C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

is HUD worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E53 Coupe
If ordering a new car I would get the HUD again. I use it whenever using the navigation and/or DISTRONIC PLUS and it's very helpful. I find I turn it off for routine city driving.

Last edited by BenzC400; 04-28-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes C400
I got it, and it's really helpful... I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.
is anyone have speed limits show up on the HUD? or anywhere for the matter? I don't see the speed limit anywhere .
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
It's worth it IF it's worth it to you and you want it. That you're asking, makes me think you might want it . Personally I've had HUD and it restricts you to not wear polarized sunglasses and leaves the dash hole. In the W205, if windshield breaks, I understand you need their special reflective type glass.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
that was about the only main option that I decided against. I don't do a lot of long distance driving.. but also, was the only option packaged with Panaroof and Intelligent LED headlights at a steep AUS $4,500 .. I still got LED headlights with a Sunroof and no HUD for around $1,800..

Not as good as BMW HUD in my option so definitely not worth the money to package up
Old 04-30-2015, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250
Refocus

One thing that prevented me from getting it was the need to refocus between the HuD and objects out in the distance, and the annoyance of having data right in front of you whether you want to pay attention to it or not.

I just found the drive less relaxing.

The big hole was the second reason.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 AM

C250
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
but also, was the only option packaged with Panaroof and Intelligent LED headlights at a steep AUS $4,500 ..
You got the luxury car tax to blame for that. Without the tax it is actually a very reasonable $3500 for three major features. Some car charges $3000 just for the panaroof.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:20 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Originally Posted by Croc
You got the luxury car tax to blame for that. Without the tax it is actually a very reasonable $3500 for three major features. Some car charges $3000 just for the panaroof.
Mmm yes and no, how so with luxury car tax? I just had a look at my offer to purchase and the total amount of LCT for the purchase with all options was $2,100 so I am guessing it may be different in WA?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 AM

C250
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
Mmm yes and no, how so with luxury car tax? I just had a look at my offer to purchase and the total amount of LCT for the purchase with all options was $2,100 so I am guessing it may be different in WA?
LCT is 33% for any amount over $75k. So the $3500 option becomes $4600 if you are adding it to a car that over $75k.

When buying packages, make sure you find out the RRP (exc LCT). Quite a few dealers simply quote the LcT inclusive price, which artificially inflate the price if your car is under $75k. At least 2 MB dealers in Melbourne did that publicly on their price board.

Last edited by Croc; 04-30-2015 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:54 AM

V167 GLE 350 de
HUD is good. But it is not good with polarized sunglasses.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:30 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
I have that option and I love it and I say why:
First is perfectly visible in any light conditions, during a day, night I can see all content. It has a adjustable brightness so on max it is useable with polarized glasses as well.

Poralized glasses works with it, just the image is very dimmed compared to without. I have max brightness and I can see all content during daytime in my polarized glasses.

It is sharp and contrast image. Sometimes it can be blurry because you head might me not on a sweet spot. There is a control of height of the HUD so you can fix that. If that not helps lowering or highering seet might help.

Integration with sat nav and traffic sign assist, this is a reason really to have it. You have a info about next step, dynamic distance change, detail graphic when approching next turn like roundabout exits drawn exactly as they are, lanes and suggested lane highlighted to be. There is displayed almost always a speed limit currently on a road taking care of registered signs.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Its an expensive option just to duplicate information already available on the central or drivers display. I didn't get this because of that. I can already see speed limits on the nav display, I get speed etc in the drivers display, along with nav instructions etc. I understand it puts this information in your line of sight, but that's all it does.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Its an expensive option just to duplicate information already available on the central or drivers display. I didn't get this because of that. I can already see speed limits on the nav display, I get speed etc in the drivers display, along with nav instructions etc. I understand it puts this information in your line of sight, but that's all it does.
The HUD gives you distance to the next turn and the expected turn direction ( miles in advance) that the COMAND Nav doesn't. There is unfortunately no turn list in the COMAND Nav system. Your next turn only pops up when it's about time to turn. I use the HUD anytime I use the navigation system, mostly for that information. You can certainly get by without the next turn information on the HUD, but it's nice to have. The ability to display a turn list on the COMAND screen would be very helpful. Maybe we'll get it with a future update to COMAND.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Travel4mb
Anyone else have issues with the HUD being out of focus or blurry?
Yes. I am a fairly tall and have to adjust the location of the HUD down a little so I can see - while keeping it so my wife can see it. I don't want her to have to adjust it every time she gets in the car so I picked a spot where we can both see it. Unfortunately, that spot means it is a little out of focus for me. If I skooch down in the seat a little so I am sitting lower, the HUD becomes perfectly in focus.

It's not a huge issues as it is not terribly out of focus; however, it would be nice to be able to slightly adjust it.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzC400
The HUD gives you distance to the next turn and the expected turn direction ( miles in advance) that the COMAND Nav doesn't. There is unfortunately no turn list in the COMAND Nav system. Your next turn only pops up when it's about time to turn. I use the HUD anytime I use the navigation system, mostly for that information. You can certainly get by without the next turn information on the HUD, but it's nice to have. The ability to display a turn list on the COMAND screen would be very helpful. Maybe we'll get it with a future update to COMAND.
Really? When I choose the NAVI option in the instrument cluster display it tells me the next turn information well in advance? I agree its not obvious on the central display until you're close, but the cluster display provides different information.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 AM

BMW 335 M Sport Convertible
I'll be able to offer an opinion in about 5 hours when I pick up my car
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by southsider
I'll be able to offer an opinion in about 5 hours when I pick up my car
lol well I think you'll love it, you better had for a £1000 single option!

For me, its what it offers that the rest of the car already doesn't that made me sink £1000 into something else.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:38 AM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
Originally Posted by goherdibg
Yes. I am a fairly tall and have to adjust the location of the HUD down a little so I can see - while keeping it so my wife can see it. I don't want her to have to adjust it every time she gets in the car so I picked a spot where we can both see it. Unfortunately, that spot means it is a little out of focus for me. If I skooch down in the seat a little so I am sitting lower, the HUD becomes perfectly in focus.

It's not a huge issues as it is not terribly out of focus; however, it would be nice to be able to slightly adjust it.
If you have a memory package you can save head up display position independently.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:43 AM

2019 E53 Coupe
Originally Posted by goherdibg

The height of the head-up display is stored with the seat memory functions according to the manual. If you have a setting for you and another for your wife, it should be perfect for each of you. I haven't tried this though. My wife never uses the head-up display so she's never adjusted it for her.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by pavloPL
If you have a memory package you can save head up display position independently.
Awesome. I did not know that. I will have to set it for our presets.

Thank you!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM

205 220 C Class
I seem to spend an unholy amount of time going through speed averaging roadworks whilst you are boxed in by 3 trucks and a blind idiot with a bad temper. For this reason, having your speed plus the speed you're supposed to be doing projected right in front of your eyes is brilliant IMO. I really like the feature.

Where it could do better is the turn info. I never, ever use the turn info on the HUD as I find it to not be a very accurate reflection of what Command tells me. The graphics are too simple to cope with major roundabouts - it's fine for a bog standard 'turn right' but otherwise, no.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
This is one of the options I'm so undecided on and am still up in the air about so to speak !? I've driven a BMW with the HUD's and thought it worked great thus am interested in this !?

Then again the way I'll be configuring mine it'll have just about all the boxes ticked off so what's just about $1k for HUD haaaa !?!?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
omgitselaine, If you like HUD in the BMW then you'll like it in the C. <$1K is good deal for me and I would get it again in all my future car.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I too don't do a lot of driving...mostly just back n' forth to work in stop n' go traffic...so HUD was not worth it for me. I chose to spend that $1,000 on Blind Spot Assist & 19" Silver AMG Wheels.

My wife has HUD on her 2014 328i xDrive...she loves it, but to me it's just a "gimmick" option. I have no problem looking down at my speedometer or at the NAV screen if I need to.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by MASSC300
I too don't do a lot of driving...mostly just back n' forth to work in stop n' go traffic...so HUD was not worth it for me. I chose to spend that $1,000 on Blind Spot Assist & 19" Silver AMG Wheels.

My wife has HUD on her 2014 328i xDrive...she loves it, but to me it's just a "gimmick" option. I have no problem looking down at my speedometer or at the NAV screen if I need to.
I thought it was a bit gimmicky at first but now am well pleased I got HUD. The blind spot assist is also excellent and I think you made a great choice. Will be interested to hear how you like it once your car arrives.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:41 PM

'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
I like it, too, but usually wear polarized sunglasses, so I have to move my head a little to see it.
I agree that it displays redundant info, but it is especially nice when driving fast or in heavy traffic and you don't want to divert your gaze from the road. (I'm not totally trusting Distronic yet. )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is HUD worth it?