C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

New C300. It's LOUD!! ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Sorry it's like that in UK. A lot of competition here. No wonder the C300/C400 is selling like crap here though. It's a great design and engineering piece. But half baked. And MBUSA not stepping up to provide rapid fix for customers concerns.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by HelenR
I just REFUSED my C300 I was waiting for which came in last night, ordered custom, deposit returned. Dealer has been very understanding.
Are there specific issues on this car that cause you to refused it or just from everything that you read here?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by miketc
Are there specific issues on this car that cause you to refused it or just from everything that you read here?
The car came in last night to dealer, this morning 8am I was there and took for a drive before purchase. Main reason refused was wind noise near front/top of window. As though seal missing, but their technician couldn't see anything fixable. It was more obvious in this car than the one we test drove, and my sales manager agreed. She's returning it to factory for the wind issue, and misaligned bumper.

Dealer refunded deposit, and said in good faith would put in another order with specific mention of these items on net star, or however they allocate. Not holding my breath.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
The car came in last night to dealer, this morning 8am I was there and took for a drive before purchase. Main reason refused was wind noise near front/top of window. As though seal missing, but their technician couldn't see anything fixable. It was more obvious in this car than the one we test drove, and my sales manager agreed. She's returning it to factory for the wind issue, and misaligned bumper.

Dealer refunded deposit, and said in good faith would put in another order with specific mention of these items on net star, or however they allocate. Not holding my breath.
Way to go Helen!
Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
When I called MB a few weeks ago about a host of issues with my C, including wind noise from the top/front of the driver's side window, the rep said that was the first time he had heard of any issue with wind noise in the new C. At some point one would think this should cease being a case of first impression for MB.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:07 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
Well, I just picked my car up from the dealer with no improvement in wind noise issue. Dealer states the wind noise is not abnormal. They also did a crappy job on the rear bumper realignment. :-(
Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by c21bill
Well, I just picked my car up from the dealer with no improvement in wind noise issue. Dealer states the wind noise is not abnormal. They also did a crappy job on the rear bumper realignment. :-(
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd just make sure you have MBUSA file your concern about the wind noise. They might say you're the 'first' to raise the issue (you're not). No immediate reaction, but eventually, they'll have to amend the seals or whatever the issue is with the wind whistle.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Today I drove 50 miles on the freeway and the wind noise was not objectionable. Yes, there were noticeable whispers of wind noise but having had the car now for 2.5 weeks I would not have done things differently regarding my purchase. It seems like in the past I have heard it louder (maybe it depends on wind?)

Earlier this week I emailed MBUSA regarding this issue and I missed the return phone call. The very nice lady said she checked with Product Advice who said to look for any tape or stickers that may not have been removed by the dealer.
I didn't see any.

She said I could also take the car to my dealer and have them check the door alignment and window seals.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Today I drove 50 miles on the freeway and the wind noise was not objectionable. Yes, there were noticeable whispers of wind noise but having had the car now for 2.5 weeks I would not have done things differently regarding my purchase. It seems like in the past I have heard it louder (maybe it depends on wind?)

Earlier this week I emailed MBUSA regarding this issue and I missed the return phone call. The very nice lady said she checked with Product Advice who said to look for any tape or stickers that may not have been removed by the dealer.
I didn't see any.

She said I could also take the car to my dealer and have them check the door alignment and window seals.
Congrats on your new car as well. Some are less noisy that others, though it seems they MOST (or some owners don't care) worsen quickly. In some crosswinds after some temperature changes, you'll be 100% convinced the door or window isn't shut.

Likely your dealer will hear the noise, and even if they admit it's more than any other MB they have been in (which it is), they aren't likely to point to a fix for it.

The dealers will call it 'normal', and "MBUSA depends on it's dealers for defects". You could insist they change your door seals and window seals, as others have, which will maybe improve it some.

This issue unfortunately will require the help of the Mercedes engineers.

As others have posted. Mentioning it to dealer to have it added to a line item and filing it with MB is all you can do at this point. In time, a fix will come. Or C300 will go down as loudest wind noise car available in the USA.

FOR THOSE CONSIDERING 2015 C-Class. After a short period of ownership, this car has MORE wind noise than the prior years. Though lower road/engine noise.

Last edited by kellens; 03-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by kellens
Congrats on your new car as well. Some are less noisy that others, though it seems they MOST (or some owners don't care) worsen quickly. In some crosswinds after some temperature changes, you'll be 100% convinced the door or window isn't shut.

Likely your dealer will hear the noise, and even if they admit it's more than any other MB they have been in (which it is), they aren't likely to point to a fix for it.

The dealers will call it 'normal', and "MBUSA depends on it's dealers for defects". You could insist they change your door seals and window seals, as others have, which will maybe improve it some.

This issue unfortunately will require the help of the Mercedes engineers.

As others have posted. Mentioning it to dealer to have it added to a line item and filing it with MB is all you can do at this point. In time, a fix will come. Or C300 will go down as loudest wind noise car available in the USA.

FOR THOSE CONSIDERING 2015 C-Class. After a short period of ownership, this car has MORE wind noise than the prior years. Though lower road/engine noise.
If this post isn't propaganda, I don't know what is.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by alnamdds
If this post isn't propaganda, I don't know what is.
I'd go with B. That you don't know what it is.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by floridadriver
I'm sorry to hear that. I'd just make sure you have MBUSA file your concern about the wind noise. They might say you're the 'first' to raise the issue (you're not). No immediate reaction, but eventually, they'll have to amend the seals or whatever the issue is with the wind whistle.
I did immediately notify MBUSA of my displeasure as well as contact the dealer about the crappy work on the rear bumper cover. Neither the service writer or I inspected the work when I picked up my car as we both assumed it would be done correctly. My car goes back next week for more bumper cover work.

I hope everyone with wind/road noise concerns will take a few minutes to contact MBUSA to file a complaint. The number is (800) 367-6372. Hopefully MB will eventually get involved is this issue.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires

Now this is what should happen. Only difference is it's not for you to point out issues. The dealer is supposed to pick up issues in pre-sale inspection.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:28 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Now this is what should happen. Only difference is it's not for you to point out issues. The dealer is supposed to pick up issues in pre-sale inspection.
I agree....unfortunately here some dealers hope it won't be noticed,and the goal is for them to sell, sell. It gets forgotten how impressive it is and loyal customers can become when "the right thing" is done.

I can't help but wonder if Vance will receive the car they rejected and immediately throw it on a truck to another dealer, who will tell someone 'it's normal'. Obviously they are aware of the wind howl and bumper issues, and haven't fixed them yet.

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by floridadriver
I agree....unfortunately here some dealers hope it won't be noticed,and the goal is for them to sell, sell. It gets forgotten how impressive it is and loyal customers can become when "the right thing" is done.

I can't help but wonder if Vance will receive the car they rejected and immediately throw it on a truck to another dealer, who will tell someone 'it's normal'. Obviously they are aware of the wind howl and bumper issues, and haven't fixed them yet.
MB does have a fix for the bumper issue, in my case the dealer didn't execute the fix in a workmanlike manner.

Now they need to get onboard with the wind/road noise issue.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:08 AM

2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by c21bill
MB does have a fix for the bumper issue, in my case the dealer didn't execute the fix in a workmanlike manner.

Now they need to get onboard with the wind/road noise issue.
That is true, though my dealer insisted bumper is normal for the build as their other C class cars have it....I could push it but it doesn't bother me, as the wind noise does. I guess I meant that Vance still churns out cars with them to date from factory with these 2 issues well documented.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 PM

C300 2017
Exclamation C300 wind noise

HelenR - you were very lucky to test drive the actual car you were going to buy. Dietmar Exler CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA should be ashamed that the C300 has totally unacceptable wind noise! The problem continues into 2017 and I am a very unhappy Mercedes-Benz customer!

Last edited by Caramba; 05-15-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Caramba
HelenR - you were very lucky to test drive the actual car you were going to buy. Dietmar Exler CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA should be ashamed that the C300 has totally unacceptable wind noise! The problem continues into 2017 and I am a very unhappy Mercedes-Benz customer!
The window replacement fixes it for every case I've seen... This thread is two years old. Take your car in and complain about it, there's a bulletin that instructs to replace both front glasses with laminated glass and new seals.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The window replacement fixes it for every case I've seen... This thread is two years old. Take your car in and complain about it, there's a bulletin that instructs to replace both front glasses with laminated glass and new seals.
doesnt fix.. helps mask. I still get wind noise over 75mph even with acoustic glass. Noise penetrates seals around door.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
doesnt fix.. helps mask. I still get wind noise over 75mph even with acoustic glass. Noise penetrates seals around door.
Well, true it doesn't fix it, but if it's noisy outside and you can't hear it inside, it helps.

There's not much you can do to adjust the door seals, where do you hear it the most? You can adjust the door position slightly or even move the striker in to pull the door a little tighter when closed.

Yes the cars are not S class quiet, but if they are put together properly there shouldn't be any offensive wind noises.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:46 PM

C300 2017
C300 wind noise

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
ManiacGT - Did you ever have the door seals replaced? Or just the acoustic glass? Thanks
Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 4Matic
This is an old issue and thought Benz had resolved the issue with the new window and door seals and no longer building equipping c's with acoustic glass.

As this has been brought up again would be interesting to see where everyone registers in decibels at say 30 65 70+ Mph.
I just downloaded an decibel app and yeah I know not a scientific instrument but will be interesting to see where it registers.
I'll post my readings tomorrow.

dB Decibel Meter - sound level measurement tool by Elena Polyanskaya
https://appsto.re/us/tqsF-.i