C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
Old 06-17-2015, 03:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

W205 C300 Engine and Transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
W205 C300 Engine and Transmission

Iam interested in learning more about the engine and transmission in my W205 C300. The window sticker says the country of origin is Germany for both. I've done some google searches without much success. Mostly, all I get is generic stuff from MB sales brochures. Anyone have this information to share, or can you send me to the right place to learn.

BTW, I know someone else started a thread about the differences between MB and BMW ownership. One thing I've noticed, BMW owners are really into their engines, transmissions, suspensions and other mechanicals, while Mercedes owners seem more interested in the technology, cosmetic and luxury aspects of their cars. Not judging. Just observing. I live in both worlds.

Oh, BTW, Infiniti owners are really into tech, LEDs and wheels.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3004matic, BMW 328d xdrive
Originally Posted by gocal73
Iam interested in learning more about the engine and transmission in my W205 C300. The window sticker says the country of origin is Germany for both. I've done some google searches without much success. Mostly, all I get is generic stuff from MB sales brochures. Anyone have this information to share, or can you send me to the right place to learn.

BTW, I know someone else started a thread about the differences between MB and BMW ownership. One thing I've noticed, BMW owners are really into their engines, transmissions, suspensions and other mechanicals, while Mercedes owners seem more interested in the technology, cosmetic and luxury aspects of their cars. Not judging. Just observing. I live in both worlds.

I agree with this opinion. MB owners are interested in cosmetics elegance etc. etc...
BMW holders can search in internet all the information about their cars and many technical details and service electronics remodeling functions ...
These are two worlds, unfortunately, because MB is not so perfect today, so the owner can just enjoy the ride ... and a lot of things you can do yourself
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS

An earlier discussion on this forum said that the engines were made for MB by Nissan in TN. I didn't think they were German made.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
An earlier discussion on this forum said that the engines were made for MB by Nissan in TN. I didn't think they were German made.
Stan - do you still have your window sticker? It will tell you where the car was assembled, % content US (I think), country of origin for engine and transmission. My engine and transmission lists Germany.

Actually, I have no problem if assembled by Nissan. My Infiniti has been close to perfection mechanically. They replaced the GPS unit under warranty the first year. Since then, 52K trouble free miles.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
When we bought the wifes 2015 C300 last month the color/equipment combo she wanted was still on the boat at L.A. harbor. Took them 5 days to unload, ship and prep in Riverside, Ca. They then delivered it to the house. Being on a boat would suggest it was built in Germany. The sticker is in her glove box and she's not home at the time.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by mikbar2
When we bought the wifes 2015 C300 last month the color/equipment combo she wanted was still on the boat at L.A. harbor. Took them 5 days to unload, ship and prep in Riverside, Ca. They then delivered it to the house. Being on a boat would suggest it was built in Germany. The sticker is in her glove box and she's not home at the time.

No offense intended, but I hope you are wrong. I'm going to really feel bad if I could have purchased a German-built C300 instead of the kit car from Alabama.
However, I believe all North American W205's are built in Bama. But the engines and transmissions are from Germany. I'm looking at my window sticker right now, and that's what it says. Well, that explains why there have been so few complaints about engine/transmission issues.
I find it weird though that nobody has any information about the engine and transmission.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4MATIC with Sport Package, Premium, Multimedia, Panorama Roof, Black Ash, & Blind Spot
Maybe the engine and tranny are built in Germany, Alabama...lol I'm kidding. The car could have been put on a boat in Bama since south part of the state borders the Gulf of Mexico then it went thru the Panama Canal to Cali. Doing a Google search shows factory is by train tracks too. So maybe depends on amount of cars being sent to Cali. Could have gone by boat, because of large quantities, as I would assume Cali peeps probably the biggest buyers of C Class due to high dealer density compared to other states on west-coast. I think, but don't quote me as not sure, Cali has one of the biggest Mercedes dealers in the country too. Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 AM

I just looked at the window sticker. The engine and tranny were built in Germany and the car assembled in Al. I have been thru the Al. assembly plant in Birmingham and it is quit impressive. They also have an MB museum there.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have been thru the Al. assembly plant in Birmingham and it is quit impressive. They also have an MB museum there.
Yes, I think we're all very impressed with the Alabama facility.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,401 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by StanNH
Yes, I think we're all very impressed with the Alabama facility.
Lol....
Old 02-13-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Lol....
Do I sense a touch of sarcasm here? Since I am new here if I am missing something please clue me in.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do I sense a touch of sarcasm here? Since I am new here if I am missing something please clue me in.
PeterUbers, I defer to you on this one.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 RWD AMG SPORT ~ Iridium Silver
Germany Made / Alabama & Tenn Assembly ~ C300

My understanding is that the engine parts are fabricated in Germany (block , head, crank etc) with Nissan trained techs in Decherd Tenn assembling the engine to MB specs. The engine is shipped to Tusc Alabama with the transmission sourced from in-house MB. The engine ancillary components are sourced from Nissan vendors (which is a good thing). C300 is assembled in Alabama & much like the old ML SUVs quality control is showing poor results : Bumper alignment, trim, fuel door, drip shields, wiper issues, command system and over all fit & finish issues. The Alabama plant had a big turn around on the ML during the 3rd year of production. I expect the same with the C-Class. The 2017 C-Class should have many of the bugs worked out and up to the MB standards that created the brand loyalty.

C300 engine and transmission problems are low but the assembly of body parts fit & finish is improving but a 2017 model should prove to be world class.
IMHO.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation The Gathering Storm

But the engines and transmissions are from Germany. I'm looking at my window sticker right now, and that's what it says. Well, that explains why there have been so few complaints about engine/transmission issues. ...
[Note by gfmohn: gocal73 wrote his comment in Feb. 2015, which is when my C300 was delivered.]

Originally Posted by 123Britt
My understanding is that the engine parts are fabricated in Germany (block , head, crank etc) with Nissan trained techs in Decherd Tenn assembling the engine to MB specs. The engine is shipped to Tusc Alabama with the transmission sourced from in-house MB. The engine ancillary components are sourced from Nissan vendors (which is a good thing). ...

C300 engine and transmission problems are low but the assembly of body parts fit & finish is improving but a 2017 model should prove to be world class. IMHO.
Several threads at MBWorld are reporting incorrectly DESIGNED wrist pins in C300 engines. See https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ine-noise.html for one of these threads. This problem will affect engines wherever they are built. If caught in time, this problem "only" requires replacement of the pistons and connecting rods! I lost the use of my C300 for two days short of four weeks. A mechanic foreman at my dealer told me they have done "many" such repairs. Another commenter on MBWorld told me the same dealer had done 30! (I have not corroborated this.) It is unknown what happens if it is NOT caught "in time."

Listen carefully to your engine on a cold start (radio off). If you hear a rapid ticking that rises in frequency (but not necessarily volume), you have a problem. It may be injectors or some other things, but you still have a problem. See https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6646567 for my own lengthy write-up. My post includes a reference to the relevant MBUSA tech bulletin, for use if your dealer plays dumb.