C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Crystal Grey MB-Tex + Black Ash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Crystal Grey MB-Tex + Black Ash

Does anyone have this combination? I ordered it without seeing the two put together in person. I like how it looks on the configurator but would like a more real-life example.

Thanks for any hep!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
i don't know about black ash, but the crystal grey looks very nice for interior.
the only thing i'd worry about is if there's young kids or if people like to eat in the car, the car stains may show more obviously. that said, it's mb-tex so should be easy to clean
PL
Old 12-11-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
That is what I ordered. I haven't seen it in real life because it is so rare. That is why I had to order it. I think it will look fantastic - good choice.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6251586
Old 12-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
I'm sure that combination would look excellent in the flesh.

I've gone for Grey Artico/Tex but in the UK, Sport trim only has ghastly old man wood trims as options (burr wallnut or brown fineline). They look like something out of the 1970s

I'd have to go for the AMG line just to get the black ash.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Originally Posted by W124-FTW
I'm sure that combination would look excellent in the flesh.

I've gone for Grey Artico/Tex but in the UK, Sport trim only has ghastly old man wood trims as options (burr wallnut or brown fineline). They look like something out of the 1970s

I'd have to go for the AMG line just to get the black ash.
Appreciate that you have an opinion, but it is based entirely on misperceptions.

Wood trim in cars, was used way way earlier the 1970's. Way way ealier.....

What you call "brown fineline" is in fact Linden wood.

For the interior of new C and S class, Mercedes has embraced Italian and Scandinavian minimalism They also introduced the infusion of woods traditionally used in Scandinavian Furniture design. Ash and Linden woods, both open and closed pored.

A trend started by Volvo a few years ago.

So what you are calling old man style, is in fact crisp contemporary Italian/Scandinavian minimalism.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM

2015 C300
For me no Black Ash is is deal breaker. I would not buy the car without it. I now have the shiny wood in my E-Class - never again. It looks just like plastic - only doesn't hold up as well. Just my opinion...
Old 12-11-2014, 11:04 AM

S205 C200 Sport
What I'm calling 'Brown Fineline' is what Mercedes calls it in the UK. Fact.
Source (Page 45): http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/cur...oon-estate.pdf

My reference to the 1970's didn't relate to a history lesson of car interiors, more that the colour brown was a hit during that decade.

I do like the Black ash though and I think it will greatly appeal to lot of the buyers MB are trying to entice with the C Class.

Apologies if I've offended anyone's taste in car interiors. Must be a generation thing. Each to their own.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 AM

S205
I don't think generations comes into question here. I just dont think you understand the design. Anyone looking for a taste of the 70's would not even consider the new C interior in the first place.

Seeing Burl wood or any brown wood trim in this cars interior, and then seeing it as old man or 70's style is plain wrong. Taste is entirely individual, but design follows a strict set of rules, ideas and intentions.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Eilers
Appreciate that you have an opinion, but it is based entirely on misperceptions.

Wood trim in cars, was used way way earlier the 1970's. Way way ealier.....

For the interior of new C and S class, Mercedes has embraced Italian and Scandinavian minimalism They also introduced the infusion of woods traditionally used in Scandinavian Furniture design. Ash and Linden woods, both open and closed pored.

So what you are calling old man style, is in fact crisp contemporary Italian/Scandinavian minimalism.
+1 ^ This is a typical Scandinavian look.

I have Basalt Grey/Dark ash in my CLK & still get many comments of admiration for the combo.

I don't like Plastic made to look like brushed stainless steel in cars. I think it looks really cheap/low rent with a modern leather interior.
The following users liked this post:
LadyCLA (08-22-2018)
Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 PM

2015 C300
"I don't like Plastic made to look like brushed stainless steel in cars."

Or wood made to look like plastic...
Old 12-11-2014, 02:06 PM

S205
agree with wood over metal bering much nicer.

Sorry to perhaps burst your bubbles, but all switches in the new C is "cold metal touch" plastics. They are not metal.

As Glyn says very scandinavian, but with a layout of the cockpit that is more Italian then German. Recent and older Alfas, plus some vintage and recent Maserati models comes to mind.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-11-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

agree with wood over metal bering much nicer.

Sorry to perhaps burst your bubbles, but all switches in the new C is "cold metal touch" plastics. They are not metal.

As Glyn says very scandinavian, but with a layout of the cockpit that is more Italian then German. Recent and older Alfas, plus some vintage and recent Maserati models comes to mind.
Yep! Too much plastic used these days. Agree on the Italian comments as well. Could almost be a modern Italian boat interior.

Regarding wood looking like plastic. I don't think so. Benz is damned for excellent finish of that wood but those who know wood know what genuine grain looks like.

I like well finished wood.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM

2015 C300
"Sorry to perhaps burst your bubbles, but all switches in the new C is "cold metal touch" plastics. They are not metal."

Yes that is indeed very sad. I would gladly pay extra to get "real" materials...
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM

S205

Here is the pre-production mockup for the C Cabrio interior. Gorgeous use of wood.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 PM

S205
Originally Posted by hpilot
"Sorry to perhaps burst your bubbles, but all switches in the new C is "cold metal touch" plastics. They are not metal."

Yes that is indeed very sad. I would gladly pay extra to get "real" materials...
Yes and no.. I have one such car with genuine metal switches, and the acid in the sweat from human touch, darkens the metal, leaving it less desireable to look at over time, and in need fequenst of restoration.

Selling a modern car after 4-5 years, with optical wear on the switches is not doing anyone any good. The metal touch plastic really orffers the genuine feeling without the drawbacks.. not a bad thing imo!
Old 12-11-2014, 04:22 PM

S205 C200 Sport

Gorgeous use of wood.
Agreed, they've avoided that awful stuff I mentioned in my earlier posting.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:25 PM

S205 C200 Sport
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

I like well finished wood.

I think it might grow on me (might have to give it another 30 years mind you.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Linden wood trim

Linden wood trim is attractive from a distance. However, the Linden trim in the C400 that I test drove, with only 700 km on the odometer, looked very tired. It was obvious to me that this trim does not stand up, being so easily scratched.
The MB dealer was so concerned that he suggested they would not order any more W205 with this trim.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:32 PM

S205
Originally Posted by DerekACS
Linden wood trim is attractive from a distance. However, the Linden trim in the C400 that I test drove, with only 700 km on the odometer, looked very tired. It was obvious to me that this trim does not stand up, being so easily scratched.
The MB dealer was so concerned that he suggested they would not order any more W205 with this trim.
Without saying you invented that story, I find it highly unlikely (to put it mildly) that it would be acurate. Think about it for a moment.. the reactions from owners would be overwhelming if it was to be true. The car has been out with owners since april already.

The car i test drove had 5.400 ish km on it, an the linden wood looked absolutely spotless.

Another AMG edition, i tested, with the Black Piano plastic looked in bad shape though, and there have been quite a bit of noise on forum in europe on this option.

So far i have not seen complaints on the linden wood, other then someone having what looked like airbubbles in the laquer.

Last edited by Eilers; 12-11-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the pre-production mockup for the C Cabrio interior. Gorgeous use of wood.
Very nice. Let's hope it gets into production unscathed.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM

2012 C250 Sport

MB isn't offering the lighter colored Linden wood in the US. =( A shame, really, as I was so looking forward to having a car w/ that....

I don't understand the current fascination w/ lots of metal and carbon fiber (ew) in car interiors. Very peculiar, if you ask me.

Didn't the W205 interior come from MB's Italian design house?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Without saying you invented that story, I find it highly unlikely (to put it mildly) that it would be acurate.
I have owned at least seven different MBs over the past 30 years. I have never seen the wood trim of any nearly brand new Mercedes look as messed-up as the C400 that I test drove. If you don't believe me, that's fine with me. But I do not appreciate your accusation that I 'invented that story' !!!!!!

Last edited by DerekACS; 12-12-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I have the high gloss burl walnut on my C300. Quite frankly, I like the look of the open pore Ash better, but that's only available as part of the complete Sport package here. Without Sport, the choice is Piano Black, a fairly dark Linden, or the Walnut. All three feature a high gloss finish.

I have seen one light scratch in the three months I've owned the car. Dealing with wood finishes all the time, I expect a simple wood wax will easily fix that. As time goes on, I'll keep some wax on the wood to help protect it. If it gets scratched again, I'll fix it with more wax or some light buffing compound. I might even use a pumice solution to take the shine down to what is called an eggshell finish ... something I do very often with high gloss wood finishes. It's all very simple and doesn't take much time, given the small areas that are actually covered in a wood veneer.

I'm not sure how one would treat the Piano Black which is, as I understand it, plastic.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:22 AM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
I have the high gloss burl walnut on my C300. Quite frankly, I like the look of the open pore Ash better, but that's only available as part of the complete Sport package here.
I don't have the sport package, and I ordered Open Pore Ash with no problem (US). See my dealer order sheet here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6251586
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM

S205
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I have owned at least seven different MBs over the past 30 years. I have never seen the wood trim of any nearly brand new Mercedes look as messed-up as the C400 that I test drove. If you don't believe me, that's fine with me. But I do not appreciate your accusation that I 'invented that story' !!!!!!
Please calm down, I wrote the exact opposite, so don't get your shorts all bunched up.

Your implication that your experience should apply to all the cars fitted with this trim, is ridiculous. There would have been a reaction. Besides i called my own dealer today. He told me he have sold dozens of W205 with this trim, not problems reported.

You should imo have taken some reservations when comming here with such a dramatic story. But you didn't which i personally find odd...Reading your story, you sort of get the impression that you really want people to think that there is a general problem. but maybe not..

If you name the Dealer, perhaps some of the Canadian users, would want to invesitgate this at the dealers, he might have valuable information.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crystal Grey MB-Tex + Black Ash