C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Question about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Stan, I take my "that's normal" comment back after seeing your pics. Good lord, I've never seen anything like that....anywhere. I had what I think Glyn described quite nicely but it went away as he stated it would.

I can understand your frustration - outrage?- and I'd be equally pissy at the thought of having the seat covers replaced on a new car.

I'm trying to bite my tongue and let me know if I'm out of line but...wtf is wrong with this new C-Class???? Is this another Alabama QC or supplier issue or is it global (I can't interpret the origin of the tech bulletin)? I see that the MB bulletin suggests that inventoried cars get a wash with warm, soapy water before delivery. I'm confused because I assume you've done this multiple times already?? If so, and considering your pics are worth a thousand words, will other new owners experience the same problem and the same "don't worry, we'll replace your seat covers" solution?

All I can say is "Wow". And I sympathize of course. Looking forward to hearing about your resolution.
I'm with you...this is just a disaster and also wonder if the dealer washing the seat covers is just a temporary solution. Then they sell the car and wait for the customer to complain, and then replace the covers.

If the TSB is 12/19/14, I can't imagine they have already manufactured new and improved replacement covers yet.

Or maybe it was just a bad batch that went out about the time Stan took possession of his car.

Last edited by PeteInGilroy; 01-04-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: corrected date
Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Those pictures are unacceptable. Stan, I would be livid. Am I the only one who immediately went out to examine their own car after seeing that.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Since the TSB wasn't issued until late December, and it states a solution is still pending, it looks like a lot of US production cars may have gone out with defective MB-Tex. Apparently, cold weather leaches the oily substance out of the vinyl, then warm temperatures in the cabin evaporate it and leave the white residue behind. The white stuff feels like lanolin and you can rub it off with a fingernail, but it does leave a dark stain behind.

Yeah, I'm upset and very angry right now. I'm reaching the conclusion that Alabama is a QC black hole, and someone in charge of QC should be fired. Doesn't anyone test this stuff before it goes into production cars?

My salesman already emailed me back and will bring my pictures and the TSB to the service department first thing in the morning. I'll try to get new seats, and will also ask for an extended warranty as a comp. I will update this thread as things develop. Now I just need to take a deep breath and have some Jack Daniels.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Holy moly....best of luck facing the dealership
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
Since the TSB wasn't issued until late December, and it states a solution is still pending, it looks like a lot of US production cars may have gone out with defective MB-Tex. Apparently, cold weather leaches the oily substance out of the vinyl, then warm temperatures in the cabin evaporate it and leave the white residue behind. The white stuff feels like lanolin and you can rub it off with a fingernail, but it does leave a dark stain behind.

Yeah, I'm upset and very angry right now. I'm reaching the conclusion that Alabama is a QC black hole, and someone in charge of QC should be fired. Doesn't anyone test this stuff before it goes into production cars?

My salesman already emailed me back and will bring my pictures and the TSB to the service department first thing in the morning. I'll try to get new seats, and will also ask for an extended warranty as a comp. I will update this thread as things develop. Now I just need to take a deep breath and have some Jack Daniels.
I'm more of a Ketel One guy, but in this case I will definitely join you with a Jack Daniels.

How about asking the dealer to upgrade you to leather?
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
What a mess. Unacceptable. Make it the dealer's problem. That's not on!

BTW ~ That is an official MBUSA TSB Number.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-04-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I'm so sorry about that Stan. You've gotta be getting up there with days out of service. Your call after all the dust settles, but I'd be considering asking them to buy it back.

http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/...#Whats-a-Lemon
Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Rocman8
Topic number
LI91.18-P-060470

Complaint
Oily, shiny surface or white residues on MB-Tex seat covers

Cause

• In cold weather the surface of the MB-Tex can appear oily or shiny (IMG_2055.jpg, IMG_2058.jpg)
  • When the material warms up again, the substance evaporates and this can result in white edges on the surface (IMG_2054.jpg)
Remedy

1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.

2) For vehicles in dealer inventory

Please clean the seats with warm soapy water solution (do not use aggressive cleaning agents) before releasing to customer.

A final resolution is currently under development, this LI will be updated accordingly.
Very kind of you to post, how can we access all the TSBs?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 C350, '13 GLK250
I hope there are some sharp, forum-following automotive reviewers out there who'll take advantage of the upcoming Detroit auto show to corner an MB exec or two and ask the tough questions that might need to be asked right about now.

Not looking for a vindictive media slam but rather a bit of public accountability in terms of the W205 issues brought to light in the MBWorld threads that seem, for the most part, related to Alabama production. As I said in another thread, the "problems" identified by forum members are probably a fair representation of the problems being experienced by current owners throughout North America. If this admittedly broad statement is even close to being correct, Mercedes needs to act quickly and firmly to avoid word of mouth damage that shoddy build quality/shoddy QC can do to such a brilliant car IMO.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by floridadriver
I'm so sorry about that Stan. You've gotta be getting up there with days out of service. Your call after all the dust settles, but I'd be considering asking them to buy it back.

http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/...#Whats-a-Lemon
30 days out of service or 3 strikes on fixing a defect. I'm still not close to that but I will put them on notice that I will pursue that option if this continues.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
30 days out of service or 3 strikes on fixing a defect. I'm still not close to that but I will put them on notice that I will pursue that option if this continues.
All of you in the U.S. are very fortunate to have such a law. It actually seems to have teeth based on what I've read about it over the years. I hope you don't have to use it though.

No such luck here in Canada, vehicle replacement is mostly a "good will" gesture once you've spent about a lifetime arguing your case and on top of that are fortunate enough to have the solid support of a dealership behind you.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Maybe better to not bring it up to the dealer, but keep the option up your sleeve for use if needed. Wouldn't want the dealer to rush and do a half *** job repairing your car because they are worried about the 30 day timeline.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 PM

2015 C300
I've been creeping around these forums for about a month now after taking possession of my 2015 C300 in mid-December and learning a lot from everyone. Last week I noticed this same issue on my seats, particularly the rear ones. I quickly came and looked all over the forum and Google but found nothing. I had thought and hoped that maybe the dealership had cleaned the seats with an aftermarket product and it was just wearing off uneven. The OP pictures inspired me to register as this is a serious concern. I wiped down all the shiny spots with a damp microfiber towel and they haven't returned but it's been unseasonably warm in Pittsburgh the last few days. With single digit temperatures returning this week I'm anxious to see if the blotches reappear. If they do, I will quickly be firing an e-mail with the link to this forum to the dealership requesting the seats be replaced and upgraded with leather.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:58 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by PittsburghBenz
I've been creeping around these forums for about a month now after taking possession of my 2015 C300 in mid-December and learning a lot from everyone. Last week I noticed this same issue on my seats, particularly the rear ones. I quickly came and looked all over the forum and Google but found nothing. I had thought and hoped that maybe the dealership had cleaned the seats with an aftermarket product and it was just wearing off uneven. The OP pictures inspired me to register as this is a serious concern. I wiped down all the shiny spots with a damp microfiber towel and they haven't returned but it's been unseasonably warm in Pittsburgh the last few days. With single digit temperatures returning this week I'm anxious to see if the blotches reappear. If they do, I will quickly be firing an e-mail with the link to this forum to the dealership requesting the seats be replaced and upgraded with leather.
Welcome to the forum! I foresee them replacing a bunch of seats once the word gets out and winter really hits later this month and in February. I'm not sure that they should recall affected cars, rather than wait for people to complain if they're in cold weather.

Oy Vay Mercedes. You can't say MBTex is a 'new product issue' either. Terrible QA and overemphasis on pushing them out fast and cheap. Proof is in the photos.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 PM
pek

c300
Here I was in blissful ignorance about my new c300 until I joined these forums. I hope since my c300 isn't being built until the next production run, they have the 'fixed' mb-tex for mine (or I change my order to real leather, not sure). I'm in Memphis, so not much cold weather here (of course, we even had snow once here last year!), and by the time I get mine, it will be mostly over. I will be keeping an eye out for the crap on my windows, though. Does regular ammonia/water get it off easily? I was looking to get that uv blocking film on my windows as soon as I can get it on, plus maybe the vpex(?) for the front end paint.

pek

Last edited by pek; 01-04-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
MBTex seat covers

StanNH:

Wow ! Having driven for over 50 years, I have never seen ANY new car, let alone a Mercedes, with seat covers that looked as horrid as yours !!! It's an inexcusable defect in manufacturing ! Those seat covers really look vile !!!

I wonder if these MBTex seat covers are made in the US or whether its a more widespread problem that includes the German built cars ?

If it were my car, I would request a no cost upgrade to leather seats, which are, IMO, more comfortable, both in winter and summer.

Last edited by DerekACS; 01-04-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by DerekACS
StanNH:

Wow ! Having driven for over 50 years, I have never seen ANY new car, let alone a Mercedes, with seat covers that looked as horrid as yours !!! It's an inexcusable defect in manufacturing ! Those seat covers really look vile !!!

I wonder if these MBTex seat covers are made in the US or whether its a more widespread problem that includes the German built cars ?

If it were my car, I would request a no cost upgrade to leather seats, which are, IMO, more comfortable, both in winter and summer.
I don't know exactly how parts are procured by auto manufacturers, but I wonder if the company that made the seat covers somehow tried to save money by altering the Mercedes specifications and ended up making a defective product.

And, I also wonder if this defect is limited to just the C Class, all vehicles made in Vance, AL, or all 2015 MB vehicles.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I don't think its really as simple as forgetting to wipe down the mb tex with a "special" cleaner before delivery. There has to be something wrong with the manufacturing process. It is not like MB tex is new to alabama, most MLs leave with MB tex too and some here were hard pressed to find any past issues.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 PM

2007 e320 Bluetec
Absolutely ridiculous for Mercedes! I would take it back and have them install real leather. Mine has MB Tex but I got it pre-owned and must have missed out on all this nonsense. It already has a previous repair on the left lower bolster of my seat; if it spreads, I will take it to Katzkin and have them install their leather, unless I can find a correct factory leather interior out of a wrecked Mercedes or else get a reasonable price on factory leather seat covers.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by joshg1001
I don't think its really as simple as forgetting to wipe down the mb tex with a "special" cleaner before delivery. There has to be something wrong with the manufacturing process. It is not like MB tex is new to alabama, most MLs leave with MB tex too and some here were hard pressed to find any past issues.
Good point...no special cleaner (or warm soapy water...indicated in the TSB) would resolve this issue as that method would only be applied to the surface of the seats. This problem is leaching from the material...and who know if it is also leaching on the underside.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I don't know exactly how parts are procured by auto manufacturers, but I wonder if the company that made the seat covers somehow tried to save money by altering the Mercedes specifications and ended up making a defective product.

And, I also wonder if this defect is limited to just the C Class, all vehicles made in Vance, AL, or all 2015 MB vehicles.
Having owned about 7 MBs since 1984, all with leather seats, I have never encountered any defects with the seats. I have also driven a good number of loaner MBs with MBTex, none of which showed any issues resembling the seats in StanNH's car. MBTex has a very good reputation for longevity, but obviously these seats are defective. The appearance of StanNH's seats is simply jaw-dropping. I would really like to know where those defective seat covers were made !

If I were StanNH, I would immediately write a letter to the President of MBUSA, enclosing photos of his MBTex seats, asking him if this is the kind of quality by which Mercedes wishes to be known ?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I wonder if this is a US problem, I cannot find a TSB in my system covering this issue, also I have never seen it in real life, and we do have pretty cold weather during winters.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
I'm more of a Ketel One guy, but in this case I will definitely join you with a Jack Daniels.

How about asking the dealer to upgrade you to leather?
I could be wrong, but I think this would be an issue on leather seats as well. The C class likely only has the "seating surfaces" (whatever is perforated) in real leather. The rest of the surfaces and coverings are probably just MB Tex as well.

Stan - good luck to you on getting this resolved. This absolutely looks disgusting and is unacceptable. I would be livid as well based on all the "little" issues you've faced since ownership. It's especially disappointing that these quality issues are happening with MB on a $40k-60k+ car.

After reading through your issues and other common issues that others have faced, I've honestly gone from really excited about my upcoming delivery to almost dreading what kind of QC issues will crop up in my car. As others have mentioned, MB Tex is not new. A number of these quality issues shouldn't be happening regardless of whether it's a first year model or not. It indicates carelessness and cutting corners. Whether it's warranted or not, my personal bias against "built in USA" and locally sourced parts seems to be further validated.

/rant.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
OMG! I looked back at your car build. Yours is a commonly found build on every dealer's lot, not custom. I WOULD NOT let them fix your seats, especially as you've had other problems.

I would ask your dealer manager to conference call you with MBUSA and demand a new vehicle. Period! Maybe one on your dealers lot they can deliver to you.

There is no way NOT to involve MBUSA and Alabama plant managers with this. Don't let them just change your seats or handle at the dealer. Then what, seat heater acts goofy in a year, little rattles after that? Your car is still a baby.

I still wouldn't touch that car after this number of concerns in a matter of few months even with a 100 year 1,000,000 mile free warranty. The factory and Mercedes oversight of it let you down. Mercedes Benz needs to be made aware and fire a few hundred people over your car alone.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 AM

A180 / On order S205
This is just horrible and I really feel for your Stan this is totally not acceptable for a car in the segment and price range. I would say it is not acceptable at any price range or brand for that matter when it comes to a new car like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about MB-Tex