C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

HUD with Polarized sunnies?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
HUD with Polarized sunnies?

Can someone confirm if there's any issues with seeing the head-up display whilst wearing Polarized sunglasses? Stupidly I didn't try mine when I test drove the car and have since read some conflicting stories.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
HUD unfortunately does not work with polarized sunglasses, it distorts and almost completely erases the image. No just in the Mercedes.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
E300
sunnies

Hi. I currently have a BMW 328i with HUD and I don't find it completely unreadable with polarized sun glasses. It depends greatly on the viewing angle as well as the intensity of the sun. Even though that's the case my plan is still to get a C300 with the HUD. Once you go HUD you never go back!

And also, thanks for a great forum. Have been lurking for months!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Prescription polarized glasses

All plastic glasses (even non-sun glasses) polarize at least a little. That's why you get a rainbow light show when you look out through an airliner window while wearing polarized sun glasses. Last summer, I rented a BMW 1 series sedan in Germany. The car had a heads-up display. I always wear polarized sun glasses when it is sunny. There was lots of sun, but I had no trouble with the heads-up display (on a rental car! Thank you, Sixt!). I did not have any really difficult lighting conditions; in particular, I didn't have any driving into a setting son reflecting off a wet road.

A possible factor is that the glasses are prescription polarized glasses, so they are best quality. I can't be certain, but I suggest that if you have trouble using your heads-up display with polarized sun glasses, try better quality glasses.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
I should have added .. I installed an aftermarket HUD months ago in my current vehicle, which just uses a piece of reflective film on the windscreen to get around the double-glazing issue, but apart from that I've never had any problem in seeing the display through polarized Ray-Bans. It'd be a shame if the C-Class version turns out to be any different, but they use a different windscreen than a traditional car has. I think there's even some mention of this in the user guide.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by DBOC205
I should have added .. I installed an aftermarket HUD months ago in my current vehicle, which just uses a piece of reflective film on the windscreen to get around the double-glazing issue, but apart from that I've never had any problem in seeing the display through polarized Ray-Bans. It'd be a shame if the C-Class version turns out to be any different, but they use a different windscreen than a traditional car has. I think there's even some mention of this in the user guide.

Correct. That's one of the things you must keep in mind if you replace the windshield.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by gfmohn
All plastic glasses (even non-sun glasses) polarize at least a little. That's why you get a rainbow light show when you look out through an airliner window while wearing polarized sun glasses. Last summer, I rented a BMW 1 series sedan in Germany. The car had a heads-up display. I always wear polarized sun glasses when it is sunny. There was lots of sun, but I had no trouble with the heads-up display (on a rental car! Thank you, Sixt!). I did not have any really difficult lighting conditions; in particular, I didn't have any driving into a setting son reflecting off a wet road.

A possible factor is that the glasses are prescription polarized glasses, so they are best quality. I can't be certain, but I suggest that if you have trouble using your heads-up display with polarized sun glasses, try better quality glasses.
Also depends on the polarization of the display in the car. If it matches the sunglasses(horizontal, if I'm not mistaken), you'll see it. If vertical, it will be blocked.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 4Matic
I tried the "heads up" with a pair of Ray Ban black polarized sunglasses and yes you are still able to see the display but you need to turn up the brightness to 5 (highest setting) to see it well anything lower and you can see it but barely read it.