C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Driving it home

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Benz wasted time trying to make the C Class a 3 Series & BMW softened the 3 to be more like a Benz. Both mistakes & a dilution of Brand.

Benz has returned to it's roots & DNA ~ building luxury motorcars. That is their brand positioning. The fact that they allow the level of configuration is a bonus.

AMG is the performance brand.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C class Coupe 250 CDI
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Benz wasted time trying to make the C Class a 3 Series & BMW softened the 3 to be more like a Benz. Both mistakes & a dilution of Brand.

Benz has returned to it's roots & DNA ~ building luxury motorcars. That is their brand positioning. The fact that they allow the level of configuration is a bonus.

AMG is the performance brand.

That is true. C class should stop trying to beat 3 series in its own game. it should have its own identity and offer something different to what 3 series offers. however I do also think that as more technologies are bundled into cars, this might suit Mercedes a bit more than BMW since Beemers are losing their driving purity somewhat and that is where most complaints seems to be originating as their cars are getting heavier and bigger and all these electronic aids somehow interfere with a pure driving experience.

Last edited by Sol01; 12-28-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Why lock up on one path when you could have both? I think the agility select system is great and will let you choose the type of ride you want with the flick of a switch.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Originally Posted by vic viper
Why lock up on one path when you could have both? I think the agility select system is great and will let you choose the type of ride you want with the flick of a switch.
Exactly. I was very impressed with the distinct difference in ride/performance that agility select allowed when I toggled through the various settings. In some other cars with similar systems you'd be hard pressed to notice any changes.

As far as luxury vs performance goes, I think Mercedes has struck a bit of a sweet spot with the C (equipped as I drove it) and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. For the money that I'll be spending this coming year I'm expecting nothing less than competence under almost any condition that I'll throw at the car which for me will include at least 1 HPDE event/year at Watkins Glen.

Now that requirement might be a bit of a stretch but I participate in these to sharpen my driving skills and learn the limits of my cars, not to "race". There are lots of participants with the same goals in mind and there's no requirement that you have to drive an AMG or an M car (although it helps lol). But I think that you at least have to have a car that's highly competent and won't scare the day lights out of you when pushed well beyond our daily driving requirements. Based on my extended driving impression of the C400, I think it'd work out just fine. And it would get you to the track and back home again in pretty fine style and comfort. The C450 might up the ante slightly so that'd be my bonus.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:21 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by Mark's M
I participate in these to sharpen my driving skills and learn the limits of my cars, not to "race". There are lots of participants with the same goals in mind and there's no requirement that you have to drive an AMG or an M car (although it helps lol). But I think that you at least have to have a car that's highly competent and won't scare the day lights out of you when pushed well beyond our daily driving requirements.
I wish more people would think like you. Honestly, they should make that type of experience mandatory for young drivers especially who are yet to learn what you can get away with in a vehicle. No amounts of high tech wizardry will save you from the experience of loosing car control in a safe environment.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DBOC205
I wish more people would think like you. Honestly, they should make that type of experience mandatory for young drivers especially who are yet to learn what you can get away with in a vehicle. No amounts of high tech wizardry will save you from the experience of loosing car control in a safe environment.
+1^ ~ even at my age I redo my advanced driver training every 2 years. Track, skidpan & all. It's fun & keeps you sharp.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
+1^ ~ even at my age I redo my advanced driver training every 2 years. Track, skidpan & all. It's fun & keeps you sharp.
After reading your post Glyn I re-completed my advanced driver training from 10 years ago. Thanks for a good reminder.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Oh wow! good for you. I'm afraid SA has shocking death toll statistics on our roads. I try to protect myself & others by trying to remain as competent as possible & practice defensive driving. When I lived in Dallas & later the Bay Area, Marin County ~ I always found US drivers more relaxed than mad, aggressive South Africans. Road rage is all too common here.