C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Question about MB-Tex

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Question about MB-Tex

I'm having an odd issue with the MB-Tex. Twice now, there have been large areas of a glossy film that have appeared on the MB-Tex material. It looks almost like an oil coming out of the material. I've seen it on the seating areas and the headrests. The appearance is one of mottled areas of glossy and flat material on the seats. It wipes right off with a damp cloth and leaves nothing behind.

The first time I noticed it was right after a dealer visit, so I thought it was something they had sprayed on the interior. Now, two months later, it just came back.

Has anyone heard of this before? If it's not a known issue, I'll go back to my original assumption that the dealer sprayed something in the car. Why it's recurred after all this time is somewhat of a mystery though.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Interesting you should post this today, I noticed it on the seats of my C300, the same oily spots last night. The first time I have seen this since getting the car a month and half ago
Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adyment
Interesting you should post this today, I noticed it on the seats of my C300, the same oily spots last night. The first time I have seen this since getting the car a month and half ago
Is your car a US build? I sure hope this isn't going to turn out to be another one of those US only problems.

I'll call my dealer Monday and ask if they do, in fact, spray the interior with some leather treatment. If that's the case, why would the sides of the headrests also show this oily seepage? I am really puzzled by this.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If it's not a spray thats been used then it's likely plasticiser leaching out of the vinyl. How much sun exposure are these cars getting?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If it's not a spray thats been used then it's likely plasticiser leaching out of the vinyl. How much sun exposure are these cars getting?
Sun is not an issue at all, especially during our winter months. Maybe cold temperatures? Something is definitely leaching out of the vinyl.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Lack of sun exposure might be why it is staying on the seats. Usually plasticiser (volatiles) leach out distributes itself all over the interior of the car & leaves an easily removable goo on all the windows much like smoking in a car does.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
I had this exact issue, and noticed it while I was at the dealer; it's a known issue where the factory is supposed to wipe down the seats with a special solvent before they leave the factory. Apparently, that wasn't always done, so they instructed the dealerships to do so before delivery. Apparently, that also wasn't always done.

It hasn't come back for me, but it's only been a couple of days.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lack of sun exposure might be why it is staying on the seats. Usually plasticiser (volatiles) leach out distributes itself all over the interior of the car & leaves an easily removable goo on all the windows much like smoking in a car does.
Interesting. I've had to clean the interior glass three times already due to film on them. This causes fogging, especially in our cold weather.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:42 AM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Yes it's normal Stan. My C350 was a summer delivery and it came and went fairly quickly due to the heat...a few weeks and a few wipe downs later never to return. Ah the joys of plastic!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mark's M
Yes it's normal Stan. My C350 was a summer delivery and it came and went fairly quickly due to the heat...a few weeks and a few wipe downs later never to return. Ah the joys of plastic!!
It sure doesn't look normal to me ... I've never seen this before on any car and it is really awful looking. I know all about glass film from vinyl, but I've never seen the seats leaching out like this.

gnus's comment, "I had this exact issue, and noticed it while I was at the dealer; it's a known issue where the factory is supposed to wipe down the seats with a special solvent before they leave the factory. Apparently, that wasn't always done, so they instructed the dealerships to do so before delivery. Apparently, that also wasn't always done.," may be the root of this.

Monday, I'll give MB-USA a call and then follow up with my dealer. I'm guessing it will resolve itself anyway after a few cleanings, so I may just take some pictures to document it, then wait and see if it comes back again.

I really do like my C300, it's a truly exceptional AWD sedan, but it is feeling more and more like I bought a kit car that I have to finish myself. This is my first Mercedes, and certainly compared to my experiences with BMW, Audi, and Porsche, I am somewhat disappointed with both the factory QC and the dealer support I've gotten so far.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

I've never seen it on MBTex in SA but MBTex is not very common as most Mercs here are leather. We import the MBTex we use from Germany (Taxi Leder).

W204 gave some trouble with MBTex delaminating & cracking. Maybe they've decided to give it an increased dose of volatiles or maybe it is a local supplier.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

W204 MBTex:

Old 01-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
I've LONG wondered what caused this, mostly on new cars. Good info to know!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
I've had my car for a month now and in the last week I've also noticed a shiny spot appearing on one of the seats. I knows its not caused by take-out food or anything as I don't eat in the car.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's getting much, much worse now. This is what it looked like this morning.

These pictures were just emailed to my salesman with a mention of just how disgusted I am with this. I'm sure I'll hear back tomorrow.

Now, I am getting really upset. I did spend an hour scrubbing the front seat with warm water and a mild detergent. Most of it came off, but you could still see the outline of the stains.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-04-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Try cleaning a test spot with one part Woolite and 6 parts water (I would use purified water).
Old 01-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Try cleaning a test spot with one part Woolite and 6 parts water (I would use purified water).
The more I think about it, I would take the car to the dealer and tell them to give you a loaner and fix the problem. I've never seen anything so bad.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
The more I think about it, I would take the car to the dealer and tell them to give you a loaner and fix the problem. I've never seen anything so bad.
They are two hours away and I will insist they pick the car up and leave another C300 as a loaner. This is inexcusable in any car, let alone a Mercedes.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
They are two hours away and I will insist they pick the car up and leave another C300 as a loaner. This is inexcusable in any car, let alone a Mercedes.
That's an even better idea!! Can't wait to hear the cause of this.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Topic number
LI91.18-P-060470

Complaint
Oily, shiny surface or white residues on MB-Tex seat covers

Cause

• In cold weather the surface of the MB-Tex can appear oily or shiny (IMG_2055.jpg, IMG_2058.jpg)
  • When the material warms up again, the substance evaporates and this can result in white edges on the surface (IMG_2054.jpg)
Remedy

1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.

2) For vehicles in dealer inventory

Please clean the seats with warm soapy water solution (do not use aggressive cleaning agents) before releasing to customer.

A final resolution is currently under development, this LI will be updated accordingly.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Airforce 1
Thats terrible. Looks disgusting.

This is my W212 Artico after 4½ years.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rocman8
Topic number
LI91.18-P-060470

Complaint
Oily, shiny surface or white residues on MB-Tex seat covers

Cause

• In cold weather the surface of the MB-Tex can appear oily or shiny (IMG_2055.jpg, IMG_2058.jpg)
  • When the material warms up again, the substance evaporates and this can result in white edges on the surface (IMG_2054.jpg)
Remedy

1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.

2) For vehicles in dealer inventory

Please clean the seats with warm soapy water solution (do not use aggressive cleaning agents) before releasing to customer.

A final resolution is currently under development, this LI will be updated accordingly.
Wow! Thank you for this information. I assume this is a Technical Service Bulletin. Do you have any idea of the date of this TSB?

I will forward this to my dealer. I assume they'll have my car for several days to take care of this

Thank you very much!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Wow, that's really strange. Based on the post above you get new seat covers. Make sure to show that to the dealer. But I'd be very picky about new seat covers. Some mechanic will have to put them on, and it is not easy to do, so they often don't look right - kind of baggy. Inspect very closely before accepting them.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by StanNH
Wow! Thank you for this information. I assume this is a Technical Service Bulletin. Do you have any idea of the date of this TSB?

I will forward this to my dealer. I assume they'll have my car for several days to take care of this

Thank you very much!
Date
12-19-2014

no problem. and yes pay close attention to the final quality of the new installations.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
Stan, I take my "that's normal" comment back after seeing your pics. Good lord, I've never seen anything like that....anywhere. I had what I think Glyn described quite nicely but it went away as he stated it would.

I can understand your frustration - outrage?- and I'd be equally pissy at the thought of having the seat covers replaced on a new car.

I'm trying to bite my tongue and let me know if I'm out of line but...wtf is wrong with this new C-Class???? Is this another Alabama QC or supplier issue or is it global (I can't interpret the origin of the tech bulletin)? I see that the MB bulletin suggests that inventoried cars get a wash with warm, soapy water before delivery. I'm confused because I assume you've done this multiple times already?? If so, and considering your pics are worth a thousand words, will other new owners experience the same problem and the same "don't worry, we'll replace your seat covers" solution?

All I can say is "Wow". And I sympathize of course. Looking forward to hearing about your resolution.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about MB-Tex