C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
That's only on Alabama built MBtex? Because Germany vehicles should and don't have that problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by sblvro
That's only on Alabama built MBtex? Because Germany vehicles should and don't have that problem.
The problem is only found in the US production MB-Tex put in the W205 prior to January 5th, 2015. The replacement covers are apparently coming in from Mexico, where they seem to have tighter quality control standards than the US supplier.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 4matic
Originally Posted by StanNH
The problem is only found in the US production MB-Tex put in the W205 prior to January 5th, 2015. The replacement covers are apparently coming in from Mexico, where they seem to have tighter quality control standards than the US supplier.
Are all the covers coming from Mexico? We were told here in Canada that they are from Germany?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by SRF 27
Are all the covers coming from Mexico? We were told here in Canada that they are from Germany?
I was told the covers just replaced in my car came from Germany as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM

c300 4matic
Originally Posted by cidtek
I'm in Toronto, and they just completed the job today and going to pick it up tonight, and we were told the seats are from Germany. At least we can say something in the car is from Germany.....lol
Old 03-06-2015, 12:40 PM

2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Originally Posted by cidtek
I was told my seat covers are coming from Germany as well.
I'm in Toronto Canada.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:43 PM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
I was told my seat covers are coming from Germany as well.
I'm in Toronto Canada.
Same here for Germany produced replacement covers. I was told the originals were Mexico produced. I'm in the US.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Curious to know what those of us out here in the warmer states like AZ can do about this? I bought a C400 back in December off the dealer lot and have not experienced the bleeding seat issue to date since we don't have the temperature changes like those in other parts of NA, but it sure as hell isn't something I want to run into should I end up taking a road trip somewhere that could lead to this issue.

From what I've read in here (haven't had the time to read all 16 pages so forgive me if this has been asked befor) and per the TSB is the seats aren't showing signs of bleeding then they won't do the fix even though it's clearly within the production time frame for those that are showing signs?
I am in San Francisco Bay area, so I'm in a similar situation as you. I called MBUSA 3 times since I owned my car. Each time I've discussed the Bleeding Seat issue with a customer service rep. The first time, they had no idea waht I was talking about so they consulted with one of their tech people who set the rep straight. The last two calls have found the customer service reps well-schooled in the subject of Bleeding Seats. Each time the bottom line was MBUSA will replace the seat covers on request as long as the car was built prior to 1/5/15. Each time they agreed without condition that the seats need not actually bleed to have them replaced. They claim to have an internal document stating this policy. They are aware of what the TSB says, but they told me to call them if I have any problem with my service department with seat replacement. Same with the misaligned bumpers. (Mine is now fixed. No hassle with dealer on this at all.) I am holding off on the seats until I take it in next time. I hope they have some practice replacing seats by then.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A week or so ago, someone posted a picture of the MB-Tex packaging that came with his repair kit. The plastic package was clearly labeled Made in Mexico right under where the package was stamped German seat covers.

I was also told the new covers were German made, but that picture was pretty convincing evidence about their true country of origin. I'll try to find the specific post.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by gocal73
I am in San Francisco Bay area, so I'm in a similar situation as you. I called MBUSA 3 times since I owned my car. Each time I've discussed the Bleeding Seat issue with a customer service rep. The first time, they had no idea waht I was talking about so they consulted with one of their tech people who set the rep straight. The last two calls have found the customer service reps well-schooled in the subject of Bleeding Seats. Each time the bottom line was MBUSA will replace the seat covers on request as long as the car was built prior to 1/5/15. Each time they agreed without condition that the seats need not actually bleed to have them replaced. They claim to have an internal document stating this policy. They are aware of what the TSB says, but they told me to call them if I have any problem with my service department with seat replacement. Same with the misaligned bumpers. (Mine is now fixed. No hassle with dealer on this at all.) I am holding off on the seats until I take it in next time. I hope they have some practice replacing seats by then.
The more I think about the more I would like to hold off on having them replaced. Since I'm not experiencing it I'm just not sure I want to risk having them replaced and the fit not being as good or introducing a squeak or rattle, etc. I am concerned about the issue creeping up should I end up Ina climate that would cause it though. Perhaps I'll have them doing sometime down the line but it's just too new to take that chance right now.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 PM

C3004matic, BMW 328d xdrive
A week or so ago, someone posted a picture of the MB-Tex packaging that came with his repair kit. The plastic package was clearly labeled Made in Mexico right under where the package was stamped German seat covers.

I was also told the new covers were German made, but that picture was pretty convincing evidence about their true country of origin. I'll try to find the specific post.
yes look at post # 371
Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emilryba
yes look at post # 371
Thanks, that's the post and picture which shows Made in Mexico on a 1/16/15 production date of "German Vinyl."
Updates:  The MB-Tex Problem-made-20in-20mexico_zpshctjneu6.jpg

Last edited by StanNH; 03-07-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
Originally Posted by Markman2112
Don't know if this pic is useful to anyone, but will show what MB Tex material is being used now.

It wasn't clear to me what he meant by "being used now." In fact, I would take it to mean that is what is being used at the factory.

Either way though, don't really care where it's made, as long as it's not defective.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 C8, 2020 defender 110X, 2019 720S, 2014 GLK 350 4matic, 2015 escalade platinum, 2013 RRS HSELux
A week or so ago, someone posted a picture of the MB-Tex packaging that came with his repair kit. The plastic package was clearly labeled Made in Mexico right under where the package was stamped German seat covers. I was also told the new covers were German made, but that picture was pretty convincing evidence about their true country of origin. I'll try to find the specific post.
I remember your post and pic as well about the made in Mexico part.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Its possible that the material is made in germany but the stitching together and cutting of the pieces could be done in Mexico

Last edited by joshg1001; 03-07-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 PM

2015 C-400
I was also told my new seat covers came straight from Germany. I've had the car back for few days now and finally driven it. But I have to say I'm not too pleased with the fitment of the seat covers. Definitely not the same as factory (less the bleeding ....) I find after sitting on the seats for a while the covers seem a bit loose....like a cheap sofa....not what I would expect for a $60k car. Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:04 AM

2014 E 350
We have a 2014 e350 with a light grey. I have been wondering what the dark stains were on the seat and what appears to be runs on the seat back. That is why I searched this forum. I used to be a mechanic and would get dirty seats in my truck. We do not get in this car with dirty clothing on. WTF.
Attached Thumbnails Updates:  The MB-Tex Problem-20150312_125705_resized.jpg  

Last edited by jkrezdorn; 03-12-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:28 PM

2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Happy with results

Got my bleeding seat covers replaced last week.I had to leave the car for 26 hours. The results are excellent! You would never know any work was done.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:31 PM

2015 C-400
Originally Posted by TorontoBenz
Got my bleeding seat covers replaced last week.I had to leave the car for 26 hours. The results are excellent! You would never know any work was done.
Which dealer did the work?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 PM

Mercedes Benz 2015 C300
Same Issue. Very Disappointed

Since my original thread has gotten very long, I thought it might be helpful to start a new thread where we can share our experiences and any solutions to this MB-Tex issue.

From what I've able to learn so far, this seems to be a problem with the plasticizer that is used to soften the vinyl used in MB-Tex. For some as yet unexplained reason, a combination of very cold, then warm, temperatures can cause this additive to leach out of the fabric, producing what looks like a shiny spray to form on the seating and headrest surfaces. After some cooling, a white lanolin-like substance will form. It looks like this:

or like this:

The appearance of the stains changes dramatically with temperature, and may even disappear on its own, but it always comes back. MB is aware of the defect, and has issued the following TSB:

"Topic number
LI91.18-P-060470

Complaint

Oily, shiny surface or white residues on MB-Tex seat covers

Cause
In cold weather the surface of the MB-Tex can appear oily or shiny.

When the material warms up again, the substance evaporates and this can result in white edges on the surface (IMG_2054.jpg)
Remedy

1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.

2) For vehicles in dealer inventory

Please clean the seats with warm soapy water solution (do not use aggressive cleaning agents) before releasing to customer.

A final resolution is currently under development, this LI will be updated accordingly."

Thanks to member Rocman8 for finding this TSB.

In my case, my dealer has been contacted and has ordered the repair kit, although it is currently backordered due to high demand.

I have also contacted MB-USA and spoke with two representatives today. I now have a case manager who will escalate this and have some answers by tomorrow. She agreed that my experiences with the car have been unacceptable and will be addressed by them. She also asked if the car was leased, financed, or purchased outright, so they may be considering a replacement vehicle, but that's just speculation on my part.

This thread might be a good way to share information with others who may be experiencing this very odd problem with their MB-Tex seats.
Not only have we been experiencing the bleeding issue but a squeaky brake issue as well. Mercedes just replaced the brakes and they squeak as well. This is our second C300 in a row and after this I doubt we will return at the end of the lease. The lack of urgency Mercedes Benz has for its customers is unacceptable. We have only had the car for 2 months. When it is cold out the seats are just plain embarrassing. There is a residue that does effect clothing. Our dealer has told us most of our replacement covers are in with the exception of one piece. How long this will go on for who knows. Hopefully none of you are experiencing the brake issue. It has been recognized as becoming a problem with no correct fix found yet

Last edited by Seancvaughan; 03-25-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Additional input
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM

2016 C450 AMG
My car interior seating surfaces replacement completed today. Dealer did beautiful painstaking work. Also cleaned car inside and polished winter automatic car wash swirl marks away, waxed and delivered to my doorstep (I am 272 miles away). Free C300 loaner. Prime Mercedes Scarborough Maine. They have 8 on there list to do. This was their first. Excellent job. Great dealership. On top of it before I even knew about it! Replaced under warranty defective Continental tires at same time (didn't know about that either). Lastly the squeaky brake in the cold problem they stated will be taken care of as soon as the replacement rotor/pads are finished. They tell me a fix has been sorted out and it is now in the manufacturing process.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Forgot to mention they gave me a $250 gas card because I live so far away!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C200 Sport
Originally Posted by jkrezdorn
We have a 2014 e350 with a light grey. I have been wondering what the dark stains were on the seat and what appears to be runs on the seat back. That is why I searched this forum. I used to be a mechanic and would get dirty seats in my truck. We do not get in this car with dirty clothing on. WTF.
I'm not an expert but that looks like the elements for the seat heaters? Very symmetrical in shape.

Does that area get warm when you switch on the seat heaters?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:35 AM

MB C300, Audi A4
I just got my car back and the replacement covers look well done. When I originally brought the car in to report the issue in early February, the dealer told me they were going to make a car payment for those who have been affected by the issue. I haven't heard anything about that since and forgot to ask when I picked up the car. Has anyone else received some sort of compensation for this?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DoubleBull
Has anyone else received some sort of compensation for this?
In my case, so far, it's been all talk and no action. I am sorely disappointed with MB-USA at this point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem