C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Spots on wood trim...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
Spots on wood trim...

Just thought I would put it out there and see if anyone else has experienced something similar. I was washing my 2015 C300 4Matic today, it is the Luxury version with the wood trim. I noticed on the doors there seems to be little spots on the wood trim when the light hits it just right. I tried cleaning them off, but didn't have any luck. It's almost like there is that protective plastic on the trim pieces. There may very well be, but I didn't see an edge or anything to pull off. Has anyone else experienced this, and do I need to see if I can pry up an edge or something? It is very strange.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Picture?
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Sorry, I guess that would help, see below picture. They are just little small dots, almost like something underneath the clear finish.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 650i GC
Originally Posted by boatdreamin
Just thought I would put it out there and see if anyone else has experienced something similar. I was washing my 2015 C300 4Matic today, it is the Luxury version with the wood trim. I noticed on the doors there seems to be little spots on the wood trim when the light hits it just right. I tried cleaning them off, but didn't have any luck. It's almost like there is that protective plastic on the trim pieces. There may very well be, but I didn't see an edge or anything to pull off. Has anyone else experienced this, and do I need to see if I can pry up an edge or something? It is very strange.

why not just take it to the dealer?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Can you feel a slight lump when you scratch your nail over the top? That looks like a fault in the clear coat. I've seen very similar things on woods that had clear coat applied over the top - most commonly caused by a spattering spray gun. Kind of like little solidified bits of clear that crystallize before they land on the substrate. If they don't sit too deep you might be able to polish or buff them out.. but I'd definitely chase that up under warranty.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,108 Likes on 729 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
My God, 21000 kids died of hunger in last night. Some people need a life. Those defects are microscopic. You'll probably get a scratch 5 times more noticeable the first time someone actually occupies that seating position! just imagine all the hidden defects inside the engine you can't see! Sheesh
Old 11-24-2014, 03:08 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Wow, very mature c4004matic. You post a simple question and get a smart aleck response. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, it's just something that bothered me that looked out of place.

I can't really feel anything, but I might try a mild polish before I go the warranty repair route. It's a lease so I'm not too worried about it anyway, just wanted to see if I was the only one.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Wow, very mature c4004matic. You post a simple question and get a smart aleck response. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, it's just something that bothered me that looked out of place.

I can't really feel anything, but I might try a mild polish before I go the warranty repair route. It's a lease so I'm not too worried about it anyway, just wanted to see if I was the only one.
Sorry its a smart alec response but sometimes I am agog at the problems and defects that people report. More half of the defects are that people don't read the manual. And some of the detail defects like the one you pointed out are simply ridiculous in scope. There are whole threads on the fact that in some cars the audio button's script seems to not line up perfectly with the buttons next to it. From what I have seen the defect is a fraction of a millimeter. Nothing made by man is perfect, if you look hard enough you will find a deviation from perfection anywhere. Your spots are invisible without a flash or incident lighting and are so small you need a magnifying glass to see them! Its just a production car, its not a million dollar Ferrari where they have techs that pore over every detail with a magnifying glass. To put in perspective, I make around 350 bucks an hour, if I miss half a day fixing something like that I just poured 1400 bucks into a defect that is worth less than a cent!!!!! Does that give it some perspective?
Old 11-24-2014, 03:58 PM

2015 C300 4Matic
Wow I'm impressed. I'm glad you shared how impressive you are. You must be very proud of yourself.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Wow I'm impressed. I'm glad you shared how impressive you are. You must be very proud of yourself.
No I just take my OCD pills religiously, Paxil, works wonders
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 650i GC
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Sorry its a smart alec response but sometimes I am agog at the problems and defects that people report. More half of the defects are that people don't read the manual. And some of the detail defects like the one you pointed out are simply ridiculous in scope. There are whole threads on the fact that in some cars the audio button's script seems to not line up perfectly with the buttons next to it. From what I have seen the defect is a fraction of a millimeter. Nothing made by man is perfect, if you look hard enough you will find a deviation from perfection anywhere. Your spots are invisible without a flash or incident lighting and are so small you need a magnifying glass to see them! Its just a production car, its not a million dollar Ferrari where they have techs that pore over every detail with a magnifying glass. To put in perspective, I make around 350 bucks an hour, if I miss half a day fixing something like that I just poured 1400 bucks into a defect that is worth less than a cent!!!!! Does that give it some perspective?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
If you have OCD, how can you stand the radio word misalignment?

Honestly, the manufacturing mistake is big enough but the real kicker is that nobody on the factory floor, production crew, inspection crew, dealership saw anything wrong with it. We buy Mercedes vehicles because we expect "The Best or nothing," as they say it themselves.

Last edited by joshg1001; 11-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by joshg1001
If you have OCD, how can you stand the radio word misalignment?

Honestly, the manufacturing mistake is bag enough but the real kicker is that nobody on the factory floor, production crew, inspection crew, dealership saw anything wrong with it. We buy Mercedes vehicles because we expect "The Best or nothing," as they say it themselves.

Give me a break he needs a loupe and incident light to show it. He probably felt a minuscule imperfection and spent 30min trying to show it.. If you swallowed the best or nothing hogwash I have a bridge for sale you might be interested in! Salespeople may have to put up with such inane complaints but other people should be able to call out silliness when they see it.
I'm sure people in a service department put a gun in their mouth every time someone comes in with a "defect" such as this.
If your power steering fails as some have had around here, that's a defect. If you have 2 dots less than half a mm on a door trim and its noteworthy to you need a psychiatrist. I should know trained in a psychiatric ICU for a year. I've been in many blogs, this is the one with most histrionics I've seen by far.

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-24-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Give me a break he needs a loupe and incident light to show it. He probably felt a minuscule imperfection and spent 30min trying to show it.. If you swallowed the best or nothing hogwash I have a bridge for sale you might be interested in! Salespeople may have to put up with such inane complaints but other people should be able to call out silliness when they see it.
I'm sure people in a service department put a gun in their mouth every time someone comes in with a "defect" such as this.
If your power steering fails as some have had around here, that's a defect. If you have 2 dots less than half a mm on a door trim and its noteworthy to you need a psychiatrist. I should know trained in a psychiatric ICU for a year. I've been in many blogs, this is the one with most histrionics I've seen by far.
Don't people actually OWN bridges in the US and charge a toll for using them?
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by mihaelb

In fact we do!!! But the ones to nowhere are free
Old 11-24-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Not sure if you're kidding or actually interested. The comment you're reacting to is a diluted version of an old expression about buying, specifically, the Brooklyn Bridge, a bridge owned by the City of New York. This was a very old reference from the early 1900's in NYC about separating a "sucker" from his money. Some feel the expression has been used enough to be understood without the specific "Brooklyn" reference. But, if you don't know the Brooklyn reference, it loses much meaning.

In fact, there also are privately owned bridges in the U.S. with tolls profiting a private owner, such as the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Not sure if you're kidding or actually interested. The comment you're reacting to is a diluted version of an old expression about buying, specifically, the Brooklyn Bridge, a bridge owned by the City of New York. This was a very old reference from the early 1900's in NYC about separating a "sucker" from his money. Some feel the expression has been used enough to be understood without the specific "Brooklyn" reference. But, if you don't know the Brooklyn reference, it loses much meaning.

In fact, there also are privately owned bridges in the U.S. with tolls profiting a private owner, such as the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit.
I never heard about it, but I figured as much. Thanks for clarifying
Old 11-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Boatdreamin has every right to be dissatisfied. I would reject that outright. The wood in my cars is as new when they are 10 years old as is most of the rest of the vehicle including the leather. One of the reasons I always have a long string of buyers for my used cars.

Make them replace it.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Boatdreamin has every right to be dissatisfied. I would reject that outright. The wood in my cars is as new when they are 10 years old as is most of the rest of the vehicle including the leather. One of the reasons I always have a long string of buyers for my used cars.

Make them replace it.
Tips on maintaining the interior?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Tips on maintaining the interior?
No farting, fornicating or food in the car. Do not allow the steering wheel or leather to get dirty. Clean regularly with a moist cloth & mild detergent. Feed leather every 6 months to a year with Maquiar's Rich Leather Cleaner Conditioner CREAM! I give my wood a coat of Auto Armor ~ long life polymer sealant.

Fit Genuine Benz floor mats or similar to protect carpets & keep the car immaculate. Then your passengers will respect it & not kick & scratch things. Garage the car when not in use & never wear dirty clothing when driving ~ same for passengers.

Then your leather seats can look like these from my old W203 C240 after 8 years of use before selling to a friend.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
No farting, fornicating or food in the car. Do not allow the steering wheel or leather to get dirty. Clean regularly with a moist cloth & mild detergent. Feed leather every 6 months to a year with Maquiar's Rich Leather Cleaner Conditioner CREAM! I give my wood a coat of Auto Armor ~ long life polymer sealant.

Fit Genuine Benz floor mats or similar to protect carpets & keep the car immaculate. Then your passengers will respect it & not kick & scratch things. Garage the car when not in use & never wear dirty clothing when driving ~ same for passengers.

Then your leather seats can look like these from my old W203 C240 after 8 years of use before selling to a friend.

Thank you!

That wood Auto Armor thing is a one-time application, or also regularly? Also for the open-pore option, or just the lacquered finishes?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
How do you prevent your passengers from wearing dirty clothes? lol
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by joshg1001
How do you prevent your passengers from wearing dirty clothes? lol
He makes them ride naked.....does result in some burn holes from unexpected violations of his first rule, however.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you!

That wood Auto Armor thing is a one-time application, or also regularly? Also for the open-pore option, or just the lacquered finishes?
The auto armor I do every 5 years on the exterior finish of the car so that I never polish. I do it at the same time on the wood. It lasts that long. It's really for lacquered finishes but won't do any harm to so called open-pore which is still sealed.

I use Maquiar's on the leather because it never makes it shine & leaves it looking original. I have also had success with auto~glym & Gliptone UK products.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spots on wood trim...