C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Does the automatic headlights turn on the headlight when its raining?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Does the automatic headlights turn on the headlight when its raining?

It finally rain for the first time I have C300. One thing I noticed is that the automatic headlights does not seem to turn on under raining condition. I thought that would be a standard feature by now. I wonder why MB would left it. I know BMW has the new feature on their line up. It seemed easy enough to implement. Why would they drop the feature?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Auto lights work on light brightness and frequency. They're not perfect and sometimes you need to override them. Just today on my BMW I had to do this because it was foggy yet the lights didn't come on.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I was going to ask this same question because my 09 W204 has this feature.

Both the headlights and the wipers have to be set on auto, and after a few auto swipes of the windshield, the headlights would turn on. Its not instant, takes about 5 or more swipes
The following users liked this post:
ath20 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by joshg1001
I was going to ask this same question because my 09 W204 has this feature.

Both the headlights and the wipers have to be set on auto, and after a few auto swipes of the windshield, the headlights would turn on. Its not instant, takes about 5 or more swipes
I took a drive. You are right. It takes a while for it to start. I noticed it starts faster if the rain was heavier. So I guess they do have this feature. The manual did not say anything about this.

My wiper unfortunately is making really loud noise. This is the nosiest wiper I ever seem on a car. I will take it to dealership along with many other little noises to let them fix all at once. I am hoping this will fix everything and I don't have to worry about the car until the car seats replacement is more widely available.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
are you still going to do the seat replacement even though you are in the bay area?

Is the wiper noise a problem with the motor or is it just rubbing on the glass awkwardly
Old 02-08-2015, 08:15 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
are you still going to do the seat replacement even though you are in the bay area?

Is the wiper noise a problem with the motor or is it just rubbing on the glass awkwardly
The wiper noise is wiper blade contact on glass. It basically can not smoothly wipe through the glass and skipped on top of the glass.

Yes, I am going to replace the seats cover. I will talk to the SA about the TSB regarding the seats this week. The one thing nice about dealers is that they love making money. If MB authorize the change with TSB that applies, they will be happy to charge to MB and make more money. Remember, once they find the TSB, they are on your side. In that area, they are your friend. My only concern is leaving my car there for too long. I would rather make an appointment once they got the parts.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
Usually the TSB states that it can only be performed if your car exhibits the symptoms. Because they are seeking reimbursement from MB corporate, I would be interested to see if they will get any backlash since corporate knows it only happens at freezing temperatures. I am guessing they are not shipping any of the kits to warm climates

Skipping wipers can often be fixed if you clean the windshield either with vinegar, baking soda, or windex (not all together but try then one at a time) and also using alcohol on the blades to clean them
Old 02-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Usually the TSB states that it can only be performed if your car exhibits the symptoms. Because they are seeking reimbursement from MB corporate, I would be interested to see if they will get any backlash since corporate knows it only happens at freezing temperatures. I am guessing they are not shipping any of the kits to warm climates

Skipping wipers can often be fixed if you clean the windshield either with vinegar, baking soda, or windex (not all together but try then one at a time) and also using alcohol on the blades to clean them
Based on forum posts, this TSB applies to all MB produced before January 5th, 2015 even if it does not exhibit any symptom. I have faith that MB will take care of me. If not, I really question why anybody would own MB after this?

So far, I have been kinda disappointed. I have not received a letter from MB USA regarding this issue. This is in contrast with Honda I owned before. The Honda Accord had a volunteer extended warranty apply to the car after a design defect was found. So Honda USA mailed me a letter saying they are extending the warranty. Years later when the problem pops up, I got it fixed for free.

I expect MB USA to do the same if they want to their reputations and keep doing business with us.

Since I am going the dealer for other reasons, I will let them fix wiper while they are at it. It should be a simple wiper blade replacement.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by solarflare
The wiper noise is wiper blade contact on glass. It basically can not smoothly wipe through the glass and skipped on top of the glass.
Have you tried just cleaning the blade?
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM

Mercedes C300, BMW X5
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Have you tried just cleaning the blade?
Actually it cleared itself up yesterday night. I guess all the water washed off the dirt and made it normal again!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is usually grease that causes the stuttering. Its good practice to clean wipers now and then as it stops the windscreen scratching from the dirt stuck to the grease stuck to the blade.