C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

'15 C300 4matic vs '15 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2105 MB C300 4matic, with every option except sunroof and V6
I've owned Hyundai and I've owned Mercedes. This one is a disaster. No one is telling you to never buy other. It's my decision. If this last one was perfect I would stay. I have made up my mind. Good luck with your choices and respect mine. Mike
Old 05-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
My biggest problem when looking at a Genesis recently wasn't the car, but the dealers. The car itself was very impressive at that price point, and I think a lot of complaints of "it's a German knockoff", or, "it doesn't have the soul of a European car" are largely in our heads.

But dealing with regional Hyundai dealers was a horrendous pain in the ***. They're clearly not comfortable dealing with customers who've had some basic education on car purchases. Two refused to give me any detailed financials unless I came in. One then went further and insisted they'd only give me a deal sheet if I committed to buy the car. The sleazy pressure was laughable. I walked out.
My closest dealer was actually willing to give me a detailed quote, but that became just as frustrating. Divining basics from their numbers, like the acq. fee, became an elaborate dance. I know, I know, that happens with MB dealers as well. But the kicker was seeing that the MF on a Genesis was six times the base rate. And - here's a new one - the residual was 4% below the official rate.

I thought to myself, "where do I even begin?" And I couldn't figure that out. If I chose to negotiate the offer, every time one part of the deal changed, I'd have to check what they slipped in via the back. Just the thought of that kind of negotiation process made me miserable. So, I walked away from Hyundai altogether. Nice car. Not worth the buying process.
The following users liked this post:
Shadwell (08-26-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 (no code 165 option..)
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike
I've owned Hyundai and I've owned Mercedes. This one is a disaster. No one is telling you to never buy other. It's my decision. If this last one was perfect I would stay. I have made up my mind. Good luck with your choices and respect mine. Mike
WOW! Really? Disrespect?
Others posted thoughts and opinions, I did the same. Even including "sorry you had a bad experience".
Hmmm, did not see anywhere anyone was telling me what to buy, nor did I convey that in my post.

Take the verbiage for what it is, don't read anything more into it and lighten up!

Last edited by Sma2c; 05-13-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2016, 07:11 PM

Sorry

I live in the NY area. When I called two dealers in NJ, both gave me exactly the answers I was looking for. I'm looking at the car with 3.8L AWD
plus the Signature and the Tech packages. Both places quoted me for 15,000 36 month sign and drive $399.00. The dealers were Lynne's in Bloomfield (973 743 5100 and another dealer on Rte 23 near Wayne Jose Morel 973 694 7800. You could call Jose Morel and he would give same prices. I went into Advantage Hyundai in Hicksville, NY yesterday and they said they would match the price. Henry Jenkins 516 465 7000. Every place I ever go to they are courteous usually. Once in a while they are not.
I hope this helps,

Mike

Originally Posted by sadpanda
My biggest problem when looking at a Genesis recently wasn't the car, but the dealers. The car itself was very impressive at that price point, and I think a lot of complaints of "it's a German knockoff", or, "it doesn't have the soul of a European car" are largely in our heads.

But dealing with regional Hyundai dealers was a horrendous pain in the ***. They're clearly not comfortable dealing with customers who've had some basic education on car purchases. Two refused to give me any detailed financials unless I came in. One then went further and insisted they'd only give me a deal sheet if I committed to buy the car. The sleazy pressure was laughable. I walked out.
My closest dealer was actually willing to give me a detailed quote, but that became just as frustrating. Divining basics from their numbers, like the acq. fee, became an elaborate dance. I know, I know, that happens with MB dealers as well. But the kicker was seeing that the MF on a Genesis was six times the base rate. And - here's a new one - the residual was 4% below the official rate.

I thought to myself, "where do I even begin?" And I couldn't figure that out. If I chose to negotiate the offer, every time one part of the deal changed, I'd have to check what they slipped in via the back. Just the thought of that kind of negotiation process made me miserable. So, I walked away from Hyundai altogether. Nice car. Not worth the buying process.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Sadpanda

Never allow them to get to you. To stop all their BS all you ever need to do is ask for a sign and drive with the mileage that you want. It takes all the BS and guess work out of it. When they say something like are you paying sales tax up front or any money down my answer is always the same and shuts dealers mouths. What part of my statement SIGN AND DRIVE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? LIKE ARE YOU HARD OF HEARING? This shuts them right up and you get the answer you want.
Hope it helps.
Mike

I live in the NY area. When I called two dealers in NJ, both gave me exactly the answers I was looking for. I'm looking at the car with 3.8L AWD
plus the Signature and the Tech packages. Both places quoted me for 15,000 36 month sign and drive $399.00. The dealers were Lynne's in Bloomfield (973 743 5100 and another dealer on Rte 23 near Wayne Jose Morel 973 694 7800. You could call Jose Morel and he would give same prices. I went into Advantage Hyundai in Hicksville, NY yesterday and they said they would match the price. Henry Jenkins 516 465 7000. Every place I ever go to they are courteous usually. Once in a while they are not.
I hope this helps,

Mike
Old 05-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Residuals

MB now lists their cars at 50% residuals after 39 months. They state that their cars are so expensive to maintain that they have no choice. I for one won't support MB ever again. Oh, my first MB I bought new was in 1971 a 280 SE. Great car I kept in till 1980

I hope this helps,

Mike
Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
The rate of improvement on Hyundai and Kia is phenomenal. They will clearly overtake the Germans before long. Genesis are in short supply this year due to popularity. People online are comparing lease deals as good as $193/month for a 2016 3.8 dealer demo. Drive it 3 years and hand the keys back. Rock solid reliable, comfortable and with every modern convenience.
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (08-25-2016)