C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
I just saw this update on the autoblog article. Hopefully good news as it relates to the timing of getting this fixed.

Daimler AG became aware that, in a small number of individual cases, it is possible for temporary spots and/or shiny patches to form on the man-made leather surfaces of the 2015 C-Class in sub-freezing temperatures. No accidents or injuries have been reported, and we have no reason to believe that there are any hazards to customers. Replacement parts are expected to start shipping to dealers by next week.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by 81dollar
Actually the dramatic design is what attracted me (and the mrs.) to the Evoque, especially since we got it right when they were first available. Definitely received a lot of compliments, even though it was the baby RR and not a "real" one (one day, I'll own a Sport!). Of course, the swooping design made the Evoque very impractical, that design was always about looks vs. function.

The technology in the W205 is amazing, especially when you compare it to the XF (to be fair it's probably the last MY of the current design). That's part of the reason I was so attracted to the C300. Although I do miss the Meridian sound system as I personally think it blows the Burmester out of the water.

Sorry about going so off topic

I'll report back after my service appointment on Saturday.

Sorry I somewhat poked at the Evoque and seemed insensitive to your ownership experience. When it came out, I was really excited to see such a design evolution coming from Land Rover, but got a sour taste in my mouth when that design language made its way to the new RRS. It was a design deserving of itself and really was a car that allowed Land Rover to get more exposure to new buyers. That was its goal and it worked quite well.

My RRS was pre-meridian but the stereo is awesome. Best stereo I've had in a stock vehicle, no doubt. I haven't heard the Bunmiester yet but I'm sure it's great too.

As for the original topic, this bleeding seat thing is everywhere now. Youtube, just about every car blog, it's everywhere actually... including Singapore car rags. It's gone full *&^&*.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:36 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by richardamp
Replacement parts are expected to start shipping to dealers by next week.

... along with a very minor side-effect.
Attached Thumbnails Updates:  The MB-Tex Problem-liongaroo.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Sorry I somewhat poked at the Evoque and seemed insensitive to your ownership experience. When it came out, I was really excited to see such a design evolution coming from Land Rover, but got a sour taste in my mouth when that design language made its way to the new RRS. It was a design deserving of itself and really was a car that allowed Land Rover to get more exposure to new buyers. That was its goal and it worked quite well.

My RRS was pre-meridian but the stereo is awesome. Best stereo I've had in a stock vehicle, no doubt. I haven't heard the Bunmiester yet but I'm sure it's great too.

As for the original topic, this bleeding seat thing is everywhere now. Youtube, just about every car blog, it's everywhere actually... including Singapore car rags. It's gone full *&^&*.
No problem, no offense taken . I'm fully aware I was driving a stylized car that probably didn't deserve the prestige of the RR badge. It's what we lovingly refer to as a hair dressers car (no offense to the hair dressers on this board). It's like the RR equivalent of the SLK250 (I kid, I kid!)

I haven't driven one yet, but it's how I feel about the Porsche Macan and even the GLA. It's all about the style.

The softer edges of the RRS design has grown on me. I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the RRS SVR, it was love at first sight. The price, however...

And good, I'm glad it's hitting the mainstream media. Not that MBUSA isn't responsive, but hopefully this lights a fire under someones ****
Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
No problem, no offense taken . I'm fully aware I was driving a stylized car that probably didn't deserve the prestige of the RR badge. It's what we lovingly refer to as a hair dressers car (no offense to the hair dressers on this board). It's like the RR equivalent of the SLK250 (I kid, I kid!)

I haven't driven one yet, but it's how I feel about the Porsche Macan and even the GLA. It's all about the style.

The softer edges of the RRS design has grown on me. I was fortunate enough to get a ride in the RRS SVR, it was love at first sight. The price, however...

And good, I'm glad it's hitting the mainstream media. Not that MBUSA isn't responsive, but hopefully this lights a fire under someones ****

I'm very tempted to test drive the GLA45. I saw one in person at the dealership last week but didn't have a chance to drive it. My wife hates car dealerships and just wanted to get out of there before I walked off with a new car. It's nice - much, much bigger than I had imagined though. The snap crackle exhaust is something I love a lot, I'm a big Rally car fan and love that connection. As for the Macan, K-A ruined it that one for me. j/k

You're quite lucky that you got a ride in the new RRS SVR! Now that's a beast. My dream would be to have a full sized RR (FFRR) and a sports car (C63 or M3) at the same time. But that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Unless I get a divorce.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 PM

'13 C350, '13 GLK250
I just saw this update on the autoblog article. Hopefully good news as it relates to the timing of getting this fixed.

Daimler AG became aware that, in a small number of individual cases, it is possible for temporary spots and/or shiny patches to form on the man-made leather surfaces of the 2015 C-Class in sub-freezing temperatures. No accidents or injuries have been reported, and we have no reason to believe that there are any hazards to customers. Replacement parts are expected to start shipping to dealers by next week.

Hmmm....I've heard something like "no reason to believe that there are any hazards to customers." Now where was it???

Old 01-09-2015, 12:00 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
^ Priceless
Old 01-09-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
So.....yesterday my car (bought end of Oct and has black MB-Tex) was outside in the cold 10 degree temperature for 9 hours while I was at work.

On the drive home (45 minutes) I cranked the seat heaters on both sides and turned the climate control to HI the entire way. I was actually sweating.

Nothing. Nada. Zippy.

While I am happy I did not see anything appear on my seats, I am still a little concerned this will pop up in the future. I guess the fact there is a TSB for this should give me some comfort that if it does, MB will address it.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Mark's M
Hmmm....I've heard something like "no reason to believe that there are any hazards to customers." Now where was it???

So true.

IMO not a reason to be an alarmist on it, but a bit naive to think there's zero chance for an issue, and insane to believe that zero percent chance is based on anything the manufacturer tells you.

I don't think i'd have my kids rubbing it with their hands or licking it to say the least.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 AM

2015 c400 4Matic
Took possession of mine in late October. Live in Philly region. Been through warm and now, very cold, weather. No issues with my black MB-Tex ... yet.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Add me!

I've had my 2015 c c300 for about 6 weeks and this morning I noticed some oily spots on the front drivers seat. I just read an article yesterday about this! What bad luck I've had with this car so far. I called MBUSA today to escalate a complaint. I've had one headlight holding water already replaced, my front bumper adjusted because it was uneven, need to get my rear bumper adjusted too, because the gaps are uneven between the bumper and the rear quarter panel. I also have noticed a gap in the fuel door. What idiots are putting these cars together?????? Plus, is it just me, or does anyone else hear noises inside the car like crackling plastic or something. I had to get something replaced on the passenger seat belt area that was making crazy noises when I drove. This is just unacceptable for a new Mercedes. I wish Mercedes would just take it back and I can just get a Toyota or something.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Porsche
I am so disappointed. I fell in love with the new c-class the moment I saw it. Went for a test drive and really liked what I saw. I was on the fence about a c400 or waiting for the c450. One of the major irritations that I had was the fact that a 60000$ car (Canada) did not come with leather seats. Read up on MBTEX and was somewhat comfortable with this option seeing as it had a good reputation. Now, looking at these pictures and addind to the equation, the other quality issues, I can no longer logically consider Mercedes as an option for my next vehicle.

I am truly saddened as I adored the car but reliability is important to me and I can't afford to be going to the dealer every month for all these problems. I could just imagine inviting a customer into my car and the seats looking like this I would be ashamed. Add to that the fact that these chemicals are probably toxic and you have a major show stopper. When I hear Mercedes saying that these chemicals are not toxic, I cringe. The amount that is being released has to be a major health risk.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 PM

2015 C300
Quick update- My dealer claims that the bulletin calls for only a cleaning with a solution they have, apparently they're not replacing anything. Can anyone else confirm? The original TSB (LI91.18-P-060470) that was posted very clearly states :
1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.
But my dealer is saying otherwise. I don't know who to believe. Any MB employees here have access to the TSB on some sort of official MB form? Perhaps a computer screen shot (versus a copy/paste)?

EDIT: Called MBUSA, the guy I spoke to says there's no record of a bulletin or advisory in his database. I wonder if LI91.18-P-060470 is from another region.

Side note, I noticed that one of the menu prompts when calling MBUSA is "If you're calling in response to the recent notice about the C-Class taillights, please push 1". I wonder if that has to do with the misaligned taillights that some folks are experiencing?

I also spoke to soon, because now my back seat looks like this:

Last edited by 81dollar; 01-09-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by Ryan_U
I am so disappointed. I fell in love with the new c-class the moment I saw it. Went for a test drive and really liked what I saw. I was on the fence about a c400 or waiting for the c450. One of the major irritations that I had was the fact that a 60000$ car (Canada) did not come with leather seats. Read up on MBTEX and was somewhat comfortable with this option seeing as it had a good reputation. Now, looking at these pictures and addind to the equation, the other quality issues, I can no longer logically consider Mercedes as an option for my next vehicle.

I am truly saddened as I adored the car but reliability is important to me and I can't afford to be going to the dealer every month for all these problems. I could just imagine inviting a customer into my car and the seats looking like this I would be ashamed. Add to that the fact that these chemicals are probably toxic and you have a major show stopper. When I hear Mercedes saying that these chemicals are not toxic, I cringe. The amount that is being released has to be a major health risk.

This is America, if the substance was toxic it would be all over the news and lawsuits would be all over the place,
Mercedes are smarter than that, the substance is part of the seat, one of the parts in the car that is closest to your body, do you really think they would use a dangerous substance in the interior?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:45 PM

2015 C 300
Quick update- My dealer claims that the bulletin calls for only a cleaning with a solution they have, apparently they're not replacing anything. Can anyone else confirm? The original TSB (LI91.18-P-060470) that was posted very clearly states :
1) For customer vehicles with issue only!

Replace the seat cover and head rests, except for the front passenger seat bottom.

The passenger seat bottom cannot be changed at this time because the factory calibration is performed on the cushion/cover/bladder as a complete set.

We are currently in developing a spare part kit, once established, this Tips LI will be updated.
But my dealer is saying otherwise. I don't know who to believe. Any MB employees here have access to the TSB on some sort of official MB form? Perhaps a computer screen shot (versus a copy/paste)?

EDIT: Called MBUSA, the guy I spoke to says there's no record of a bulletin or advisory in his database. I wonder if LI91.18-P-060470 is from another region.

Side note, I noticed that one of the menu prompts when calling MBUSA is "If you're calling in response to the recent notice about the C-Class taillights, please push 1". I wonder if that has to do with the misaligned taillights that some folks are experiencing?

Your dealer is wrong. My dealer is replacing covers per TSB. Ordering 30 parts but they said they're coming from overseas and currently being developed. 2 month wait!

My dealer printed off the TSB and it was word for word what was posted on this forum.

Last edited by richardamp; 01-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires

As I said to Stan in a PM yesterday. There is a difference between a manufacturing error & sticking to the Benz spec. In layman's terms the plasticiser is not reacted/bonded in the vinyl. It is trapped in the end product & over time leaches out. Here it is leaching too fast in cold conditions & evapourating too slowly. It normally would leach in conditions of high UV & leave a film on your windows etc.

The spec for MBTex will have come out of Europe and they are fanatical about this sort of thing (toxicity of components). I think you can take Benz word for it that it's safe. They would not mess around with something like this. The consequences are far too grave.

That is why your vehicle has water based paint & Benz will not even allow bituminous carcinogens in anti drumming compound.

We produce Europe's favourite polyurea high temperature grease for the hot end of paper machines. One of the regulators noticed that isocyanate was one of the unreacted components. I had to jump through hoops to prove that the reacted polymer was inert & safe which it was & is.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Porsche
I really hope for all you with a problem that there really isn't a toxicity problem. I am very sensitive to phtalates and that is what is usually used to soften plastic. If Mercedes uses something else then I am glad to hear that. I am just afraid that they might be under playing the problem. For example, off gasing of some products are not harmful at certain levels but concentrate a years worth of off gasing into a couple days and the levels might be dangerous. I would feel more comfortable if they released the report on what is being leached out of the seats. Sincerely, I wish good luck to everybody and I hope you all get a satisfactory resolution to your problem.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 PM

2015 C300
Your dealer is wrong. My dealer is replacing covers per TSB. Ordering 30 parts but they said they're coming from overseas and currently being developed. 2 month wait!

My dealer printed off the TSB and it was word for word what was posted on this forum.
Damn, that's what I was afraid of. I don't know why MBUSA couldn't find the TSB in their database, but it sounds like there are no parts available for at least 2 months anyway.

Rich, did your dealer clean your seats and send you on your way? With an understanding that they'll be replacing parts as they arrive from the factory?
Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM

2015 C 300
did your dealer clean your seats and send you on your way? With an understanding that they'll be replacing parts as they arrive from the factory?
Yes, they cleaned the seats but of course it came back the next time I drove the car. I'm working to try and get a loaner for 2 months. My MBUSA case manager is calling me today, so I may need to get them involved to get a loaner for that long.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 PM

2015 C 300
Now, looking at these pictures and addind to the equation, the other quality issues, I can no longer logically consider Mercedes as an option for my next vehicle.
It's funny, but even after this happening to my seats and the hassle it's going to cause, I don't regret my decision to get the car yet. That may change based on how MB treats me and resolves this, but I love the car so much that I still think it's worth it. I wouldn't rule the car out if I were you, but maybe you want to delay your purchase for a bit until these issues are worked out.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM

2017 GLC300 4MATIC; 2015 c400
It's funny, but even after this happening to my seats and the hassle it's going to cause, I don't regret my decision to get the car yet. That may change based on how MB treats me and resolves this, but I love the car so much that I still think it's worth it. I wouldn't rule the car out if I were you, but maybe you want to delay your purchase for a bit until these issues are worked out.

This is how I feel. The car as it's supposed to be, sans defects, is amazing.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:16 PM
MBW Editor

Front Page Coverage

Quite the bummer, but we figured we should bring it to the Front Page so the rest of the forums can be on the lookout:
https://mbworld.org/articles/seats-bleed-call-mercedes/
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I feel exactly the same way. I was out for an hour in the car today, and it's impossible to walk away from this car without feeling impressed by it. I've had several QC issues, but I find myself being more upset with the Alabama build process than with the car. The seat issue has been the most serious, and I have no doubt that it will eventually be fixed, but the car has always performed well and has lived up to all the hype it's gotten.

My dealer has already ordered the repair kit from the TSB which, by the way, they were very aware of. MB customer service has been in touch with me several times. As frustrating as this has all been so far, and it has been, I do think MB-USA will get this all sorted out. I also wouldn't be surprised if they announce a short shut down of the Alabama facility to do some retraining and get some of their suppliers straightened out.

EDIT: The "quote" feature isn't working right. It cites the member's name, but omits the quoted post itself. Has MB-USA been helping out here?

Last edited by StanNH; 01-09-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanNH
I feel exactly the same way. I was out for an hour in the car today, and it's impossible to walk away from this car without feeling impressed by it. I've had several QC issues, but I find myself being more upset with the Alabama build process than with the car. The seat issue has been the most serious, and I have no doubt that it will eventually be fixed, but the car has always performed well and has lived up to all the hype it's gotten.

My dealer has already ordered the repair kit from the TSB which, by the way, they were very aware of. MB customer service has been in touch with me several times. As frustrating as this has all been so far, and it has been, I do think MB-USA will get this all sorted out. I also wouldn't be surprised if they announce a short shut down of the Alabama facility to do some retraining and get some of their suppliers straightened out.

EDIT: The "quote" feature isn't working right. It cites the member's name, but omits the quoted post itself. Has MB-USA been helping out here?
Trial quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Feature is working now. Any trouble with multiquote?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem