C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Taillight / Bumper Alignment Responses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c300
Originally Posted by icycrazydesi
so people are getting their taillight/bumper alignment fixed by dealers? hmm honestly i didn't even know about this until i read it in the forums then went back and checked it on my car and was able to see it.

I bought my car 1 month ago in NJ now its been a month and I live in Boston, wondering if its worth it to bring this issue with my dealer and getting it fixed.
I am bringing mine in to Flagship Motorcars in Lynfield Ma on 2/9. They didn't flinch when I mentioned the problem however, I was the first to bring it to there attention. This dealer is top notch on customer service and would recommend them if you are in the Boston area. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by Matts2015c300
I am bringing mine in to Flagship Motorcars in Lynfield Ma on 2/9. They didn't flinch when I mentioned the problem however, I was the first to bring it to there attention. This dealer is top notch on customer service and would recommend them if you are in the Boston area. Good luck.
I wouldn't expect much to be honest. When I called and scheduled they said "oh that's certainly fixable under warranty". Once I brought it in they said "compared to our other inventory this is by design". I've had two dealerships tell me this, both of which my family has been customers of for 15 years.

If all the clips, braces, brackets, etc are in the correct place they most likely are not going to really be able to do anything about it. I believe the theory that it's not an alignment issue but a production issue with the plastic bumper.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by Pracht
I wouldn't expect much to be honest. When I called and scheduled they said "oh that's certainly fixable under warranty". Once I brought it in they said "compared to our other inventory this is by design". I've had two dealerships tell me this, both of which my family has been customers of for 15 years.

If all the clips, braces, brackets, etc are in the correct place they most likely are not going to really be able to do anything about it. I believe the theory that it's not an alignment issue but a production issue with the plastic bumper.
Since some cars do have a flush panel fit, it is apparent that the step is not the way it should be. The fact that almost all US production leaves the factory with the step, as well as a smaller number of German and SA production, means that there is a an inherent design issue with either the fender or bumper cover. Since several dealers have been able to get a flush fit using shims on the bumper cover, it is likely to be either the cover or its mounting hardware. Some owners of the most recent production cars have claimed that their bumper covers match up well with the fenders, so it can be done.

Although this is a very common issue, I don't think it's normal now that some cars have been fixed. Any MB dealer should be able to adjust this as a warranty item ... if not, a call to MB Customer Service might help move things along. Worst case scenario would be to have a local body shop fix it, which shouldn't be a big job.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 AM

C250 W205 in Polar White
Stan, I'll check the bumper/taillight on my C250 (SA built) when I take delivery of the car next week or so.

At least you guys have a comparison between US and SA built W205s
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SirC250
Stan, I'll check the bumper/taillight on my C250 (SA built) when I take delivery of the car next week or so.

At least you guys have a comparison between US and SA built W205s
Thanks ... that should be an interesting comparison.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by BenzC400
The repair paperwork says "rear bumper and tail light not seated correctly", "rear bumper found not flush with body", "removed rear bumper and shimmed to fit properly with body, reinstalled bumper", "seam around taillight normal"
I'm not auto repair expert, but that seems like a significant effort to fix something relatively minor. I'm just nervous that they'll make something worse in the process of fixing something that isn't too big a deal. Is this a fairly easy repair for a good dealer / body shop?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 AM

W205 220 BT
My bumper is OK, my taillight stick out more or less 4 mm from the body. Nevertheless they're different from some photos I saw here in the post: I can not see the black plastic through the fissure between the body and the taillight. I think it should be correctly mounted even if I didn't look at other cars. Am I right?!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
E53
Originally Posted by richardamp
I'm not auto repair expert, but that seems like a significant effort to fix something relatively minor. I'm just nervous that they'll make something worse in the process of fixing something that isn't too big a deal. Is this a fairly easy repair for a good dealer / body shop?

I too am concerned that the bumper repair could cause other problems, especially with the electronic sensors in the rear bumper area (parktronic, pre-safe etc.) I'll have to keep alert to potential problems. So far, the electronics seem fine, but a piece of plastic trim will need to be readjusted.

I have to bring it back to the dealer in 2 weeks when the part to repair my failed drivers door handle light arrives. I should have a good idea by then if there are any problems.

My dealer has been very responsive and helpful throughout this process.

Last edited by BenzC400; 02-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 AM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
Just saw my car at the dealer. SA built in Dec 19 2014.

The rear bumper has the same issue as the US ones. This is an AMG line so not sure if it's related to that at all.

The car gets registered next week and I haven't paid for it yet but I told my sales guy he needs to fix it prior to delivery!

He said he will get the workshop on it. For comparison there was another AMG line on the showroom floor. Perfect fit!

Really makes me wonder.

Last edited by jkyriakou; 01-30-2015 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Need Your Help

This is why we need to work together to get this problem addressed. The lazy azz dealers will tell you misaligned bumpers are "normal" because they don't want to take responsibility. Most of us will give up or take the car to a good body shop and pay to fix it ourselves. The good guys, who should be named here, will make the repair under warranty. We need to keep score and name names, good guys and bad guys.

This "they all look like that" BS can be overcome by taking your car in and then,
1) calling MBUSA to complain about problem and the lousy dealer service if they will not fix it. Also, make sure to post your negative experience here.
2) posting the dealer name and before and after pictures here if they do fix the bumper. These good guy dealers need some praise for standing up for we owners and this information helps when talking to MBUSA about equal treatment.

I am making this plea because when I called MBUSA to complain about bleeding seats, which they were helpful with, when I mentioned the bumper they (MBUSA) claimed this problem had not been brought to their attention by the dealers or owners. they said they look to the dealers and warranty claims to establish a problem. So, the dealers are free to make this repair or not until MBUSA recognizes it as a problem. The only way to do that is for as many W205 owners as possible demand bumper repair through their dealers and MBUSA.

My car goes in to RAB Motors, San Rafael, CA. on 2/9. I will be sure to let both MBUSA and as many consumers as possible know how this goes (thru MB boards, Yelp, Edmunds, etc.). Since the service manager is already singing the "they are all built that way" song without even seeing the car, I know where this is going. That is why I need your help. If you have had your bumper repaired, please post here or IM me with the dealer name, location, before and after photos (if you have them), or anything else that I can use to document that repairs are being done under warranty across the country. I hope to use this information to prove that misaligned bumpers are not "normal" and repairs are being done by responsible dealerships. I also need this information to share with MBUSA if RAB chooses not to do the right thing.

For some of us who are lucky enough to live in areas were there are many MB dealers, I think it is to our advantage to communicate with each other about which dealers care about the buyer and which do not. That way, we can make better informed choices about where we should spend our service dollars and buy our next Mercedes-Benz. For example, I live in the San Francisco Bay area and there are 9 MB dealerships within 30 miles of my door and another 5 within 75 miles. Where should I spend my money, refer my friends to, praise in print? Or, not.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by jkyriakou
Just saw my car at the dealer. SA built in Dec 19 2014.

The rear bumper has the same issue as the US ones. This is an AMG line so not sure if it's related to that at all.

The car gets registered next week and I haven't paid for it yet but I told my sales guy he needs to fix it prior to delivery!

He said he will get the workshop on it. For comparison there was another AMG line on the showroom floor. Perfect fit!

Really makes me wonder.
That's at least 2 SA cars reported on this forum built with the misaligned bumper. How is this issue getting past their meticulous QC process?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM

C200 AMG Line Premium Plus
Checked my SA built, UK delivered C200 AMG Line.

Pleased to say the bumper and rear light alignment looks absolutely fine.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
That's at least 2 SA cars reported on this forum built with the misaligned bumper. How is this issue getting past their meticulous QC process?

Craps going global?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by miketc
Craps going global?

Seems more like the USA factory sometimes gets it right by mistake while the SA factory sometimes makes a mistake and doesn't get it right.

Who has a US built W205 with a properly aligned bumper that came that why from the factory? Would love to see some pictures of that rare beast.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by gocal73
Seems more like the USA factory sometimes gets it right by mistake while the SA factory sometimes makes a mistake and doesn't get it right.

Who has a US built W205 with a properly aligned bumper that came that why from the factory? Would love to see some pictures of that rare beast.

Agreed with SA made a rare mistake. Not I but I thought the fit was close.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
What is the spec/tolerance?

Somewhere on here somebody posted, in German, what appear to be the specs/tolerances for taillight alignment. Perhaps someone could translate that or otherwise state definitively what would be considered defective.

A separate, but related, issue is the bumper alignment with the fender. Some official specs/tolerances there would be helpful as well.

Then owners can all either stop worrying about it and blaming Alabama if it is within spec, or have ammunition to go to their dealers to get the issue(s) rectified.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:13 AM

C3004matic, BMW 328d xdrive
Originally Posted by djdj
Somewhere on here somebody posted, in German, what appear to be the specs/tolerances for taillight alignment. Perhaps someone could translate that or otherwise state definitively what would be considered defective.

A separate, but related, issue is the bumper alignment with the fender. Some official specs/tolerances there would be helpful as well.

Then owners can all either stop worrying about it and blaming Alabama if it is within spec, or have ammunition to go to their dealers to get the issue(s) rectified.
Es gibt für die Passung der Rückleuchte genaue Angaben und Prüfwerte, habe diese Mal zu einer Übersicht zusammengefasst.
Die Rückleuchte an sich sollte immer korrekt verbaut sein und kann maximal im geringen Bereich in Richtung Fahrzeugmitte (oder nach Außen hin) korrigiert werden. Steht der Stoßfänger trotzdem im Vergleich zur Rückleuchte zu weit hinein oder heraus, so muss dessen Passung korrigiert werden.

and in Google Translation:

It is for the fit of the tail lamp specifications and test values, this time I combined into an index. The tail lamp itself should be installed always correct and can be up to a small area in the direction of the vehicle center be corrected (to the outside or no). If the bumper anyway compared to the tail lamp too far in or out, so the fit must be corrected.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Es gibt für die Passung der Rückleuchte genaue Angaben und Prüfwerte, habe diese Mal zu einer Übersicht zusammengefasst.
Die Rückleuchte an sich sollte immer korrekt verbaut sein und kann maximal im geringen Bereich in Richtung Fahrzeugmitte (oder nach Außen hin) korrigiert werden. Steht der Stoßfänger trotzdem im Vergleich zur Rückleuchte zu weit hinein oder heraus, so muss dessen Passung korrigiert werden.

It is for the fit of the tail lamp specifications and test values, this time I combined into an index. The tail lamp itself should be installed always correct and can be up to a small area in the direction of the vehicle center be corrected (to the outside or no). If the bumper anyway compared to the tail lamp too far in or out, so the fit must be corrected. "

This good stuff IF this quote is from Mercedes-Benz. It would be super helpful to have this picture and quote identified to present to the dealer as evidence that misaligned bumpers are not "normal".

Can anyone here translate in a more elegant way than Google? Would be so cool if you could put the translation and tolerance picture together. I'd love to take a copy with me when my car goes in on Feb 9.

If enough of us complain, MBUSA will address the issue.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gocal73
Can anyone here translate in a more elegant way than Google?

Thanks.
Adjust as needed.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM

MBs
The text is from Der Landgraf who owns the "Blackbird", a C250 W205 which he picked up in Bremen and made a video about, and it is based on info from Mercedes-Benz.

TRANSLATED QUOTE
For the fitting of the tail lamp there are precise specifications and test values, which I summarized into a table.

The tail lamp itself should always be installed correctly, and can only be adjusted to a small extent in the direction of the vehicle center or towards the outside.

If the bumper is pushed in too far compared to the tail lamp or sticks out, the fit must be corrected.

On my C250 "Blackbird" it fits on the driver's side 100% and on the passenger side I have in area C and D a minimal deviation, which I plan to correct in the spring.

Star greetings.

Der Landgraf (his website is http://5komma6.mercedes-benz-passion.com/)
Attached Thumbnails Taillight / Bumper Alignment Responses-207702879-w988-h988.jpg  

Last edited by Wolfgang; 01-31-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM

Acura TL & C-Class
Quick question guys, for those of you that have a sport package on a C300, when you tap/slight hit the rear fender, does the fender make a rattling noise? I have a new C300 and I gave it to the dealer and to check. After checking they said that its built like that and that there is nothing they can do about it. Just curious if you guys are experiencing this. I really don't think the car is supposed to be made like that. I've never seen any car like this.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Which side? Tap it where exactly?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by rogerfrancis14
After checking they said that its built like that
Ahhhh of course - it's done like that on purpose you silly customer. That's the trademark in-built Mercedes factory rattle.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Need taillight specifications in English

Originally Posted by djdj

Originally Posted by emilryba

It is for the fit of the tail lamp specifications and test values, this time I combined into an index. The tail lamp itself should be installed always correct and can be up to a small area in the direction of the vehicle center be corrected (to the outside or no). If the bumper anyway compared to the tail lamp too far in or out, so the fit must be corrected.
emilryba posted an image those taillight specifications (defined in German), found on p. 1 of this thread (comment #18, 01-20-2015, 12:33 PM). It is the same image to which the thumbnail in Wolfgang's comment is linked. This image does not appear to be an official MB publication. My German wife is well educated and spent her entire working life in Germany. Still, she was unable to translate any of the technical terms that define what the numbers mean. However, she was not educated in science and engineering.

I found that quote by Der Landgraf on Motor-talk.de, in Der Landgraf's post of 18. Januar 2015 um 19:01:29 Uhr. http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/alles...8.html?page=40. It, too, is not an official MB publication.

I think we need numbers, that is, numerical specifications, and we need their definitions in English. So, do any of the MB technical personnel who comment on MBWorld have access to MB technical manuals (or have any friends who do)?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 PM

2011 Ford Mustang GT
Originally Posted by gfmohn
emilryba posted an image those taillight specifications (defined in German), found on p. 1 of this thread (comment #18, 01-20-2015, 12:33 PM). It is the same image to which the thumbnail in Wolfgang's comment is linked. This image does not appear to be an official MB publication. My German wife is well educated and spent her entire working life in Germany. Still, she was unable to translate any of the technical terms that define what the numbers mean. However, she was not educated in science and engineering.

I found that quote by Der Landgraf on Motor-talk.de, in Der Landgraf's post of 18. Januar 2015 um 19:01:29 Uhr. http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/alles...8.html?page=40. It, too, is not an official MB publication.

I think we need numbers, that is, numerical specifications, and we need their definitions in English. So, do any of the MB technical personnel who comment on MBWorld have access to MB technical manuals (or have any friends who do)?
"Fuge" means gap and "Versatz" means offset. "Sollmass" is simply the term for nominal measure as compared to "Istmass" for the actual measure. The sentence on the right specifies the reference point for the offset.

The guy who made this table is an MB fan and car owner. As such it is not an official MB document. He also does not specify where he got them from.

Even his made-in-Bremen car is slightly out of specifications on the passenger side in areas C and D.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Taillight / Bumper Alignment Responses