C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by gnus
Interesting MBUSA had an independant lab test it, but still can't/won't say what the substance actually is?
He didn't know if it was Mercedes or the manufacturer of the MB Tex that had the independent lab test run, but my guess is that it was the manufacturer.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The substance is plasticiser. What we don't know is which plasticiser.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
The substance is plasticiser. What we don't know is which plasticiser.
Exactly. They knew that much, just didn't know which one.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Just got a call from MB-USA. They told me that my dealer did have the new seat bottom to go with the rest of the repair kit, and that they hoped to have the entire interior completed by Friday. Only after that's finished will they tackle the other issues.. They have a list of the work to be done, and I was assured everything would be taken care of.

Just as I hung up the phone with MB-USA, my dealer's service manager called and verified that they're finishing the seats right now. The shop foreman is doing all the work, and it was described to me as "tedious." The covers are attached with "hog rings" and clips in the foam, and they have to be handled carefully so the foam is not damaged.

The manager just inspected the work and said the seats look perfect. She also verified that MB-Tex in all colors is affected, and they are seeing some bleeding on the grey and beige as well as the black, but to a lesser degree.

The car should be ready next week, when all the work has been completed.

Last edited by StanNH; 01-29-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by StanNH
Just got a call from MB-USA. They told me that my dealer did have the new seat bottom to go with the rest of the repair kit, and that they hoped to have the entire interior completed by Friday. Only after that's finished will they tackle the other issues.. They have a list of the work to be done, and I was assured everything would be taken care of.

Just as I hung up the phone with MB-USA, my dealer's service manager called and verified that they're finishing the seats right now. The shop foreman is doing all the work, and it was described to me as "tedious." The covers are attached with "hog rings" and clips in the foam, and they have to be handled carefully so the foam is not damaged.

The manager just inspected the work and said the seats look perfect. She also verified that MB-Tex in all colors is affected, and they are seeing some bleeding on the grey and beige as well as the black, but to a lesser degree.

The car should be ready next week, when all the work has been completed.

Something positive; we are all rooting for you so keep us posted.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
A few items. First, this is not standard MB Tex that's been used for decades. It's entirely new, made by a company called Benecke-Kalicko, which is a subsidiary of ContiTec, the company that makes Continental tires. The seat material product name is Acello. It was designed for the 2015 C300, and the design model was the Acello material they make for the Audi A4.

Take a look at the Benecke-Kalicko website, go to the "news" section, there is a press release from July 2014 about this (and thanks to the MBWorld member who provided the link). You can also scroll around to the automotive interiors section and get to Acello, with more description of the product.

I sent a detailed formal request to my MB case manager (and if you are reading this, I apologize--you drew the short straw!) requesting the "independent" lab test that's been discussed on this forum; MSDS sheets for all involved materials, and also the byproducts such as the oil, any chemical fumes/ aerosols; and information if these chemicals infiltrate any other part of the cabin. Since MB clearly has these documents and answers, I'll be adding a strict time limit to my request shortly. If they still will not provide the info, then its' off to the races--NHTSA, state AG office, lemon law, Merchandising Practices Act-- all considerations.

I'm not letting my family back into this vehicle until I'm convinced it's safe. Going to extremes, even brief asbestos exposure can cause mesothelioma years down the road. While this is a far outlier, without knowing what chemicals are involved and potentially still linger, none of us should simply take MB's word.

The Acello online info takes pains to state that no "reproductive toxic plasticizers" are used--this means plasticizers that are known to adversely affect human reproductive capability. What this tells us is that chemicals in the seats are known to be potentially harmful. We need to know the details surrounding this issue--and I think every one of us should individually demand this info from our MB reps.

Last edited by Jazzdad; 02-05-2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: better meaning
Old 02-09-2015, 11:54 PM

2015 C-400
MB-tex issue

Just picked up my car last week and has the same problem. Shiny oily residue on the seats when warm and gross white residue when cold. This is ridiculous for MB quality. They should have never delivered the vehicle knowing of the problem. Seems like the issue is in Canada also as that's where I am.
Attached Thumbnails Updates:  The MB-Tex Problem-image.jpg  
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
Originally Posted by KMCMA
Just picked up my car last week and has the same problem. Shiny oily residue on the seats when warm and gross white residue when cold. This is ridiculous for MB quality. They should have never delivered the vehicle knowing of the problem. Seems like the issue is in Canada also as that's where I am.
Your seat looks awful !! Yes, I understand that there have been a good number of Canadian W205 owners, especially in the Greater Toronto area, with this MBTex problem.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:45 AM

2015 C-400
Yes I'm in the greater Toronto area. Had I known of this problem I might have gotten the leather seat package! Never expected this from MB. The car only has 76 km on it, and I can't drive it like this. The oozing is just too disgusting.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Yes I'm in the greater Toronto area. Had I known of this problem I might have gotten the leather seat package! Never expected this from MB. The car only has 76 km on it, and I can't drive it like this. The oozing is just too disgusting.

Some people have defended MB because they are replacing the MBTex bleeding seats. Yet, these same people look past the sad truth that MB continues to knowingly sell defective cars to the public.

Last edited by gocal73; 02-10-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by gocal73
Some people have defended MB because they are replacing the MBTex bleeding seats. Yet, these same people look face the sad truth that MB dealers continue to knowingly sell defective cars to the public.
Fixed it

I do agree that the dealer shouldn't have delivered this car without at least a warning about what could (and was likely to) happen so that this person wouldn't need to deal with a nasty surprise.

Last edited by BlackjackM; 02-10-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:52 AM

2015 E350W4
Just ordered a 15 C300W4. I did get the Interior Pkg with leather, so this won't be an issue. Not for nothing, for the marginal increase in pricing, you would have gotten real leather, heated and ventilated seats, ambient lighting, and illuminated door sills. $2300 beats a headache any day!!

Now granted, it is MB, and it's not the $$, this problem definitely was overlooked for the MB-Tex owners. Sorry all! Just encountered this with a customer. The "warm, mildly soapy water" cleaning seemed to work.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by timanto
Just ordered a 15 C300W4. I did get the Interior Pkg with leather, so this won't be an issue. Not for nothing, for the marginal increase in pricing, you would have gotten real leather, heated and ventilated seats, ambient lighting, and illuminated door sills. $2300 beats a headache any day!!

Now granted, it is MB, and it's not the $$, this problem definitely was overlooked for the MB-Tex owners. Sorry all! Just encountered this with a customer. The "warm, mildly soapy water" cleaning seemed to work.
I'm not sure I understand this. You're saying it's the fault of the buyer for not ordering the interior package with leather? I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, would have gotten leather if we knew then what we know now. Since not even MB knew of the problem at that point, why would any other choice have been made ... if one selected an interior material that had a reputation for durability and good looks?

Also. cleaning with warm, soapy water is a temporary fix and does nothing to eliminate the problem. It always comes back.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 AM

2015 E350W4
I'm not sure I understand this. You're saying it's the fault of the buyer for not ordering the interior package with leather? I'm sure a lot of us, myself included, would have gotten leather if we knew then what we know now. Since not even MB knew of the problem at that point, why would any other choice have been made ... if one selected an interior material that had a reputation for durability and good looks?

Also. cleaning with warm, soapy water is a temporary fix and does nothing to eliminate the problem. It always comes back.

God no- I feel for anyone with this issue- I was saying it as for me, for my car. I ordered the interior pkg so I won't have to deal with this. I hope MB fixes anyones and everyones issue with the seats. People buy MB for a reason- this DEFINITELY isn't one of them.

Please do not take anything out of context. We're all here to inform and help each other, no?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM

c300 4matic
StanNH

Did you get your car back?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

God no- I feel for anyone with this issue- I was saying it as for me, for my car. I ordered the interior pkg so I won't have to deal with this. I hope MB fixes anyones and everyones issue with the seats. People buy MB for a reason- this DEFINITELY isn't one of them.

Please do not take anything out of context. We're all here to inform and help each other, no?
The post had me confused. It sounded like you were saying people should have gotten the leather ... after the fact.

In any case, new production after 1/5/15 is unaffected, so MB-Tex should once again be a safe choice for those who don't opt for leather. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch an MB-Tex car on a dealer's lot made before that date ... unless the dealer could show me that it had the new seat covers and headrests already installed.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SRF 27
StanNH

Did you get your car back?
Yes, with a very good outcome.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ures-done.html
Old 02-10-2015, 10:23 AM

2015 E350W4
The post had me confused. It sounded like you were saying people should have gotten the leather ... after the fact.

In any case, new production after 1/5/15 is unaffected, so MB-Tex should once again be a safe choice for those who don't opt for leather. On the other hand, I wouldn't touch an MB-Tex car on a dealer's lot made before that date ... unless the dealer could show me that it had the new seat covers and headrests already installed.
My apologies.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My apologies.
Not necessary at all. The problem with posting anything online is that there's no way of knowing the emotional context of the post. A smile, a smirk, a laugh ... any expressions at all .. are invisible to the reader. That's why emoticons became popular. As overused as they may be, sometimes it's the only way of putting a "face" to a post.

See?
Old 02-10-2015, 10:46 AM

2015 E350W4
Haha! now I definitely can't wait until 8pm....
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM

C350
Pics of MB tex on newer build

Don't know if this pic is useful to anyone, but will show what MB Tex material is being used now.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2013 BMW 335i Msport, 2012 Mustang GT
Haha! now I definitely can't wait until 8pm....
8pm? Around here time is usually 4 or 5pm. Even so, if it's currently only noon, we know that it's 5pm somewhere!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Markman2112
Don't know if this pic is useful to anyone, but will show what MB Tex material is being used now.
American made cars getting German vinyl produced in Mexico. Perfect!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM

2015 E250 Bluetec
This is why I don't buy first year production, too many issues!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 PM

2015 C-400
MB-Tex problem

Originally Posted by B5chung
This is why I don't buy first year production, too many issues!
Yes well it was either the MB or the second last year of the Audi S4. This is my third Mercedes. I thought it was a good bet! Who knew lol. In hind sight I did have the first year of the ML back in 2006, but only minor issues. I just have to sit and wait for the dealer to get back to me I guess......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem