C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Clicking sound from the dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by PaulArthur
The dealership even remove keyless go from all their cars, so now that they know about the fault, they could be argued to be deliberately hiding the fault.
Whilst I agree with your point about the arrogance of MB to legitimate concerns, I think you'll find that the dealerships have to remove EVERYTHING that's not bolted down, from their show/demo cars to stop people knicking it....
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Personally, I hear this 1 in 4 times I drive the car. It's no big deal, but its on my list of things to mention when it goes in for any work or a service next. If there is a service/software update to quiet the noise, then of course I'll take it. If not, then I'll live with it as I've enough stress in my life without a little noise being blown out of proportion.

I can't believe you'd go legal on such things to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, its nothing.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Whilst I agree with your point about the arrogance of MB to legitimate concerns, I think you'll find that the dealerships have to remove EVERYTHING that's not bolted down, from their show/demo cars to stop people knicking it....
Same in Australia. The dealerships also remove the start button because so many of them get stolen, absolutely nothing to do with clicking. If people only knew how easy it is to remove the star in the grill
Old 04-08-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Personally, I hear this 1 in 4 times I drive the car. It's no big deal, but its on my list of things to mention when it goes in for any work or a service next. If there is a service/software update to quiet the noise, then of course I'll take it. If not, then I'll live with it as I've enough stress in my life without a little noise being blown out of proportion.

I can't believe you'd go legal on such things to be honest, in the grand scheme of things, its nothing.

I am with you on this one... although one main difference I have noticed between the BMW forums and Mercedes Benz Forums is that the people on the MB forums seem so much more intolerant of minor imperfections. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.. either way.. I feel like I can slip into the background and not be the fussiest person on the forum anymore... for a change
Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm not sure about the tolerance thing. I was massively intolerant of the issues (and I had a lot) on my BMW. Over the years of stress and cost sorting it all out, I've decided I just can't do that any more and its so much easier to just rise above it... mostly
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
......If not, then I'll live with it as I've enough stress in my life without a little noise being blown out of proportion.

Lol couldn't agree more. I can't believe that it's not more stressful to write up a legal case and actually attend court about such a frivolous matter than to hear a faint noise in the car once in a while.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C250 Diesel Estate AMG Line Premium Plus
What you are all missing is that it is a failure in design, followed by MB arrogantly dismissing any criticism or culpability for it.

Rattles I can live with, that's part and parcel of owning a car, not that my LandRovers ever rattled. This is different. This is an attribute of the car brought about by a failure in design, or by using substandard parts. It is a failure in testing, and MB's attitude is simply to tell the world that it's normal?

If the chair mechanism poked you in the ribs three times in a journey, wouldn't you view that as unacceptable? The sound is unacceptable to me, but it's the manufacturer's attitude that is the reason for the litigation.

The point about the start button being removed is that by law in the UK, if there is a reason that you might choose not to buy a car, or why you might choose a different spec model, the dealer cannot take actions that disguise it. They may have a good reason for removing the start button on the forecourt, but when test driving there isn't, but it did have the effect of masking the irritating noise, which might have stopped me from buying the car (not likely) or from paying extra for a model with keyless go (more likely).
Old 04-17-2015, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think anyone is missing anything. I think some of us are simply not bothered by it. Its a faint clicking/chirping noise, not a spring in the seat poking me in the ribs.

I hear it perhaps once every 3/4 trips I take in the car and even then its only when there's no music playing as its just not that loud. Given the turkish post about a software patch I'll just mention it to the dealer when its in for a service.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:59 AM

Well I hear it every journey, and find it as irritating as a poke in the kidneys. It isn't up to you or Mercedes to make a judgement call on whether it is irritating enough to me for it to be sorted, when it is a design failure.

You've also misunderstood the Turkish forum post. There isn't a fix software update.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
I don't think anyone is missing anything. I think some of us are simply not bothered by it. Its a faint clicking/chirping noise, not a spring in the seat poking me in the ribs.

I hear it perhaps once every 3/4 trips I take in the car and even then its only when there's no music playing as its just not that loud. Given the turkish post about a software patch I'll just mention it to the dealer when its in for a service.
Im with you on this, absolutely does not bother me at all.. If a software update became available I would obviously ask about it... is of no concern to me at all.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It isn't up to you or Mercedes to make a judgement call on whether it is irritating enough to me for it to be sorted, when it is a design failure.
Then go sort it out.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 AM

There isn't a fix at the moment because Mercedes don't give a sh*t, and that's my point. There is a design fault and they aren't fixing it.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
What you are all missing is that it is a failure in design, followed by MB arrogantly dismissing any criticism or culpability for it.

Rattles I can live with, that's part and parcel of owning a car, not that my LandRovers ever rattled. This is different. This is an attribute of the car brought about by a failure in design, or by using substandard parts. It is a failure in testing, and MB's attitude is simply to tell the world that it's normal?

If the chair mechanism poked you in the ribs three times in a journey, wouldn't you view that as unacceptable? The sound is unacceptable to me, but it's the manufacturer's attitude that is the reason for the litigation.

The point about the start button being removed is that by law in the UK, if there is a reason that you might choose not to buy a car, or why you might choose a different spec model, the dealer cannot take actions that disguise it. They may have a good reason for removing the start button on the forecourt, but when test driving there isn't, but it did have the effect of masking the irritating noise, which might have stopped me from buying the car (not likely) or from paying extra for a model with keyless go (more likely).
Just because the sound irritates YOU doesn't mean that MB needs to recall all of their cars and change the software within. It's really not a big deal, turn the radio on or put your windows down and enjoy the car for the wonderful piece of engineering it is
Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
Those that don't like it, take it out and use the key.

Simples
Old 06-06-2015, 03:03 PM

2015 C400
Unhappy Detonation like sound when accelerating

Hi all,

The W205 is a nice car, but I have a detonation/pinging like sound on my C400 on acceleration. It could be described as cricket like. The dealer heard it too, and diagnosed it as wastegate actuator rods vibrating on "load." Both turbos and wastegates were replaced per MBUSA at about 3300 miles! The sound remains. Now, after trying unsuccessfully to repair it, MBUSA states it is normal and will do nothing more. It's very frustrating. Anyone else have this problem?

FWIW, I do also have wind noise at freeway speeds. I'm coming from a BMW 135i which did not have as much wind noise. This is not to say there isn't much to like about the car, but still...
Old 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by heyjoe
Hi all,

The W205 is a nice car, but I have a detonation/pinging like sound on my C400 on acceleration. It could be described as cricket like. The dealer heard it too, and diagnosed it as wastegate actuator rods vibrating on "load." Both turbos and wastegates were replaced per MBUSA at about 3300 miles! The sound remains. Now, after trying unsuccessfully to repair it, MBUSA states it is normal and will do nothing more. It's very frustrating. Anyone else have this problem?

FWIW, I do also have wind noise at freeway speeds. I'm coming from a BMW 135i which did not have as much wind noise. This is not to say there isn't much to like about the car, but still...
You should create this as a new topic not a post added onto a clicking from the dash thread.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C 180 AMG Sportline W205
Well I hear it every journey, and find it as irritating as a poke in the kidneys. It isn't up to you or Mercedes to make a judgement call on whether it is irritating enough to me for it to be sorted, when it is a design failure.

Sue their pants off!!!
Old 07-19-2015, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This has been fixed in my car by a software update. No difference in any car systems operation, just no chirping noise any longer.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
This has been fixed in my car by a software update. No difference in any car systems operation, just no chirping noise any longer.
Be good to know if this update gets over the Keyless Go failures that people have been getting too.

I guess that time will tell.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've only had one issue with keyless go and I think I caused that by turning off the key. Otherwise it's worked perfectly.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
i have a rattle sound from the back plastic cover of my nav screen when going over bumps and cracks in the road. its SO annoying. I haven't read the thread, is this a common problem?
Old 07-19-2015, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should really read a thread before posting in it. This thread is about a keyless go interference noise.

But I also get plastic creaks and rattles from the screen and dash cover now and then, it usually settles down within a few minutes of driving.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
You should really read a thread before posting in it. This thread is about a keyless go interference noise.

But I also get plastic creaks and rattles from the screen and dash cover now and then, it usually settles down within a few minutes of driving.
no need for attitude, didn't feel like reading 4 pages of posts when the title described my issue.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I have this chirping noise in my E 63 as well, also had it in both my 2014 E5 50s
Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by topsider
no need for attitude, didn't feel like reading 4 pages of posts when the title described my issue.
You made a point of posting having not read the thread. Don't talk to me about attitude.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound from the dash