C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Is AIRMATIC worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Nah, the S205 has steel suspension front and rear as standard, no semi airmatic available (yet?).
The S212 however always have airbags in the rear axle and optional front.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
I'm on the fence with this whole Airmatic debate. On one hand I'd love to be able to program a custom setting to get it lower than factory specs but on the other hand it seems that just about every road test I've read seems to prefer the steel suspension.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 (pre-ordered Jan 14)
I posted about the Airmatic vs Steel question in another post, but it would seem to fit in this thread better, so I'll just copy/paste below:

I drove quite a few C400's to determine how the Airmatic compared to the steel sport suspension that comes standard in US-spec C400's.

Before I give my opinion, you should know I wanted a firm, sporty ride that cornered flat, felt composed over bumps and transitioned left/right/left confidently without wallowing...... The standard Sport Suspension felt great by my standards, but I wanted to know if the Airmatic would make it even stiffer (better in my book).

When I got a chance to drive an Airmatic car, I didn't like it. It made the car feel heavier and it felt softer in every setting, even Sport+. Given what I was looking for, that was bad news, but there was something else that disturbed me much more. Over bumps and in other quick handling maneuvers, I got the distinct feeling that the rear end of the car was wallowing a bit, moving slightly side to side. I don't think it would have been perceptible to a passenger, but to me the side to side motion was really disconcerting.

OPINION: If you're looking for a sporting ride, stick with the steel sport suspension, the Airmatic is really not the way to go. If you're looking to tone down the stiffer-than-your-average-car suspension in the C400 and get a softer, smoother ride, and you're not planning to drive it like a sport sedan, I'd say the Airmatic option would be a good move.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Thanks for that post Dabo. Now I'm definitely happy I ordered my C300 with the Airmatic. I just hit old age and it's all about comfort for me.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 (pre-ordered Jan 14)
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Thanks for that post Dabo. Now I'm definitely happy I ordered my C300 with the Airmatic. I just hit old age and it's all about comfort for me.
Happy to help! It took a LONG time to find a car with Airmatic to test drive. It seems to be a rare option (at least up my way in NH). I loved the way you can change ride height, and if I were looking for a more luxury-oriented ride, I'd have decided in favor of the Airmatic too. Enjoy yours!