C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
I have the RWD. I doubt its the tires I'm hearing against the pavement. I realized the scraping is only during sharp left turns where you can longer turn the wheel. I was also going no more than 5mph. This weekend I'll get under it and do a visual inspection. Probably end up dropping it off for a more detailed look.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
How does AWD make the tires scrub? I've never heard of that, and I've been driving AWD cars for many years.

Any low profile tire can "stutter" while making low speed turns, but that's a function of the tire, not the drive system.
This is my 3rd AWD car. I was basically flooring the car and making a hard left so it sounded like the tire was scraping the pavement which could be just stutter but the sound could be misinterpreted to be scraping the wheel well. This is my first experience with run flats and so far I'm not impressed with quality of the ride. It may or may not have had anything to do with AWD as much as it could be due to the run flats.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400 4matic W205
I had previously reported that the exterior handle LED lights had stopped working on the rear left and rear right handles within 1 week of each other. The parts were initially on backorder. The dealership then ordered the wrong parts. Then correct parts were also on backorder. Eventually the rear lights were fixed. 3 months later the driver side handle light started turning purple and a week later it stopped working......there is obviously a systematic problem here. A normal LED lifespand is 70,000 hours! and these lights are only on at night when I unlock the car for maybe 30 seconds. Maybe they have been on for a total of a few hours. Definately not more than 10 hours. Last time I had brought the car in, they were trying to diagnose the issue, they had mentioned that the lights are getting voltage even though the lights aren't working. I'm guessing there is a voltage regulation issue......I wonder how long it will be before the front passenger light goes out as well, and if the fix that the dealership provided is just a superficial fix or actual deals with the source of the problem.....only time will tell.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 AM

2015 C300
It just keeps getting better...

So I dropped the car off for the squealing brakes, door handle LED, sagging sun shade and rattling speaker to be repaired. 3 days later I get it back and they fixed the door handle and only repaired the front brakes. They claim there is no problem with the sun shade, the speaker rattle is the same in all the cars they checked on the lot and there is a bulletin out on that problem but no fix. Advisor said it may just be a software update. They were only able to reproduce it when making a Bluetooth phone call. So I am going to see if only fixing the front brakes will eliminate the brake squeal problem. The fix for the brakes was a new fitment kit for the pads. As far as the rattling noise in the speaker is concerned it is mostly only while making a call or listening to talk radio. I guess I'll have to live with it for now until the find a fix. This has been a thoroughly disappointing experience.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by bobs72ss
So I dropped the car off for the squealing brakes, door handle LED, sagging sun shade and rattling speaker to be repaired. They claim there is no problem with the sun shade ...
The sag in the sun shade happens in the last 1/2" or so of travel, as it seats into the forward position. If you tap the switch and get it to move back a little, the sag disappears and the shade becomes tight. Mine is bad and I also showed it to my dealer's service manager. There was no question that it didn't fit right, but there is no adjustment built in to the shade mechanism. The only option is to pull the entire headliner and install a new unit. Since there is no adjustment, there is also no guarantee that a new unit will fit any better than what's in there now. It looks awful, but I decided to just leave it alone.

My frustration with the problems my own car has had is not that there were problems, but rather the lack of timely fixes. Problems with the door LED's, inconsistent Keyless Go operation, rear bumper fit, the loose sun shades, brake noise, and wind noise are well known and have been around since production started, but cars are still being produced with those same problems. The MB-Tex issue is the only problem I know of that had a TSB and a factory authorized fix. The rest of it seems to be up to the individual dealers to figure out, and that seems to be more trial and error than anything else.

I really wish MB was more proactive about all this stuff. My patience has been sorely tested and my confidence badly shaken ... not an ideal way to start any new car experience.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
We have a W205 c220 sport estate

Our complaints so far:

DAB radio seems to repeat itself when first switched on
Our rear parcel shelf guides broke (both sides)
Internal light doesn't come on when you switch your engine off (keyless go) but does if you use the key
Wind noise
Passenger headrest motor failed
Carpet trim came lose
Traffic/traffic along route seems to have stopped working on GPS
Internet radio not working
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
So now that a few guinea pigs have had their seats changed, I am going to bite the bullet and make an appointment to try and get the issues I am having with my C300 taken care of, hopefully all at the same time, and correctly. They are :

1) Bleeding Seats
2) Rear Bumper Misalignment
3) Driver Door Misalignment
4) Squealing brakes
5) Excessive Wind Noise at Driver Door
Two new errors, in addition to the above.

1) The plastic trim between the pano roof glass and the car body has broken or come loose on the driver side toward the rear window. I fiddled with it to try snap it into place, but no joy.

2) This one is more concerning. I am hearing a noise from the passenger front end when I move the steering wheel side to side driving. I also hear it when going over a speed bump. Perhaps the front CV? It is more of a banging rather than a clicking that you would associate with a CV though. Interestingly, I don't hear it when the car is cold, only after driving for a bit.

Will add it to the list. Nothing has been addressed yet, the dealer has been waiting for the seat parts for almost 1.5 months.

I tried to make a video of the noise as I was nearing my house this evening. It is barely audible in it (much louder in person), but you can kind of hear it as I saw the wheel back and forth.

Last edited by rustycruiser; 04-01-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 Sedan
I also noticed the plastic trim fitment is not ideal between the pano-glass and the body. It seems to be sticking out a lil bit. Every time I wipe the car the cloth would get caught on it.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 AM

C220
Clutch

Well c220 manual only six months old and I have had to have new clutch and flywheel fitted. Took dealer a week to find the problem it was like a misfire and they thought is was contaminated fuel also now they have fixed that the park assist does not work so back we go
Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 AM

W205 C250 Sedan
Anyone notice that with COMAND multimedia, MP3s in the root of the SD card does not show up on the playlist? Only stuff inside folders show up.

Is it me or is this normal?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 AM

2015 Mercedes C Class
Originally Posted by gnus
Slow turns at almost 90 degrees for you? It's a dulled "knock knock knock" only at certain degree turns; also inconsistent. I've usually noticed it turning into my driveway. They initially thought they knew what the issue was, had to do with fluid transfer on 4MATICS, but the soft fix didn't seem to work this time. Thus bringing it in again next week. I'm just glad they were able to replicate the issue, as I was previously.

Same scenario on the noise for you?
Been getting the same noise from my 2015 C-300 and finally took the car to the dealer about 10 days ago. Front struts being replaced - waiting for parts. Hopefully this fixes the problem
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some minor issues with my replacement C300. Yesterday, while driving, I heard three beeps, and then Agility went into Sport mode. Nothing else happened, so I have no idea what this was about.

Two minor trim issues. The plastic piece that goes from under the dash to the sill, on the driver's side, has popped out of its groove. It is tight, and I can't move it or reseat it, so I'll leave it until the car is in for service. I also noticed that the black plastic trim piece that goes around the console is loose in its chrome surround. On both the driver and passenger side, it is loose in the middle area and does not stay flush. Either a lack of adhesive or inadequate crimp on the surround piece. Again, very minor and it'll wait for later service.

Over 1,000 miles and that's the complete list. Much better build than my first C300, but still some minor quality lapses. I won't complain too much, since my Porsche also had some issues with the plastic trim pieces right after I got it.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:46 AM

W205 C200
How is the touchpad on your car, has it continues to function?
I have a W205 C200 for 2 months since mid Jan 2015 without problem. However on the third, the touchpad seized to response. The click sensitive area no longer have the click feel. It does not function for 2 weeks and out of the blue, it started to function normal for a day and now it is back to no response again. Would appreciate if anybody can advice.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by robinhayashi
I have a W205 C200 for 2 months since mid Jan 2015 without problem. However on the third, the touchpad seized to response. The click sensitive area no longer have the click feel. It does not function for 2 weeks and out of the blue, it started to function normal for a day and now it is back to no response again. Would appreciate if anybody can advice.
It will either be dirt under the panel or its faulty. Either way you can't take it apart so you'll have to take the car back to the dealer for them to replace the pad.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:36 AM

W205 C250 BlueTEC Avantgarde
W205 C250 BlueTec - early problems

I have just taken delivery of my W205 C250 BlueTec and the early problems I have experienced are:
  1. When the car is at running temperature, there is a distinctive lag (flat) when pulling off from a stop. It feels like a lack of communication between the accelerator pedal and the engine. MB advise that this is a software problem and a simple upgrade will sort it.
  2. The ADDBLUE pump at the back (underneath) makes a loud ticking noise for about 10 seconds after the engine is turned off. MB advise that this is normal !!
Has anyone else experienced either of these issues?

Last edited by StevenKaplan; 05-28-2015 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-28-2015, 05:40 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by StevenKaplan
I have just taken delivery of my W205 C250 BlueTec and the early problems I have experienced are:
  1. When the car is at running temperature, there is a distinctive lag (flat) when pulling off from a stop. It feels like a lack of communication between the accelerator pedal and the engine. MB advise that this is a software problem and a simple upgrade will sort it.
  2. The ADDBLUE pump at the back (underneath) makes a loud ticking noise for about 10 seconds after the engine is turned off. MB advise that this is normal !!
Has anyone else experienced either of these issues?
I've had no such issues. Quite to the contrary, the amount of low down grunt this oil burner has off the line is quite astonishing actually - especially in Sports+. I mean, 5l/100km consumption, 500Nm and only 2 sec slower than a c63 (0-100 km/h) .. Things don't get much better. About the only thing you could nag about is engine noise. I've not noticed any ticking from the addblue pump
Old 05-29-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Have you changed it ?

Have you changed it ?

Originally Posted by robinhayashi
Old 05-29-2015, 04:29 AM

Polar White C200 A Exclusive Premium Business
A week ago the yellow engine light came on in evening. So I called the M-B 24 hour help. The technician called me and said that he will be in the repair shop in half an hour. So I drove to the repair shop and the technician connected the car to the computer. The problem was a faulty NOX sensor. In an hour we got the new NOX sensor and changed it. Everything is working again. I got home about midnight. I was pleased with this kind of service. I have driven with my car now 12000 km.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:20 PM

2015 Mercedes C220 Bluetec
Thumbs down Poor service and numerous problems

I have had my C220 two months, and it has been plagued with problems.
I initially reported the brakes pulling to the left, and with brake assist, the L/H front wheel locks.
I have also ad issues with the rear suspension banging and being very unsettled over bums and in corners.
Took two weeks before I could get a small 3 hour appointment.
After testing they determined there were problems and ordered new brakes and rear shocks. These were ordered and took two weeks to arrive. I had to phone three times before I was told the parts had arrived 5 days before.
They then told me the earliest appointment I could have was 15th June. After complaining, they manage an appointment in one week.
Since then, I have developed problems withe the GPS jamming, and a transmission glitch.
My colleague, who picked his identical car is also having the same issues and is also being give the run around by Merc.
Not impressed, and working on returning the cars and going to BMW.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Paul Wilkins. Reports like these bring down the reputation of Mercedes in general and damage all owners, even those who have little or no troubles of their own.

Readers can't form any judgment at all about patterns of bad dealer service without some information about your location. Please add at least your country to your profile and, if in the U.S., your state. Of course, the more specific your location, the better, such as "eastern part," "Bay area," etc. If your want to name your dealer, fine. Others have done it.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:40 PM

W205 C250 BLUETEC
C250 BT sudden acceleration failure after pull off

Less that 700km on the clock in my days old C250 BT which suddenly 'developed' about a 7 second delay from depressing the accelerator to actually accelerating. Got caught in 3 intersections with this scary phenomenon so returned home. Called merc assist....said it's severe turbo lag. A pungent burning smell present. Can't accept merc assist's explanation. Will book car in at service station as merc assist can't 'assist' is this common problem...what's the cause? ?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:24 PM

C220
I have a C

You year manufacture 2014 first of all I like the car I have had plenty of Audi and BMWs and this is my first Mercedes
This is the first car ever had it seems to make it difficult for the owner to get into the vehicle the keyless entry doesn't work regularly and if that doesn't work then the remote doesn't work so you have to stand there for criminal having to get into your own vehicle.
And to top it all you take it back to Mercedes and they don't tell you you're the only one having a problem but then when you go onto the forums you can see that other people are having a problem

And just to let you know Mercedes iPhone does affect keyless and also the remote you better off keeping separate pockets
All cars have problems a problem that doesn't allow you to access your vehicle or even drive I class as a serious problem you're after sales service is shocking comparing it to BMW and Audi I am so disappointed you make out your brand is wonderful but from my experience it a nightmare

while at the dealership They rang me to inform me that While in their care a dent Has been put into the side of the car and they are graciously putting it right how

And by the way they seemed they can't find the problem the keyless entry on the remote control

That's not to that's nothing to do with the ad blue problem I've had this car has only done 13,000 miles and so far I have had to put in 30 L of add blue

The car tells you won't start if the ad blue runs out so I phoned Mercedes service they come out they tell me it will be all right it would just go into a limp mode or that isn't correct the car just stops leaving you stranded and just to point this out at blue is not easily available not every service station sells it so when a customer ring saying the cast telling him he needs to add blue will it be a good idea for them to bring it out with them

But I do actually like the car that it seems that the service side of things and the reliability is not where it should be

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
C63P
Hey all, I hope this is the right place to post this even though I have a 2015 C63P Edition 1 (still W205 right?)...

After one day of ownership: in 95F (35c) degree weather the car refused to unlock. I tried the door handle and nothing happens (on either side), then tried the key FOB to unlock and same problem. I am leaning towards the key FOB acting up vs the car itself. I pressed the buttons to lock/unlock multiple times and the car did nothing at all.
I started to pop off the "manual key" cap on the drivers side door handle and after a few failed attempts it unlocked itself after I accidentally touched the door handle... really weird an embarrassing because I was demonstrating the car to friends.

Now... on to my BIGGEST PROBLEM.... the panorama roof sun-shield ate itself for breakfast. I literally used it 4 times in two days after getting the car and now it refuses to close and does this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3kzw8jvz7...45.48.mp4?dl=0

I am very angry about the sun-shield and I pray the service center will do a good job repairing it without creating new problems for me.... this is my first MB and I'm a bit angry.

But otherwise.... I love the car.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 AM

C220
Thumbs down not the only one than not able to get in to car

Originally Posted by mozy
Hey all, I hope this is the right place to post this even though I have a 2015 C63P Edition 1 (still W205 right?)...

After one day of ownership: in 95F (35c) degree weather the car refused to unlock. I tried the door handle and nothing happens (on either side), then tried the key FOB to unlock and same problem. I am leaning towards the key FOB acting up vs the car itself. I pressed the buttons to lock/unlock multiple times and the car did nothing at all.
I started to pop off the "manual key" cap on the drivers side door handle and after a few failed attempts it unlocked itself after I accidentally touched the door handle... really weird an embarrassing because I was demonstrating the car to friends.

Now... on to my BIGGEST PROBLEM.... the panorama roof sun-shield ate itself for breakfast. I literally used it 4 times in two days after getting the car and now it refuses to close and does this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3kzw8jvz7...45.48.mp4?dl=0

I am very angry about the sun-shield and I pray the service center will do a good job repairing it without creating new problems for me.... this is my first MB and I'm a bit angry.

But otherwise.... I love the car.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mozy

Now... on to my BIGGEST PROBLEM.... the panorama roof sun-shield ate itself for breakfast.
Intermittent problems with the car not recognizing the fob are not uncommon. Sometimes a simple press of the unlock button will re-establish communications but, if not, the car will always reset itself after a minute or two. Alternately, you can install the MB smartphone app and unlock or lock the car via the app. I was told that an occasional manual start of the car using the fob will prevent this from happening, but I'm not really sure if that's true. This Keyless Go glitch has been seen on other models as well, so it's either a software error or an unusual sensitivity to RFI. It always seems to happen when you're showing off your new car to someone else.

The only problem I've seen or heard of involving the sunroof shade has been loose fit and sagging when closed. Your problem with it being jammed like that is a new one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?