C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 AMG Sport discussion only.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
Great thread! I’ve been following along for a little over a month now, as I’ve been searching daily for any tidbit of information I could get on this car. I’ve been surprised at just how little google has returned. But this thread has been a fantastic source.

Many thanks to iwokforwine, vipershade and tmoneyc450amg for posting pics and sharing your experience with your new C450s! I’m sure there have been many others, like me, who have enjoyed seeing the posts and have been taking notes.

What initially caught my eye about this car was the beautiful interior! I was blown away when I first saw it. It's still the biggest differentiator (for me) as I compare this car to it's competitors. I also really like the color of the cranberry red. It’s not too bright, or too brown, like the interiors that I've seen in BMWs. I especially liked the textured look that the perforations gave the seats on the C400 that I saw at the dealership. My first question is - are the seats on the C450 perforated like the ones I saw on the C400? I've read on this forum that the ventilation is not available as advertised on the MBUSA builder. The builder also shows perforated seats, but I'm now curious as to whether this is indeed the case. I'm not seeing the perforations in the picture you posted. I'm hoping it's just due to the resolution and not that perforated leather only comes with ventilated seats.

As for interior scheme; with the C450, I'm now torn between the black w/red stitching leather and carbon fiber trim or the cranberry leather with natural grain black ash that you have. I have yet to actually see the carbon fiber in person, though. Either way, I like the perforated look shown on the MBUSA builder. I'm hoping that I can still get that.
Thanks, I'm glad my posts, along with iwork and viper have helped those on the fence act more decisively on the c450. It really a magnificently built machine, if you're someone who wants something close to a c63 but need the all wheel performance, the 450 is the way to go. It really is fast enough for anyone who drives/lives in/near major metropolitan areas.

Its a great competitor to S4 and the 340xi, however, like many of you guys on this thread, there isnt any comparison when it comes to the styling both exterior and especially interior of the c450, compared to a comparable audi lexus or bmw.

Now to answer the question of perforated seats, unfortunately, the c450 does not come with perf leather seats now does it have the seat cooling option. My sales rep told me there was a problem with the supplier of such parts during the build. It may become available on later models however.

The only option I may have regret not getting would be the sports steering wheel. Other than that i love the pano roof, lighting packing is a huge must and i love everthing about it and the rearview camera is all i need without the entire multimedia package.

Here are a few pics I've taken at night. Please excuse my old iphone 5S quality photos

Im also somewhat glad I didnt get a chance to add the Night Package plus because it might have been overly done w the high glory black paint. I still the sleeper/luxury sport look rather than the overly aggressive look. Just my opinion. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450
Hello, I've enjoyed reading everyone's sharing of details.

Today, I have on order a c450 with iridium silver, black leather, night package, carbon fiber spoiler, prem 2 package, 19" multi spoke black wheels and rear camera. I will post pictures when the car is delivered on or before Christmas 2015.

The only thing which may get annoying is how the car does not save the previous dynamic mode which was last used.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 AM

2016 C450
I also looked at the carbon fiber option, but I noticed it picked up finger prints which would annoy me. I went with the black ash wood option.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Great thread! I’ve been following along for a little over a month now, as I’ve been searching daily for any tidbit of information I could get on this car. I’ve been surprised at just how little google has returned. But this thread has been a fantastic source.

Many thanks to iwokforwine, vipershade and tmoneyc450amg for posting pics and sharing your experience with your new C450s! I’m sure there have been many others, like me, who have enjoyed seeing the posts and have been taking notes.
+1 to what tmoney said, I'm glad that our posts are able to help in situations where dealer/manufacturer info is thin or non-existent.

What initially caught my eye about this car was the beautiful interior! I was blown away when I first saw it. It's still the biggest differentiator (for me) as I compare this car to it's competitors.
Agreed, the interior is pretty much untouchable. When you see it, all of the junior-S/baby-S comments make sense. Even within the Mercedes' lineup it is hard to touch, you have to go up to the S-Class or AMG GT S before you get to an interior that looks better.

I also really like the color of the cranberry red. It’s not too bright, or too brown, like the interiors that I've seen in BMWs. I especially liked the textured look that the perforations gave the seats on the C400 that I saw at the dealership. My first question is - are the seats on the C450 perforated like the ones I saw on the C400? I've read on this forum that the ventilation is not available as advertised on the MBUSA builder. The builder also shows perforated seats, but I'm now curious as to whether this is indeed the case. I'm not seeing the perforations in the picture you posted. I'm hoping it's just due to the resolution and not that perforated leather only comes with ventilated seats.

As for interior scheme; with the C450, I'm now torn between the black w/red stitching leather and carbon fiber trim or the cranberry leather with natural grain black ash that you have. I have yet to actually see the carbon fiber in person, though. Either way, I like the perforated look shown on the MBUSA builder. I'm hoping that I can still get that.
The designo interior is definitely perforated, even with the performance seats which are never vented (so I am not 100% convinced that perforations have to be tied to ventilation). There were a few early builds listed in dealership's inventories with vented seats (not sure if the ventilation was ever confirmed).

tmoney confirmed no perforations in his leather, is that consistent with everyone that has taken ownership?

Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg
Thanks, I'm glad my posts, along with iwork and viper have helped those on the fence act more decisively on the c450. It really a magnificently built machine, if you're someone who wants something close to a c63 but need the all wheel performance, the 450 is the way to go. It really is fast enough for anyone who drives/lives in/near major metropolitan areas.

Its a great competitor to S4 and the 340xi, however, like many of you guys on this thread, there isnt any comparison when it comes to the styling both exterior and especially interior of the c450, compared to a comparable audi lexus or bmw.
+1

Here are a few pics I've taken at night. Please excuse my old iphone 5S quality photos
Nice... Thx for sharing these... I love the look of the AHA LEDs.

Im also somewhat glad I didnt get a chance to add the Night Package plus because it might have been overly done w the high glory black paint. I still the sleeper/luxury sport look rather than the overly aggressive look. Just my opinion. Enjoy!
Yeah, I agree... the night package plus looks good with black paint, but I would be hesitant with any other color. Also, I find myself gravitating to the silver AMG front apron.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by willywonka
Hello, I've enjoyed reading everyone's sharing of details.

Today, I have on order a c450 with iridium silver, black leather, night package, carbon fiber spoiler, prem 2 package, 19" multi spoke black wheels and rear camera. I will post pictures when the car is delivered on or before Christmas 2015.
Nice... congratulations!

The only thing which may get annoying is how the car does not save the previous dynamic mode which was last used.
Yeah, there was a thread about this in the W205 AMG forum. I need to find it... I think it talks about starting the engine in sport+. The dash will start in comfort, but you can start the engine from there in sport+. Obviously, this is more for exhaust, but it might be worth a try. I'll see if I can find the post.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:54 AM

2016 C450
yes i read about starting it in sport+ for the exhaust sound. it keeps it in memory for 4 hours or so. I just wanted it to default to that so i would not have to change it every morning. I don't like the auto on off engine thing so sport + eliminates that.

Question: the night package is (1) black bottom lip front (2) black diffuser (3) black exhaust tips? Does it get rid of the diamond grill and add some black on the side piece?

I may have to get rid of that ..kind of undecided.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 AM

A5 Sportback V6 Petrol
Anyone knows the choices therre are to setup the individual driving mode ?
Can we set comfort suspensions with sport exhaust sound for ex ?
Thx
Old 10-07-2015, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
yes i read about starting it in sport+ for the exhaust sound. it keeps it in memory for 4 hours or so. I just wanted it to default to that so i would not have to change it every morning. I don't like the auto on off engine thing so sport + eliminates that.
The 4 hour memory thing is not available on US models (not sure about Canadian models).

The comfort mode default has to do with government certification (the car was certified in comfort mode).

Question: the night package is (1) black bottom lip front (2) black diffuser (3) black exhaust tips? Does it get rid of the diamond grill and add some black on the side piece?

I may have to get rid of that ..kind of undecided.
There are two forms of night package:

Night Package refers to the blacked-out mirrors and window frames that come standard on the C450.
Night Package Plus adds the black rear diffuser, front apron, black tailpipes (for originally $300 which dropped to $200).

Also available with Night Package Plus in some countries (not the US) is tinted windows.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 AM

N/A
In depth review of C450

A very in-depth review on the C450:
Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by gawaynel
Yeah, we have seen this guy... he doesn't know how to adjust the performance seats
Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Bourne
Anyone knows the choices therre are to setup the individual driving mode ?
Can we set comfort suspensions with sport exhaust sound for ex ?
Thx
I created a walkthrough of all of the dynamic select setting: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ic-select.html

The comfort suspension and sport+ drive (including exhaust) is what I am currently using... (I like it).
Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipershade
I created a walkthrough of all of the dynamic select setting: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ic-select.html

The comfort suspension and sport+ drive (including exhaust) is what I am currently using... (I like it).
That's awesome, so pretty much you get the more gentle ride and still get the nice loud exhaust sound? I could see myself using that 75% of the time for my daily driving, and then putting it into Sport+ the other 25% when I really want to push it or have some fun
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 AM

I am normally, in work and in life in general, an extremely decisive person. This has not been the case for me when planning my future build on my C450 - I don't understand how indecisive people go through life, because this is driving me absolutely insane.

Now I can't decide if I should drop the Multimedia Package (but buy the Garmin MP SD card elsewhere) and add the HUD instead. I would also add the rearview camera, too. I will never store a single thing on the 200GB HD, as I just stream all my music through Spotify into the car via Bluetooth, and I really don't need a DVD player. So, pretty much, I'd just be paying for the larger higher resolution screen and the on-board nav rather than the Garmin MP nav - the screen size/resolution is something I guess I would need to see in person to really decide how much I value it.

Does the HUD navigation work with the Garmin SD card as well? Or only with the built in nav from the Multimedia package?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
Picked up my C450 yesterday! Very happy so far, will post pictures soon...

The car does indeed always start in comfort mode, regardless of what dynamic mode you were in last. However, I did notice that if your last mode was in Sport+, the startup exhaust has a noticeably sportier startup sound than if you left it in a lesser sport mode, even though it is still starting in comfort mode. kinda cool, but really wish it would default to starting in your last driving mode.

I ordered the standard 18" all season wheels as i have to battle NY winters, but really liked the look of the 19" options a lot better. Is anyone running 19" in the north east? Anyone planning on picking up a second set and swapping in/out all-season/summer tires? Wondering how the tire pressure monitoring system would be effected?...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
Also, coming from an 05' Acura TL, I don't consider the ride harsh at all in any of the driving modes. Very happy so far with balance in handling and ride comfort.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Does the HUD navigation work with the Garmin SD card as well? Or only with the built in nav from the Multimedia package?
I think that is definitely the key question... Can anyone help answer that?
Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by balessi75
Picked up my C450 yesterday! Very happy so far, will post pictures soon...
Excellent!

The car does indeed always start in comfort mode, regardless of what dynamic mode you were in last. However, I did notice that if your last mode was in Sport+, the startup exhaust has a noticeably sportier startup sound than if you left it in a lesser sport mode, even though it is still starting in comfort mode. kinda cool, but really wish it would default to starting in your last driving mode.
Interesting... I wonder if it matters whether you are in Sport+ or Individual (with Drive set to Sport+)?

I ordered the standard 18" all season wheels as i have to battle NY winters, but really liked the look of the 19" options a lot better. Is anyone running 19" in the north east? Anyone planning on picking up a second set and swapping in/out all-season/summer tires? Wondering how the tire pressure monitoring system would be effected?...
I just got a set of 19" Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 that will be on the car by Saturday. I don't plan to drive in the snow at all, but could in a pinch. My plan is to actually get a bigger set of wheels for summer (8.5 x 19 front, and 9.5 x 19 rear...at least).

Also, coming from an 05' Acura TL, I don't consider the ride harsh at all in any of the driving modes. Very happy so far with balance in handling and ride comfort.
I agree, I think the ride is very comfortable.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I am normally, in work and in life in general, an extremely decisive person. This has not been the case for me when planning my future build on my C450 - I don't understand how indecisive people go through life, because this is driving me absolutely insane.

Now I can't decide if I should drop the Multimedia Package (but buy the Garmin MP SD card elsewhere) and add the HUD instead. I would also add the rearview camera, too. I will never store a single thing on the 200GB HD, as I just stream all my music through Spotify into the car via Bluetooth, and I really don't need a DVD player. So, pretty much, I'd just be paying for the larger higher resolution screen and the on-board nav rather than the Garmin MP nav - the screen size/resolution is something I guess I would need to see in person to really decide how much I value it.

Personally, I think a car in this league deserves all the goodies, including the Multi-Media package. Even if you won't use all that it includes, you'd have them for a future need, which could come up. And yes, the bigger screen makes a huge difference, IMHO.

Also, from what I've gleaned from these threads, the Garmin Map Pocket isn't nearly as good as the built Nav with Comand in the Multi-Media package. I use Nav a lot and that's worth the price of admission alone - at least to me, it is.

If you don't get it and you regret it, it's not something you can add after the fact.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Personally, I think a car in this league deserves all the goodies, including the Multi-Media package. Even if you won't use all that it includes, you'd have them for a future need, which could come up. And yes, the bigger screen makes a huge difference, IMHO.

Also, from what I've gleaned from these threads, the Garmin Map Pocket isn't nearly as good as the built Nav with Comand in the Multi-Media package. I use Nav a lot and that's worth the price of admission alone - at least to me, it is.

If you don't get it and you regret it, it's not something you can add after the fact.
Totally agree. How much would he be saving, anyway? I just don't think it make sense to spend that kind of dough on a luxury car, and then not include an option like that, especially if you are in doubt, and might regret it later. I've seen too many people try to save a grand or 2 on their build, then end up spending thousands on aftermarket stuff and dealer ad ons. If in doubt, just get it bro
Old 10-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw

Originally Posted by autopal
Totally agree. How much would he be saving, anyway? I just don't think it make sense to spend that kind of dough on a luxury car, and then not include an option like that, especially if you are in doubt, and might regret it later. I've seen too many people try to save a grand or 2 on their build, then end up spending thousands on aftermarket stuff and dealer ad ons. If in doubt, just get it bro
Alright, you've convinced me...so now you guys owe me ~$2100, PM me for the address and name to make the check payable to. Thanks

Joking aside, my biggest issue with the steady stream of add-ons is that I know a car is a terrible investment (considering I work in Finance and am an avid investor, and a car is pretty much the worst investment possible)...so, I'm trying to limit the damage. That said, I've wanted a nice car as long as I can remember and now that I'm about 5 years out of school (where I've worked my *** off) and making 6 figures, I can comfortably afford it but I still feel like I'm stretching myself...just because I know of the "you should only spend 20% of your salary on a car" and "you should only buy a car you can pay cash for" rules. So, I'm trying to pinch pennies where I can. The kicker is that I could much more easily afford a CLA or a C300; however, I don't want a CLA or a C300 because I'd rather just drive my current car that's paid in cash for from college rather than have a payment on a car I "kind of want". Ya know? The upgrades to the C450 that I have approved just keep adding up...$2K for the Multimedia Package on a 5 year loan is really nothing when looked at monthly, but considering I've already approved so many other upgrades ($1300 for Carbon Fiber Trim, $900 for 19" wheels, $800 for the dynamic lights, $1480 for the panorama roof, $2150 for the Premium 2 package) it's adding up to a lot, very quickly. If I was making $200K I wouldn't have a care in the world and I'd probably being building a $75K C450, but for now I'm trying to keep it to around $63K.

Last edited by inhartwetrust; 10-07-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450
Alright, you've convinced me...so now you guys owe me ~$2100, PM me for the address and name to make the check payable to. Thanks

Joking aside, my biggest issue with the steady stream of add-ons is that I know a car is a terrible investment (considering I work in Finance and am an avid investor, and a car is pretty much the worst investment possible)...so, I'm trying to limit the damage. That said, I've wanted a nice car as long as I can remember and now that I'm about 5 years out of school (where I've worked my *** off) and making 6 figures, I can comfortably afford it but I still feel like I'm stretching myself...just because I know of the "you should only spend 20% of your salary on a car" and "you should only buy a car you can pay cash for" rules. So, I'm trying to pinch pennies where I can. The kicker is that I could much more easily afford a CLA or a C300; however, I don't want a CLA or a C300 because I'd rather just drive my current car that's paid in cash for from college rather than have a payment on a car I "kind of want". Ya know? The upgrades to the C450 that I have approved just keep adding up...$2K for the Multimedia Package on a 5 year loan is really nothing when looked at monthly, but considering I've already approved so many other upgrades ($1300 for Carbon Fiber Trim, $900 for 19" wheels, $800 for the dynamic lights, $1480 for the panorama roof, $2150 for the Premium 2 package) it's adding up to a lot, very quickly. If I was making $200K I wouldn't have a care in the world and I'd probably being building a $75K C450, but for now I'm trying to keep it to around $63K.
I understand man, just do what you think is best for you. I'm in my forties, and fortunate to be in a financial position that I can easily pay cash, so I'm not the best person to give advice, I always tend to go for everything. You just have to guard against buyers remorse, and it usually better to have an option that you don't need, than the other way around, but, at the end of the day, it have to be paid for, so just be prudent
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Maybe delete something that won't effect the performance or real use of the car like $1300 for Carbon Fiber trim.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM

none

If you are trying to save a few bucks, I would get rid of the carbon fiber trim and allocate those funds for the multimedia package because you can always add the carbon fiber stuff later on which is not the case for the multimedia package.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:09 PM
awz

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 C300, 2023 EQB 350
Highway Drive

Yesterday, I took my C450 for a 200-mile drive on the Interstate. I found the exhaust sound in Comfort mode to be as quiet at 70 mph in level cruise as my traded-in C400. However, with a slight uphill grade or light throttle increase, I noted the drone mentioned by Radarguy on p.46. Switching to Sport mode dropped the transmission one gear and made the drone go away. In Comfort, the same annoying note occurs at lower speeds with moderate throttle increase. The drivetrain always seems to be reaching for the highest possible gear for economy reasons in Comfort or Eco. Again, Sport or Sport+ cures the problem.
Although, I'm trying to restrain myself during the break-in period, the passing power of the C450 is impressive. With a kickdown at 70, you can find yourself rocketing past 100 very quickly. One oddity I noted is the discontinuity of the speedometer at 80 mph. Below 80, one increment on the speedometer represents 5 mph. Above 80, an increment represents 10 mph. So, if you're not used to it, when you think you're at 85, you're actually doing 90 mph. Fortunately, the head-up display always reads true. It's worth the asking price for that and the nav instructions.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S

Truthfully, I wouldnt spend th money on the carbon fiber trim. Its too expensive for what its worth IMHO, use that towards the multimedia package.

I for one was able to option my 450 and only pay 54k for i on a 4yr finance.
Luckily for me, being that my vehicle was the very first batch, the premium 2 package did come standard minus thr Burmester sound system, I think I saved on that. I just added interior cranberry red leather pkg, pano roof, linden wood trim, and lighhting package (pano and lighting are a def must IMO). Oh I was also given a 5% off MSRP on my order. I do semi-regret not getting the multimedia package, the wife wanted to skimp on that feature I for one would get it but i figure rebuttal process was not was not worth it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C450 AMG Sport discussion only.