C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Updates: The MB-Tex Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by Pracht
Is it possible that there are other factors in play like a moisture leak from somewhere else? Like through the sunroof or door sills that just happen to condensate that way on parts of the MB-Tex?
It has to be defective MB Tex. In this picture look has shiny/oily the defective MBTex is vs. the rear center armrest MBTex that is not defective. I do not think you would have such a clear line of distinction if something was just condensing onto the MBTex.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
I found this on the net, this explains what's going on with the seat but the health issue with plasticizer is of major concerns:

Re: Graphics – Vinyl Finish Alert - Mottling
Notice a slight haze or mottling on your newly installed graphics? Here’s some information as to why this is happening.

Short Course on Vinyl
Vinyl is composed of two simple building blocks: chlorine, based on common salt, and ethylene, from crude oil. The resulting compound, ethylene dichloride, is converted at very high temperatures to vinyl chloride monomer (VCM) gas. Through the chemical reaction known as polymerization, VCM becomes a chemically stable powder, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin.

PVC (PolyVinyl Chloride) resin is the key ingredient in vinyl. However, by itself, it’s a very hard and brittle plastic material. Additives such as plasticizers, stabilizers, lubricants, pigments and processing aids change the PVC’s physical properties and make it flexible.

Plasticizer Migration
Vinyl resin must be blended with a plasticizer (such as a phthalate ester or phosphoric acid) to become pliable. The more plasticizers used in making the vinyl product the more flexible the vinyl becomes. These plasticizers make the vinyl pliable by sliding between the PVC molecules. Because the plasticizers are not chemically bound to the PVC molecules they can move from within the vinyl to the surface. This movement is called migration. When plasticizers migrate to the surface of the material it can cause surface distortion, like mottling (a spotty or hazy appearance on the vinyl surface), and can cause some inks or adhesives not to bond well. When plasticizers migrate to the underside of the material it can cause interference with the adhesive properties and degrade functionality of the adhesive of a pressure-sensitive vinyl.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
New Poll

Please take the time to vote in this poll. Thank you.

http://https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/570343-has-your-car-been-affected-mb-tex-bleeding-issue.html
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by richardamp
It has to be defective MB Tex. In this picture look has shiny/oily the defective MBTex is vs. the rear center armrest MBTex that is not defective. I do not think you would have such a clear line of distinction if something was just condensing onto the MBTex.

This is a fascinating picture. The armrest is clearly from a different batch of MBTex. (presume you have inspected carefully & that some idiot has not installed a leather armrest in an MBTex seat?)

Stitching on those headrests could be better.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-08-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T

Unrelated...just wondering what the grey plastic thing is to the right of the armrest in the picture
Old 01-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
ISOFix something or other?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM

B200T
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
ISOFix something or other?
I dunno...thought it was a booster seat, but it looks like it's coming through the triangular leather section beside the armrest?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
Originally Posted by mihaelb
I dunno...thought it was a booster seat, but it looks like it's coming through the triangular leather section beside the armrest?
it is a kids booster seat. Take a look at the seating area to the right of the gray and white armrest. Different material and higher than the other side.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by mihaelb
Unrelated...just wondering what the grey plastic thing is to the right of the armrest in the picture
Kid's booster seat.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:37 PM

2015 C 300
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
This is a fascinating picture. The armrest is clearly from a different batch of MBTex. (presume you have inspected carefully & that some idiot has not installed a leather armrest in an MBTex seat?)

Stitching on those headrests could be better.
The material on the rear center arm rest sure looks and feels exactly like the material on the seats. So either it's MB Tex from another source or they've done a heck of a job making MB Tex almost indistinguishable from leather (and accidentally installed leather). The MB Tex on the front arm rest, dash, and doors also appears unaffected.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
The material on the rear center arm rest sure looks and feels exactly like the material on the seats. So either it's MB Tex from another source or they've done a heck of a job making MB Tex almost indistinguishable from leather (and accidentally installed leather). The MB Tex on the front arm rest, dash, and doors also appears unaffected.
I don't believe anyone has seen this on anything but the seats and the headrests. Even the TSB refers to seat covers and headrests only.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350

My goodness, that sweat is just gross.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
My dealership just got back to me with a mid February ETA for the solution to roll out from the factory.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:01 PM

2015 C300
I created this account just to share my pictures, I have to say that I'm pretty annoyed by this.

I have an appointment with my dealer this Saturday. The service manager said that apparently it can be fixed while I wait, but I'll be sure to bring a copy of the TSB to ensure they actually replace the headrest and cover and don't just run a damp rag over the seats and say it's fixed.

The rear seats aren't as bad as the front, but still show signs of the "bleeding".

I picked up this car on November 8th, so I've only had it for 2 months. Less than 1300 miles on it and this will be the second trip to service (first visit was unrelated navigation / COMAND issue).

Funnily enough, my previous car was a Range Rover Evoque, and even though JLR has a reputation for poor reliability (isn't the joke that you buy two so you have something to drive while the first is in the shop?), the Evoque was solid (and real leather!). I was considering the XF 3.0 AWD, but eventually went with the W205 because I liked the newness. Maybe I made a mistake.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I wonder how they plan to solve the problems with the right seat covers as it couldnt be replaced at this moment according to the Service Bulletin.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by 81dollar
I created this account just to share my pictures, I have to say that I'm pretty annoyed by this.

What are those very distict shapes on bottom of the backrest on both the left and right sides? They look like mirror images of each other.

I do not recall seeing that type of lining of the bleeding on other pictures (they may just not have shown up in the image).

Other pictures I have seen here appear to have the bleeding from the actual mb-tex whereas yours looks to be coming from something UNDER the cover???
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by vic viper
I wonder how they plan to solve the problems with the right seat covers as it couldnt be replaced at this moment according to the Service Bulletin.
My guess is the problem has to do with the passenger weight airbag mechanism and it's possible that has to be replaced/calibrated using something an average shop doesn't have?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by vic viper
The supplier has to develop a plan to add or divert volume of clean material or seat sets (likely just the covers, although the airbag occupant sensing calibration for the front right seat is a challenge) while not starving the Vance plant. This likely means a two-phase solution. Interim is cleaning seat while long-term will eventually be replacement, I would think.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:20 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350

I have an appointment with my dealer this Saturday. The service manager said that apparently it can be fixed while I wait, but I'll be sure to bring a copy of the TSB to ensure they actually replace the headrest and cover and don't just run a damp rag over the seats and say it's fixed.

The rear seats aren't as bad as the front, but still show signs of the "bleeding".

I picked up this car on November 8th, so I've only had it for 2 months. Less than 1300 miles on it and this will be the second trip to service (first visit was unrelated navigation / COMAND issue).

Funnily enough, my previous car was a Range Rover Evoque, and even though JLR has a reputation for poor reliability (isn't the joke that you buy two so you have something to drive while the first is in the shop?), the Evoque was solid (and real leather!). I was considering the XF 3.0 AWD, but eventually went with the W205 because I liked the newness. Maybe I made a mistake.

Don't feel any guilt about the Evoque trade-in, great vehicle but in my opinion, not even close to the engineering you get from the W205. And not very attractive - that dramatic concept car design is getting very old, very quickly. I never for the life of me understood that model to be honest and it never deserved the Range Rover moniker.

I've been a long time Land Rover owner, grew up around them and know them well, but since 2010, their vehicles have been absolutely rock solid when it comes to reliability. Almost uncanny. Back in the day, they were very unreliable. Ever hear that saying that Land Rovers are the most unreliable, reliable car on the planet? Meaning, they may have broke down or presented insanely frustrating electrical issues, but when it came to off-roading ability, they are the best in the world. At least for all of their models except the LR2 and Evoque which are merely magazine cars.

As for the W205, this seat bleeding issue is pretty bad. Mercedes-Benz will fix this issue. BUT, I personally think they should try and mitigate it more quickly, since the side-effect is truly vomitus.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 01-08-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM

2015 C 300
Is it reasonable to insist on a loaner until this is fixed, even if it takes weeks / two months? Even if there is no health issue, it's really gross sitting in oil / chemicals each time I drive my car. Even if I clean it all off, given the cold temps it all comes back the next time I drive it. I would hope MB would agree that having me sit in this oil on a daily basis for a month or two is not acceptable given the car is two weeks old.

Last edited by richardamp; 01-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:29 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Is it reasonable to insist on a loaner until this is fixed, even if it takes weeks / two months? Even if there is no health issue, it's really gross sitting in oil / chemicals each time I drive my car. Even if I clean it all off, given the cold temps it all comes back the next time I drive it. I would hope MB would agree that having me sit in this oil on a daily basis for a month or two is not acceptable.

I'm literally the nicest car owner you'll ever meet. When I go in with issues I'm nice as pie. And if I have to return multiple times for the same issue, I'm pleasant and patient. I'm very, very reasonable and understand cars have issues.

But if this issue, if it were happening to my car, regardless of brand, I would be requesting a loaner ASAP without question - as this is 100% no questions asked UNACCETPABLE!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 PM

E90 335i
Originally Posted by goherdibg
What are those very distict shapes on bottom of the backrest on both the left and right sides? They look like mirror images of each other.

I do not recall seeing that type of lining of the bleeding on other pictures (they may just not have shown up in the image).

Other pictures I have seen here appear to have the bleeding from the actual mb-tex whereas yours looks to be coming from something UNDER the cover???
maybe the outline of the heated seat elements below the fabric?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by bwoodbmw
maybe the outline of the heated seat elements below the fabric?
That was my guess as well. too structured to be random
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Don't feel any guilt about the Evoque trade-in, great vehicle but in my opinion, not even close to the engineering you get from the W205. And not very attractive - that dramatic concept car design is getting very old, very quickly. I never for the life of me understood that model to be honest and it never deserved the Range Rover moniker.

I've been a long time Land Rover owner, grew up around them and know them well, but since 2010, their vehicles have been absolutely rock solid when it comes to reliability. Almost uncanny. Back in the day, they were very unreliable. Ever hear that saying that Land Rovers are the most unreliable, reliable car on the planet? Meaning, they may have broke down or presented insanely frustrating electrical issues, but when it came to off-roading ability, they are the best in the world. At least for all of their models except the LR2 and Evoque which are merely magazine cars.

As for the W205, this seat bleeding issue is pretty bad. Mercedes-Benz will fix this issue. BUT, I personally think they should try and mitigate it more quickly, since the side-effect is truly vomitus.

Actually the dramatic design is what attracted me (and the mrs.) to the Evoque, especially since we got it right when they were first available. Definitely received a lot of compliments, even though it was the baby RR and not a "real" one (one day, I'll own a Sport!). Of course, the swooping design made the Evoque very impractical, that design was always about looks vs. function.

The technology in the W205 is amazing, especially when you compare it to the XF (to be fair it's probably the last MY of the current design). That's part of the reason I was so attracted to the C300. Although I do miss the Meridian sound system as I personally think it blows the Burmester out of the water.

Sorry about going so off topic

I'll report back after my service appointment on Saturday.

Last edited by 81dollar; 01-08-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Actually the dramatic design is what attracted me (and the mrs.) to the Evoque, especially since we got it right when they were first available. Definitely received a lot of compliments, even though it was the baby RR and not a "real" one (one day, I'll own a Sport!). Of course, the swooping design made the Evoque very impractical, that design was always about looks vs. function.

The technology in the W205 is amazing, especially when you compare it to the XF (to be fair it's probably the last MY of the current design). That's part of the reason I was so attracted to the C300. Although I do miss the Meridian sound system as I personally think it blows the Burmester out of the water.

Sorry about going so off topic

I'll report back after my service appointment on Saturday.
My wife drives a XF...when I drive it, I wear that sedan like a Tom Ford suit cut for James Bond.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updates: The MB-Tex Problem