. I had a W201 2.6 5spd. IMHO more of a true Mercedes than the subsequent models. This report gives me hope that Mercedes is returning to their roots.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...nz-c400-4matic
With the 204 as my first Benz, I guess I didn't have a basis for comparison for the directional change. From my previous outsiders point of view, if they thought they were moving toward BMW with the 204, it sure seemed subtle, but I take your point that you did say, "tried"!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Benz certainly tried to make W203 & W204 more like the 3 Series but a little more refined. Recently BMW has moved 3 Series more in the traditional Benz direction & tried to make the damn things more comfortable.

Where I come from Benz way outsells BMW due to solidity, refinement & durability. All Benz cars sell at a premium here over BMW pricing.

In SA conditions BMW cars don't make old bones well. All performance models tested by our local Car magazine in the last 10 years have broken down while under test. They are fragile if you use the performance so what is the point.
Yes, the current 3 series seems to have been off the brand target. The reports on the newer 2 make it seem as if its far more true to the original brand strategy, and conveniently close in size to the current W204. The data from JDP doesn't support such a radical degree of difference in DQR between a 3 and a C. But, the point is not to always drive the thing at 10/10ths, which may hasten deterioration, but the difference in the feeling along the way at any speed (plus the continuing availability of the stick!). I had the chance to drive my son's X1 again this past week, and was reminded of how much more fun even an automatic SUV can be just based on the more athletic/fun feel. I know you once said you found the MB "bank vault" feeling fun, but there is a sprightly, "on my toes" sense fed back through the BMW which the MB just doesn't have (by intent, I believe), and which I find much more entertaining.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I know what people like about the BMW feel when new apart from wayward rear ends. They still snap oversteer at the limit which is not as great as people think.

I like it in small doses too but they turn me into a hooligan until I give myself a big fright. The Benz feel calms me & gives pleasure in a very different way.

BMW's lack of reliability, rattles & squeaks at low mileage & cheap interior materials leave me cold.

I'm pleased to see a US scribe in the Road & Track article gets what I like about Merc. The new C400 in Luxury trim might just coax me out of a Coupe. We'll see.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-01-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I'm pleased to see a US scribe in the Road & Track article gets what I like about Merc. The new C400 in Luxury trim might just coax me out of a Coupe. We'll see.
Actually, given your past assessment of the credibility of US automotive journalists, I would think this would worry you!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed! ~ I will be driving the car personally in approx 3 weeks time. I've been assured that they will have a demonstrator spec'ed to my liking. i.e C400 Elegance, auto with steel suspension, BiX & Parktronic at a minimum. I'm sure it will be fully loaded however.

My idea of a Sports Saloon/Sedan has always been the Jag Mk2 but without the wayward live axle. Hence the 3.8 S Type manual OD with IRS or an XJ6.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Indeed! ~ I will be driving the car personally in approx 3 weeks time. I've been assured that they will have a demonstrator spec'ed to my liking. i.e C400 Elegance, auto with steel suspension, BiX & Parktronic at a minimum. I'm sure it will be fully loaded however.

My idea of a Sports Saloon/Sedan has always been the Jag Mk2 but without the wayward live axle. Hence the 3.8 S Type manual OD with IRS or an XJ6.
So, here's a question for you.....if the vehicle distribution was so-structured, would you take a 2015MY car from MB's Tuscaloosa plant in Alabama?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

No ~ I always let new models settle into production & have their issues ironed out if it is on my tab as I keep cars for quite a while due to low mileage now in retirement. My CLK is as new & has just clocked 19800 miles. I bought the CLK at the end of it's production cycle & it is a zero defect car.

Were it a company car being replaced every 3 to 4 years or 120,000Km's or 74,000 miles then I have no issue with being an early adopter. Company cars are very much part of the SA employee package. This drives a large proportion of Benz & BMW sales here.

As I have said before I am an early adopter in my audio visual hobby & frequently get burned although I'm learning.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport

Glyn, would you mind giving your impressions of the ride after your drive? I'll likely trade in my car at the beginning of 2016 for a W205 and am very interested in the ride w/ the standard suspension....
Old 04-02-2014, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Yes ~ sure thing. SA motoring scribes that have been overseas to drive the W205 like the steel suspension more than the air. So that's a good start.