C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

So if the wind noise is produced by the mirrors..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Yup, that's the conclusion that everyone jumped to early on. While the MBTex fiasco was clearly a US production problem, it had nothing to do with the MB factory in Alabama. ALL of the other common issues (rear bumper fit, wind noise, etc) are coming from other factories as well.
Doubt that many would argue that Alabama hasn't had the most issues with this brand new car, but I don't think any factories or their suppliers are immune. Hopefully rapid and thorough acknowledgements and fixes coming!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by floridadriver
Hopefully rapid and thorough acknowledgements and fixes coming!
I thought I read other members saying that MB has decided this is not a problem and that it was by design. I'm under the impression that there are no plans to do anything about it, and that it's all luck whether or not you get one with excessive wind noise.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Vihzel
I thought I read other members saying that MB has decided this is not a problem and that it was by design. I'm under the impression that there are no plans to do anything about it, and that it's all luck whether or not you get one with excessive wind noise.
Yea, their heads are in the sand on their official messages to consumers, but vast majority of W205 world-wide seems to have the wind noise issue or develop it. (admittedly, I base this on the forums and fact 28 C300s on lot here dealer had driven and 100% had the 'noise issue to some degree') True, some might not or have drivers who don't hear it or care. It's not subtle....MB will fix it in time out of need.

Last edited by floridadriver; 03-16-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by Vihzel
I think that may be the people with Jiminy Cricket living in the dash.

I have just dropped off my car at the dealers to investigate the wind noise. My car has the gap where the plastic fitment is not flush with the car - thanks to the forum members who posted photos earlier, these were really helpful..
The loaner is a 2015 C200, the plastic fitments are flush on this loaner car. I will check in the morning on my highway drive to work re wind noise in this car.
I am trying to build a bit of a relationship with the service manager after a rocky start where he was somewhat patronising when I initially raised my concern regarding the wind noise- I was given a lecture about run flat tyres, complete with hand movements, (because I am a woman and probably don't know what RFs are?) however,after completing a feedback survey where I clearly expressed my displeasure about my experience things have certainly improved and I am hoping that I can work constructively with him on the issue with the car.the car is also in having the ripped pano sunshade repaired a whole other story.....
Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 BMW 520d xDrive, MB W205 C200 AMG Line
My car will have it's driver's side mirror replaced because of the bad alignment and wind noise (pictures on the first page of this thread) I will post later if it helped or not.

Front door rattling leds were succefully replaced with appropriate ones today.

During the maintenance today, i drove a loaner C-class that had perfectly aligned mirrors, but because it had studded runflat tyres, the noise was so terrible i could not even have heard the wind noise if there was any.

The loaner was C180 Excusive, delivered to the dealer december 2014.

They just ordered the new mirror, so it might take even a couple of weeks before it has been changed.

Last edited by El_Ucca; 03-17-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by El_Ucca
So far it seems to have helped, but i have only driven 20 kilometers after placing the tape, so i can not still say for sure.
Any luck with dealer finding wind noise cause?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kellens
Any luck with dealer finding wind noise cause?
As i said above, the driver's mirror will be replaced because of wind noise. Let's see after that if it helped or not.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My car is one that does not have excessive wind noise. It was an August build and has no more wind noise now than it did when I first drove it off the lot. Having said that ....

Both side mirror housings are flush with no gaps.

I do hear tire and road noise in the car, but at what I consider acceptable levels.

I can hear crosswinds and, if strong enough, they can sound loud.

Our highways are posted at 70 mph here, so I often cruise at 75-80 mph. There is no significant wind noise.

Other than the crosswinds noted, the only times I thought I was hearing wind noise turned out to be the heater fan. The climate control fan's output is loud and can sound just like wind noise, especially when it's on high.

I still think the most common cause of wind noise is improper fit of the side mirrors. If that creates any turbulence, it will be heard as wind noise. There may be other factors, including poorly applied weatherstripping on the doors. I don't believe there have been any reports of wind noise being generated from the sunroof.

In "the old days" we used to just apply pressure to the upper door frame to set it in slightly, and that eliminated most wind noise issues. Things were so much simpler then ....

Last edited by StanNH; 03-19-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
It's really ironic how at about the three minute marker, the guy in this video makes a big deal about how little wind or tire noise the C-Class has. I'm so confused...

Old 03-19-2015, 07:08 PM

C300
Originally Posted by hpilot
It's really ironic how at about the three minute marker, the guy in this video makes a big deal about how little wind or tire noise the C-Class has. I'm so confused...

Mercedes C-Class saloon 2014 review - Carbuyer - YouTube
Either the guy drove in zero wind and below 70, is paid, or deaf. The 2015 C has is decently quiet on road noise but has a lot of wind noise in the upper window near the A-pillar. There's a definitely problem. I own one. I ride in friends Kias, Hondas, Hyundais and marvel at how quiet they are with wind. There's a problem, it may not bother some though and feel it's part of the 'road feel'.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:14 PM

C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
My car is one that does not have excessive wind noise. It was an August build and has no more wind noise now than it did when I first drove it off the lot. Having said that ....

Both side mirror housings are flush with no gaps.

I do hear tire and road noise in the car, but at what I consider acceptable levels.

I can hear crosswinds and, if strong enough, they can sound loud.

Our highways are posted at 70 mph here, so I often cruise at 75-80 mph. There is no significant wind noise.

Other than the crosswinds noted, the only times I thought I was hearing wind noise turned out to be the heater fan. The climate control fan's output is loud and can sound just like wind noise, especially when it's on high.

I still think the most common cause of wind noise is improper fit of the side mirrors. If that creates any turbulence, it will be heard as wind noise. There may be other factors, including poorly applied weatherstripping on the doors. I don't believe there have been any reports of wind noise being generated from the sunroof.

In "the old days" we used to just apply pressure to the upper door frame to set it in slightly, and that eliminated most wind noise issues. Things were so much simpler then ....
The sunroof in this build doesn't seem the issue. I think a new door or window seal needs to come. The wind is so local to the upper forward third, it sounds like nothing's there. Even when cars pass. Something is loud in that area like a leak. Mercedes and dealers call it normal. It isn't.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300W4, 2011 G37, 1998 528i Sport 5MT
Whether MBUSA wants to admit it or not, many W205's have wind noise. My daily driver is a 1998 BMW 528i with 220K miles on it. Yesterday, freeway traffic was light so I turned off the radio, sped up and listened for wind noise. While there was road noise, there was no wind noise to speak of. So, I switched cars taking the C300 over the same stretch of freeway. Lots of wind noise. As for my G37, no wind ever in that car.

What is wrong with MB that they will not own up to this problem? Is their denial supposed to make the problem go away? I think the only thing going away will be customers and MB's reputation for building solid cars that ride quietly.

Wondering, has anyone with the wind noise problem found a remedy that works?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:33 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
Has anyone seen the new C300 TV spot called "The Choice"? One of the claims is "the quietest, or nothing"! A bit of a stretch IMHO!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by gocal73
Whether MBUSA wants to admit it or not, many W205's have wind noise. My daily driver is a 1998 BMW 528i with 220K miles on it. Yesterday, freeway traffic was light so I turned off the radio, sped up and listened for wind noise. While there was road noise, there was no wind noise to speak of. So, I switched cars taking the C300 over the same stretch of freeway. Lots of wind noise. As for my G37, no wind ever in that car.

What is wrong with MB that they will not own up to this problem? Is their denial supposed to make the problem go away? I think the only thing going away will be customers and MB's reputation for building solid cars that ride quietly.

Wondering, has anyone with the wind noise problem found a remedy that works?
Can you record the level of noise, on your smartphone or anything else and upload it somewhere for our opinion?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM

'13 VW Touareg, '15 Harley Ultra Limited, '15 C300 Spt, '14 Airstream Interstate, '16 VW Tiguan
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Can you record the level of noise, on your smartphone or anything else and upload it somewhere for our opinion?
Seems like one would need some very sophisticated sound equipment to record a realistic sample of what many of us are experiencing. Don't think a smart phone would do it.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM

C300
Originally Posted by c21bill
Has anyone seen the new C300 TV spot called "The Choice"? One of the claims is "the quietest, or nothing"! A bit of a stretch IMHO!
Yep. I'd dare someone to come up with any new production car with more wind noise than my C300, that isn't a convertible, and I'll give you $500.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 PM

C300 Hybrid (AMG Line), MG TF 160, BMW 120d
My new C300 Hybrid also suffers from this. Wind noise at speed is far more then I'd expect on such a car, worse even then the 13 year old estate it replaced!
I'll check the mirror alignment in the morning.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:35 PM

Update: My misaligned driver's side mirror has been hanged and it had no effect on the wind noise.
The following users liked this post:
Caramba (05-17-2017)
Old 04-06-2015, 03:43 AM

C300
Originally Posted by El_Ucca
Update: My misaligned driver's side mirror has been hanged and it had no effect on the wind noise.
Insist your dealer change both the door weather strips and window runs. Others are having improvement with this, until a fix comes. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C 300
I have wind noise. I took it to the dealer to look at this and 5 other issues. Unfortunately the dealer said this wind noise was normal (compared to other W205s) and there was nothing they could do. So unless MB officially comes out with a fix, looks like I am out of luck to have it resolved.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Its clearly an issue, perhaps of varying degrees. I have no wind noise in mine unless it is a windy day/there is cross wind. However I have driven another w205 and there was a wispy wind noise at the top of the drivers door on the motorway, it wasn't there all the time, just off and on but it was the very first thing I tested on my car. I'd say there's less wind noise even in a cross wind than my other half's Toyota, though a touch more than my BMW Z4 (which has special seals due to it being a folding hard top).