C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Consumer Reports - short video review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Consumer Reports - short video review

Just noticed CR posted a short video review on their homepage. For some reason it's not linked to the review posted when you research the C Class.

It pretty much mimics the previous review, saying it shadows the S Class and the curved lines make it almost feminine and that the cabin is stunning.

It knocked the car for the complex/distracting Command system and mentioned not everyone likes the iPad like screen. It also mentions reduced visibility.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Just noticed CR posted a short video review on their homepage. For some reason it's not linked to the review posted when you research the C Class.
I don't see the video review anywhere on the site. =(
Old 12-23-2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by alsyli
I don't see the video review anywhere on the site. =(
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm
Even without signing in, I am able to see it.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 728 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Note: the "fun car to drive" tested doesn't even have the sport package which gives it significantly better brakes, wider tires on the rear, lower profile tires, and obviously no airmatic, ergo, he was driving the clumsiest of all the c series!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Note: the "fun car to drive" tested doesn't even have the sport package which gives it significantly better brakes, wider tires on the rear, lower profile tires, and obviously no airmatic, ergo, he was driving the clumsiest of all the c series!
Brake size is the same ... the Sport gets the perforations and painted calipers.

All models use staggered tire sizes, with wider ones in the rear. The 18" option on the base uses the same tire and wheel sizes as the Sport.

All reviewers who tested Airmatic, regardless of whether they liked it or not, felt it offered more flexibility and comfort. I have not seen any mention of improved skid pad numbers or handling prowess ... in fact, some felt it offered a less precise handling feel.

Most testers actually preferred the lighter and more agile feel of the C300, and none have described the base suspension as "the clumsiest of all the C series."

CR used a standard C300 because that is the one most likely to be purchased by its readers ... and CR thought the base car handled very well and was fun to drive. I don't see this as a negative, and it agrees with every other test I've read. It also matches the experience with my own base suspension C300, which feels anything but clumsy on the road.

Last edited by StanNH; 12-24-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Thanks for posting...seems the car continues to be well received. Not really that sporty of one in any form, but probably the class leading luxury cruiser in the segment.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I find testing base models of a car always seems more honest. You get in touch with the true DNA of the vehicle without any distractions.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
Brake size is the same ... the Sport gets the perforations and painted calipers.

All models use staggered tire sizes, with wider ones in the rear. The 18" option on the base uses the same tire and wheel sizes as the Sport.

All reviewers who tested Airmatic, regardless of whether they liked it or not, felt it offered more flexibility and comfort. I have not seen any mention of improved skid pad numbers or handling prowess ... in fact, some felt it offered a less precise handling feel.

Most testers actually preferred the lighter and more agile feel of the C300, and none have described the base suspension as "the clumsiest of all the C series."

CR used a standard C300 because that is the one most likely to be purchased by its readers ... and CR thought the base car handled very well and was fun to drive. I don't see this as a negative, and it agrees with every other test I've read. It also matches the experience with my own base suspension C300, which feels anything but clumsy on the road.

Stan on the sport package the front rotors are not only perforated, they are also larger. In addition the front calipers are 4 piston while on the non sport package they are only one piston. Of the sport package this is the only significant performance difference aside from the different suspension "calibration" which probably entails firmer shocks and suspension bushings, the rest of the stuff is just for looks.
If you look at the video, the car they tested has same width tires all around, I would guess its a "base" model. like you, I thought all had staggered tires but the video seems to show otherwise, I could be wrong though. Clumsiest is a relative term, you would expect the non "sport" suspension set-up (with differently calibrated shocks and bushings) to be the "clumsiest" within a group that is not clumsy to begin with. I'm not ragging on the C300 at all since I bought the car after testing a 300 and was very impressed by its moves. I'm just pointing out that CR was trilled by the handling of what is, for all purposes, the least best handling version of the C series. Ergo, if they were thrilled by that one they should have been ecstatic with the higher performance versions (sport suspension or airmatic). By the way I'm going to quash that little internet fantasy about handling of the C400, with airmatic (the version Ive driven and finally had delivered) the handling is as good if not better plus its also more comfortable than the regular sport suspension and that's with snow tires, at least in everyday driving. Airmatic simply delivers. Again, that doesn't make the regular steel setup any less desirable. Unfortunately, for me the ultimate hard driving handling impressions will have to wait till spring

Last edited by c4004matic; 12-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I find testing base models of a car always seems more honest. You get in touch with the true DNA of the vehicle without any distractions.
No argument there!
The DNA of the C series is good to the core.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The base car gets 225x45/R17's up front, and 245x40/R17's in the back. My specs show all C300's with 12.99" front brakes, all C400's with 13.46. (I don't have the C300 Sport specs.) All rear brakes are the same at 11.81".

I don't think the CR test results would be significantly different regardless of which C300 variant was tested. The C400, if tested, would yield better acceleration numbers and lower fuel mileage numbers. Ultimately, the car is what it is, and no change in configuration would dramatically alter the results of the CR testing.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
The base car gets 225x45/R17's up front, and 245x40/R17's in the back. My specs show all C300's with 12.99" front brakes, all C400's with 13.46. (I don't have the C300 Sport specs.) All rear brakes are the same at 11.81".

I don't think the CR test results would be significantly different regardless of which C300 variant was tested. The C400, if tested, would yield better acceleration numbers and lower fuel mileage numbers. Ultimately, the car is what it is, and no change in configuration would dramatically alter the results of the CR testing.

Completely agree. It can't get any better than their highest ranked compact sport sedan. The only one a point higher is the diesel version of the previous C. We must remember CR gives big points for FE which is why often diesel or hybrid versions of the same car score slightly higher.

Remember the C400 brakes are larger because they the sport package is standard.

Something a lot of people fail to understand is that the V6 is really a less than 3000 dollar "option" since the 400 includes a lot of goodies that are optional on the 300. With a difference of 90 HP and 80 lbs of torque its a bargain.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD

Correct. Thanks for providing accurate info Stan. It would have been cool IMO to have CR compare the line up, suspensions, engines, but to have them ONLY test the C400 considering it's low sales numbers and short tenure wouldn't have been as useful.

Either way, great write up, and now we just have to hope when the 'reliability' box fills up red and reliable for all of our sakes
Old 12-24-2014, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Correct. Thanks for providing accurate info Stan. It would have been cool IMO to have CR compare the line up, suspensions, engines, but to have them ONLY test the C400 considering it's low sales numbers and short tenure wouldn't have been as useful.

Either way, great write up, and now we just have to hope when the 'reliability' box fills up red and reliable for all of our sakes
Unfortunately a single non red dot on a new car will show a fat black dot on overall reliability New cars have gotten so reliable in general, that even a minor but more or less common through the range fault will reflect badly on overall reliability. However that issue resolves itself as the years pass and all other vehicles start popping up their own gremlins.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C250 Sport
Thanks, I see it now. All the way on the right-hand side of the page. ::sigh::

Stan, not all auto mags have praised Airmatic. I actually think Motor Trend specifically said that it hurt the car during their COTY testing b/c of an odd pogo motion during track maneuvers.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Does anyone know of a professional review where they tested the different suspensions and compared them? Not just talking about the car in general or comparing it to the Beamer 3.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by HelenR
Does anyone know of a professional review where they tested the different suspensions and compared them? Not just talking about the car in general or comparing it to the Beamer 3.
Unfortunately none that I have seen. Furthermore, there are not many airmatic equipped cars at dealers. You will have better luck with sport vs non sport versions. The fact is that the differences are subtle, all of them are excellent. The main advantage of the air suspension is the ability to choose between top comfort and top performance or a great blend of both.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 PM

When talking to my salesman he said the Luxury version of the C300 does not use staggered tires, if the car is ordered with the 17" tires. I checked the on-line manual (starting on page 388) and it appears he was correct.

But I don't know if adding the Airmatic would change that.

Anyone ordering/purchasing a Luxury version may want to know.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
When talking to my salesman he said the Luxury version of the C300 does not use staggered tires, if the car is ordered with the 17" tires. I checked the on-line manual (starting on page 388) and it appears he was correct.

I don't know much on the cars yet, other than a ton of research, but this one I checked. Air suspension is the exact same across the line. The tires for each model would though stay the same as their standard suspension sisters. The luxury on aromatic would feel softer than one on 19" for example, though the air system the same.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

As I said in the video the tires 'look" identical.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
BTW the tire thing was still bugging me so I looked it up in the manual. Base cars with 17 inch rims are not staggered they use the same rims all around: page 293 of owners manual. Also as pointed out previously the sport option does indeed have larger rotors. The car in this report, compared to sport models, was both under-tired and under-braked: if a sport model had been tested, its already excellent performance would have been even better.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:03 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by c4004matic
BTW the tire thing was still bugging me so I looked it up in the manual. Base cars with 17 inch rims are not staggered they use the same rims all around: page 293 of owners manual. Also as pointed out previously the sport option does indeed have larger rotors. The car in this report, compared to sport models, was both under-tired and under-braked: if a sport model had been tested, its already excellent performance would have been even better.

None of this post is correct, except the rim size is the same as noted in the manual. Tire size front to back on standard is staggered on the vehicle I test drove Tuesday which was the standard suspension. None of the models are under-tired or under-braked, and the C400 didn't have the stopping feel of the C300, likely from the extra pounds.

Last edited by HelenR; 12-26-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Obviously, I'm researching C300. So I'm confused. Do some Luxury trim have staggered wheels in W205? One of the great things about the Luxury line in W204 is that you get the same size wheels all around. And based on cursory research, I thought it was the same for W205. This is very important to the few of us that prefer the Lux trim.

Another question. If you have the C300 with steel suspension (in base or Lux), does the Agility Control now control the suspension as well as transmission/throttle? Does it effectively REPLACE the E/S button I have in my W204? On mine, it just controls the transmission and gas pedal "feel." If it controls the suspension....how does it do that if it's not Airmatic? How do you change the settings of steel springs via an electronic button? Assuming it changes the steering "feel" since it's electric now?

I am happy to see that you can get Premium Pack and Multimedia WITHOUT panoramic sunroof!

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spyked
Obviously, I'm researching C300. So I'm confused. Do some Luxury trim have staggered wheels in W205? One of the great things about the Luxury line in W204 is that you get the same size wheels all around. And based on cursory research, I thought it was the same for W205. This is very important to the few of us that prefer the Lux trim.

The Luxury and base models I drove all had staggered tire sizes, but I don't know about wheel sizes or if this depends on whether or not the Premium package is on the car.

Another question. If you have the C300 with steel suspension (in base or Lux), does the Agility Control now control the suspension as well as transmission/throttle? Assuming it changes the steering "feel" since it's electric now?

No, Agility has no effect on the suspension. The various modes do effect steering feel, climate control, shift points, and the throttle. You need Airmatic for it to work with the suspension.

I am happy to see that you can get Premium Pack and Multimedia WITHOUT panoramic sunroof!

Panoramic roof is a standalone option.
Hope this helps sort out some of the confusion.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota

You're right, and I knew the other guy was dead wrong. I just drove my 2nd C300 today, and verified to my 20/20 vision it was that exact tire set up too. The same for air suspension and standard. I have not driven the "Luxury package/soft suspension" one yet, but I understand it's wheels are 225/50R17's all around, for a little more sidewall and cushioning from pot holes...though I haven't seen it for myself on the car.

Last edited by HelenR; 12-26-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 W204, 2015 X204
Hope this helps sort out some of the confusion.
It does, thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports - short video review