C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by YashaR8

1) i've read several posts about a loud,intrusive droning noise I'm hoping this was the exception rather than a more widespread issue, are there other folks on here who have to live with this?

2) Is the road/wind noise relatively muted at a steady highway cruise? There are days where being dead tired on the commute back home I would just want some peace and quiet in comfort mode, and a little road isolation

3) There have been a few posts about acceleration issues while passing someone after having slowed down. is this a widespread occurence?

4) while I'm loving the designo brown saddle interior, looks like i can't get it with the black ash trim which I also love, is it possible to have the dealer order and install one post-purchase?
1) I have not noticed any exhaust or other drone. However, I may not be the best judge as I also have a C63s with the performance exhaust and I always drive it in performance (loud) mode. Nonetheless, I don't think this is a worry, but take a test drive as this should be easy to hear.

2)Wind noise is quiet. Road noise, particularly on older concrete style roads, can be fairly loud due to the run-flat tires. If you swap out for non-run-flats, like Michelin PSS, you will get a smoother quieter ride and better handling.

3) The transmission does seem to have a quirk that shows up if you come to a near complete stop and then suddenly jump on the throttle. In some cases, the transmission takes a moment to sort itself out which can be a bit exciting if the reason you are jumping on the throttle is to move out of the path of an oncoming truck ;-). Nonetheless, this is a fairly rare occurrence and does not happen (in my experience) if you are traveling more than 10 MPH.

4) Sorry, no idea.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
YashaR8 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Is it common for the current Mercedes MF (0.00129) to have a dealer markup on it for the dealers business manager, moving the rate to 0.00169? The way the dealer has explained is they are buying the money at 0.00129 and selling it at 0.00169, I was always under the impression the rate remained flat but I admit I'm not extremely well versed in leading.

Any insight you guys have would me much appreciated.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Is it common for the current Mercedes MF (0.00129) to have a dealer markup on it for the dealers business manager, moving the rate to 0.00169? The way the dealer has explained is they are buying the money at 0.00129 and selling it at 0.00169, I was always under the impression the rate remained flat but I admit I'm not extremely well versed in leading.

Any insight you guys have would me much appreciated.
It is common for a dealer to try to mark up the price or the money factor to rip you off. You don't have to accept their attempt. If you have tier 1 credit you should not agree to anything above the lowest available Mercedes Financial rate.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500

1) i've read several posts about a loud,intrusive droning noise I'm hoping this was the exception rather than a more widespread issue, are there other folks on here who have to live with this?

2) Is the road/wind noise relatively muted at a steady highway cruise? There are days where being dead tired on the commute back home I would just want some peace and quiet in comfort mode, and a little road isolation

3) There have been a few posts about acceleration issues while passing someone after having slowed down. is this a widespread occurence?

4) while I'm loving the designo brown saddle interior, looks like i can't get it with the black ash trim which I also love, is it possible to have the dealer order and install one post-purchase?

Again, I'm hoping these are all rare issues and I'm excited to join the C450 community! Thanks in advance.
I'm in the middle of a large write-up of the first two months with the car.. now at 15000 miles, I'm having a lot more fun pushing it to limits where reasonable.

But, to answer a few of your ?'s from my perspective.

1) yes there is a drone at speed. When driving at 65-80 one can hear a din coming from either the exhaust or the tips, but it can be heard in the car. Coming from a C300 and having had E', S', different C's, CLS before it's a bit more din than I would prefer to always have. I really like the C300 quiet cabin, one felt like in a vault and calm hurtling down the road at 75/80. With the C450, there is always a little background sound. I wish I could turn it off completely some times, but I think we'll get more used to it.

2) the pzero tires make noise. You can hear them touching the ground and moving over it. Some surfaces here in CA are worse than others. The grooved concrete for rapid rain removal are the worst and at first I thought I had lost a tire. It's a combination of tread pattern and grip dynamics. In the future I'm going to use a different tire. Honestly, I don't need the level of soft/grip that the PZERO offers, and would prefer something a TAD more all season and quieter.

The mirrors don't really make much noise, but there is some wind noise coming in the windows. I don't have the insulated front panes - may try and get them to comp it at some point - but I hear the more recent builds have it as standard. Probably helps for 3-5 db.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
On the C450, the manual indicates there are 2 12 volt sockets on the front console and rear console, but I couldn't find it. Anybody know where it is?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
Originally Posted by wyee99
On the C450, the manual indicates there are 2 12 volt sockets on the front console and rear console, but I couldn't find it. Anybody know where it is?
I think they may just mean the one in the dash, cigarette lighter and the one in the glove box, then there is another in the back in the middle for rear seat passengers.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB C450 - June 2016
Hey all, new to the board. Working on a C450 build and have most of it figured out but torn on colors. Was leaning towards the Obsidian metallic with Cranberry interior and ash wood trim but my wife went with me today and said she likes the Designo Platinum Nappa seats. Anyone have the platinum in the non-AMG seats. If so, curious to see how they wear over time and if the white portions hold up. Any constructive feedback on the cranberry vs. Designo platinum would be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 AM

Serious question, since I'm only doing a 36 month lease (and thus don't care whatsoever about the longevity of the engine life), should I just drive it like I stole it from day 1 and ignore the "break in period" I was going to follow when purchasing it?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280 Avantgarde
Serious question, since I'm only doing a 36 month lease (and thus don't care whatsoever about the longevity of the engine life), should I just drive it like I stole it from day 1 and ignore the "break in period" I was going to follow when purchasing it?
A break in period will give you a better experience for the 36 months.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by gaia
A break in period will give you a better experience for the 36 months.
In what ways?
Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The Infamous C450
Originally Posted by tan70ri
Hey all, new to the board. Working on a C450 build and have most of it figured out but torn on colors. Was leaning towards the Obsidian metallic with Cranberry interior and ash wood trim but my wife went with me today and said she likes the Designo Platinum Nappa seats. Anyone have the platinum in the non-AMG seats. If so, curious to see how they wear over time and if the white portions hold up. Any constructive feedback on the cranberry vs. Designo platinum would be appreciated.
I don't have either but I have sat in both. The Designo platinum is fabulous and the Cranberry isn't too bad itself. With proper maintenance either option will last a long time. The only caveat I'd like to mention is the color transfer from denim jeans. I have the Designo brown and they too get denim pollution so I wear jeans sparingly.

If I were in your position I would drive it as hard as I wanted. I did that with my other car which is a leased Audi A6. Definitely a different mindset when you know it's eventually going back.

Last edited by *Knowledge*; 03-27-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Thanks

Originally Posted by tivoboy
I'm in the middle of a large write-up of the first two months with the car.. now at 15000 miles, I'm having a lot more fun pushing it to limits where reasonable.

But, to answer a few of your ?'s from my perspective.

1) yes there is a drone at speed. When driving at 65-80 one can hear a din coming from either the exhaust or the tips, but it can be heard in the car. Coming from a C300 and having had E', S', different C's, CLS before it's a bit more din than I would prefer to always have. I really like the C300 quiet cabin, one felt like in a vault and calm hurtling down the road at 75/80. With the C450, there is always a little background sound. I wish I could turn it off completely some times, but I think we'll get more used to it.

2) the pzero tires make noise. You can hear them touching the ground and moving over it. Some surfaces here in CA are worse than others. The grooved concrete for rapid rain removal are the worst and at first I thought I had lost a tire. It's a combination of tread pattern and grip dynamics. In the future I'm going to use a different tire. Honestly, I don't need the level of soft/grip that the PZERO offers, and would prefer something a TAD more all season and quieter.

The mirrors don't really make much noise, but there is some wind noise coming in the windows. I don't have the insulated front panes - may try and get them to comp it at some point - but I hear the more recent builds have it as standard. Probably helps for 3-5 db.
Appreciate the reply, the difference in cabin feel/isolation with the c300 is a helpful comparison ,and to me anyway, seems like a small trade-off for the additional joy the c450 brings to the table.

Looking forward to your write-up!
Old 03-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by *Knowledge*
I don't have either but I have sat in both. The Designo platinum is fabulous and the Cranberry isn't too bad itself. With proper maintenance either option will last a long time. The only caveat I'd like to mention is the color transfer from denim jeans. I have the Designo brown and they too get denim pollution so I wear jeans sparingly.

If I were in your position I would drive it as hard as I wanted. I did that with my other car which is a leased Audi A6. Definitely a different mindset when you know it's eventually going back.
Thanks dude, I'm planning to give it a hard break in unless someone has a very compelling reason to do otherwise.

Also, very surprised to hear the Brown saddle Designo has poor denim transfer...I ordered these seats in my build and didn't even once consider that the brown would attract/show the blue. Pretty much every day Friday-Sunday I wear jeans, unless I'm heading to the club to play golf. That might be an issue for me. Is it easy to wash off?
Old 03-27-2016, 03:18 PM

The Infamous C450
Thanks dude, I'm planning to give it a hard break in unless someone has a very compelling reason to do otherwise.

Also, very surprised to hear the Brown saddle Designo has poor denim transfer...I ordered these seats in my build and didn't even once consider that the brown would attract/show the blue. Pretty much every day Friday-Sunday I wear jeans, unless I'm heading to the club to play golf. That might be an issue for me. Is it easy to wash off?
I was wearing some daaaark blue jeans regularly that would bleed right where I would slide into the seat. Damp cloth comes right off but I definitely limit how much I wear those pairs of dark denims now.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:19 PM

The Infamous C450
Finally got some tint a couple days ago and here's a pic I shot today. 28% all the way around. Pic may not be the best to show the tint but it looks pretty good.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:27 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Finally got some tint a couple days ago and here's a pic I shot today. 28% all the way around. Pic may not be the best to show the tint but it looks pretty good.

Great pic, stunning ride!
The following users liked this post:
*Knowledge* (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Just drive your car buddy, as long as you are not taking it to the racetrack right away and doing multiple burnouts day after day, then there will be no issue, it doesn't matter if you will keep it for 3 years or 10 years. Driving everyday in sports+, or whatever mode you like, at any speed on public roads will not harm the car. Most of these discussion about break in in these modern cars are totally unnecessary
Old 03-27-2016, 04:58 PM

2016 C450
Hi there folks, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've had my eye on a mercedes for quite some time, but never new what I was missing until I drove a friends S4 recently while my car was in the shop. Its finally time for a new whip, and I instantly took to the more generous torque and horsepower as well as engine noise, but the new merc interiors on the c-class line had me thinking S4-type sportiness but in MB form. So reading up on the C450 has me very excited, and I plan to take the plunge and get one in early April.

I've read most of the posts on here and did some of my own research and a few concerns have come up I was hoping i could get a few replies to:

Again, I'm hoping these are all rare issues and I'm excited to join the C450 community! Thanks in advance.
I have been driving my C450 now for over 5 months and I don't understand the complaints about droning Yes, if you listen carefully, you can definitely hear the engine in the background, but it's really not that intrusive, and much quieter than the C63. It's a performance car people!! If you want a quiet ride, then get the C300, if you don't want to hear anything, there are multiple electric vehicles on the market now.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 PM

2016 C450
Question for fellow C450 owners. When you turn off your car in sports plus mode, and then restart within 4 hours, does the engine always rumble to life as advertised, or do you get a quiet start? Most of the times, my car will just give me the quiet start, even though I had it in sports plus mode before
Old 03-27-2016, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
Mine rumbles and crackles.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:46 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by autopal
I have been driving my C450 now for over 5 months and I don't understand the complaints about droning Yes, if you listen carefully, you can definitely hear the engine in the background, but it's really not that intrusive, and much quieter than the C63. It's a performance car people!! If you want a quiet ride, then get the C300, if you don't want to hear anything, there are multiple electric vehicles on the market now.
I just wanted to be sure it wasn't too intrusive, so your post is reassuring, thanks. I appreciate some engine sound/character, burbles/pops in performance cars, but maybe not to the level of a C63
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I am not annoyed by the exhaust at all... You can hear it at certain highway speeds, but it is not an unpleasant sound and it is not loud at that speed. With the radio at low levels you do not hear the exhaust over it. Really a non-issue IMO.

Last edited by nvestr; 03-28-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E63S: Former cars 2016 C450, 2013 C350, 2009 C300
so i just got my carbon fiber dash in from MA Carbon and was wondering if the vents from the CLA would fit in the C class. I would like to replace them if so as i like the look of them better then the c class vents
Old 03-27-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
996 Carrera, G55 AMG

Could you be so kind as to post some more interior pics? Thanks!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2012 C350 4Matic Sport
I didn't notice highway drone during my C450 test drive. Yes, you can hear the exhaust, but it certainly is not objectionable, and I would not describe it as drone. My current 2012 C350 Sport also has a bit of exhaust sound on the highway. I like it! Looking forward to my C450.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.