C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Has anyone actually had a problem with this wrist pin issue besides the noise? Has it affected any of your car's performance?

Maybe it's better to just not get the repair so it won't be on file
Old 02-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
So, you are thinking it's simply a noise issue?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Originally Posted by Maritime
So, you are thinking it's simply a noise issue?
I think the issue is what adverse effect this will have on the engine in the long term. If there is an issue that props up in a few years, and you are still under warranty...no problem.

The noise seems to be getting louder in my car (when cold and decelerating from 20 mph to 10 mph).

So I'm not taking the chance. Mine goes in on Monday to have the wrist pins replaced. It took two weeks for the parts to arrive.

And it took the dealer two tries to verify the issue.

They will also be replacing the front window seals. They say this is now a two-step process. If the new seals doesn't resolve the wind noise, then they replace the glass. I wonder if they now have new and improved seals so they don't have to replace the acoustic glass.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by 49erPV

Build date for mine was 5/21/2015 and the serial numbers of my engine are 274920 E0 046527 which would have me think the engine was built in Tennessee although the window sticker said "Engine and transmission made in Germany". Do recall what your sticker showed?
Same...both engine & transmission "Germany"

Old 02-25-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
[QUOTE=PeteInGilroy;6718407]
The noise seems to be getting louder in my car (when cold and decelerating from 20 mph to 10 mph).

Mine was as well. That's what prompted me to bring it in to verify what the noise was, (I originally thought it might have been the injectors).
Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 w205
Thanks for to all who have posted in this thread. It is valuable info that everyone should know.

As of now, it seems that I do not have any engine ticking or noise (knock on wood). I have not noticed anything close to what people have been experiencing, and my car is MY15 build date 3/15. I have about 8400 miles right now and so far everything has been great. I am taking it in for the Service A in a week or so, and will ask about any TSB's that cover my car. I also leased so even if it does end up with some sort of problem, MB can deal with it next year when I return the car.

I hope that everyone who has this issue gets the resolution they deserve. I feel for you guys and it definitely sucks.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM

2015 C300
You can bet their lawyers know how.
I'm sure they do. Still, this whole thing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth towards Mercedes
Old 02-25-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by kram1
I'm sure they do. Still, this whole thing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth towards Mercedes
Things like this happen to every manufacturer. There's always someone who has been burned by a brand. If everyone adopted the stance, "I know someone that had a problem with brand x so therefore I'm never buying that brand again" there would be no products left for anyone to buy. Statistics are what's important, not single issues.

To understand the scope of any problem and proceed in a thoughtful manner it's important to find the root cause. It could a percentage of defective parts made it through inspection without detection. It could be a faulty assembly jig, or it could be an incorrectly trained assembler. Let's say MB has ten techs assembling wrist pins into the pistons, one of them is doing it wrong 1 in ten times. So 1/10 of 1/10 of engines will have the problem. If you have meticulous records, you may be able to identify VIN ranges that were affected, or not.

In situations when the defect doesn't affect safety, a silent recall can be the best option. When a customer complains about it, they fix it. Usually, this will be the case even out of warranty. MB is good with that.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Banned

2016 c450
Oh, yes, Mercedes is good with that.... I recently got rid of a 2003 e 320 that had 55,000 miles. Why? Something called a brake control unit. Mercedes didn't notify me years ago it extended the warranty 10 years owing to excessive failures. Mine crapped out 20 days after the ten year extension. Mercedes refused to contribute one cent. It cost me $2,600. Yes, indeed, Mercedes is good about that so drive on brother.
The following users liked this post:
voltdriver (03-29-2019)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by lbowroom
Things like this happen to every manufacturer. There's always someone who has been burned by a brand. If everyone adopted the stance, "I know someone that had a problem with brand x so therefore I'm never buying that brand again" there would be no products left for anyone to buy. Statistics are what's important, not single issues.

To understand the scope of any problem and proceed in a thoughtful manner it's important to find the root cause. It could a percentage of defective parts made it through inspection without detection. It could be a faulty assembly jig, or it could be an incorrectly trained assembler. Let's say MB has ten techs assembling wrist pins into the pistons, one of them is doing it wrong 1 in ten times. So 1/10 of 1/10 of engines will have the problem. If you have meticulous records, you may be able to identify VIN ranges that were affected, or not.

In situations when the defect doesn't affect safety, a silent recall can be the best option. When a customer complains about it, they fix it. Usually, this will be the case even out of warranty. MB is good with that.
That may all be true - but when it's your car that it happens to, it's hard not to feel the way I do.
The following users liked this post:
voltdriver (03-29-2019)
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

2016 c450
That's a complete load of crap, and so is Mercedes response.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM

C450
Oh, yes, Mercedes is good with that.... I recently got rid of a 2003 e 320 that had 55,000 miles. Why? Something called a brake control unit. Mercedes didn't notify me years ago it extended the warranty 10 years owing to excessive failures. Mine crapped out 20 days after the ten year extension. Mercedes refused to contribute one cent. It cost me $2,600. Yes, indeed, Mercedes is good about that so drive on brother.
First, I'll empathize with you. You got a raw deal, they should have covered it. Shame on them.

Now, I'll be a bit harsh. Mainly because most of your posts are aimed to incite a response.

Not notifying you is the definition of silent.

Had they notified you, would it have failed sooner?

An extension to a 10 year warranty! Wow, that's super long! I suppose it would be reasonable for MB to assume the failures would manifest in that timeframe. Perhaps the fuel got gummed up from not enough use.

Didn't seem to stop you from purchasing another.

Apologies brother...
Old 02-25-2016, 08:39 PM

C450
That may all be true - but when it's your car that it happens to, it's hard not to feel the way I do.
Completely understandable, we're all human.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

2016 c450
Mercedes convinced the government not to recall the car for this defect by extending the warranty to the time of likely failure with likely mileage.

The car should have been recalled. I was penalized for driving 5000 miles a year (thereby not hitting the known incidence of likely failure, based on mileage) and Mercedes dealt with it badly in my case.

Had Mercedes notified me, including information of the known incidence of failure based on a specific range of mileage, I'd have taken the damn thing in and had it inspected and likely replaced within the ten year period. It was never a question of if it would fail, only when, and this was admitted to the government years ago.

Why wouldn't I buy another one? (I also have a 2015 CLS 400) I learned two lessons. Buy an extended warranty and sell the car when it expires.

As for the rest of your crap, well, it's just sophistry and surplusage.

Now, I'll be a bit harsh: eat my shorts.

Last edited by Maritime; 02-25-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
Originally Posted by lbowroom

This is not an isolated problem. My understanding, from reading the TSB, is that a bunch of the wrist pins installed in this engines are out of tolerance (i.e., slightly too small). Without a snug fit, they rattle in the rod or piston. As the engine heats up, the pin and rod expand slightly, and the noise goes away. The potential longer term effect of the defect is that the pin could fail or move and score the cylinder. (This is all my non-engineer's take).

This is either a design defect or a supplier quality problem, as was the bleeding seats, the squealing brakes, the window seals, etc. etc. I've had them all and I'm not happy with MB's lack of design verification or its quality control.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 c300
Where can you find the serial # for the engine? It seems I may have the same issue. MY car was built in July 2014 in Alabama. MB should have stepped up and notified all owners that fall under these manufacturing parameters for this issue.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:13 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by magicman
Where can you find the serial # for the engine? It seems I may have the same issue. MY car was built in July 2014 in Alabama. MB should have stepped up and notified all owners that fall under these manufacturing parameters for this issue.
If your car was manufactured in July of 2014, then it definitely could be affected as the way I understand it, this could pertain to any engine manufactured before April of 2015. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Thumbs down Vaunted Mercedes engineering

Originally Posted by djdj
This is not an isolated problem. My understanding, from reading the TSB, is that a bunch of the wrist pins installed in this engines are out of tolerance (i.e., slightly too small). Without a snug fit, they rattle in the rod or piston. As the engine heats up, the pin and rod expand slightly, and the noise goes away. The potential longer term effect of the defect is that the pin could fail or move and score the cylinder. (This is all my non-engineer's take).

This is either a design defect or a supplier quality problem, as was the bleeding seats, the squealing brakes, the window seals, etc. etc. I've had them all and I'm not happy with MB's lack of design verification or its quality control.
The word from one of the mechanic foremen at my dealer is that it is a Mercedes design problem (and failure to adequately test, perhaps including testing under all temperature conditions). For this reason, the problem affects engines wherever they are made, even in Germany.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 PM

W205
Car came home after 3 weeks in the shop. Everything in the car is working good so far, aside from my COMMAND screen not turning on during my commute this morning. About 20 minutes after I got to work I went out and started the car and it turned on magically. It's probably an unrelated issue.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Popcrnchicken
Car came home after 3 weeks in the shop. Everything in the car is working good so far, aside from my COMMAND screen not turning on during my commute this morning. About 20 minutes after I got to work I went out and started the car and it turned on magically. It's probably an unrelated issue.
No you need to have them Cheched.

A tsb indicates there's an internal short for the screen. I had it happened once and they replaced the screen.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:01 PM

W205
Originally Posted by arnold0523
No you need to have them Cheched.

A tsb indicates there's an internal short for the screen. I had it happened once and they replaced the screen.
Ugh another issue. My service advisor told me this morning that this happens sometimes. He said to turn the car off and on again, and if that doesn't work, to unplug the battery for 40 minutes and try again. If neither of these works, then I should bring it in.

Everything is working now, so I will wait and see if it happens again.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:09 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Ugh another issue. My service advisor told me this morning that this happens sometimes. He said to turn the car off and on again, and if that doesn't work, to unplug the battery for 40 minutes and try again. If neither of these works, then I should bring it in.

It's very intermittent. You can't rely on it happening at the dealership or have them replicate the issue. Ask them to connect the computer of the car and they should be able to see a fault code, indicating there's a potential internal short, then they will need to reference to a LI document (I don't have it on top of my head). Something wrong in electrical side is always gonna stay WRONG else they fix it. I personally care more about the safety issue the short may cause to the car's computer - even unlikely but possible. When your computer messes up, you are screwed because everything is controlled by the computer (or computers in this case as Mercedes has multiple...)
Old 03-01-2016, 02:21 PM

2015 C300

This happened to me about 8 months ago. Shut the car down, restarted and it came back up - hasn't happened again since.

I too had my engine rebuilt and have had the car back for a week now. It seems to be running fine but I have noticed my MPG seems a bit lower for this first half tank of gas. Some posters earlier in this thread mentioned they noticed their MPG lower as well. Not sure if it's a result of the rebuild or not, as it can vary a bit, but something to keep an eye on.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:34 PM

W205
This happened to me about 8 months ago. Shut the car down, restarted and it came back up - hasn't happened again since.

I too had my engine rebuilt and have had the car back for a week now. It seems to be running fine but I have noticed my MPG seems a bit lower for this first half tank of gas. Some posters earlier in this thread mentioned they noticed their MPG lower as well. Not sure if it's a result of the rebuild or not, as it can vary a bit, but something to keep an eye on.
Actually, I have noticed lower mpg. Need to drive it a lot more to be sure though. So far the meter is reading 23.7mpg, when I use to get closer to 30.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:39 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Talking about MPG. Do you guys drive on the same road, similar weather and temperature, and traffic condition? There's a lot of variables here. But if you are talking about 23 vs 30 that's a BIG difference...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise