C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Acoustic Glass - First impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by ex190e
I am in the UK, but have looked on Mercedes Ireland web site, where I have been unable to find anything about acoustic glass.

I have enquired to Mercedes Benz UK, but been unable to get any information from them.

Does anyone know if it can be had on a UK new C class?

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content/...onal.0002.html

Look under the 'exterior' paragraph, its listed as 'Heat and noise dampening glass with acoustic film for windscreen and front doors
Acoustic film replaces conventional plastic interlayer in laminated safety glass. This reduces interior noise levels by up to ten dB. The acoustic film is specially designed to deal with high-frequency wind noise and mainly low-frequency engine rumble. '

No such option that I can see on the UK site and the UK dealer confirms not an option when ordering. Why in ireland but not next door in the UK? Madness.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by ManiacGT

Look under the 'exterior' paragraph, its listed as 'Heat and noise dampening glass with acoustic film for windscreen and front doors
Acoustic film replaces conventional plastic interlayer in laminated safety glass. This reduces interior noise levels by up to ten dB. The acoustic film is specially designed to deal with high-frequency wind noise and mainly low-frequency engine rumble. '

No such option that I can see on the UK site and the UK dealer confirms not an option when ordering. Why in ireland but not next door in the UK? Madness.
Cool link! Still no photo there of it. I'm wondering if window is notched at the top.

Very different how cars ordered there. In states, many of these 'options' come standard or part of a package. Example, if you want ambient lights and vented seats, you also get leather and lighted door sis. Some options aren't available.

Then again, part of the blame for that is most US buyers here want cars off of dealers lots rather than patiently ordering an exact build, so they clump together what they think will 'sell' and stock those.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jaguar XF
Acoustic glass - first impressions

I have made an interesting discovery :

"Mercedes UK Media Site
Releases
Car Press Releases
13.3.14 The all new Mercedes C Class
Scroll down to : Road noise is absorbed"
Th final part reads "Optionally available laminated safety glass for the front doors can lower wind noise even further"".

Before coming aware of this, I had asked Mercedes UK customer service about the availability of acoustic glass and got an unhelpful response telling me that privacy glass was available across all model lines and (typically)advising contact with a dealer for further help. This after my expressing doubt that any dealer would be able to help because acoustic glass was not mentioned in their brochure, price list or configurator.

With the new information, I intend to go back to Mercedes customer service
and suggest that it might be helpful if others do, so that they realize that any
demand is widespread.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300

"Mercedes UK Media Site
Releases
Car Press Releases
13.3.14 The all new Mercedes C Class
Scroll down to : Road noise is absorbed"
Th final part reads "Optionally available laminated safety glass for the front doors can lower wind noise even further"".

Before coming aware of this, I had asked Mercedes UK customer service about the availability of acoustic glass and got an unhelpful response telling me that privacy glass was available across all model lines and (typically)advising contact with a dealer for further help. This after my expressing doubt that any dealer would be able to help because acoustic glass was not mentioned in their brochure, price list or configurator.

With the new information, I intend to go back to Mercedes customer service
and suggest that it might be helpful if others do, so that they realize that any
demand is widespread.
The million dollar question is, does the wind rush that sounds like door isn't shut all the way or window down have to do with the absence of this acoustic glass, OR is it seals, gaskets, window rubber, windshield? I honestly do NOT think it's related to glass. Something is causing a distinct, loud noise in the forward and upper doors or windows.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:19 PM

Mercedes C250 Bluetec AMG
Originally Posted by ManiacGT

Irish is made in Germany, UK in SA. German factories always doing the most complete versions where others might not doing some options due to lack of production lines, suppliers, parts, etc.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:20 AM

Jaguar XF
Acoustic glass - first impressions

Originally Posted by kellens
The million dollar question is, does the wind rush that sounds like door isn't shut all the way or window down have to do with the absence of this acoustic glass, OR is it seals, gaskets, window rubber, windshield? I honestly do NOT think it's related to glass. Something is causing a distinct, loud noise in the forward and upper doors or windows.
I agree that the cause is likely to be one or more of those listed (plus possibly the external mirrors) one or more of which may be a design fault, but design faults are not quickly eliminated.

The merit of acoustic glass windows would not be a cure but it would help to minimise the perceived effect: to quote from the helpful submission from ManiacGT "this reduces wind noise by up to ten db", which would be a significant improvement.

Again I suggest that, in addition to debating amongst ourselves, it may be helpful if more people were to raise the matter direct with their local Mercedes HQs (in my case UK), so that they realize that there is widespread concern and may be motivated to provide what should surely be an easy additional provision.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:05 AM

2015 C300 RWD

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-14-2015 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Photos found as requested
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 PM

2015 C300 RWD

Thanks to another poster (Kellens), and another site, I was able to find two pics of the acoustic glass as offered in limited markets. (these are not my photos)

It's laminated, and from top has a notch. Fun to learn about the MB C and it's different configurations.

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-13-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 03-14-2015, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
So, what I really hate about MB is trying to find parts without dealing with a dealership. Seems dealerships can't get the parts or they want an arm and a leg for them. So, if I want to purchase the acoustic side window glass for retro fit in the USA, what are my options?

Also, how is it that Ireland gets to order every single C-class option known to mankind and US buyers are stuck with maybe half the catalog? A regular moonroof and acoustic glass! Damn you, Ireland!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by gocal73
So, what I really hate about MB is trying to find parts without dealing with a dealership. Seems dealerships can't get the parts or they want an arm and a leg for them. So, if I want to purchase the acoustic side window glass for retro fit in the USA, what are my options?

Also, how is it that Ireland gets to order every single C-class option known to mankind and US buyers are stuck with maybe half the catalog? A regular moonroof and acoustic glass! Damn you, Ireland!
Ireland DOES give us some fine beers though.

I'd say it's money and logistics. They would have included it if they thought they would make money and had supplier stock. MBUSA (and other manufacturers) realize the vast majority in USA won't order cars, but settle for what's on dealers' lots, and we trade often. Pre-packaged options reign, but agree, we get left out of some cool stuff on many different cars. We do get relatively low pricing though on cars.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Originally Posted by floridadriver

I'd say it's money and logistics. They would have included it if they thought they would make money and had supplier stock. MBUSA (and other manufacturers) realize the vast majority in USA won't order cars, but settle for what's on dealers' lots, and we trade often. Pre-packaged options reign, but agree, we get left out of some cool stuff on many different cars. We do get relatively low pricing though on cars.

I get your point about pre-packaged options in the US. However, most makes allow you to special order most options not typically found on cars sitting in local inventory. But, what really bothers me about MB is how hard it is to locate parts catalogs and discount pricing on parts. Or, even retail pricing on some items! You want to replace your interior trim in your BMW or Audi, no problem. And companies will stand in line to sell genuine parts to you at discount. Change the trim in your W205? You might as well be searching for a needle in a haystack. Don't get it.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:45 PM

2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by floridadriver

But you can't get all these options in the UK - and the majority of builds here are bespoke builds!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
report on my car delivered last thu code 851 configured:

acoustic glass is a plus, but my feeling ( without any equipment to measure cabin noise) it is in the 15-20% improvement, not more. of course the 300 $ / 250 euro are well spent, however do not expect miracles. last weekend the weather was quite windy here and the wind was still noticeable in the car.

amo
Old 03-16-2015, 04:16 PM

C300
Originally Posted by oachim
report on my car delivered last thu code 851 configured:

acoustic glass is a plus, but my feeling ( without any equipment to measure cabin noise) it is in the 15-20% improvement, not more. of course the 300 $ / 250 euro are well spent, however do not expect miracles. last weekend the weather was quite windy here and the wind was still noticeable in the car.

amo
Congrats on your car and thanks for the report! When you may have time, can you take a couple photos of the glass, or does it look identical to the prototype above?

Does your car have the wind noise while driving very fast at all with some crosswinds, sounds like a 'wind rush or leak' as though window not up all the way or door isn't shut tight towards the front top of the driver and passenger doors? Interested to know if that acoustic glazing helps that or not.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 250cdi 4matic, amg ext/int, 485 suspension
i'll make some photos tomorrow and report back.

regarding the noise, i do not suspect any 'wind leak' or something. to me, this is the way it should be. imo, most of the noise in the cabin comes from the driving train.

amo
Old 03-16-2015, 04:39 PM

C300

regarding the noise, i do not suspect any 'wind leak' or something. to me, this is the way it should be. imo, most of the noise in the cabin comes from the driving train.

amo
Nice! Not many on here with that option. Thanks for posting your reviews.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 PM

C300

amo
Hi Amo,
Any update on how you like the glass? And can you please take a photo of the top of the glass and the stamp in the corner?
Old 03-28-2015, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250, W245 B180CDI
Photos - stamps for front and side window and top of side window

front window

side window

side window
Old 03-28-2015, 04:54 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Cool pics WoWro, thanks for posting. The glass on top has the noticeable notch on the top where sandwiched. Overall width looks identical to the other glass. How do you like it?

I think the "XI" above the E1 is also their marking for acoustic glazing. I know E1 means it was manufactured in Germany. Although MBUSA didn't option this for USA for the W205, in the the states "laminate" is always marked on the glass corners in cars with it, in this case they may put "AG laminate" or similar for acoustic. Not that the rescue squad would stop to read it, but important to know in an emergency they're not windows you can punch or kick out and it has to be sawed. If ever stuck, your egress would be the back windows.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250, W245 B180CDI
I think that I'm satisfied. It is difficult to judge if you cannot direct compare two cars. Firs time I drove W205 (C200 test car, without acoustic glass) I feel that it is not much quieter than my old W245 (B180CDI). When I received my C250 (three months later) with acoustic glass I think it is not quitter than tested C200, but now I feel very comfortable in it. Driving it long distances I feel not tired – now I think that it is much quieter than my od B180CDI (I keep that car for wife so I can direct compare that two cars). The same told my passenger that it is quieter and more comfortable.
I think that problem is that is very difficult to assess the volume of the car, especially when you really try to judge that. Then you are very sensitive on volume and you can fell that is louder than it really is.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 AM

C300
Originally Posted by WoWro
Photos - stamps for front and side window and top of side window

front window

side window

side window
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM

C220d Avantgarde

Before coming aware of this, I had asked Mercedes UK customer service about the availability of acoustic glass and got an unhelpful response telling me that privacy glass was available across all model lines and (typically)advising contact with a dealer for further help.
He did not know the difference between privacy glass and the laminated "acoustic" version? Shouldn't he be selling KIA's?