C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Consistent wind Noise @ highway speed upper corner front door/window.
I have the wind noise and have NOT had it fixed
69.53%
I had the wind noise and they found a fix (Please post details)
0.78%
I don't have wind noise specific to that area (Or don't hear well enough to notice)
29.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Window/door upper corner wind noise poll >45mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Window/door upper corner wind noise poll >45mph

Not just on MBWorld, noticed on German forum that there's talk of wind noise, very specifically at the upper, front area of the door, most noticed driver side only at speed. Silent at city speeds. Doesn't seem impacted whether sunroof/pano/none. Clearly stands out from other areas of noise Unsure how prevalent it is.

Someone posted not long ago about C400 issue, and some attempts at fix by changing/adjusting window or door seal. And raised the question of noise starting at upper corner of windshield. I'm unaware of any fix, or photo showing where taping the appropriate areas eliminates it helping to find a fix.

Last edited by floridadriver; 02-07-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My C300 Luxury loaner had obvious wind noise coming from the driver's side window. Not terrible, but it was always there at higher speeds.

When I got back into my own C300, I immediately noticed the lack of any wind noise, even at higher speeds.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
StanNH-did your car have wind noise before you took it to the dealer? If so how did they fix it? Or was it just the loaner with the wind noise? In which case you finally missed a W205 problem!
Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gocal73
StanNH-did your car have wind noise before you took it to the dealer? If so how did they fix it? Or was it just the loaner with the wind noise? In which case you finally missed a W205 problem!
Just the loaner. My car has always been quiet .... not particularly reliable, but quiet.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 AMG Line Premium Plus
Thumbs down

Poll seems odd in that there is no clear option for "I have no wind noise".

The option listed includes the doubt that although you think that you don't have it, you might not hear well enough to notice!

I haven't voted. I have no wind noise and yes, I do hear well enough to notice.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM

2015 C300 RWD
In hopes to help someone with the problem, from searching other posts that some have tried having the door seal replaced/adjusted w/o much success. And one member had dealer tape near windshield with improvement, but no solution beyond tape. Another member tried to duplicate this with tape w/o success. Someone posted that near the mirror trim seal missing, which uncertain if it fixed.

Has anyone had the WINDOW run channel seal replaced? I was at the dealer (service department closed today) and noticed with windows down on several C300s, at the top, the front 1/3 of the windows gap for is wider than the portion closer to the rear of the car. This top, front area is where complaint of noise seems to be when present (though some cars obviously got different alignment/seal/???).

Last edited by floridadriver; 02-08-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Taping between the window and the driver door the entire way around seemed to improve the noise on a test drive. A new window seal would require glass removal and possibly it's the same part??? Hopefully, a TSB will come.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
Took a drive, radio off, after reading this post. No wind noise. January build date. Not sure if am lucky or if MB has addressed this.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 AM

2015 C300 RWD
That's cool....but other January build dates have it. Seems hit or miss. A lot has to do with wind outside when driving, or the perception of the driver. Dealer don't hear it in a test drive while I believe him to his ears, but to me very noticeable.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:05 AM

W205
1/8/15 build here - have wind noise from both driver and passenger side. Would not mind if the engine noise was louder/sweeter.

Wish we had acoustic glass.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 AM

C350
Have a Feb build C300 and have wind noise on both front windows.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:10 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Is there a recording of what this sound like? You always get some road noise.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:32 PM

2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Not sure this poll gives much of a clue as to the preponderance of this problem. Assuming those that actually have the problem would vote in the poll, there have been 600 views and only 15 that said that they are having the problem - even if you work on the basis that only 50% of the readers actually own a car, today, then this is <5%.

Be good the get a more accurate view?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 G63, 2024 S63
Had a loaner C300 last week and the wind noise was terrible, the problem definitely doesn't exist in my C400.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by solarflare
Is there a recording of what this sound like? You always get some road noise.
This is a specific wind noise near top front of door and window, as though the door or window isn't quite shut. Not sure how to record, it would sound like wind noise, just more glaring from this one spot. Sounds many cars have it, some don't, as evident from those with loaners who obviously her the difference.

Interesting that zero have found a fix from MB to date. Hopefully one will come soon with a TSB.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Just voted, and yes I have the wind noise. Sounds like it is coming from the top of the driver's side front window, a little forward of center.

It also seems to be variable, as sometimes I can hear it from the passenger side and not the driver's side.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Just voted, and yes I have the wind noise. Sounds like it is coming from the top of the driver's side front window, a little forward of center.

It also seems to be variable, as sometimes I can hear it from the passenger side and not the driver's side.
That's the spot. It gets worse with time. And crosswinds. And if wet. I think 100% of the cars are affected, just not as noticeable in some builds. (including the one I test drove before ordering).

I'd recommend folks email or call MBUSA, certainly nothing to lose. If they say they haven't had a run of complaints, they are lying.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:31 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by kellens
That's the spot. It gets worse with time. And crosswinds. And if wet. I think 100% of the cars are affected, just not as noticeable in some builds. (including the one I test drove before ordering).

I'd recommend folks email or call MBUSA, certainly nothing to lose. If they say they haven't had a run of complaints, they are lying.
My C300 has road noise, same place, drivers side window. It's been in the shop now for about three weeks for that and numerous other build issues including the seat issue. Right now I have a C300 loaner and it has the wind noise in spades. My wife's Jeep is quieter ... I have driven them back to back. When I called MB a few weeks ago the rep said that was the first he had heard of a wind noise issue.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 PM

C300 W205
I have the same issue, not sure if its worth taking it to MB. Not sure if they can do anything, everyone seems to have this problem.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
After a long drive trip with my wife, I start noticing there is a wind noise from the driver door that was not there before. At first, I commented it seem like a windy day. Then it become just constant wind noise. I hope there is a solution soon.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 AM
AAN

2015 C300 Lux 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Diesel Don
My C300 has road noise, same place, drivers side window. It's been in the shop now for about three weeks for that and numerous other build issues including the seat issue. Right now I have a C300 loaner and it has the wind noise in spades. My wife's Jeep is quieter ... I have driven them back to back. When I called MB a few weeks ago the rep said that was the first he had heard of a wind noise issue.
It is hard to understand the MBUSA attitude of denying and delaying. How many times they can hear about the same problem for the first time? Instead of quickly getting on top of this issue they only aggravate their most loyal customers. Sooner or later they will have to fix it, wouldn't that be better to do it sooner?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
You're assuming quite a bit there though. That A) its been reported in sufficient quantity to make them take note. B) that they know what the issue actually is. C) That their rectification team takes this seriously, as a priority or its somewhere at the top of a probably long list of more serious faults.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
You're assuming quite a bit there though. That A) its been reported in sufficient quantity to make them take note. B) that they know what the issue actually is. C) That their rectification team takes this seriously, as a priority or its somewhere at the top of a probably long list of more serious faults.
This brings up an interesting point. Of all the myriad issues being reported for the first year W205 cars, which ones are considered serious enough for the factories to change assembly protocols or suppliers? So far, the only public acknowledgement of a defect has been the MB-Tex TSB ... and that was only to announce the plan for the repair kit. It did not deal with the scope of the problem, nor the root cause.

I've been on other car forums where a Customer Service rep was present to at least refer owners with problems to the proper channels. They will often give some information out regarding various issues ... and let concerned customers know that the company is aware of a particular issue and is dealing with it. When I bought my 2005 Corvette, I quickly learned that that model year Vette, when equipped with a manual transmission, could inexplicably drain a good battery within 24 hours. On Corvette Forum we soon dubbed this DBS, or Dead Battery Syndrome. GM quickly acknowledged the problem and actually bought back several affected cars to run as test mules. It took them a year to figure it all out, but they did, and issued a TSB calling for a complete reflash of the BCM ... which was a 100% fix for a series of small "if this than that" software errors. Through all of this, GM had active reps on the major Corvette forums and kept us updated on what was happening.

That online presence is what I'm not seeing here. Even the case managers at MB-USA seem to have very limited knowledge of the potential first year problems that can plague this car. "Everything will be just fine" is not the same as "We're aware of the problem and this is what we're doing about it."

There are many questions and very few answers. MB-Tex bleeding? Yes, that's been addressed with the TSB. Poor fuel door fit, misaligned rear bumper covers, wind noise, flaky Keyless Go operation, sagging sunroof shades, iPhone 6 connect issues, transmission harshness, defective door LED's, and other reported issues have never been acknowledged at all. Are these problems truly widespread? Is the factory aware of any of these issues? Are they working on solutions, have solutions already been implemented? None of us know the answers to any of these questions.

I think we can all agree on one thing ... the new C-Class is an exceptionally well designed car. There is very little about this car I don't like ... it really does everything right and I admire all the engineering and thought that went into its development. Production, unfortunately, has been a whole other issue. US build quality certainly has fallen far short of the engineering and design standards that went into this car. I just wish MB would be more proactive in dealing with all the annoying build issues that seem to crop up with frustrating frequency. QC at the Alabama facility has been an obvious problem area, but poor PR does nothing but make a bad situation even worse.

Last edited by StanNH; 03-04-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
AAN

2015 C300 Lux 4MATIC
Originally Posted by StanNH
This brings up an interesting point. Of all the myriad issues being reported for the first year W205 cars, which ones are considered serious enough for the factories to change assembly protocols or suppliers? So far, the only public acknowledgement of a defect has been the MB-Tex TSB ... and that was only to announce the plan for the repair kit. It did not deal with the scope of the problem, nor the root cause.

I've been on other car forums where a Customer Service rep was present to at least refer owners with problems to the proper channels. They will often give some information out regarding various issues ... and let concerned customers know that the company is aware of a particular issue and is dealing with it. When I bought my 2005 Corvette, I quickly learned that that model year Vette, when equipped with a manual transmission, could inexplicably drain a good battery within 24 hours. On Corvette Forum we soon dubbed this DBS, or Dead Battery Syndrome. GM quickly acknowledged the problem and actually bought back several affected cars to run as test mules. It took them a year to figure it all out, but they did, and issued a TSB calling for a complete reflash of the BCM ... which was a 100% fix for a series of small "if this than that" software errors. Through all of this, GM had active reps on the major Corvette forums and kept us updated on what was happening.

That online presence is what I'm not seeing here. Even the case managers at MB-USA seem to have very limited knowledge of the potential first year problems that can plague this car. "Everything will be just fine" is not the same as "We're aware of the problem and this is what we're doing about it."

There are many questions and very few answers. MB-Tex bleeding? Yes, that's been addressed with the TSB. Poor fuel door fit, misaligned rear bumper covers, wind noise, flaky Keyless Go operation, sagging sunroof shades, iPhone 6 connect issues, transmission harshness, defective door LED's, and other reported issues have never been acknowledged at all. Are these problems truly widespread? Is the factory aware of any of these issues? Are they working on solutions, have solutions already been implemented? None of us know the answers to any of these questions.

I think we can all agree on one thing ... the new C-Class is an exceptionally well designed car. There is very little about this car I don't like ... it really does everything right and I admire all the engineering and thought that went into its development. Production, unfortunately, has been a whole other issue. US build quality certainly has fallen far short of the engineering and design standards that went into this car. I just wish MB would be more proactive in dealing with all the annoying build issues that seem to crop up with frustrating frequency. QC at the Alabama facility has been an obvious problem area, but poor PR does nothing but make a bad situation even worse.
This is exactly how I feel. I am planning on getting a new C class in March, but hesitate, because I don't feel I will be taken care of in case of any problems. If I was responsible for the introduction of W205, I would be all over the forums, hunting the problems and working on solutions. Most importantly, I would make sure the customers are reassured and know what I am doing.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
My specially ordered C300 arrived last night, and I went to pick it up today and there's wind noise that seems worse than the car I test drove. I REFUSED THE CAR. The dealer sales manager has become a friend of mine, and she said she is going to return it to Vance, Alabama agreeing it's worse than most, which even the best are too noisy at this one spot.

MBUSA denies there's any issue. The service department can only document if there's problems out of the norm or a fixable part. MBUSA only has owners calling in complaints to compile. Maybe my car being returned will help raise a flag, but I doubt it.

ALL of the C300s they said, no matter how quiet the come, develop this problem, especially once temperature changes come. When someone brings car in for another issue, the service team is not allowed to point out 'hey, hear all that noise?'? Some owners complain. Some just don't hear it or care. In a crosswind, you can't really talk without raising voice. They must have done the DB testing in a wind free environment or under 30mph. Some cars not through enough warm/cold cycles for it to develop.

They claim this is not just an issue from US built C300s/C400s, it has been noted internally from other factories.

I'm still a fan of the car, but am exploring other options. The dealer is ordering another one with special mention of this return, yet returning my deposit. If when it comes it's improved, I'll buy it, if not, someone else can who is partially deaf I suppose.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window/door upper corner wind noise poll >45mph